No announcement yet.

Outlander (Starz)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlander (Starz)

Talk about the new Saturday night Starz drama based on Diana Gabaldon's books here!

New episode tonight, and the show has already been renewed for Season 2!

I was thinking about creating a thread when I found out it got renewed.

I never read the books but I did like the first episode. It felt slow at first but once she went back in time then the show went by fast.

I only watched because I saw ads for it talking about how she gets sent back in time that was what I was waiting to see the whole episode.
    Last edited by Halberdier17; 08-16-2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah, to be honest I wasn't that interested until I heard there was a time travel aspect and then I was like "ooooh." Haven't gotten to watch yet, though.

Comment

I quite liked Brianna and Roger's wedding. Seems like Stephen Bonnet is still alive (though, I suspected that he would be). My one issue is that it's established to have been months since the end of season four, yet some things feels like they should've already been handled by the characters. It is only now that Jamie sends the wanted Murtagh away.

Looking forward to the rest of season five.
        Last edited by jon-el87; 07-25-2022, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Minor speculation: Last season we were told that Claire and Jamie would perish in a fire... I think that they will fake their deaths. Hey, it's the 18th Century.* Jamie and Claire Fraser vanish, their house is burned down and two bodies (a man and a woman) are found inside. People would assume that it's Claire and Jamie (the bodies burned beyond recognition).

* Forensics haven't been invented yet.

Comment

Thought their visit to that house was quite spooky. Interested to find out what will happen to the child. Kind of hoping that they'll send her through the stones, to the 1970s. It'd be better and safer for her, being half-black. Sure, there were racism in the 1970s, but it stands between letting the kid grow up in the 1970s, versus her growing up little over 90 years before the abolishment of slavery.
            Last edited by jon-el87; 07-25-2022, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Really wish that they had taken the baby, through the stones, to the 1970s (this is the American south, in the 1770s). Of course, if they had, then they would've opened that possibility as a fix-all solution, and you're left wondering why they don't send x, y and/or z to the future (for their protection). Though, sending a newborn baby (who'd have no memories of this time period) would probably not be as problematic, as sending someone older (who'd likely have a harder time adjusting to the 20th century).
              Last edited by jon-el87; 07-25-2022, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Liked the conversation between Brianna and Roger. Highlighting that it might not be safe for a small child to travel through the stones. So, they can't just flee through them, to get away from Bonnet. In fact, they don't even know if their child can travel through them.
                Last edited by jon-el87; 07-25-2022, 02:41 AM.

Comment

I hope that Roger isn't dead. His head was covered, so it is possible that it will turn out to not be him (but, rather, a regulator who've taken his coat).
                  Last edited by jon-el87; 07-25-2022, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Wasn't expecting to see Ian. It quickly became clear that something had happened. At first, I was thinking that the tribe had been attacked (with Ian being the sole survivor), but it appears that his wife's just left him. Glad to see that Roger's still alive. I appreciate that there's a three month time jump, and they show that he hasn't fully recovered yet (and is still suffering from the trauma). Something bad happened to a character, and it was allowed to have lasting effects. Too many shows tend to brush aside things, eventually acting like it didn't happen.

Still waiting for them to get to the revolution (feels like they've been in 1771 forever), but that's probably for next season.
                    Last edited by jon-el87; 07-25-2022, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Getting hit by that buffalo really should've hurt Brianna. Even if its horns didn't get her, she's still hit by an animal, several hundred kilograms heavy, moving at high speed. Instead, she just gets up and is fine.
                      Last edited by jon-el87; 07-25-2022, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Glad that they finally took care off Bonnet.
                        Last edited by jon-el87; 07-25-2022, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Thought that the development for them going to the future was a bit rushed. Almost thought that they had forgotten about Otter Tooth. Curious to see where Roger and Brianna ended up. Probably not the 1970's.
                          Last edited by jon-el87; 07-25-2022, 02:45 AM.

Comment

A bit anti-climactic to have Roger and Brianna end up still being in the 1770s. Being so used to seeing the actors in 18th century clothes, I almost didn't recognize some of them, during the 1960s fantasy scenes.

Now they have this new Native American time traveler, who showed up. I wonder if they'll do something more with him, or if he'll end up like Otter Tooth (a character who appears to be forgotten most of the time). If they do something with him, will he be an antagonist (like Geillis Duncan)?
                            Last edited by jon-el87; 07-25-2022, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Haven't read any of the books, but I'm suspecting that they'll link the characters to the first shot at the battle of Lexington.

At the moment, the show hasn't been picked up past season six. Currently, there are eight books, with Gabaldon currently writing a ninth (the first since 2014). The big question is if the show should keep on going (doing all eight, soon nine (might not be the last), books), or if they should start try to round the series off. Looking at Wikipedia (the articles for the book series), the American Revolutionary War likely starts in season six. A war that ran for eight years. The eighth book involves the Battle of Monmouth (June 28, 1778). So they could be stuck with the American Revolutionary War for a lot of seasons. And it's not like the main characters are key historical figures, related to the Revolutionary War. They're fictional characters (some time travelers), who, occasionally, run into historical figures. They've run into George Washington, but Washington doesn't become the first President of the United States until 1789 (requiring the show to run for over a decade more, for the characters to witness his inauguration on April 30, 1789). Jamie isn't going to become a Founding Father, President or something (unless you're suggesting that George Washington is killed, and Jamie magically is able to take his place and identityx, without anyone realizing it).

Given the span between the releases of book eight and book nine, if they keep going, they'll run out of source material within a few seasons. After which, they'd have to Game of Thrones it, with the show being further ahead than the books they're based on. How much longer will the actors want to keep going, before wanting to move onto new things? So it might be a good idea, to quit while you're ahead. Take inspiration from parts of the remaining, existing books, and have the series reach some type of conclusion, either this season or in a seventh (provided that they'd even be picked up for one).
                              Last edited by jon-el87; 01-26-2021, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎