Collapse
No announcement yet.

Invisible - Early Clana standalone ( G)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invisible - Early Clana standalone ( G)

This features an often-overlooked character, Emily - and gives her a happier role in Smallville life with Clark and Lana.

Are you brave enough not to be "Invisible"?

Invisible

“Wallflower,” sneered Tony.

“Umm, pardon?” said Emily, looking up.

Music was pounding, teenage bodies gyrating, lights strobing. It was the first dance of Freshmen year. But Emily was unaware of most of it. Especially when she was sitting with her shoulders hunched over, reading - which she often was. She was made to go, so she may as well do something she enjoyed. The people in books didn’t bully or tease. If she didn’t like them, she could simply clap the page shut.

“Ugh Tony, push off,” said Lana. “Don’t mind him Emily. I didn’t want to come to this stupid dance anyway.”

Tony loitered a little longer. He’d already asked Lana to dance with him and she’d refused. She was hanging around with the Dinsmore Dork again. Why her and not him, he wondered.

“It’s okay Lana. I don’t care. I’m lucky I’ve got you as a friend.”

“But I don’t understand why people like him feel the need to tease or worse still, just ignore you? It’s like they pretend you’re not even there.”

Emily smiled; it was just like Lana Lang to take up for an underdog. They had been friends for a long time. As Lana grew, she became prettier and more popular, Emily became neither but that didn’t seem to matter to Lana one bit.

“Sometimes I feel like I’m not really here ... is that strange? I don’t fit in. I don’t like football or make-up or parties. I like swimming and animals and reading instead. It’s like the rest of the school's in a different world from me.”

Emily shrugged. She tried not to show Lana she minded but sometimes ... like now, it was hard to do when she felt like she was holding Lana back from having fun.

“Like ... you’re an alien from another planet?” whispered Lana.

Her pensive hazel eyes widened and regarded her friend a little closer. Clark, the nice boy next door, her other best friend – had told her he had been born on another planet.

Just after he told her he liked her a lot. She’d laughed at him at first, and told him she didn’t believe it. Until he held her hand for a whole five minutes and then kissed her on the cheek. And gave her a beautiful, red shiny ring from the gumball machine outside Quinn’s market as their “friendship token” to make her believe.

Oh, and to prove the alien thing he’d also lifted up the tractor. That was pretty cool. It was their secret. And that was cool too. She wished she could tell her best girl friend, Emily. But she’d promised Clark.

Emily smiled and shook her head a little, going back to her book. “The Little Prince” by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Perhaps one day she’d meet someone amazing like that. A different life form. He’d take her to his planet and they’d all be reading books and have frogs in jars under their beds, like her. Lana liked frogs too, just not under her bed.

“Well, the good thing is, this dance is nearly over. And then Aunt Nell said she’d take us for ice-cream,” said Lana smiling.

She looked around for Clark. She’d told him she’d save him a dance, but she hadn’t seen him all evening.

“Cool,” laughed Emily. “I don’t know if real aliens like ice-cream, but I do.”

Lana broke into a wide smile. Clark was approaching. She could ask him Emily’s question, but that would be telling.

“Oh, I bet they do too.”

“Hi Lana ... hi Emily. How are the two prettiest girls at the dance?” asked Clark.

Emily blushed a little. She liked Clark too, but Lana liked him more.

“He wants something,” said Lana to Emily. “That’s why he’s smooching up to us.”

“Jeez Lana ... I can’t fool you for a moment. You see right through me.”

“That makes two of you,” said Lana. “Emily is convinced she’s invisible.”

“Well, I hope she’s not, cause I want everyone to see me dancing with her,” smiled Clark. “Or else I’m gonna look like a real goose twirling around on my own.”

Emily giggled. “Oh no Clark ... I don’t want to, really. Ask Lana.”

“Lana promised me she’d dance with me anyway. But I need to practise first. Will you help me? Please?” Clark gave her his puppy dog look and it made her laugh more.

“Okay. You can step on my feet instead of Lana’s ... how’s that?”

“Perfect.”

Lana watched them go. And enjoyed the surprise on Tony’s face when he saw them dancing. Her two best friends were having fun and Lana was so glad. Then she had a brainwave. Perhaps Tony liked Emily and he didn’t know how to tell her ... besides being annoying and hanging around?

The last dance of the evening was spent with Clark’s strong arms around her waist. Lana laid her cheek against his chest and closed her eyes. Sometimes she felt lonely and sad with only Aunt Nell to talk to. But Emily’s friendship and being close to Clark made those feelings go away.

Aunt Nell did take them for ice-cream after the dance and that’s when Clark admitted that Lana had been right and he really did need a favour from them.

Although an excellent swimmer, Clark was afraid of heights. There was a field trip planned for the next day on the Smallville River, with boating and other aquatic activities. There was meant to be exhibition diving from the bridge but Clark had tried to get out of it without stating the real reason. The coach would only let him off if he could find a replacement. And he had his eye on Emily.

“No Clark ... I can’t do that, I’m sorry,” she said, shuddering at the thought of standing up there in a racing swimsuit with everyone looking at her.

“You can wear a neck to knee wetsuit for all I care,” pleaded Clark. “Just think about it, alright? If the class know I’m scared, I’ll never hear the end of it.”

Nell dropped Clark at the entrance to his driveway and then went home with Lana after taking Emily back to her place. She lived with her dad, who was often busy with his own projects and didn’t spend a lot of time with his daughter. Emily thought it was because he just didn’t understand her. Loved her well enough, but had no idea about the emotional rollercoaster a teenage girl who chose not to conform to boring stereotypes could go through.

She was met by welcoming barks as she unlocked the front door.

“Hey Lambchop,” she said, grinning, ruffling the shaggy white hair. “What’s cooking?”

When he was a puppy, he’d looked like a sheep and the name had stuck. He was a good listener, kind and patient. It was a good thing he couldn’t talk, because he knew all Emily’s secrets.

Including her decision to help Clark if she absolutely had to, even if it might mean propelling herself right where she didn’t want to be. Front and centre of everyone’s attention.

The day dawned fine and clear. A light breeze ruffled the surface of the smooth water near the bank. But the swirling eddies under the bridge spoke of hidden depths and pools unknown to surface dwellers. Groups of students were lined up on the grassy shore under teacher’s direction. The few brave souls chosen for the diving exhibition were huddled in a small knot on the top of the bridge. They spoke in hushed tones, which contrasted oddly with the merriment of the inner tube bobbers splashing in the non-swimmers race below.

Lana was there for moral support. Emily was too. Swim-gear hidden under her clothes. She would be there if Clark needed her. But Coach wasn’t in sight and everything was going fine until Tony and a couple of fellow-trouble makers decided to heckle the divers to ruin their concentration.

“You’re a lame duck Kent. You couldn’t hit water if you fell out of a boat.”

Just ignore him and he’ll go away. Clark averted his pale face, trying not to imagine the awful chasm underneath him. He willed away the sounds –bridge creaking, water gurgling, wind rushing ... his own heart beating faster. The normal safety barriers had been replaced by a colourful rope, clipped into a temporary pole. He wished there was a rail to lean on, he was feeling a little unwell from the vertigo.

But Tony seized his arm and tried to swing him back.

“Hey I’m talking to you!”

“Give it a rest Tony. I don’t see your name on the list of swimmers today. Floating cork collection duty is it?” said Lana stepping forward to intervene.

“Listen Lang,” Tony hissed, letting go of Clark and whipping around to grab Lana. He glanced at Emily then quickly looked away.

“There are plenty of girls lined up to take advantage of my ... cork popping skills. Look me up after Cowardly Clark here bellyflops from a great height, cause after that he won’t be any good to the ladies.”

“I’d take Clark in any shape – even flat as a pancake over you,” said Lana, struggling to be free of his grip. “Let go of me!”

Clark turned back from the removable railing, colour back in his cheeks.

No-one touched Lana. Not even him. Yet.

Emily began to chuckle at the funny mental picture of that scene, but then the smile faded from her face, to be replaced by one of shock and dismay.

Almost as if in slow motion, she saw Clark wrap one arm around Lana’s shoulders, pulling her away while he put up a hand to stop Tony advancing. The bully staggered back, teetered for a moment and then, with a scream, fell backwards through the flapping rope and off the bridge, heading for the foaming water.

Tony can’t swim. Emily didn’t hesitate; she sprang off the bridge, executing a rather nice forward somersault dive in the open position with a half twist on the way down.

“Oooh!” The water was so cold. She ducked under the surface, frantically searching for the unfortunate boy. Rocks ... tree roots ... an arm.

Moments later the two teachers patrolling the bank saw the boy bob to the surface, only to sink again, and come up once more, coughing and spluttering.

One waded in and pulled him out.

“I ... she ... “he gasped.

Clark quickly but reluctantly pulled Lana’s arms from his neck and scanned the water. He sighed in relief to see Tony surface and be hauled out, dripping and gesticulating, onto the grassy bank.

But something was wrong.

“Where’s Emily ... omigod, she’s a hero!” said Lana, not willing to stand too close to the awful gap where the rope was swinging wildly. “Cla...?”

But he was gone. And another body hit the water. Bubble entry. Coach noted the very fine inward one and a half somersault pike, and congratulated himself on choosing Kent for the diving team. Then he, too, ran to the bank. Emily Dinsmore’s effort was very creditable. She needed to be recruited as well.

Just one problem. With her foot stuck between two rocks, laces madly tangled because she hadn’t had time to kick off her shoes, Emily was rapidly running out of air. Maybe Lana was right, perhaps she was meant to die young? Suddenly two strong arms lifted her up and away, back to the life giving air and light of the surface world ... minus her shoe.

A short time later, three blanket-wrapped youngsters turned their heads to listen to the announcement stating the diving exhibition was concluded for the day. Well, they had put on quite a unique show.

Lana came racing down the steps, gathering Clark and Emily in one big hug.

“Thanks Clark, you saved me,” said Emily, patting his arm. “I know how you felt about ... things up there.” She slid her eyes sideways to Tony’s huddled figure, not wanting to spell it out. “I can’t believe you did that for me.”

“No, Emily ... I have to thank you,” replied Clark, taking a deep breath. “I think you cured me of ... that problem. When I knew you might be in trouble, I just had to dive in. I felt very calm actually ... well, tense cause I was worried ... but calm too.”

“You’re both heroes,” said Lana. “So brave, I could kiss you. But you made me so worried I want to smack you too,” she said, laughing.

“Lana,” said Clark, holding his breath while he took her hand in his. “I might be very interested in ... the ... the kissing part.”

He blushed as crimson as the blanket around his shoulders. He’d consider the smacking part later – within moderation of course.

Clark Kent stepping forward – twice in thirty minutes or so? thought Emily.

And she watched as Lana smiled and leaned forward a little, Clark did the same and their lips met in a sweet kiss.

“Wow. This day really is full of wonders,” she said out loud. “You make me believe anything could happen.”

The two teens broke apart, now hand in hand.

“Well, look at you,” said Lana. “You jumped off that bridge to save someone who’s been mean to you all year – what sort of amazing bravery is that!”

They heard throat clearing and turned to look at Tony.

“Umm ... about that. Emily ... Em. Can I call you that? I ... ahh want to say thanks and ... “

“It’s okay,” said Emily, shrugging her shoulders.

“No ... I ... have to say this. Now. Will you ... seeamoviewithmetonight,” Tony said in a rush. “And sometime when you’re free ... will you ... umm ... teach me to swim? Please?”

Emily looked around at the busy waterside scene from their pocket of quietude, then back at Tony.

“What’s happened to Smallville - is this a new world or something?” she asked, with a touch of wonder.

“You sound like Miranda in “The Tempest”, said Clark. “Brave New World and all that. You know, there is a whole new world out there every day. And most of it’s got nothing to do with High School.”

“Who’s that? Do I know her?” asked Tony, considering the name he’d heard.

“I’ll introduce you,” said Emily, eyes bright with their secret joke.

“If you can get Tony to read Shakespeare, then I’ll believe you can do any amount of amazing things,” said Clark patting the bewildered boy on the back.

“You know, that’s pretty funny coming from you,” said Lana.

And she winked at her newly-converted best friend-to-boyfriend. She was sure in her heart that Clark and his gifts would change the world one day. And she’d be right by his side to see it.

Then some solicitous teachers and supervising parents came bustling up to interrupt them with fuss over wet hair and hot drinks. Clark and Lana held hands all the way back in the bus, not caring who saw them. Except back at school where they had to let go to change into dry clothes. Then all three were the subject of congratulations - with a few warnings thrown in, at an impromptu assembly.

Tony waited until Emily glanced his way and gave an exaggerated eye roll and “blah blah” movements with his hands. Not very subtle but ... she smiled back at him. Takes all kinds, this world.

Emily thought about how this day had panned out. Just a short time ago, she’d been dreading the years to come, but if she had friends like Clark and Lana she might just get through after all. Even Tony – wow, there was a surprise.

While the Principal’s voice murmured about “finding the hero inside yourself”, she rummaged in her school bag to locate her copy of “The Little Prince”. Tony held out his hand and she passed it to him. He turned it over to study the back cover. Wow, he could read after all. She stifled a giggle. Or maybe he was just looking at the pictures.

Still, that old saying was pretty true - you sure couldn’t judge a book by its cover.

He handed it back, touching her hand for a moment longer than necessary, then looked away. Everyone had a face they presented to the world, some easier to deal with than others. It was only the very brave who let their private self shine through. But if you took a little time, knowing the beauty that lies hidden, you could learn to really see.

“It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupery- “The Little Prince”.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The End.

Cheers from SS - 17.5.14

Hi Seaspray, it's Nick again, here to say that what a beautiful fic this was. It was nice that you brought Emily back into the picture and that she helped to turn a bully around. Your last statement is so true: that it is only with one's heart that they can see clearly both the beauty and the good within every soul. You truly have a way with powerful statements. I would have to add an example to the fore mentioned statement and that would be Hitler. As you and the rest of the world knows Hitler was the very man who started WW2 by invading Poland and also caused the near extermination of more then six million Jews and even many more millions. The point is that throughout the entire human history Hitler is perhaps the most evil man of all symbolizing true evil and in a sense Satan himself. But, I personally believe that if you were to use your own heart I truly believe that you would find just one ounce of goodness in even him. Finally, I wanted to ask you that in regards to your next fic that if you could make it a rewrite of primarily the Smallville series finale which would include of course Lana and maybe you could add her into the final scene at the fortress where Jor-El could thank her for everything that she has done for Clark. Thanks so much and God bless you, Nick!!
    Last edited by Nick of kandor; 05-19-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎