Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Ragtag?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really enjoyed it. Pretty strong emphasis on character, but the plot did advance as well. I actually give a darn about Fitz, now, which is exciting. The action was fun. Bill Paxton is always fun, and this was no exception. I'm kinda digging it. The "super soldier" thing is a little played, but otherwise, I'm interested to see where they go with this. Nice work.

Comment

It's a good episode and they've set things up nicely for the season finale. It was cool that they actually had Coulson piece together all the different plots on a whiteboard and connect the dots. Not only the team needed to see the grand picture -- the audience did too.

When S1 is done, Ward's heel turn will be one of the bright spots in the series for me. With his backstory fleshed out a bit more, they've given his character some wiggle room in returning back to the fold. I would think Coulson and May, at minimum, would want him to answer for his crimes -- whether that's at the barrel of a gun (more unlikely now, but you never know) or (more likely) to be apprehended to account for his betrayal. Ward's conflicted feelings for his teammates and for Skye aside, he has SHIELD blood on his hands and some reckoning is in order on this front.

I'm not as worried that, if he does turn back to the good side, it'll be due only to something sappy like his "love for Skye" and the need to reunite with her. I'm still not a fan of their need to wedge a Ward/Skye romance into S1 as it could so easily become too melodramatic if handled poorly, but it's not there yet. They've made it clear he still harbours feelings for her and no doubt this will play some factor in his redemption -- but it looks like Fitz's faith in his goodness isn't blind, if Ward's flashback scenes are any indication.

So Garrett was the first Deathlok, didn't see that coming. Hopefully we'll get a bit more info about Garrett going forward. And Raina too, now that she seems to have something in common with Skye.

I really liked how the team was scraping by on delivered pizza and relying on WWII-era spy gear. Their Cybertech raid was a thrill to watch. Skye and May's moment was good too, we got a peek behind May's stone-cold exterior. Overall, a solid episode.

Comment

I found this episode a little disappointing, myself. I was hoping for more with Ward's backstory, I guess? I wanted more of his childhood, I guess, not teen years.

So when I saw we were starting with a flashback to teen!Ward in jail I was a bit dismayed.

"And I want my plane back." Ah, Coulson!

Phil geeking out over all that antique spy stuff was so cool. Nice continuity too, as we know he likes that sort of thing.

Garrett and Ward. This is the part that bothered me. Garrett gets Ward out of jail then leaves him in the woods to 'survive'. First of all, why did Ward stay? He could have hiked out of there. Run and started a new life. He didn't owe Garrett much right then and him leaving him with nearly nothing would have negated what he had given him, to my mind. Second, Garret finally comes back 6 months later and Ward doesn't at least punch him in the face or let him have it somehow? The worst he does his yell at him a little. Third, Ward up and signs with Garrett after all the man has done is leave him alone in the forest and practically left him to starve. I guess I don't see why Ward is so fiercely loyal to him. And surely his loyalty to Garrett makes him 'weak' if having ties to other, having emotions, is weakness (as it is according to Garrett.)

May and Coulson going in as geeks. How awesome did they look? Also May beating that guy to the phone? I love Ming-Na!

The files are all on paper? That's one way to keep them from being hacked, I guess. Throwing the file cabinet out of the window was fun. And Garrett was the first Deathlok? Explains his metal plate thing.

So Garrett is really just out to save himself. I honestly wondered if Raina wasn't going to kill him/let him die instead of fixing him. She still seems peeved that he's not a real Clairvoyant, after all.

More hints about Skye.

Ward catching FitzSimmons, Fitz frying Garrett and the plane with the EMP, and Ward sending them into the ocean. It was fairly obvious, once we saw the tracking quarter in Fitz's hand, that they were going to get captured and the team would have to use that to find them and get them out. I think that will likely happen, anyway.

So Ward didn't shoot the dog. I hoped he wouldn't (lends big credence to the theory that Ward will be 'redeemed' or is at least redeemable). I know some fans think he did later, with the scope, but I honestly think that Garrett did that.

Coulson and the team seem to be against unbeatable odds (which they will, of course, beat. The question is simply how).

So yeah, decent episode. I just wish the Ward history had been different, I guess.

Comment

'Ragtag' is a good episode. We see the background of Ward and Garret in this one. Garret took the alien blood and became almost like a god. He going to give our heroes a hard time in the season finale.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎