No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "End of the Beginning?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "End of the Beginning?"

No one made the Loved It/Hated It thread, so, sorry for the delay!

What did you think?
    10 - SHIELD never betrays me!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Crash the plane and kill them all
    0%

It was very interesting, and I'm so relived they're playing the last seven episodes without breaks. All the previous ones have done lots of harm to the show, but I hope it gets renewed very soon.

I totally called the Clairvoyant reveal about halfway through the episode, and when it happened, I jumped into full "I told you so!" mode. That character's been a real [female dog] since her introduction, so it wasn't very surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by moviefan2k4
      It was very interesting, and I'm so relived they're playing the last seven episodes without breaks. All the previous ones have done lots of harm to the show, but I hope it gets renewed very soon.

I totally called the Clairvoyant reveal about halfway through the episode, and when it happened, I jumped into full "I told you so!" mode. That character's been a real [female dog] since her introduction, so it wasn't very surprising.
      The break's do make sense though as I do recall reading something somewhere that said the Captain America 2 fit in between this episode and the following episode, which you would imagine they would've had planned out so they had to space out the breaks in order to get it timed correctly.

As for the episode itself, I thought that it was one of the better episodes and it certainly it building to something rather interesting.
      My only question at the end of the episode was whether or not Ward was flying the plane or if it had been remotely controlled as we didn't see him in that final scene.

Also get the feeling that we very well could have a Fury & Colbie (Can't remember her characters name) cross-over before the season's over which would be great.

Comment

I have some directorial problems with the series and this episode in particular:

1) Why do the directors hate light? Everything is always dark, and for most of the episode faces of people were shown half-lit and half-dark, what is the point of that?
        2) There was too much music trying to force the tension.

The episode was ok I think, but not great. The characters keep behaving in ways that I don't buy, for example Coulson thinking that Ward and then May is working for the clairvoyant ... what? Does he not trust his own team?

I wonder if Robert Redford is the clairvoyant.

Comment

The half-lighting in this episode was probably intended to illustrate the presence of a traitor within SHIELD, and could be a reference to the balance we all must face regarding ourselves.

Comment

While I'm glad that the Clairvoyant story arc is (finally) getting some momentum, I'll have to see the next part to decide if this plot is the "game changing" one they're hoping for.

I won't go on about Skye and her character (because I could go on and on ...), but it looks like the whole scene with her getting her badge and having Coulson say you "earned it" is their way of telling us that Skye is important and interesting and that we need to care more about her as viewers. Which is, I regret, part of the whole problem with her character's development. Don't tell me she's supposed to be interesting - show me why she should be interesting as a character, as a SHIELD member, as a part of the Marvel Universe. I guess all her experiences are supposed to show she's earned her place, but I'd have to agree this doesn't exempt her from doing the usual SHIELD tests the other recruits do (which we're told she has completed - again, off-screen ). If anyone needed to be "seen" acing these tests on-screen, it's Skye if only for the sake of her character's credibility.

Anyone think that Trip has a larger role in the whole Clairvoyant conspiracy? From his pre-mission chat with Ward about the need to take down the Clairvoyant (which Ward did with the fake Clairvoyant), to the inexplicable sparks allegedly flying between him and Simmons, I think there's more to him and these situations.

Coulson's behaviour did seem a bit out of whack this ep.. I know he's less trusting now that he's uncovered the TAHITI business and Fury's involvement, but I did have a problem digesting his turnabout with Ward. He came to the abrupt conclusion that Ward must have been doing the Clairvoyant's bidding because he killed the fake one? I don't know if I would have made that leap. Fine he went rogue and against orders, but it's still a stretch. May is the more traditional red herring in this scheme, since her behaviour may suggest to Fitz, Skye, etc. that she's involved in some conspiracy. Secrets and lies. I still say she's answering to Fury (who, I'm guessing at this point, knows something is amiss at SHIELD HQ and wants someone on their team he can count on, off-grid).

The whole team will need to go off-grid to evade the Clairvoyant if he is actually within SHIELD, and this is where Skye's skills would actually fit in. (Now if they would only show more scenes of why Skye is actually amazing at what she does and worthy of SHIELD status, instead of just telling us that she is.)

I guess I'll have to say it, being from north of the border, but ... did anyone else pick up the reference to Alpha Flight: Marvel's own superhero team in Canada. I think it was Skye who mentioned "Department H", the government department and home base for superhumans in Canada. Heck, Wolverine himself has been involved with them on occasion.

The ep. was good - it had a few interesting moments - and the promos N of the 49th suggest that what we've seen is only the tip of the iceberg aka a game changer. We'll have to see next week.
            Last edited by President_Luthor; 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
              No one made the Loved It/Hated It thread, so, sorry for the delay!

What did you think?
              The episode left many unanswered questions and hints of S.H.I.E.L.D having been infiltrated. Hopes for a second season are up IMHO.

Comment

We start with Deathlok busting in (wow, not such a 'safe house' after all) and then the big group meeting. Sitwell, Hand, etc. okay, good. Pull in the resources you need.

Skye becoming a full agent.
                Originally posted by President_Luthor
                I won't go on about Skye and her character (because I could go on and on ...), but it looks like the whole scene with her getting her badge and having Coulson say you "earned it" is their way of telling us that Skye is important and interesting and that we need to care more about her as viewers.
                I quoted you, PL, because you said it so well. It's like they're trying to make Skye the most important (and really they have since the beginning) and special character and in trying that just makes her more annoying to viewers, it seems. Also my first thought was "doesn't she have to go through training and classes and whatnot?", but as you said that all seemed to happen off screen. I can almost understand not showing us that, but c'mon, not even a montage?

Moving on, we find out a bit more background about Ward--he's from a "Kennedy" type family? Considering his relationship with his brother...

Jemma wanting to use the Hub to run tests on Skye's blood. Wow, big mistake! She should trust in Coulson that there's a reason not to do that (it's going to raise all kinds of red flags).

did anyone else pick up the reference to Alpha Flight: Marvel's own superhero team in Canada.
                I did! I may have backed it up on my DVR when I heard it to go "did they just mention Department H? As in Alpha Flight?" They did!

Tracking Deathlok with Fitz and his toys, the lead to the Clairvoyant (who I knew was going to be a red herring) and then Ward kills him. I get that it's supposed to show that he's in love with Skye and will kill to protect her but it still seemed odd to me. Ward's all about the rules, after all.

The return of Fury (off screen) and wanting to talk to Coulson. Did Phil ever get to talk to him?

The reveal that the Clairvoyant is just a high level Shield agent. I was disappointed. I really wanted psychic powers to be real in the MCU.

Coulson thinking May was working for the Clairvoyant. Really? He flipped his trust on her that quickly? I found that surprising.

And Hand taking control of the plane. I believe she's a red herring as well, that we're meant to believe she's the Clairvoyant but she will turn out not to be.

So yeah, some good some bad but a lot of OOC stuff, seemed to me.

Comment

Yeah, Coulson going batty with Ward and May seemed a bit extreme, that he'd turn so quickly into questioning their loyalty. Even in the context of what happened in CA: Winter Soldier, it's a bit much to accept that he'd doubt their faith in the team so quickly. I never thought that on an episode that was as interesting as this one that the weaker character would be ... Coulson

It might have been more acceptable for him to be flinging angry accusations after we had known the events of Winter Soldier, but this is a quibble. Maybe next episode will explain it more.

Well if SHIELD HQ's got issues, there's always a safe refuge at Department H.
                  Last edited by President_Luthor; 04-05-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
                    Yeah, Coulson going batty with Ward and May seemed a bit extreme, that he'd turn so quickly into questioning their loyalty.
                    Agreed. I realize that he's kind of turned against SHIELD and might see them as 'enemies' (especially after what Fury did to him), but for him to question May? Ward, maybe. He doesn't know the guy that well. But they've shown that May is a close friend whom he trusts a lot. For him to question her loyalty seemed really OOC to me.

Well if SHIELD HQ's got issues, there's always a safe refuge at Department H.
                    Heh, they could indeed. Agents of Dept. H? With James as their boss (as Guardian/Vindicator)?

Comment

'End Of The Beginning' is a good episode. We get Deathlok in this episode, as he's the first superhero to appear in the series. (No, Sif in last week's episode doesn't count) They believe that they found the Clairvoyant, but he turned out to be a pawn. Considering her history with Norman Osborn, I could believe that she could be the one of the bad guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎