Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Character Continuity Gaffes in "Smallville"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moviefan2k4
    Did the show ever establish that the Fortress AI could learn? I thought it was just an information library.
    It was certainly shown to be aware of the outside world (or, at least, Clark's experiences of it). For example, in Lazarus, it knew without being told that Clark had come close to killing Lex, and it also knew about the "Superman" costume that Martha had sent to him. I think that it was reasonable to assume that the Fortress had some capacity for "learning", rather than simply relating to Clark information already stored in the "stones of knowledge" before they were sent to Earth.

Comment

A few I can think of:

In "Veritas" and other episodes, we see flashbacks to Lionel inside the Luthor Mansion. Whatever happened to when Lex said in the pilot that he had never set foot there? Or we to just assume he was exaggerating?

Also, it might not be a plot hole but it always bothered me that Chloe and Gabe faked their deaths at the time of the Lionel Luthor trial, yet Lex couldn't offer Gabe his old job back? On that note, did the show just forget Gabe was a thing?

Comment

Who was Gabe?

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
          Who was Gabe?
          Gabe Sullivan, father of Chloe Sullivan. First appearance in 1x08 Jitters. Last appearance in a flashback scene in 4x02 Gone. Last mention of him (to my recollection) by Lois in 4x13 Recruit. No mention about his fate whatsoever during Chloe's engagement and wedding.

I knew the actor Robert Wisden from before Smallville, because he played Major Bert Samuels on Stargate SG-1.

[IMG]http://img4.*****.nocookie.net/__cb20100920152008/stargate/fr/images/5/50/Bert_Samuels.jpg[/IMG]
          Last edited by DJ Doena; 03-16-2014, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Yeah, the sudden and unexplained disappearance of Gabe always irked me. I kept expecting him to show up whenever something major happened to or with Chloe...but time and again, nothing. Her and Jimmy's wedding, Jimmy's funeral, Clark & Lois' wedding, Chloe finding out she had meteor abilities...no Gabe.

Comment

Originally posted by moviefan2k4
              Yeah, the sudden and unexplained disappearance of Gabe always irked me. I kept expecting him to show up whenever something major happened to or with Chloe...but time and again, nothing. Her and Jimmy's wedding, Jimmy's funeral, Clark & Lois' wedding, Chloe finding out she had meteor abilities...no Gabe.
              Shows do this.

When an actor leaves, he leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
                Shows do this.

When an actor leaves, he leaves.
                I wonder if it was a case his character just got to pricey to bring back or the show could have gotten him at a reasonable price and just didn't feel the need to bring him back. Wasn't their a story that the actor retired from acting(or maybe that that the guy who played Henry Small)

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
                  I wonder if it was a case his character just got to pricey to bring back or the show could have gotten him at a reasonable price and just didn't feel the need to bring him back. Wasn't their a story that the actor retired from acting(or maybe that that the guy who played Henry Small)
                  (Patrick Cassidy (Henry Small) is by no means retired.) It's not unheard of, that an actor leaves, because they're unhappy with the role or feel something is below them. If we look at Gabe's role in Covenant, all he does is appear onscreen for about a second, has no lines of dialogue and just walks into the house (they could've just as well used a body double. The audience would get, that the man is supposed to be Chloe's dad).

For why we never see or hear from him again, I could image two possible (in-universe) senarios:

1) He's passed away.

2) He and Chloe, has had a massive falling out. And aren't talking to each other, anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                    (Patrick Cassidy (Henry Small) is by no means retired.) It's not unheard of, that an actor leaves, because they're unhappy with the role or feel something is below them. If we look at Gabe's role in Covenant, all he does is appear onscreen for about a second, has no lines of dialogue and just walks into the house (they could've just as well used a body double. The audience would get, that the man is supposed to be Chloe's dad).

For why we never see or hear from him again, I could image two possible (in-universe) senarios:

1) He's passed away.

2) He and Chloe, has had a massive falling out. And aren't talking to each other, anymore.
                    If the show didn't want to bring him back they should have just got Chloe to make one off hand mention of him moving away. Sadly the show never seemed to care about tieing up little lose ends that could be easily resolved by one line of dialogue

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
                      If the show didn't want to bring him back they should have just got Chloe to make one off hand mention of him moving away. Sadly the show never seemed to care about tieing up little lose ends that could be easily resolved by one line of dialogue
                      Not sure how you get Gabe, to be a "lose end". Him, for example, moving away doesn't affect the plot or the characters. Nell's did, because Lana was a minor and here her legal guardian was moving away (which would mean, she may have to move also).

By season 5, Chloe's an adult, who has moved out of her dad's house and into a Met U dormroom (and later the Talon). She wouldn't have to move away, because he does, nor would she have to find a new place to live.

And, at the end of the day, Gabe was a minor character. It's more vital for shows, to explain the disappearance of main characters, than that of minor characters.

Comment

One thing that Gabe didn't do..............was to attend his only son-in-law's funeral. The Olsen family made it! The even brought their other son ...........named Jimmy!

Comment

Originally posted by jpfort1957
                          One thing that Gabe didn't do..............was to attend his only son-in-law's funeral. The Olsen family made it! The even brought their other son ...........named Jimmy!
                          Gabe was dead the minute Chloe asked Clark to be the one who gave her away at the altar.

He must have passed away somewhere between season 5 and season 8.

Comment

Gabe's in the Phantom Zone, some exile island or where SV's bit players end up when their usefulness on SV runs out ...

"Prof. Willowbrook: There comes a time in a young woman's life when she must step out of the protective shadow of her father and claim adulthood.

Lucas Luthor: True, but still, think of it from Mr. Sullivan's perspective. To not even hear about his own daughter's wedding. I don't think he even knew that Chloe had a significant other.

Gabe: Even my fellow exiles refer to me in the third person. And no, Lucas, I didn't even know she had a boyfriend. *weeps silently, as his lonely exile is both in spirit and in body*"

[Team Gabe forever, haha]

But, seriously, some of the biggest continuity gaffes are when Clark, who wasn't even Superman for 9/10ths of the series, would run into people who he was only supposed to run into when he became Superman (which on SV, in the literal sense, was only when the S-shield appeared on his chest and he claimed his destiny in S10).

The line between being "Superman-like" and actually becoming the Superman of legend (S-shield, cape, powers, the whole nine yards) is how I perceived SV Clark's journey. He was "Superman-like", with varying degrees of success (and failure), throughout most of the series. He was "Superman" in the series only briefly during the series finale. While it wasn't unreasonable for Clark on SV to run into situations and people that may have a hand in his destiny, it really did take a leap of faith to digest Clark running into Superman acquaintances such as those who were already Justice League-standard superheroes, when he himself wasn't even Superman yet.

I enjoyed those episodes, but continuity-wise I'm sure casual SV viewers would think: "Clark's hanging out with the Justice League ... but he's not even Superman yet."

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
                              But, seriously, some of the biggest continuity gaffes are when Clark, who wasn't even Superman for 9/10ths of the series, would run into people who he was only supposed to run into when he became Superman (which on SV, in the literal sense, was only when the S-shield appeared on his chest and he claimed his destiny in S10).

The line between being "Superman-like" and actually becoming the Superman of legend (S-shield, cape, powers, the whole nine yards) is how I perceived SV Clark's journey. He was "Superman-like", with varying degrees of success (and failure), throughout most of the series. He was "Superman" in the series only briefly during the series finale. While it wasn't unreasonable for Clark on SV to run into situations and people that may have a hand in his destiny, it really did take a leap of faith to digest Clark running into Superman acquaintances such as those who were already Justice League-standard superheroes, when he himself wasn't even Superman yet.

I enjoyed those episodes, but continuity-wise I'm sure casual SV viewers would think: "Clark's hanging out with the Justice League ... but he's not even Superman yet."
                              I think it worked in episodes like Run and Aqua. He's running into other future superheroes, but they haven't become that yet. They're on the same journey, as Clark, only a different road. To me, the problem comes later, when you've got characters like Stargirl (who is not only younger than Clark, but became a superhero, to annoy her stepdad) show up and all of these other costumed guys. And suddenly, the world's had superheroes for decades (the info just never reached a certain Kansas small town).

Comment

I actually liked those eps. because "Aquaman" and "Impulse/Kid Flash" were also emerging superheroes on the verge of their destiny and Clark even had a hand in steering them on the right path. In the context of SV, these stories worked well.

It was, as you said, in the later seasons when instead of being the first among superheroes, Clark was made to look like he's playing catch-up re: heroic destiny with other superheroes that were already Justice Leaguers in all but name. On the surface it was cool to see other superheroes, but beneath the hype around their cameos they only reinforced the notion that Clark wasn't there yet on his destiny (and even lagging behind). This is where no amount of continuity retconning on SV can reconcile why Clark should even be around his "future" colleagues when he himself hadn't claimed his own destiny.

I've always seen S8-10 as attempting to set the SV ship right, but the later seasons also created these conundrums where Clark's destiny was on the horizon -- but the bottom line was he wasn't there yet, and he really had no business having these "Superman" associations, acquaintances (and on occasion, even villains) before he became Superman.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎