4. X-Men: The Last Stand
    5. Spider Man 3
    6. Transformers Trilogy
    7. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    8. Star Trek reboots
    9. The Dark Knight Rises
    10. World War Z

With more discussion at the site.

For the record, the only one of those films I find abominable are Transformers 2 and Star Trek into Darkness. There are several that I find average: Fantastic Four, World War Z, X-Men 3, Spider Man 3.

Dark Knight Rises is a silly one. It grossed 1.1 billion worldwide in spite of someone shooting up a movie theatre, it's the second-highest comic book movie on IMDB, and it scored an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes. I thought it was epic, but it turns out a lot of comic book fans hate it because Batman retires at the end which is "not true to the character".

Avatar might fit in well. It grossed 3 billion dollars, but a lot of geeks hate it because they mistakenly believe it's not original.

The Dark Knight Rises doesn't belong on that list, IMO.

A couple I would be tempted to put on the list:

1: POTC: On Stranger Tides: Most I've run into consider it a money grab, but it grossed over $1b.

2: Iron Man 3: A lot of people don't like this movie. Grossed over $1.2b.

3: Iron Man 2: A lot of people HATE this movie. Grossed $623m.

4: Shrek the Third: I don't know anyone who likes this movied. ~$800m.

5: The Matrix Reloaded: Most people I know don't like any of the Matrix sequels. I think they are wrong about the 2nd movie in the trilogy, but probably right about the third. $742m.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
      The Dark Knight Rises doesn't belong on that list, IMO.

A couple I would be tempted to put on the list:

1: POTC: On Stranger Tides: Most I've run into consider it a money grab, but it grossed over $1b.

2: Iron Man 3: A lot of people don't like this movie. Grossed over $1.2b.

3: Iron Man 2: A lot of people HATE this movie. Grossed $623m.

4: Shrek the Third: I don't know anyone who likes this movied. ~$800m.

5: The Matrix Reloaded: Most people I know don't like any of the Matrix sequels. I think they are wrong about the 2nd movie in the trilogy, but probably right about the third. $742m.
      Actually Iron Man 3 is a case were fan and critics are about the same as far as like or dislike. On rotten tomato the user score and critic score are one percent apart. I think Iron Man 3 just had highly vocal haters. Most comic fans I talk to face to face loved Iron Man 3 and embraced the Mandarin twist. Most of the hate I have seen for Iron Man 3 was from the internet.

I didn't care for The Dark Knight Rises but that had more to do with how Talia Al Ghul was implemented into the film. Batman retiring made sense because he can not protect Gotham forever.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
        http://io9.com/10-hit-movies-that-th...ted-1542301563

Charlie Jane Anders
        10 Hit Movies the Fans Hated
        12 March 2014

Charlie Jane Anders lists:
        1. Star Wars Episode 1
        2. I, Robot
        3. Fantastic Four
        4. X-Men: The Last Stand
        5. Spider Man 3
        6. Transformers Trilogy
        7. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
        8. Star Trek reboots
        9. The Dark Knight Rises
        10. World War Z

With more discussion at the site.

For the record, the only one of those films I find abominable are Transformers 2 and Star Trek into Darkness. There are several that I find average: Fantastic Four, World War Z, X-Men 3, Spider Man 3.

Dark Knight Rises is a silly one. It grossed 1.1 billion worldwide in spite of someone shooting up a movie theatre, it's the second-highest comic book movie on IMDB, and it scored an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes. I thought it was epic, but it turns out a lot of comic book fans hate it because Batman retires at the end which is "not true to the character".

Avatar might fit in well. It grossed 3 billion dollars, but a lot of geeks hate it because they mistakenly believe it's not original.
        I agree with the list the exception being Star Trek 2009. I loved that film and felt in was the beginning of new things for Trek. Instead we got Wrath of Khan the JJ Abrams version for a sequel. I really hope the next Trek film does something different.

Comment

I thought Superman Returns got more hate than The Dark Knight Rises? No way the latter should be on the list, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Degobunny
            Actually Iron Man 3 is a case were fan and critics are about the same as far as like or dislike. On rotten tomato the user score and critic score are one percent apart. I think Iron Man 3 just had highly vocal haters. Most comic fans I talk to face to face loved Iron Man 3 and embraced the Mandarin twist. Most of the hate I have seen for Iron Man 3 was from the internet.
            Most of the hate I've heard from all of these films is from the internet. Almost by definition, the majority of "regular people" we interact with in person will have liked all of these movies. That's why these films were successful in the first place. A lot of somebodys in a lot of somewheres like them. I also qualified the difference between people not liking IM3 versus people actually hating IM2.

But, if your experience has been different, it is what it is. The RT score for IM3 is 78%. The one for IM2 is 73%, with the users score also at 73%. One is hated and the other isn't? The difference between hated and not is 5%?

Comment

Seeing these lists reminds me of a suggestion I once heard: don't charge people when they go into the movie; get them to pay when they leave - and then only if they liked the film. Then the box office would (to some degree) reflect whether or not the audience liked the movie.

As it stands, studios have worked out that what is critical to a movie's success is to have a really big opening weekend. Open really big, and a relatively sharp drop-off in ticket sales doesn't matter so much - you've already got a lot of money in the bank. Success also breeds success - cinemas will keep your movie on more screens because it is seen as a hit, and being perceived as a hit will make the film seem more attractive to the "wait and see" crowd. Which is why blockbusters are not pitched at the older audience - there might be a lot of them, and they might like going to movies (when they get the chance), but they are more likely to wait until a movie has been out for a while than feel compelled to watch it on its opening weekend. The "opening weekend" crowd is far more likely to be consist of 16-24-year-old males and/or the comic book/sci-fi/fantasy fans. So we get movies seen as easy to market to that audience - movies based on franchises familiar to them now or from when they were little, lots of action/fights/explosions, possibly some PG-13 swearing, maybe even sexy women in revealing outfits. A good story, well-told, is of secondary importance to making a movie that looks really cool in the trailers. This is where Michael Bay scores so heavily - he makes movies that are generally pretty lousy by conventional storytelling standards, but he isn't interested in telling stories. He just wants to avoid creating situations where a bored teenager wants to go for a pee - and if that means adding a completely unnecessary car chase (as, by his own admission, he did in The Rock) or more scenes of big robots hitting each other or Megan Fox (sorry, Rosie Huntingdon-Whitely) leaning suggestively over the hood of a car, then he will do it. And the end result will make a huge amount of money. However, if you appreciate proper stories, good acting, etc., it will be about as much fun as banging your head against a brick wall for two hours.

Sadly, the movie market nowadays is heavily biased in favour of "marketable product." Being genuinely "good" is entirely secondary - hence a succession of movies that get lousy reviews, and are apparently hated by a lot of people, but become box office hits.

Comment

Most of the hate I've heard from all of these films is from the internet. Almost by definition, the majority of "regular people" we interact with in person will have liked all of these movies. That's why these films were successful in the first place. A lot of somebodys in a lot of somewheres like them. I also qualified the difference between people not liking IM3 versus people actually hating IM2.

But, if your experience has been different, it is what it is. The RT score for IM3 is 78%. The one for IM2 is 73%, with the users score also at 73%. One is hated and the other isn't? The difference between hated and not is 5%?
                ? I mentioned IM3 not IM2. I think IM2 was okay, but not on the level of IM or IM3. The point is the films the article mentioned are refering to films with a much wider margin between critics and the audience. And yes how much money a movie makes is also an indication. That said IM3 was a well done film and not on the list because it does not fit the criteria. IM2 is not a film I would put on this list either as it is not as hated as people make it out to be. It certainly did not adversely effect the Avengers.
                Last edited by Degobunny; 03-13-2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

? I mentioned IM3 not IM2. I think IM2 was okay, but not on the level of IM or IM3.
                  Yes, I know.

IM2 is widely considered a bad film, even by fans of the franchise. You used RT ratings to argue in favor of IM3, but IM2's RT ratings are only marginally different. Therefore, I don't think RT helps your point about IM3.

The point is the films the article mentioned are refering to films with a much wider disagreement between critics and the audience.
                  That's not what this article is about.

From the article: "So here are 10 movies from the past 15 years that made insane amounts of money, and in many cases garnered positive reviews, but which armies of fans seemed to despise."

In only some of the cases did the films garner positive reviews. The chief criteria here is that the movie be successful from a financial standpoint but not well liked by fanboys and fangirls.
                  Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 03-13-2014, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Yes, I know.

IM2 is widely considered a bad film, even by fans of the franchise. You used RT ratings to argue in favor of IM3, but IM2's RT ratings are only marginally different. Therefore, I don't think RT helps your point about IM3.

That's not what this article is about.

From the article: "So here are 10 movies from the past 15 years that made insane amounts of money, and in many cases garnered positive reviews, but which armies of fans seemed to despise."

In only some of the cases did the films garner positive reviews. The chief criteria here is that the movie be successful from a financial standpoint but not well liked by fanboys and fangirls.
                    Well then it all subjective then, and really just hating on films for being successful.

Comment

Well then it all subjective then, and really just hating on films for being successful.
                      I don't think that's fair, either. I don't hate that the Transformers films are successful, at least not the same way I hate that reality tv shows are successful. I grew up playing with the toys. I wanted them to be great movies. I just don't think they are and I reject the notion that it is purely subjective. There's nothing subjective about Megan Fox's acting ability, for instance. That's just one example.

Comment

I don't think that's fair, either. I don't hate that the Transformers films are successful, at least not the same way I hate that reality tv shows are successful. I grew up playing with the toys. I wanted them to be great movies. I just don't think they are and I reject the notion that it is purely subjective. There's nothing subjective about Megan Fox's acting ability, for instance. That's just one example.
                        The issue is that the 1980s Transformers cartoons are not particularly good. I enjoyed them very much: when I was 8.

The hate on Michael Bay is ridiculous imo. He knows what he is doing I think.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                          I thought Superman Returns got more hate than The Dark Knight Rises? No way the latter should be on the list, imo.
                          Superman Returns was not a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                            Superman Returns was not a hit.

Comment

I can understand why The Dark Knight Rises is on the list but personnally I really enjoyed it. Not the best in the Nolan trilogy but possibly the most entertaining. Thought it was the perfect ending to this interpretation of the character.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎