No announcement yet.

Moira running for mayor?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moira running for mayor?

I just think this one is a real stretch.. She was just found Not Guilty for killing 504 people in the Glades. Will the city be able to forget that fact so soon and want her to run their city? We all know the circumstances, but, can we trust her? . And I know she warned them, at the last minute, but, can we forgive her? And don't forget the secret about Merlin being Thea's dad and Moira says her doctor knows the truth. Not to mention Merlin is still out there. He keeps coming back like a bad habit.. Merlin will want something out of this arrangement.. What do you think?

Agreed.

They did touch upon this in the previous episode, but the argument that people are willing to simply forgive Moira is too weak IMO. It would have made more sense for Walter to run for mayor himself. Heck, even Oliver might have had a better chance. Moira running for office and winning is simply too implausible at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Izzyma
      I just think this one is a real stretch.. She was just found Not Guilty for killing 504 people in the Glades. Will the city be able to forget that fact so soon and want her to run their city? We all know the circumstances, but, can we trust her? . And I know she warned them, at the last minute, but, can we forgive her? And don't forget the secret about Merlin being Thea's dad and Moira says her doctor knows the truth. Not to mention Merlin is still out there. He keeps coming back like a bad habit.. Merlin will want something out of this arrangement.. What do you think?
      That's exactly what I've been thinking. They expect us to believe that an estimated 43.6% (Walter's words) of Starling City voters are just magically ready to forgive her for what she was involved with. What's worse? They want us to pretend that those same people are fine with her in the position of mayor! Wow, SC voters must have very low IQs, attention spans, or perhaps both. I don't buy for one minute that an estimated nearly half of the city is willing to concede that she was just protecting her kids, and that it's all okay now just because a jury acquitted her. Juries drop the ball all the time in cases — especially when an impartial system goes out of its way to find not just impartial jurors but apathetic ones at that!

The reality is, if this were a real-life event, she would most likely have been murdered in the streets by now. Not saying I would condone that in a real-world setting, but given the overwhelming damage she helped cause, her general lack of concern and careless demeanor when talking about the event, and the likely number of people in the city affected in at least some way by what happened — and add to all this the astonishing lack of armed security she seems to have in her following when she's out and about — it feels just oh-so-improbable that she's even still alive.

There's another way of looking at this, though, that I think the writers and series' creators haven't considered. Not only is Moira partly to blame for what happened in the Glades the year prior, but she did so simply to protect her family. What does that say about her character? She's a loving mother? Sure. But as mayor, could voters trust the policies of a woman, who claims to have only ever acted in the best interests of herself and her own family during adversity, to run the city — during a time of great hardship and adversity, I might add — in a manner that will benefit all of the city's inhabitants in a way that is fair? Uh, no. This is precisely why the whole Moira-for-mayor situation is so utterly repulsive: voters in a real-world setting would not trust her enough to run the city — certainly not enough that even before an election campaign has begun 43.6% of the voting population are already siding with her over a guy who, by all appearances, is decent and forthcoming, and most of all considerate of those who've endured misfortunes in recent times.

If they want to present the voters of Starling City as mindless buffoons who have absolutely no access to daily news in their own city, and moreover who couldn't care less about anything relevant to their own lives, that's fine. Some people in the real world do indeed "live" this way. But for goodness sake! You have only to walk around in the Glades area to assess the damage resultant from The Undertaking, which Moira Queen was notably involved with, even if she didn't mastermind the event. Hearing the news is one thing, but living it is another, and having to witness the damage cause on a day-to-day basis should really be driving home the point to all these dummies who think she's right for the job that she in fact has zero-point-zero qualifications in that regard.

Comment

Terrific post! In retrospect, I think that the ludicrous "Moira for mayor" storyline might be the show's "jumping the shark" moment for some viewers, because it is so improbable. Of course, from a real world perspective a lot of improbable things happen on "Arrow". However, this particular storyline feels a bit like an insult to our intelligence, because it defies common sense logic.
        Last edited by evaba; 02-02-2014, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I would have preferred Walter running for mayor. He is a criminally underused character IMO and this would have been a good storyline for him. Ah well.

Comment

Let's just see where the writers are going with this they haven't disappointed me so far

Comment

Maybe now Laurel is out of a job she will also give it a go ...

Comment

@Quark Maybe

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎