0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Bad
    0%

I liked this one. The team went on different missions -- which I think is a good thing going forward. They're a team but it doesn't mean that have to be on every mission together. The Coulson - May dialogue in Mexico City was great, the sort of writing I'd like to see more of.

The Skye mystery had some resolution, with Coulson filling in some details about her discovery (to her, but they handled it in a way where the audience doesn't learn everything) and SHIELD's connection. It might have had more emotional impact had TPTB given us more reason to be invested in it (and in Skye in general), but I'm glad 'what happened to Skye' wasn't going to be dragged into the second half of the season. They've set up a few antagonists now for future skirmishes and it seems The Clairvoyant had his (her? their?) hands in more than a few jars. I still have the sense SHIELD is sorting out its identity as a show and playing it safe.

Could they take more creative risks on the series? Absolutely. More (and better) character development with the existing team should be top of the list.

While I'd be the first one to want the show to be edgier and push the envelope on many fronts -- it is on network TV (a Disney one at that) and won't compare to some of the grittier shows on cable. Simply because it can't.

The ice freeze-up / smart-cadets-under-bad-influence story at the SHIELD academy was fun and probably what the series does best. It is on 8 p.m., so stories like these do live up to the idea of a 'family adventure' TV series. (I don't know if that's what they had in mind when it was first conceived, but it's what we've got in '14.)

Comment

I REALLY liked this episode. There was just enough carry-over from the Coulson reveal from last week (I have an idea that Phil is pretty unhappy with Fury right now), but the true focus was on the new story lines. I really liked the interactions at the Academy - Fitz and Simmons can really be fun, and that is valuable to the show.

The big deal now is Skye. If she has powers I would have to think they would have manifested by now. Have those powers manifested on the show and we somehow didn't notice? Hmmmmm.....

Comment

People dont talk about IQ all the time like this.

Comment

Ally hannigan is the name of one of the girls at the pool, nice easter egg.

"Is that what they say?" ... nice line !!!!

I don't buy that Skye no longer cares about who her parents are.

Overall a good episode though. Might be the best of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
            People don't talk about IQ all the time like this.
            Most don't work around spy agencies and tons of scientists, either; just roll with it.

Comment

Originally posted by moviefan2k4
              Most don't work around spy agencies and tons of scientists, either; just roll with it.
              I worked with scientists in several different places and IQ scores are a taboo.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
                I worked with scientists in several different places and IQ scores are a taboo.
                Except in the episode it was a relevant topic because the kid was on par to graduate at the same age as Simmons and Fitz, who were the youngest to ever graduate from the academy. They needed someway to discuss the kids intelligence level. The kid flunked out of school so it would be hard to justify his intellect through his grades.

I am trying to remember if the academy students discussed IQ as well. When I was younger I went to a model UN camp with people from around the globe. There were a lot of cocky kids there who would discuss there high SAT scores (I met people who got perfect scores) as well as there IQ' s.
                Last edited by Degobunny; 01-15-2014, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I have also gotten perfect on sone standardized tests (not the SATs), it is not that exciting. Part of the problem is that these tests are not designed for people at the tail of the distribution, so it is not that meaningful. Somebody who scored a 1550 on the SAT might be substantially smarter than an other person who scored a 1600, because at that level you really need some different means to judge people. Another issue is that some of these geniuses are unbelievably lazy.

Really, a lot of the smartest people I know speak differently. They have a richer vocabulary, and they use more elaborate sentence structure. They also often have esoteric interests. That would be the way to go, and that is more meaningful. I can see how that is alot to demand of writers.

In contrast, an IQ of 185 does not really mean anything. The tests are not even accurate at that level.

Comment

I thought this episode was pretty good.

The ice over water made me think of Bobby Drake (course references to X-men and mutants are not allowed, due to the rights issue, on the show. Too bad.).

I loved that FitzSimmons are popular at the SciTech Division of SHIELD.

Bucky Barnes shoutout. Seemed a bit of a blatant tie in to the upcoming Captain America 2 movie but ah well, still nice to "see".

Leopold Fitz? That's Fitz's first name? Huh.

The youngest grads in SHIELD history.

Namechecking Hydra, Centipede and AIM. I liked that.

The kid frozen. I was sitting there wondering why he was the target.

Hey, SHIELD has a Bronze party room!

I enjoyed Fitz bonding with the kid.

May and Phil in Lola. Their conversation was cute, May calling him Phil was good and then her blurting out about her and Ward (I did wonder if he'd heard her until he confirmed it later).

Skye's the 084? Huh. Didn't see that coming. And I'm still wondering if she isn't the MCU version of Jessica Drew (it fits--almost--one of Jessica's 3 secret origin stories).

So the two kids working together, eh? It's obvious that the one kid (who later died) was using the genuis.

May is awesome! Landing the bus in the storm? Very cool. My admiration for her, every time I think it can't go higher, it does.

The poor kid gets killed and of course the genius now turns against them (rule one, dudes. Always expose the bad guy first). Bet that comes back to bite 'em eventually. Especially after the reveal that the kid somehow internalized the powers of the machine.

Then the final stuff with Quinn and he's working with (or for?) the Clairvoyant? Interesting.

I liked seeing this 'other' side of SHIELD and we even got fun and playfulness after last week's angst fest. That was good. The team feels like it's finally gelling, I'm getting to like the characters (more than before. At first I really didn't care for FitzSimmons but then I warmed up to Gemma. Now I'm really starting to like Fitz.). Even Ward was interesting this episode. (mostly through his interaction with others but still.)

Gave it an 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty
                      Then the final stuff with Quinn and he's working with (or for?) the Clairvoyant? Interesting.
                      I'm not entirely convinced he isn't the Clairvoyant. It'd be like what we've seen of him to dick around with Coulson like that.

Comment

^^ that could be a very interesting take....

Comment

'Seeds' is a good episode. We learn a little about the background of the agents. It seem that Skye's parents were killed by someone scared of Skye. Who killed them and the SHIELD agent who deliver Skye to the orphan house?
                          Last edited by mbozzo; 01-28-2014, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎