No announcement yet.

Series 8 news

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 8 news

Filming has begun for the new series, which will start airing in the fall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1510495_796506220363407_997557579_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	6628757
    (Will be interesting to see, what Capaldi will wear.)

Along with this first pic, we have additional confirmation of writers for Series 8. Although Ben Wheatley is directing both of the first two episodes, they are two separate stories. Steven Moffat has written the opener (the Paternoster Gang have been seen out on location, so it seems that the TARDIS is taking the Doctor and Clara to 1890s England to meet Vashtra, Jenny and Strax), whilst episode 2 has been scripted by Phil Ford (The Waters of Mars, The Sarah Jane Adventures, Wizards vs Aliens). In addition, Gareth Roberts (The Shakespeare Code, The Lodger, Closing Time) has recently confirmed that he is writing an episode. Other writers have yet to be confirmed, but Mark Gatiss is almost certain to be writing at least one episode, as is Neil Cross, whilst Tom Macrae (The Girl Who Waited) had been working on a potential Series 7 script that was pushed back as a "possible" for Series 8 or 9. One rumoured new name that remains unconfirmed at present is Frank Cottrell Boyce, a writer whose work has included scripts for the soap operas Brookside and Coronation Street, screenplays for several movies (including Welcome to Sarajevo and 24 Hour Party People), novels for children (including three officially-sanctioned sequels to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang), as well as scripting the London 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony. Given this varied backround, it would be interesting to see what he might come up with, should he be confirmed as writing an episode.

Additionally, two other directors have been confirmed. Paul Murphy, having previously directed episodes of Casualty and Wizards vs Aliens at Roath Lock, moves across to helm episodes 3 and 6, whilst Douglas Mackinnon (The Power of Three, Cold War) will direct two unspecified episodes. Series 8 sees the return of two previous Doctor Who producers to their old role, with Nikki Wilson and Peter Bennett replacing Marcus Wilson.

Comment

Darkhorizons.com reporting that both seasons 8 and 9 will run without breaks during each season. I like that idea. I think it will help ease having to wait until the late summer or early fall of this yr for Peter Capaldi's debut season.

I've already heard some fans grumbling online about the first picture of Peter that was released where he still has Matt's costume on. Some of them have been saying they are angry because they thought the first pic meant they would've seen the new outfit.

Why do people want to be spoiled like that? I thought it was quite clever that the first picture was him right after the regeneration. Did those irritated fans really expect the powers that be to spoil such a brilliant reveal this early? Not only that but u know some of them just want to see his costume so they can pick it apart and say how much they despise it.

It's very sad when those fans r complaining because they want a surprise ruined. I thought it was funny and I have a feeling we won't see the costume until maybe 2 weeks or a month prior to the premiere. I'd rather be surprised and see it for the first time during the official reveal.

It makes me wonder what those fans did b4 the Internet existed or in its early days and they had no other alternative but to wait with baited breath u know? Did they get this angry then?

Comment

There will always be fans who complain. They complain before, during, and after. That's why writers, directors, and producers very often come across as being indifferent towards fan opinions. It's not that they don't care. It's that they have to care more about the work than how it is perceived. As an artist, you can change the work. You can't change a person's opinion for them.

Comment

Doctor Who is one of those shows where I just go with the flow and end up enjoying pretty much anything the episodes can come up with.

Comment

The first official photo of Peter Capaldi in his Twelfth Doctor costume!

Comment

He's telling River Song to come to him!

Seriously though I Love the new costume! It reminds me of Jon Pertwee and it's a great change up from the past two Doctors. I loved what Matt and David wore, especially since I dressed as David's Doctor one Halloween. However, with Steven Moffat talking about wanting to change things up totally the new costume fits with that philosophy. I also believe them when they say Peter was able to help pick the costume. He looks spectacular and I can't wait until he gets in a Dalek's eyestalk wearing that!

I am a little shocked they revealed the costume this early. Maybe it was to apologize to the fans for having to wait for the 50th and Christmas trailers for so long? I actually didn't think we would have our first reveal until SDCC. I love it though and cannot wait for Season/Series 8. Bring it on folks!

Btw just heard a fan say they heard he will use the Sonic Screwdriver from the Library ep. Can we confirm that or is it just some rumor that got out of control?
              Last edited by Austin 3:16; 01-27-2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
                He's telling River Song to come to him!
                If only....

I loved the costume. It does remind me of Jon Pertwee's doctor, for sure.

I am a little shocked they revealed the costume this early. Maybe it was to apologize to the fans for having to wait for the 50th and Christmas trailers for so long? I actually didn't think we would have our first reveal until SDCC. I love it though and cannot wait for Season/Series 8. Bring it on folks!
                I'm also surprised. I thought we wouldn't see it until the episode, but I suppose they have to keep fans excited up until the Fall because it will be a very long wait, and this is not Sherlock. Fans are not used to wait so long for a new episode when it comes to Doctor Who.

Btw just heard a fan say they heard he will use the Sonic Screwdriver from the Library ep. Can we confirm that or is it just some rumor that got out of control?
                I suppose it might be rumor, but who knows? Supposedly Matt Smith's doctor was the one who gave her the screwdriver, since he was the one who took her to Darillium, but then again, even though River said it was "his" screwdriver, Matt never used River's Screwdriver. Not even once in the show, and his was completely diferent from hers, and yet, 10 gave it one look, and he knew it was "his" screwdriver, not just "any" screwdriver given by himself as he gave Sarah the sonic lipstick. Nope, he said "my screwdriver", even though River only said "you gave it to me" at first.

I mean, later River confirmed to him it was his screwdriver, but at first, she said 'you gave it to me', and not even once it was said it was a screwdriver the doctor made only for her. So, I guess it could be possible that, even though 11 was the one who took her to Derillium, another doctor might have given her "his" screwdriver.

I would love to see it though, and it would provide them for a "story reason" for River to show up, since it seem it's so importante to Moffat that any River appearance has a "reason". Personally, I don't see why. Jenny, Strax and Madame Vastra don't have any "reason" to appear apart from their desire for them to.

I don't see why River has to have a "huge" story reason to appear. I mean, virtually any time the doctor go to anywhere she could potentially *be* there. After all, she is both an archeologist and a time traveller, and she is supposed to have had several adventures with more than one version of the doctor.
                Last edited by liana; 01-28-2014, 04:58 AM.

Comment

The reason for releasing an official photo of Capaldi in the new costume is simple - they started location filming in Queen Street, Cardiff today, so unofficial pics would have appeared anyway. Indeed, photos from onlookers of Peter and Jenna shooting scenes today can already be seen online. Better to get the official reveal done first using a good studio portrait, rather than let fans judge purely on indifferently taken paparazzi-style shots.

Comment

Originally posted by newbaggy
                    The reason for releasing an official photo of Capaldi in the new costume is simple - they started location filming in Queen Street, Cardiff today, so unofficial pics would have appeared anyway. Indeed, photos from onlookers of Peter and Jenna shooting scenes today can already be seen online. Better to get the official reveal done first using a good studio portrait, rather than let fans judge purely on indifferently taken paparazzi-style shots.
                    True. It's always best to control those revelations.

Comment

Cap looks good. I'd wear that if I thought it were socially acceptable where I live.

Comment

I have a question concerning the new series, and the events of the last 3 episodes. In The name of the Doctor, it was pretty much established that was Eleven's timestream, and there were only the known 12 versions of him. The events of The Day of the Doctor, seemed to have changed that, because Galifrey was saved, enabling the Timelords to give the Doctor a new regeneration cycle in The time of the Doctor, right?

Does that mean that even though the Doctor and Clara have the memories of the events of The name of the Doctor, it never really happened? I'm asking because, if it never happened, then the Doctor never said goodbye to post-Library River (and therefore she still exists), and Clara never actually went inside the Doctor's timestream? And if the events of that episode never happened, does Jenny, Strax and Vastra still remember those events?

Or will that remain a big plot hole, never being explained at all? It's all so confusing...

Comment

I like the post, thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Good outfit. Back to the basics like I think Capaldi stated.

Originally posted by liana
                            I have a question concerning the new series, and the events of the last 3 episodes. In The name of the Doctor, it was pretty much established that was Eleven's timestream, and there were only the known 12 versions of him. The events of The Day of the Doctor, seemed to have changed that, because Galifrey was saved, enabling the Timelords to give the Doctor a new regeneration cycle in The time of the Doctor, right?

Does that mean that even though the Doctor and Clara have the memories of the events of The name of the Doctor, it never really happened? I'm asking because, if it never happened, then the Doctor never said goodbye to post-Library River (and therefore she still exists), and Clara never actually went inside the Doctor's timestream? And if the events of that episode never happened, does Jenny, Strax and Vastra still remember those events?

Or will that remain a big plot hole, never being explained at all? It's all so confusing...
                            Good questions. Now my brain hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                              Good questions. Now my brain hurts.
                              It's not the first time it happened to me. It's still confusing why things can cease to exist, in Doctor Who's universe, and yet, still leave signs of their existence. The whole 'crack in the wall' being the most glaring at all. It still hurts my brain when I think about Rory ceasing to exist, and yet, leaving behind a daughter (River), an engagement ring and a picture of him dressed as a roman by Amy's side. If he never existed those things should have disappeared with him, and yet, they didn't.

And Amy being able to bring people back to the universe because she remembered them? Seriously? What kind of explanation is that? And she never knew her parents, because they were eaten by the crack in her wall, but she still knew her mum taught her to make faces in Apples to convince her to eat them? Am I the only one whose brain hurts just thinking about this?

Most of the time, I've decided to not think about those things, because they don't make sense to me, and accept the show's explanation for them, but it bothers me when the show doesn't even try to give us an explanation at all. Hopefully, they will, at least, prevent us with 'some' explanation, even if it's a 'Clara is the impossible girl so she can make anything happen, even change a fixed point in time (the Doctor dying at Trensalore) without no consequence what so ever to the entire universe...'

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎