Oliver Queen Martial Arts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oliver Queen Martial Arts

hey all

just wondering if anyone could have a reasonable guess with what martial arts/styles Oliver uses in fights?

It appears to be a combination of Wing Chun, Hapkido, Jujutsu, and Eskrima.

Comment

Wing Chun is in there definitely may be Krav Maga as well. Which combines various martial arts.

Comment

I won't disagree with any of the above statements. The ones I know for sure, since I myself also practice these arts:
        Kali/Escrima (a big part of it)
        Wing Chun ( he has been shown practicing against the Wing Chun dummy, a sure giveaway )

Others I am pretty sure of, as my nephew has practiced:
        KFM - I've seen him do a few of these here and there.
        Parkour - This is when he is running through the buildings

Although at my schools we have not practiced archery, it is a part of the 12 systems of Kali. So maybe that is where some of it comes from?

Comment

great replies people, appreciate it

yeah can definitely see the Kali/Escrima (sticks) and the Wing Chun (dummy + how he fights (block/counter-attack)
          all his throws - Hapkido/Jujutsu/Judo by extension (not sure if he'd know Brazilian JJ..though maybe if we see him do some more ground fighting/grappling, it'll be cool)
          Slade/Deathstroke looked like he had some Muay Thai too (when he fought Billy Wintergreen and threw in some elbows/knees) so assuming Ollie may know that
          Parkour! woo! (not a martial art but glad it got mentioned!)
          isn't Krav Maga meant to be one of those arts (along with KFM) that's focused on dirty fighting/fully disabling the opponent? i mean i know in first season, he was pretty brutal with taking out some opponents but didn't see anything that was like super excessive (i'm probably going off massive stereotypes here, correct me if i'm wrong)

as with the archery thing, i always assumed he just learned that from Shado so he could survive on the island.

i know it's a fiction show so some parts may be dramatised but still, it's awesome to see him kick so much a**!

Comment

Well, there are more to some of the arts than is commonly known.

Kali, for instance, is not just stick fighting. That's pretty much what you will see of it on TV. But it is a full system.
            It contains stick, knife, staff, stick and knife, all kinds of ballistic (archery, javelin, etc), as well as a lot of weaponless fighting.
            It also contains ground fighting, such as silat moves.

What we are seeing is the stunt coordinator, who I have long admired, mixing up a lot of great stuff for our entertainment.

I first saw his work when I caught an episode of Stargate Atlantis on TV. If you go back and watch that show, there are some awesome fight scenes in it. One of the scenes I remember was pure Kali, where Teyla was backed into a situation where she had to fight a Wraith. It was advancing on her, and she had a staff. She was going through a progession of special footwork nick named the Saints. She pounded on it until her staff broke, at which point, she then used the broken staff as double sticks. I believe it was in the first or 2nd episode.

And any of the season 3 and on where Ronon was in it, you will see a lot of Kali.

So this guy trains various actors/actresses and stunt people to look great doing realistic martial arts.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk777
              Well, there are more to some of the arts than is commonly known.

Kali, for instance, is not just stick fighting. That's pretty much what you will see of it on TV. But it is a full system.
              It contains stick, knife, staff, stick and knife, all kinds of ballistic (archery, javelin, etc), as well as a lot of weaponless fighting.
              It also contains ground fighting, such as silat moves.

What we are seeing is the stunt coordinator, who I have long admired, mixing up a lot of great stuff for our entertainment.

I first saw his work when I caught an episode of Stargate Atlantis on TV. If you go back and watch that show, there are some awesome fight scenes in it. One of the scenes I remember was pure Kali, where Teyla was backed into a situation where she had to fight a Wraith. It was advancing on her, and she had a staff. She was going through a progession of special footwork nick named the Saints. She pounded on it until her staff broke, at which point, she then used the broken staff as double sticks. I believe it was in the first or 2nd episode.

And any of the season 3 and on where Ronon was in it, you will see a lot of Kali.

So this guy trains various actors/actresses and stunt people to look great doing realistic martial arts.
              very interesting insight, thank you for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Halberdier17
                It appears to be a combination of Wing Chun, Hapkido, Jujutsu, and Eskrima.
                from what i've heard (i think it was on the internet or from a interview or something) you are 100% correct!!!

Comment

For the record, its not "Wing chun" its "Yong Chun." (詠春)Wing chun is absolutely not the right pronunciation.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎