No announcement yet.

Everything Wrong with Superman Returns in 6 Minutes or Less

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j03superbat
    May I just say, that's a trend I'd like to see stop.

I also don't think that the fact that it's not the only offender, if you will, excuses it from being a valid criticism. There are bad screenwriting techniques that are found in lots of stories; they're still bad.
    I can see why they do the stalking thing though. Clark's inability to attract Lois' attention and to have his attraction reciprocated (in most versions other than the Goyerverse where he gets Lois for free because he's hot) is his most obvious weakness, and it allows the audience to relate to him, it's probably the best way to relate to him. As such, it's good and obvious to show him be attracted to Lois in unproductive ways, and to have him manifest his attraction in "irrational" manners.

With that said, many of us have been through unrequited love without being stalkers, without being predatory. There is a way, fellow men.

Show Lois not noticing him without being mean about, and then have him engage in self-destructive behaviour for a bit, which for most people might be getting plastered, but for Superman might be flying around the solar system and making craters on Rhea and Ceres in fits of rage. Then show him try to be a better man to impress Lois. Have him wear nicer clothes, like actively shop for nicer clothes to look better. Have him groom himself better. Have him try and be a better reporter to impress her since they're both reporters. I'm not inventing anything here, just writing down what I did in a situation of unrequited love back in the mid 2000s :-)

In my opinion, Smallville was less creepy than Lois and Clark or Superman Returns simply because I'm more tolerant of disrespectful behavior from a 14 year old than I am from 25 or 30 years old. Also, he was using his backyard telescope to spy on Lana, not his ability to fly or x-ray, so he wasn't exploiting his powers to be a creep.
    Last edited by DA_Champion; 09-20-2013, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
      Also, he was using his backyard telescope to spy on Lana, not his ability to fly or x-ray, so he wasn't exploiting his powers to be a creep.
      What ability to fly?!

Also maybe Clark just didn't use x-ray because he doesn't have a skeleton fetish. Is that even a thing? Don't tell me!

To be fair one of the first instances Clark uses his x-ray ability it's actual see-through-vision (convinient) so he can (accidentaly) see Lana in the girls locker room and getting naked.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎