No announcement yet.

Everything Wrong with Superman Returns in 6 Minutes or Less

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Wrong with Superman Returns in 6 Minutes or Less

In anticipation of the upcoming Man Of Steel, we revisit the most recent Superman adaptation, Superman Returns. Did we find any sins? If you have to ask, you...

I watched this while procrastinating at work.

It does bring up what has long been my core criticism of SR: That Lex Luthor's plan is so unbelievably stupid that it makes it hard to watch the movie. I guess my criticism can be negated if one argues that since I was 22 when the movie came out I should turn off my brain for a kid's movie -- OK fine.

The video does bring up some points I had not realised myself, though I've seen people mention them elsewhere. Who had the dumb idea of having Superman X-ray Lois Lane's apartment?

I also had not realised that Lois Lane getting a Pullitzer for an anti-Superman editorial was absurd, though I've seen it mentioned elsewhere.

It's also funny that Superman Returns screwed up the calendar, screwed up the Scrabble board, and made a Saturn with perpindicular rings. I don't know that anybody else noticed that... it reveals a fundamental laziness on the part of the creators.

Overall this video is hilarious.

I still hate these videos, because they always pick on stuff that isn't actually "wrong" and count it in their sin total. Martha being part of the story isn't "wrong" just because she's an old lady in a superhero movie. That's ridiculous. I also don't understand why people assume Lois bought her own house based on the money she has made in her career as a journalist. Is it so hard to believe her family could be wealthy? Is that such an enormous stretch for people?

But I digress. They did hit some of the big ones that pissed me off:

1: Luthor having absolutely no way to control or defend the continent he just built
    2: Stalker Superman
    3: The "I'm always around" line after he had just been MIA for 5 years
    4: Lifting the Krypto-continent

Some I really feel that they missed:

1: Superman isn't even the most selfless hero in his own film
    2: Some of the closeup effects work was abysmal
    3: They clearly protect Routh based on the amount of dialogue given to him
    4: The core story isn't a Superman story

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
      1: Luthor having absolutely no way to control or defend the continent he just built
      My first guess is the China and Russia would back him up as a crazy dictator of sorts?

Do these writers even think about the bullcrap that they spew in their scripts? I know Superman is fiction, fantasy, but seriously, just a little bit of common sense can't hurt. Can it? Or is it just important to look COOL. Yeah, lets have Superman lift a continent, that'll be COOL! Oh let's have him duke it out with Zod in heavily populated areas and they destroy them completely and kill thousands of people! Awesome!

Carry on.

Comment

4: The core story isn't a Superman story
        A problematic criticism, as you are dismissing the critique of STID that it is not a ST story.

How do you reconcile these two positions? At the one sentence summary level, they're mutually exclusive, but I'm sure one can do better.

My try: maybe it's ok to use the characters of Superman or ST and make a story that isn't like other Superman or ST stories, as long as it's a good story. However, if it's a ****** story, then it's not ok to try something new, it's not going to be forgiven.

Comment

Originally posted by CKent/KalEl
          My first guess is the China and Russia would back him up as a crazy dictator of sorts?
          I think China, Russia, Germany, the US, maybe Brazil would meet somewhere to discuss how to split up the land, and Lex Luthor wouldn't even be an item on the agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
            A problematic criticism, as you are dismissing the critique of STID that it is not a ST story.

How do you reconcile these two positions?
            Because I don't agree that STID isn't a Star Trek story. That's a criticism other people have had of the film, not me.

1: Renegade Admiral with his own agenda
            2: Kirk violating the Prime Directive
            3: Kirk hitting on everything that moves
            4: Needs of the many vs. Needs of the few theme
            5: Spock grappling with emotion vs. logic
            6: Klingons being adversarial jerks

How is this not Star Trek?

Superman having a child out of wedlock, disappearing for five years, and then returning and spying on his ex-girlfriend is not a Superman story.
            Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 09-19-2013, 05:41 AM.

Comment

spying on his ex-girlfriend is not a Superman story.
              Well if you watch the pilot episode of Lois & Clark and the early seasons of Smallville then you will notice a trend there.

the only thing that bothered me about SR was the overthetopness of Lex' villainy. Not when he was truly evil and stabbed Supes but when he was a bad caricature of a villain.

First, the legal stuff:This video contains copyrighted material which has been quoted without the permission of the copyright owners. This video is an origin...

First, the legal stuff:This video contains copyrighted material which has been quoted without the permission of the copyright owners. This video is an origin...
              Last edited by DJ Doena; 09-19-2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                Well if you watch the pilot episode. Of Lois & Clark and the early seasons of Smallville then you will notice a trend there.
                Are you using Smallville as an example for proper Superman storytelling? Because I am more inclined to use it as an example of what not to do.

Comment

Are you using Smallville as an example for proper Superman storytelling? Because I am more inclined to use it as an example of what not to do.
                  Think he was using SV as an example, of an earlier Superman adaptation, where Clark was spying on a girl (remember all those scenes of him looking at Lana, through his telescope?), he likes. So, it's not something exclusive to SR.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                    Think he was using SV as an example, of an earlier Superman adaptation, where Clark was spying on a girl (remember all those scenes of him looking at Lana, through his telescope?), he likes. So, it's not something exclusive to SR.
                    A: Never called it exclusive to SR.

B: Smallville isn't a Superman story either. Early seasons of Smallville are high school boy acting like a stupid little high school boy stories. You want a Superman who acts like a freshman in high school?

Comment

I still hate these videos, because they always pick on stuff that isn't actually "wrong" and count it in their sin total.
                      These videos are just supposed to be fun, humorous videos. Hence one of my favorite critiques, "This scene does not include a lap dance."

Not that I don't wish they were more consistent; it certainly disappoints me when they have an insightful, legitimate criticism only to follow it up with something dumb. But they have a video called, "Everything Wrong With Cinema Sins." So they don't take they themselves seriously.

Comment

A: Never called it exclusive to SR.
                        No, but you included it, as a criticism against SR. Without noting that it's hardly the only film/tv show, where the main character's spying on/stalking the love interest. You also have the L&C pilot, that DJ mentioned, where Clark levitates outside of Lois' apartment and listens in on her conversation. Now I've never seen the movie, but have heard that Twilight had the vampire bloke break into the girl's bedroom at night and look at her, while she's sleeping. And then you've got the 2002 Spider-Man, where Peter follows MJ to an audition, she's gone to and she later refers to Spider-Man, as a stalker (saying it in a tone, that makes it come off, like she thinks it's romantic) and even gives him a kiss (I'll refrain from speculating, regarding the fact that we see that he could see into MJ's bedroom, from his. Just saying that he had 12 years worth of opportunity and access to cameras)..

There's probably more exemples, that I can't remember right now. But, the point is that SR is merely part of several films and shows, that sends a message, that stalking is romantic (and not creepy). It part of the problem, not the sole offender.
                        Last edited by jon-el87; 07-27-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

the point is that SR is merely part of several films and shows, that sends a message, that stalking is romantic (and not creepy). It part of the problem, not the sole offender.
                          May I just say, that's a trend I'd like to see stop.

I also don't think that the fact that it's not the only offender, if you will, excuses it from being a valid criticism. There are bad screenwriting techniques that are found in lots of stories; they're still bad.
                          Last edited by j03superbat; 09-19-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

But, the point is that SR is merely part of several films and shows, that sends a message, that stalking is romantic (and not creepy). It part of the problem, not the sole offender.
                            Um... it was number 4 on my list of problems, and that list was in addition to another list. And I still don't know how that changes my point.
                            Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 09-19-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I've always had a hard time buying the whole idea of tossing a crystal into water so it can grow into a continent. And when Lex counters the notion of governments attacking him with "I'll have alien technology thousands of years beyond whatever they can throw at me," that makes no sense. Last I checked, he isn't harboring any alien weapons. I don't think his land-growing technology will help against a missile strike. Who's going to rent that property from him, anyway? How is he going to enforce his authority?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎