No announcement yet.

Ben Affleck is Batman!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kindoalkun
    I remember the histrionics over Michael Keaton being cast as Batman. Nothing will EVER rival that.
    I was too young. He was pretty much a comedian up until that point, though, I think. So, it makes sense that people were pissed.

Comment

I think that part of the reason that I like this hiring is that the Christian Bale and Orlando Bloom rumours were irritating me.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
        I think that part of the reason that I like this hiring is that the Christian Bale and Orlando Bloom rumours were irritating me.
        Ha!

Incidentally, I wonder how many people are rushing to re-watch Daredevil now.

Comment

Imagine if history had been a bit different and the whole 'Sean Connery leaves the Bond franchise and they decide to continue without him' drama happened today.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
            Ha!

Incidentally, I wonder how many people are rushing to re-watch Daredevil now.
            I might, because I've read some people say that the director's cut is a much better movie. I had never heard of that before. It's probably some wishful thinking from irrational fanboys, but maybe it's right, so I think I'll get myself a copy.

Besides, Jennifer Garner looks hot in that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
              I might, because I've read some people say that the director's cut is a much better movie. I had never heard of that before. It's probably some wishful thinking from irrational fanboys, but maybe it's right, so I think I'll get myself a copy.

Besides, Jennifer Garner looks hot in that movie.
              I'm definitely going to re-watch it, to review Affleck's performance and also because I've always enjoyed Michael Clarke Duncan and thought he was a great choice for Kingpin.

And Jennifer Garner doesn't hurt either.

Comment

My reactions:

Initial: WTF?! Do they want me to hate this movie?

Second: Wait a minute. Ben Affleck isn't the joke he was when his career hit a lull. People don't make fun of him as "Matt Damon's buddy" anymore. He's actually a talented actor, writer, and director. And hey, didn't Heath Ledger surprise you?

Third: But he's still not Batman.

Thoughts: This decision is confusing to me on many levels. From Affleck's side, I don't understand it. Daredevil hurt his career. He has spent a great deal of time and effort making quality films like Argo and The Town, and is a highly respected person in the industry again. He has two Oscars. Rumor was that they offered to let him direct a Justice League movie and he turned it down. As an established filmmaker in his own right, one who could probably be hired to direct anything he wanted right now, why waste time being told how to make a Superman vs. Batman movie? If he had asked, he probably could have directed the damn thing two years ago! It's not as if he would use this leverage to say "okay, I'll be Batman if you let me direct JL" - because he was already offered that. Unless he's got some HUGE budget blockbuster vanity project in mind he wants WB to greenlight, I don't get how this helps him at all. The only, and I mean ONLY, motivation I could see him having is that... he just really loves Batman.

From WB's side, I guess this gets them Hollywood cred, as Affleck now has a ton of respect, but I don't get the impression that the fans love this choice. I don't get the idea that Affleck as Batman is going to sell tickets. Am I wrong? Maybe. But he seems wrong for the part to me. Also, what happened to their reluctance to cast former Marvel people? Is it because Affleck transcends that stigma? Is it because they want him to make movies for them? Is it because Daredevil was so long ago and went nowhere that they don't care?

One thing I will say... Affleck has proven that he knows how to make films. If this is some way for WB to secure his talents in that department, then good for them. Otherwise, I don't like the choice. I don't think he'll make a good Batman. I hope I'm wrong.
                Very good point's BG and I'm still thinking WTF as to him being Batman but I'll go with it and eventually come round to it same way I did with Cavill.

yeah he was offered to direct a JL movie and he flat out said "No" and after his success in writing/directing in the last three/four years he isn't to be mocked which people will still do for Daredevil which I didn't like personally but its' not for him that i didn't like it. He'll end up being a better director than he ever was an actor so I don't get this role for him. Like I said earlier word is he's been offered the Batman directors chair for they're next reboot of the character whenever that is. So maybe he want's to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                  Very good point's BG and I'm still thinking WTF as to him being Batman but I'll go with it and eventually come round to it same way I did with Cavill.
                  What was your initial problem with Cavill?

Comment

With WB going in such an unexpected direction for Batman, can I hope for Lynn Collins as Wonder Woman some day soon? Please make it so movie gods!

Comment

My reactions:

Initial: WTF?! Do they want me to hate this movie?

Second: Wait a minute. Ben Affleck isn't the joke he was when his career hit a lull. People don't make fun of him as "Matt Damon's buddy" anymore. He's actually a talented actor, writer, and director. And hey, didn't Heath Ledger surprise you?

Third: But he's still not Batman.

Thoughts: This decision is confusing to me on many levels. From Affleck's side, I don't understand it. Daredevil hurt his career. He has spent a great deal of time and effort making quality films like Argo and The Town, and is a highly respected person in the industry again. He has two Oscars. Rumor was that they offered to let him direct a Justice League movie and he turned it down. As an established filmmaker in his own right, one who could probably be hired to direct anything he wanted right now, why waste time being told how to make a Superman vs. Batman movie? If he had asked, he probably could have directed the damn thing two years ago! It's not as if he would use this leverage to say "okay, I'll be Batman if you let me direct JL" - because he was already offered that. Unless he's got some HUGE budget blockbuster vanity project in mind he wants WB to greenlight, I don't get how this helps him at all. The only, and I mean ONLY, motivation I could see him having is that... he just really loves Batman.

From WB's side, I guess this gets them Hollywood cred, as Affleck now has a ton of respect, but I don't get the impression that the fans love this choice. I don't get the idea that Affleck as Batman is going to sell tickets. Am I wrong? Maybe. But he seems wrong for the part to me. Also, what happened to their reluctance to cast former Marvel people? Is it because Affleck transcends that stigma? Is it because they want him to make movies for them? Is it because Daredevil was so long ago and went nowhere that they don't care?

One thing I will say... Affleck has proven that he knows how to make films. If this is some way for WB to secure his talents in that department, then good for them. Otherwise, I don't like the choice. I don't think he'll make a good Batman. I hope I'm wrong.
                      He's a smart guy. I think he has been nosing around a proper big budget superhero movie for a while now. That's why he had the offer to direct. It's likely he simply felt JL is not far enough along to commit, or he doesn't want to handle a multitute of Super characters. He knows his limits. I think he WANTS to be involved somewhere, somehow. It was just a matter of figuring out what project to join in on. This seems to be it.

The whole Bennifer situation is what put him in (what he and Damon call "actor jail") He literally wrote his way out of jail and proved (again) he was more than a tabloid cover story. Daredevil didn't have anything to do with it. His talent in front of and behind the camera command respect. I don't know if it's that he really loves Batman or not, but I DO believe he loves the genre. He was waiting for the chance to work on a quality project.

I had my WTF? moment as well. I feel like I felt about Rynolds as Hal. BUT but but.....I have a lot more confidence in Afleck to actually make something of it. I'm afraid Im going to see nothing more than Afleck pretending to be Batman, but Im miles ahead of where I was when I KNEW QUITE WELL I was going to see Rynolds pretending to be Green Lantern. Im cautiously optimistic.

Comment

Height and hairline of course!

Comment

Firstly I'd never heard of Cavil so that was the initial problem and they've just picked a complete nobody. So I'd heard he was in the The Tudors so watched that and he was pretty good in it and Immortals showed he can do the action stuff so there was that. But after he was cast the dedication he put in was amazing. Not only physically but the guy went out there and read from the source material to better understand what he was getting himself into. Major props for that.

With dedication like that he'll go far maybe not Oscar worthy films but then again he doesn't need them now to be a star.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	affleck-the-town-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	6628217Click image for larger version

Name:	blake-lively-ben-affleck-levis-the-town3.jpg
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	6628219Click image for larger version

Name:	ben-affleck-giggles-and-smiles-set-with-rebecca-hall.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	6628221

I'll also say this:

With the trainers involved with MoS, Afleck getting bulked up for the role is the LAST problem we all need to worry about.

I think I can see THIS guy coming out of semi-retirement to check out the Kryptonian that destroyed half of Metropolis.

Name:	argo-movie-ben-affleck.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	6628220
                            Last edited by cksidekick; 08-23-2013, 06:58 AM.

Comment

I'm honestly kinda neutral to the news. My gut tells me this is a horrible idea but my brain tells me "Is okay."

Found this funny though:

Name:	3261173-558046_10201791622411811_36365845_n.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	6628218

Originally posted by Exedore
                              Maybe that's why Superman fights Batman. Oh boy.
                              *Clark walks in Bruce and Martha doing it*
                              Clark: Bruce?!
                              Bruce: I'm Batman.

Comment

The more time processing it, the more I think he will do well in the role. He's overshadow Cavill, no doubt. And to be honest when Batman was on the scene with Superman, he overshadowed him.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎