No announcement yet.

Peter Capaldi To Keep Scottish Accent

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Capaldi To Keep Scottish Accent

So it is being reported that new Doctor Peter Capaldi will be keeping his Scottish accent. I dont mind this at all. I like the idea and keep in mind that could always change between now and when he takes over the role.

I think if Capaldi had tried to sound English, it wouldn't quite have sounded right. Tennant pulled it off, but Capaldi is one of those people that it's such a characteristic for them it would have come off disingenuous. Especially when he's angry.

Comment

I agree and his Scottish accent isn't like wow hes Scottish. Its more like u notice it and its easy on the ears u know?

Comment

Yeah, it's one of the reasons he worked as Malcolm Tucker. He sounds poetic (especially angry), even when he's saying terrible, terrible things.

Comment

Lots of planets have a Scotland? aha.

But I don't mind, he's been middle class English enough times already. Did the 7th Doctor have a scot accent too?

Comment

He mightve looking back at it Tekken.

Steven Moffat also said that he felt it was time to go older because it was a different direction after Matt and David being so young and he also said its an opportunity to show what regeneration can do. I know what he means and I like where this sounds like its going especially because he referenced Tom Baker and how he was on the show at first.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekken Force
              Lots of planets have a Scotland? aha.

But I don't mind, he's been middle class English enough times already. Did the 7th Doctor have a scot accent too?
              Sylvester McCoy's accent was very obvious - in Dragonfire, there is a moment where his companion, Mel, talks about the Loch Ness Monster, and he corrects her pronunciation of "Loch" (she rhymed it with "lock", so he replied "och" with heavy emphasis on the "ch"). In fact, his costume was changed slightly after his first story, Time and the Rani, because the tartan scarf that he was given was thought to be too much of an in-joke (the replacement had a paisley pattern, causing McCoy to observe that "Paisley is in Scotland").

David Tennant didn't use his native accent because Russell T. Davies, having excused Christopher Eccleston speaking in his Salford accent with the "lots of planets have a North" line, didn't want to make it seem that the Doctor was doing a vocal tour of the British Isles. The "mockney" pseudo-London accent could be justified as the new Doctor aping Rose, Jackie and Mickey, and Tennant had used it when starring in RTD's Casanova. The latter had been shown in Britain a month before Doctor Who's revival, so British audiences were used to Tennant using that accent. By contrast, Peter Capaldi is following Matt Smith, who used RP (received pronunciation - the official "neutral" English accent), and his native Glaswegian accent has long been softened by living and working in London. Besides, Capaldi - to an even greater extent than Christopher Eccleston was when he became the Doctor - is well-enough known to British audiences that they are familiar with him using that accent across a range of roles. Crucially, it isn't the type of thick brogue that non-Scots can have difficulty understanding, and his diction is clearer than Sylvester McCoy's (something Steven Moffat once joked about in his Seventh Doctor short story Continuity Errors).
              Last edited by newbaggy; 08-23-2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Peter Capaldi's voice has a really nice tone to his accent so I'm glad that he'll not have to put on an English accent. There seems to me to be far too many actors nowadays putting on accents which I find a little bit disconcerting so good to hear that he's going to speak in with his own accent

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎