No announcement yet.

Man of Steel Clark/Lois Relationship Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raistlin
    I have a feeling I'm all alone on this one, but I would love to see a Superman movie WITHOUT Lois Lane.
    Mmmm... No thank you.

Personally, I wouldn't be the least interested in seeing that.

Comment

I have a feeling I'm all alone on this one, but I would love to see a Superman movie WITHOUT Lois Lane.
      Personnally I'd love to see a Superman movie where Superman wouldn't need to save Lois once. Lois should be able to handle on her own.

It would have been so cool if Man of Steel had a fight scene between Faora and army brat Lois. Of course the movie would have had to introduce a kryptonite element to even the odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Rianna
        I'm so excited for this new dynamic, it's something you never get to see on films, Lois knowing his identity before he becomes Superman and all that
        I'm so glad they did this in the first film!!!

IS that from the Unscripted interview? How come we didn't get to see the longer version?

Comment

Well, if anything, the structure of Man of Steel dictates if you removed every scene with Lois Lane in it with the exception of the ending (which works as sequel-bait-introduction), nothing about the film would be remotely changed in regards to narrative, which is full of holes anyway. As it stands, Lois feels like a last-minute add on that movie had to be built around to continue production.

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
          The problem I have with that is two-fold:

1: Clark Kent and Lois Lane are kind of the mother and father of the modern day superhero myth. For me, and I realize this is probably personal taste, they go together. Seeing one without the other feels wrong.

2: It's Hollywood. They want a romance angle. Building off point 1, if I see Clark Kent kissing someone other than Lois, at this point it almost feels like he's cheating. It worked for Smallville because he's just a kid in that show. I don't want to see adult Clark with anyone else.
          I'm not so attached to Lois/Clark that I would deem him or her being romantically involved with anyone else as "cheating" of any sort, but I would wonder where Lois was if she was missing completely. Like I said, if Man of Steel excelled at anything with their underdeveloped relationship its that this Lois and Superman make better friends/bros and allies with common goals than they ever will romantic interests after that awkward kiss. That's one of the strengths of Smallville's Lois/Clark relationship to begin with anyway.

Comment

I'm happy with what I got but yeah it could've done with a couple of more quite extra scenes between the two. Awkward kiss nah didn't see it like that they both went through hell and it was a just a release of everything they went through together that it turned into a kiss. It's not a relationship the foundations have been laid down for that.

Last scene was pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
              Last scene was pretty awesome.
              The "Welcome to the Planet" quote was probably the first I full on grinned in the film.

Comment

I'm actually really excited about this. The first time since Jerry Siegel's The K-Metal from Krypton was rejected by DC editors we have a chance to see a new dynamic between Lois and Clark. This Lois knows (which is what Siegel intended way back in 1940) and the romance hasn't fully developed. The story telling chances are huge!

I really hope they do more Daily Planet Lois and Clark things in the next movie.

Comment

Originally posted by victorsage
                  I'm actually really excited about this. The first time since Jerry Siegel's The K-Metal from Krypton was rejected by DC editors we have a chance to see a new dynamic between Lois and Clark. This Lois knows (which is what Siegel intended way back in 1940) and the romance hasn't fully developed. The story telling chances are huge!

I really hope they do more Daily Planet Lois and Clark things in the next movie.

You know someone else reminded me of the K Metal storyline and how MOS Clark and Lois dynamic could work and going by the development's of the film it's similar.

I think we'll get more DP scene's with the two. A lot of things that people said was missing will be in the next one. We'll have more Clark Kent (reporter), Lois and Daily Planet characters, more experienced Superman etc. We needed to get the origin out the way then we can focus on what makes Supes great.
                  Last edited by maasaloo; 06-30-2013, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo

More of that please!!!

And wow, that are high quality pics, so the DVD/Blueray version already leaked somewhere?!

Comment

Originally posted by Gem and Gemma
                        Well, if anything, the structure of Man of Steel dictates if you removed every scene with Lois Lane in it with the exception of the ending (which works as sequel-bait-introduction), nothing about the film would be remotely changed in regards to narrative, which is full of holes anyway. As it stands, Lois feels like a last-minute add on that movie had to be built around to continue production.

I'm not so attached to Lois/Clark that I would deem him or her being romantically involved with anyone else as "cheating" of any sort, but I would wonder where Lois was if she was missing completely. Like I said, if Man of Steel excelled at anything with their underdeveloped relationship its that this Lois and Superman make better friends/bros and allies with common goals than they ever will romantic interests after that awkward kiss. That's one of the strengths of Smallville's Lois/Clark relationship to begin with anyway.

Couldn't disagree more. Lois wasn't a last minute addition or felt like one, she was the character Snyder and Goyer were looking for to cast after casting Henry, they've said this multiple times, they had already structured the movie to give her the presence and importance she had. The movie has divided the critics and the fanbase, taking Lois away might have made it unbearable and I'm sure, might have made it more 'hated' by critics, one of the biggest criticism and comments from people are the ones concerning the final moments, everybody was left wanting more of what we got during the final scene with Lois, Perry, Clark and the Daily Planet. Even you said it was the only moment that made you smile. So, for the hater that wanted a movie without Lois Lane, well, you can see how much damage that would have done.

I don't get the underdeveloped relationship accusations either. By the end of the film they're not getting engaged, or marrying, it's just a kiss!

MOS is obviously mostly Clark's journey, but they also worked more on building a solid foundation from which to then build into a romance in the sequel. Their relationship was built on trust and respect.

This wasn't love at first sight, first we see Lois 'hunting' Joe/Clark, months are passing and you can develop quite a strong respect for someone just like Lois did for Clark hearing all his heroic stories, then Clark says it himself "I'm not sure if I can trust humans either" he knows everybody is on the hunt for Kal-El, and he's afraid Lois is gonna talk, but when Lois abandones what she considers the biggest story of humanity (according to the MoS novelization) for him and doesn't say a word to the military when she's arrested Clark knows he can trust her, he says it himself "it made a difference to me". That is what I saw in their relationship in this movie, a strong sense of trust and respect for one another. It's only towards the end that it starts turning into a romantic connection, but the kiss was mostly a spur of the moment due to all the overwhelming emotions for both of them. Again, they're not in a relationship yet.
                        Last edited by Rianna; 07-02-2013, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rianna
                          Couldn't disagree more. Lois wasn't a last minute addition or felt like one, she was the character Snyder and Goyer were looking for to cast after casting Henry, they've said this multiple times, [...] So, for the hater that wanted a movie without Lois Lane, well, you can see how much damage that would have done.

I don't get the underdeveloped relationship accusations either. By the end of the film they're not getting engaged, or marrying, it's just a kiss!

[...]
                          You're free to disagree, as is your right. But, first and foremost, you really need to drop the "Hater" line when referencing me. I really does you no favors in general discourse. I didn't hate the movie and I've never said I've hated the movie. I am critical of the movie and critical does not equal nor ever will amount to "hate". Furthermore, whether or not they cast Adams/Lois in the film directly after casting Cavil/Superman, holds little to no bearing on how poorly the character was utilized. Like I stated, Lois' position in the structure of the film more or less suggests removing her meant the film wouldn't have suffered any more than it did as result of its awful pacing and script structure. The same can be said characters like Perry White, Jenny Olsen and that random ticket guy. Lois showing up at the end movie only and repeating that line to Clark still would've made me smile. It's probably the only clever bit of dialog in the film outside of Zod's "...And I'm arguing its merits with a ghost." It certainly had nothing to do with my investment in the character.

You also seem to be deliberately misinterpreting my opinion of their underdeveloped relationship as well and the use of the word itself. "Relationship" is not strictly defined or exclusive to the romantic, it is. I also never asked or desired that they get engaged or married. I said their relationship in the romantic sense as displayed by the movie never clicked because the characters status never went above platonic. They romantic, they want the mere hint of it? Put in the sequel, don't place it in a movie wherein it has no place, period.

The kissing scene, which is explicitly defining their relationship as romantic, was awkward and awkwardly delivered by the actors who didn't appear to be all that invested in a moment that completely contrasts the tone of the scene and the environment in which they stood upon kissing. The awful dialog and delivery doesn't help either. Lois and Superman as allies was working for me until Goyer and co. continued to foist the usual "Lois/Clark" themeatics into their relationship because it was expected of them given their status quo in the comics, not that it was a natural progression of their relationship. The kiss was out place and most all, it was unnearned in a relationship based more or less gratitude, but with no any real familiarity of one another. Also anything a movie can't be arsed to address in its actual context and requires the audience to go buy a tie in with dubious canon, is automatically thrown into the ring of irrelevancy.
                          Last edited by Gem and Gemma; 07-03-2013, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Lois gives Clark the faith in humanity he needs, the extra boost, to take on the Kryptonians.

Perry White is not essential to the movie. Is it bad writing to introduce a character for the sake of introducing a character?
                            Last edited by DA_Champion; 07-03-2013, 02:19 AM.

Comment

My God, those are two good-looking people. Probably Kal's first kiss, too LOL.

Glad to finally have a cute, sexy Lois. And every time I see Henry Cavill he looks more and more like Tom Welling. That may just be my Welling-Vision on, though. Hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Kindoalkun
                                My God, those are two good-looking people. Probably Kal's first kiss, too LOL.

Glad to finally have a cute, sexy Lois. And every time I see Henry Cavill he looks more and more like Tom Welling. That may just be my Welling-Vision on, though. Hehe.
                                The biggest plot hole in the movie is the fact that Lois Lane is single.

Simply not realistic :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎