Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Man Of Steel?" ("SEEN IT" Thread!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rival X The Great
    Dude he snapped his neck. He twisted it. he pulled a Solid Snake on him. We're not going to agree. Why does the villain have to die in almost every comic book movie. If i'm not mistaken he sort of slided down that hole. It's possibility that he didn't die in Superman II.

He didn't snap anything, so I guess I can't agree. It happened differently than that. And yes they did die in Superman II, it's the law of physics. I cannot imagine thinking anything different about that scene in Superman II. Unfortunately, when evil people are killing people sometimes the only solution is to do the unthinkable. Some people have a difficult time wrapping their mind around the fact that evil actually exists. But that is a different issue entirely.
    Last edited by curiosity; 06-16-2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• I've seen "Man of Steel" twice, this weekend, and I enjoyed Nolan's take on the
      character. Henry will make a good Superman. Amy will make a good Lois Lane.
      I loved all the action and explosions.

There are some things to question?

1) It seemed like by the end of the movie that everyone knew that Clark Kent
      was Kal-El.
      2) I preferred A Salkind's vision of Krypton and Fortress of Solitude (being
      crystals and ice) over Nolan's vision. Though, all the alien tech in this (which
      includes the robots) could easily be future Brainiac (who I hope is the villian in
      the next movie) and I did like this part of Nolan's vision.

I left this movie wanting more. That's a good thing since this is the first summer
      movie that I feel this way about. I'd give this movie a A-. Let's hope that it does
      well so that Warner Brothers will look towards a Justice League movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glove
        I've seen "Man of Steel" twice, this weekend, and I enjoyed Nolan's take on the
        character. Henry will make a good Superman. Amy will make a good Lois Lane.
        I loved all the action and explosions.

There are some things to question?

1) It seemed like by the end of the movie that everyone knew that Clark Kent
        was Kal-El.
        2) I preferred A Salkind's vision of Krypton and Fortress of Solitude (being
        crystals and ice) over Nolan's vision. Though, all the alien tech in this (which
        includes the robots) could easily be future Brainiac (who I hope is the villian in
        the next movie) and I did like this part of Nolan's vision.

I left this movie wanting more. That's a good thing since this is the first summer
        movie that I feel this way about. I'd give this movie a A-. Let's hope that it does
        well so that Warner Brothers will look towards a Justice League movie.
        Glad you liked the movie. I'm probably in the minority not wanting a Justice League movie and only Superman movies. Although I am hearing there will be a Superman sequel first.

Comment

• Originally posted by curiosity
          He didn't snap anything, so I guess I can't agree.
          Perhaps the sound quality was bad in your theatre because he most definitely snapped his neck. In my theatre you could literally hear the crack along with seeing Zod's head almost going full blown Linda Blair. It's even being discussed on various media and websites for the past few days. The most recent article I saw on this topic is on Entertainment Weekly entitled "What 'Man of Steel' gets wrong about Superman". Superman snapped Zod's neck like a twig.

And yes they did die in Superman II, it's the law of physics. I cannot imagine thinking anything different about that scene in Superman II.
          You may not imagine it (which is fine of course), but we surely can . Superman 2 had a very interpretative ending left for the viewer on the fates of the villains, such FoS jail chambers (this is what I heard when I was kid). In fact, in this deleted scene it shows Zod and Co. alive and being taken away by the police at the 0:12 mark:

When my parents saw this deleted scene it confirmed what they already interpretated in Superman 2. Man of Steel has no grand interpretation. Superman clearly broke Zod's neck.

Unfortunately, when evil people are killing people sometimes the only solution is to do the unthinkable.
          You see that is what makes Superman special and unique. I'm more of a Marvel fan, but Superman has always held a special place in my heart due to this moral and ethical code. Superman's rules are held in a much more higher regard. What I saw in this movie wasn't, but a man dressed up like him Superman. If they continue this route in MoS2, then you might as well call him Ultraman *shrugs*.

Are there instances where Superman killed? Yes, and those have been heavily debated as well. However, those instances were quite different than MoS. In the 1980's instance with Zod, Superman drove himself into exile and was haunted by his decision. They didn't sweep it under the rug. Due to the uproar they had to fix their mistake in the comics, and it actually meant something to the character. I was okay with what went down between Superman and Doomsday in The Death and Life of Superman. It wasn't an easy decision, and it cost Superman's life in return (though of course he did come back lol). Whereas, there is no such emotional and physical aftermath in MoS.

In MoS we get a happy go lucky, rainbow, and puppy dog ending lol. We get a Superman scream, hug from Lois, and it is swept under the rug as fast as Superman snapped Zod's neck. For the rest of the movie we have Superman cocky and arrogant with the military, and all smiles with Martha and Lois. It was as if nothing ever happened not only with Zod's murder, but also the sheer aftermath in Metropolis and Smallville with millions hurt and/or killed. I can only imagine the consequences in terms of the economy and business in both places now lol.

Some people have a difficult time wrapping their mind around the fact that evil actually exists. But that is a different issue entirely.
          Oh, believe me people know evil exists. Heck, in the passed two years we have had the Aurora Massacre, Sandy Hook Elementary Massacre, Boston Marathon Bombing w/ Manhunt, and I could simply go on and on. Believe me people know evil exists.

Little kids have a hard time wrapping their minds around it and how to handle it. When I hear from friends that they saw little boys copying Superman's Super Neck Snap as they left their theatre showing I get a sickening feeling in my gut. I don't know about you, but I don't want the children I teach to be pretending to do this on the playground when school is back in session in August. It is not what I like to see from Superman, and in the minds and actions of impressible children.

As Superman said in Superman vs. The Elite, "I heard a child say that he wanted to be in the Elite when he grows up, because it would be fun to kill bad guys. Fun to kill... People have to know that there's another way.. This is the Superman I know and love.

Btw, Backward Galaxy you wrote an outstanding review!! You pretty much summed my feelings on the movie.
          Last edited by Summers; 06-16-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• I loved every bit of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
              I hated Man of Steel, and this is why: http://www.ksitetv.com/forums/showth...=1#post7949464
              I know I saw it and then started writing a point by point rebuttal and my own views. After reaching page six on my Microsoft Word Processor I stopped because I realized it would be all for naught and could in the end just lead to a fight with a poster who I like.

I don't mind people who don't enjoy the movie. Heck there are few things about the modern Superman comics that I like so I understand the feeling of anger that can come from feeling like a character you enjoy is being abused. I just was a bit annoyed by that response particular because some people (predominately those on sites like comic book resources) started arguing about why certain writing troupes in the storyline made it the worst thing ever, despite the fact that such things have been used for over hundreds years in writing.

I shouldn't of even responded because I honestly think we are going to do nothing but waste our efforts and spin our tires, but complaining about certain writing troupes that are used to move the plot along in a story is a bit much. Then your not complaining about the content of the story, but just complaining to complain, because I guarantee there are plenty of stories were said troupes are used that people love well they complain about it here simply because they don't like the story.

The "overheard right place right time" troupe complaint really annoys me personally because some of the best mystery writers have created great stories using it. Including Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, and Mickey Spillane. And that is just to my personal knowledge.
              Last edited by victorsage; 06-16-2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• I am so torn with how I feel about Man of Steel, I really want to like it and say that I loved it but I didn't. All the way through I kept thinking this isn't the way Superman should be portrayed and that he's supposed to be a beacon of hope for mankind but I didn't see that at all in the movie. It was a good action movie but at other points it was painfully slow and too arty for me and the characters were just not acted out enough. I even think Star Trek was better than this. I left the cinema, wanting more and I still don't know if I liked it or not. I don't think I even felt like this with Superman Returns. However, Cavill totally owned his role and was Supes. I can't even rate it as I have no idea whether I loved or hated it and think I may have to watch it again. There was none of the feel good factor that I've always associated with Superman and that hurts. So on the whole, the effects and fight scenes were amazing, the acting in parts at the beginning especially in Krypton were terrible and Crowe, well that was a waste of money! Why so much screen time? I just hope if they decide to make a sequel, that they give Superman the justice this iconic hero deserves.

Comment

• Just saw it again...and yeah...still lovin it

The build up to Clark saving Lois in the pod....with Jor-El all like "you can save them all" gets me so amped

I think what some of the critics and Clois fans are harping about this film lacking will show up in the sequel where it'll resemble more your traditional SuperHero Story.CK had a lot to deal with on his plate....all before he ever truly becomes Superman to the World

And I have a hunch the whole killing thing will reverberate throughout the rest of the series. So heres to many more great DC movies!

Oh yeah....Faora's Badass Level is over 9000!!!! Props to you miss Antje Traue

Comment

• Guys, I understand the controversy and polarization over Superman killing Zod in the end. But I think we're ignoring the biggest sin here.

I am talking about Superman's fight with the crazy space spider spaceship in the Indian Ocean. I was watching this going "WTF is the point of this?" and when I saw Jon Peter's name in the credits, it all made sense.

Damn you Jon Peters. Damn you.

Comment

• I'm not even that mad with the killing of Zod. I'm mostly mad with the script overall. I thought it was just very badly written. I seen Zod killing coming to be honest cause in comic movie majority of the times the villain dies. It was no depth to the characters. It didn't really show the Kents teaching him the values that made him Superman. I didn't like the suit already being on the ship, thought that was just pretty dumb. I can go on why I didn't like this movie. I prefer my Superman not to kill but whatever. I loved Henry as Superman, Amy as Lois even though she didn't do much, wish we could of seen more of Fishbourne as Perry. Got to know more about Jenny Olsen. But main gripe is the lack of values from the Kents that made Clark who he is. Russell Crowe was the highlight of the film to be honest and Michael Shannon was amazing as Zod. Also the chick who played Faora. Beautiful acting from them all. But like I said it's the writer I have problem with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Summers
                        Perhaps the sound quality was bad in your theatre because he most definitely snapped his neck. In my theatre you could literally hear the crack along with seeing Zod's head almost going full blown Linda Blair. It's even being discussed on various media and websites for the past few days. The most recent article I saw on this topic is on Entertainment Weekly entitled "What 'Man of Steel' gets wrong about Superman". Superman snapped Zod's neck like a twig.

You may not imagine it (which is fine of course), but we surely can . Superman 2 had a very interpretative ending left for the viewer on the fates of the villains, such FoS jail chambers (this is what I heard when I was kid). In fact, in this deleted scene it shows Zod and Co. alive and being taken away by the police at the 0:12 mark:

When my parents saw this deleted scene it confirmed what they already interpretated in Superman 2. Man of Steel has no grand interpretation. Superman clearly broke Zod's neck.

You see that is what makes Superman special and unique. I'm more of a Marvel fan, but Superman has always held a special place in my heart due to this moral and ethical code. Superman's rules are held in a much more higher regard. What I saw in this movie wasn't, but a man dressed up like him Superman. If they continue this route in MoS2, then you might as well call him Ultraman *shrugs*.

Are there instances where Superman killed? Yes, and those have been heavily debated as well. However, those instances were quite different than MoS. In the 1980's instance with Zod, Superman drove himself into exile and was haunted by his decision. They didn't sweep it under the rug. Due to the uproar they had to fix their mistake in the comics, and it actually meant something to the character. I was okay with what went down between Superman and Doomsday in The Death and Life of Superman. It wasn't an easy decision, and it cost Superman's life in return (though of course he did come back lol). Whereas, there is no such emotional and physical aftermath in MoS.

In MoS we get a happy go lucky, rainbow, and puppy dog ending lol. We get a Superman scream, hug from Lois, and it is swept under the rug as fast as Superman snapped Zod's neck. For the rest of the movie we have Superman cocky and arrogant with the military, and all smiles with Martha and Lois. It was as if nothing ever happened not only with Zod's murder, but also the sheer aftermath in Metropolis and Smallville with millions hurt and/or killed. I can only imagine the consequences in terms of the economy and business in both places now lol.

Oh, believe me people know evil exists. Heck, in the passed two years we have had the Aurora Massacre, Sandy Hook Elementary Massacre, Boston Marathon Bombing w/ Manhunt, and I could simply go on and on. Believe me people know evil exists.

Little kids have a hard time wrapping their minds around it and how to handle it. When I hear from friends that they saw little boys copying Superman's Super Neck Snap as they left their theatre showing I get a sickening feeling in my gut. I don't know about you, but I don't want the children I teach to be pretending to do this on the playground when school is back in session in August. It is not what I like to see from Superman, and in the minds and actions of impressible children.

As Superman said in Superman vs. The Elite, "I heard a child say that he wanted to be in the Elite when he grows up, because it would be fun to kill bad guys. Fun to kill... People have to know that there's another way.. This is the Superman I know and love.

Btw, Backward Galaxy you wrote an outstanding review!! You pretty much summed my feelings on the movie.
                        What you said nailed it. Beautifully said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Supes_24
                          Just saw it again...and yeah...still lovin it

The build up to Clark saving Lois in the pod....with Jor-El all like "you can save them all" gets me so amped

I think what some of the critics and Clois fans are harping about this film lacking will show up in the sequel where it'll resemble more your traditional SuperHero Story.CK had a lot to deal with on his plate....all before he ever truly becomes Superman to the World

And I have a hunch the whole killing thing will reverberate throughout the rest of the series. So heres to many more great DC movies!

Oh yeah....Faora's Badass Level is over 9000!!!! Props to you miss Antje Traue

This right here and I just got back from seeing it again.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrZeppo
                            Guys, I understand the controversy and polarization over Superman killing Zod in the end. But I think we're ignoring the biggest sin here.

I am talking about Superman's fight with the crazy space spider spaceship in the Indian Ocean. I was watching this going "WTF is the point of this?" and when I saw Jon Peter's name in the credits, it all made sense.

Damn you Jon Peters. Damn you.
                            Lol I entirely forgot about that part. I remember wondering 'why are there tentacles when there are like at least 5 more super power soldiers on the ship'. Yeah the movie wasn't perfect but overall it wasn't bad. Can't please everyone. PS Henry was rocking that suit hehe.
                            Last edited by Ginx; 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• I really liked Michael Shannon as Zod. So when Superman broke his neck, I wasn't mad Superman killed. I was mad like dang he ain't coming back for future movies.

Comment

• Speaking about impressionable children, with a rating of PG 13, Superman isn't for young children anymore. In the 50s when I was a child and Superman was introduced to TV, there were some kids that were so taken with him and wanted to fly like him so they jumped off of roofs thinking they would actually fly. Children sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between fact and fiction. Like Rival X The Great said about kids copying the Super Neck Snap, this isn't something you want kids to think is okay because Superman did it. Even with the PG 13 rating, there will be parents taking their young children because normally Superman is a force for good and a hero you don't mind your kids adopting for their hero. I wonder if parents knew that Superman was going to kill, if they would even take their young children to go see it. So, now Superman is more realistic and the writer painted him in a corner to kill with his bare hands. Adults understand and some are okay with it and some, like me, are not. What about the children? I guess maybe the new Superman is limited to a 13 and above hero now. What a shame.
                                Last edited by SnowBird; 06-16-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎