Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the writers throwing out continuity and losing sight of the story?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the writers throwing out continuity and losing sight of the story?

Here's what season 1 established so far:
    >True love can break any curse
    >Bae used a magic bean to go to a place without magic.
    >Rumple created the curse to find his son
    >The curse was "supposed" to take them to the land without magic.
    >Near the end of the season, we find out the above isn't entirely true (or else none of Regina's items would hold magical properties, and the hat wouldn't have worked).
    >Emma, Neal, and August were the only known FTL people in our world that weren't affected by the curse.
    >Everyone in Storybrooke outside of Henry, Jefferson and Regina had no idea their true identity while under the curse.
    >Henry seemed generally shocked at August appearing, because nobody comes into Storybrooke.
    >August mentions how he was off doing his own thing until he got a "painful reminder," around the time Emma came into Storybrooke.
    >Regina looks good in her evil attire.
    >Cora is a master manipulator.
    >The Blue Fairy is the original power

Here's what Season 2 contradicted so far:
    >The curse MUST have erased people's memories...otherwise if August was the first to know about Storybrooke (since nobody ever comes there), what would that make Curt and Owen?
    >If the bean took Bae/Neal to a place without magic, how did he end up in Neverland? Unless Rumple used his future sense, how did he know Bae was on Earth?
    >Like an earlier mentioned thing...if magic doesn't exist in our world, how was the Dragon able to use it and produce a cure that kept its form in our world? Where did Dragon come from and how did he get here?
    >Was August lying to Emma so that she wouldn't know that he was Rumpling it up and meeting characters that would later play an important part in the plot?
    >If the Blue Fairy is the "original" power, why is it that her spells require such precise requirements before they can work?
    >If Cora is such a master strategist and manipulator (as we're shown even in this season), how did she not see her death coming the way it did?

Are there any that I missed?

I had a theory about magic in the world. Here's the link http://www.ksitetv.com/forums/showth...t-world-theory

Comment

Any established continuity was pretty much thrown out in the pilot episode. Having so many fairy-tale characters exist in the same world breaks all kinds of previous "rules" from classic literature.

Comment

We will continue to learn about some of those contradictions as more episodes follow. So far we know that Neal first ended up in London and was adopted by the "Darlings”. Where he then exchanged his place with one of the boys whom Pan's shadow was abducting into Neverland. But we don't yet know how he managed to escape after like almost a hundred years trapped. Although Pan hinted that he let him escape. He probably knew the truest believer would be Neal's son.

I think it was reasonable some objects would still hold magic from the previous world as they were taken into this because of how powerful the curse was. It was the worst of all curses ever created. But logically that magic would be run on a very weak level. Like a dying battery.

The way I see it, Storybrooke is running like a parallel dimension in our world where the enchanted forest overlaps. Magic was brought into our world by a spell thrown into the wishing well. That's the connecting point. Like an antenna. Or portal.

I think True Love is more generic than exclusive. We learned that a pure form of love can break any curse. That's why Emma's motherly kiss woke up Henry and the people of Storybrooke. It is not exclusively a lovers kiss. True love is untainted love.

Regina's curse would only affect the people who were still inside the enchanted forest and whom she wanted to bring with her. August was the first to escape through the magic tree, followed by Emma before said curse was fully cast. Henry was born years later in Phoenix, AZ. It doesn’t matter if his parents came from the Enchanted Forest because they were never under the curse. That’s why they are able to come and go with no harm. Jefferson is the tricky part of the equation. I think Regina chose to keep his memories intact just in case she needed to travel back to Storybrooke.

The Dragon sorcerer is yet to be explained. Another guy mentioned in a website that it could even be related to Mulan’s past and I am inclined to believe it is possible. Our world has no magic of its own but I think magic beings from other worlds could find ways to bring it with them just like Rumple did.

I hope the blue fairy turns out to be an evil witch or just a master mind who has her own agenda. Someone who has been manipulating events like Rumplestiltskin. She gave Neal the magic bean that forced Rumple to design the curse and manipulate Regina into enacting it. See where I’m going? Maybe this is the only way Blue could get to Pan and his upcoming demise. Just speculating!
        Last edited by LadyBlood; 11-13-2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyBlood

I hope the blue fairy turns out to be an evil witch or just a master mind who has her own agenda. Someone who has been manipulating events like Rumplestiltskin. She gave Neal the magic bean that forced Rumple to design the curse and manipulate Regina into enacting it. See where I’m going? Maybe this is the only way Blue could get to Pan and his upcoming demise. Just speculating!
          You know, after re-watching the Seasons over, you do start to wonder about her. She seems almost as knowledgeable about events without the concept of time like Rumple does. Shouldn't she have known that Rumple wouldn't follow Bae? Shouldn't she have had even an inkling that Geppetto, a guy who was clearly devoted to his son, would attempt to make sure that his son made it out alive above everyone else?

Her mannerisms and the like can be questionable at times. She's supposed to be a being of pure light and goodness, one that brings out the best in people. Do you remember how she had to keep from laughing at Nova who had dreams of being a fairy godmother? She might as well have done the up and down look and been like "mmm...yeah. You're never going to be one. You can just keep on scrubbing the dirt off my little fairy feet."

Comment

1- Well, Curt and Owen from Earth. And they were the only persons in the forest shortly before Storybrooke created. The curse was for carrying the people to another land and erase their memories about their past life in their homeland. Curt and Owen was in Earth already.

2-i think the answer of this question revealed in shows, he wasnt at Neverland in the first place, he was at London.

3-The Dragon was said his crafts doesnt belong to this World already. He's probly an outsider, we just dont know something about him.

Well i cant say something about the other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonatus
              Here's what season 1 established so far:
              >True love can break any curse
              >Bae used a magic bean to go to a place without magic.
              >Rumple created the curse to find his son
              >The curse was "supposed" to take them to the land without magic.
              >Near the end of the season, we find out the above isn't entirely true (or else none of Regina's items would hold magical properties, and the hat wouldn't have worked).
              >Emma, Neal, and August were the only known FTL people in our world that weren't affected by the curse.
              >Everyone in Storybrooke outside of Henry, Jefferson and Regina had no idea their true identity while under the curse.
              >Henry seemed generally shocked at August appearing, because nobody comes into Storybrooke.
              >August mentions how he was off doing his own thing until he got a "painful reminder," around the time Emma came into Storybrooke.
              >Regina looks good in her evil attire.
              >Cora is a master manipulator.
              >The Blue Fairy is the original power

Here's what Season 2 contradicted so far:
              >The curse MUST have erased people's memories...otherwise if August was the first to know about Storybrooke (since nobody ever comes there), what would that make Curt and Owen?
              >If the bean took Bae/Neal to a place without magic, how did he end up in Neverland? Unless Rumple used his future sense, how did he know Bae was on Earth?
              >Like an earlier mentioned thing...if magic doesn't exist in our world, how was the Dragon able to use it and produce a cure that kept its form in our world? Where did Dragon come from and how did he get here?
              >Was August lying to Emma so that she wouldn't know that he was Rumpling it up and meeting characters that would later play an important part in the plot?
              >If the Blue Fairy is the "original" power, why is it that her spells require such precise requirements before they can work?
              >If Cora is such a master strategist and manipulator (as we're shown even in this season), how did she not see her death coming the way it did?

Are there any that I missed?

You missed a lot, I'm afraid. There was only one bean left by the time Emma and Hook climbed up the beanstalk. When Neal/Bae was a kid, there were more than one bean.

Curt and Owen appeared in Storybrooke "right after" the curse was cast. And how would August know that he was the first to know about the curse? He avoided Storybrooke until 2011/2012. Curt and Owen had stumbled across Storybrooke in 1983, not long after it appeared in Maine.

Magic from the Enchanted Forest doesn't exist in this world . . . or outside Storybrooke. What makes you think that the magic from "the Dragon" came from the Enchanted Forest?

Cora may be a master strategist/manipulator, but she's not a seer. Why would you expect her to know everything? That doesn't make sense to me.

Just because the Blue Fairy is the "original power", does not make her the most powerful.

Comment

I wanted to specifically address four issues that were raised by the OP:
                Magic existing in our world outside of Storybrooke
                Although our world is referred to as 'The Land without Magic', it clearly isn't entirely devoid of the phenomenon (and no, that revelation isn't a contradiction; it's an expansion on the lore and a slight inversion of the idea that the descriptor 'The Land without Magic' is completely literal); our world is LARGELY devoid of magic - or had been, anyway - but given that most of the worlds we've seen have been affected by magic in some fashion, even if it's unknowingly - it is perfectly in keeping with what the show has established that our world wouldn't be COMPLETELY devoid of magic.

August and Emma not being the first 'outsiders' to come to Storybrooke
                Henry, Emma, and August would have had absolutely no way of knowing about Kurt and Owen Flynn because none of them were in Storybrooke when Owen and Kurt were. It's not contradictory at all to reveal information that certain characters would not have had any way of knowing about.

Magic Beans
                Magic Beans were ONLY rare by the time Emma and Hook climbed Anton's beanstalk in 2012, and the reason they were rare was explored in the episode 'Tiny', which takes place a considerable amount of time before the Dark Curse was cast, so, no, this is not by any means a contradiction of any kind with what had been previously established.

Cora's death
                Cora's not a seer, so why in the heck would you expect her to foresee her own demise? This kind of objection really is just a case of 'complaining for the sake of complaining' and 'complaining in ignorance'.

Comment

To both above on the beans bit:

So...when the Fairy told Bae that the bean he was given by her was the very last one of its kind...she was lying to him? When he went through and Rumple begged the Fairy for another, she said it again to Rumple that the bean was the last of its kind. The Rumple/Bae bit was WELL before Snow's time. They may have become rare again after the events of Tiny (which was a considerable period...enough to bring them back in supply), but it was established by the Blue Fairy that they there in VERY short supply during the Rumple/Bae time.

On the Cora bit:

Well, she obviously seemed to branch out well enough to be able to get her daughter to be queen without question (I mean killing Eva alone set things up perfectly for her daughter in the future). And for someone who was absolutely crazy with power, wouldn't it be obvious that she'd plan for herself in case someone tried to kill her? She knew her daughter's weakness and she knows how Snow operates. She also knows that Snow DIDN'T use the candle, so why is it unheard of for her to know that the candle made it to Storybrooke? For someone like her, she should have realized something was hugely amiss for it to take as long as it did for her to get to Rumple, not to mention Snow not being there. It doesn't take a seer to add things together and realize that you're being set up, and for someone like Cora, she should have seen through it easily. It's not a case of "complaining for the sake of complaining" it's a case of Cora always being the one-step ahead kind of thinker, and being offed so easily by something she should have seen coming.

It'd be like if Rumple was killed by his son Bae or Belle because the evil queen tricked them into thinking he'd revert back to his human self. The evil queen already tried tricking Belle into turning Rumple human with true love's kiss, and look how quickly he picked up on it. Even if Belle's intentions were good, he knew that the evil queen was trying to weaken him by turning him back to human and rejected the idea of true love.
                  Last edited by Leonatus; 05-04-2014, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Regarding the whole "Land without magic" thing: I assumed that it meant that there was no native magic in this world. Magical objects and people from other realms have appeared here now and then but nothing probably originated here. At least that's I make sense of it in my head. Also, Rumple released magic into the world at the end of the first season. Who knows how that changed things (though I guess one can argue that it was limited to Storybrooke).

Comment

Originally posted by Exedore
                      Regarding the whole "Land without magic" thing: I assumed that it meant that there was no native magic in this world. Magical objects and people from other realms have appeared here now and then but nothing probably originated here. At least that's I make sense of it in my head. Also, Rumple released magic into the world at the end of the first season. Who knows how that changed things (though I guess one can argue that it was limited to Storybrooke).
                      But Rumple's magic turned off when he crossed the town line, remember?

Comment

To answer the thread's question. Yes, they are.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎