Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Vampire Diaries spinoff: The Originals!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dexter
    No, if you actually watched TVD objectively, you would realize that the actors that play the Originals are superior to the regular cast.
    What makes you think I'm not watching the show objectively? If anything, the more you post the more you seem like a fangirl lashing out at anyone who doesn't share your obsessive love for The Originals.

Nina only has one facial expression as Elena. She is better at playing Katherine though.
    So you admit here that the problem is the character of Elena, which I admit has been run into the ground by poor writing, than the actress herself.

Ian's acting is so over the top that he belongs in a cartoon. His eyebrow acrobatics are one of the main reasons that I can't take Damon seriously.
    I rather like how over the top and extreme Damon is. He's a highly emotional, animated character and there's nothing wrong with that. Besides Ian can do quieter, more subdued acting as seen in the last episode.

Paul is the only good actor of the main trio.
    Probably the best, but certainly not the only talented one.

And what about Candice Accola, Michael Trevino, Kat Graham and Steven R. McQueen? All of them have given solid performances, particularly Michael Trevino who has showed himself to be a spectacular mimic of Joesph Morgan's little quirks and mannerisms as Klaus.

You can't tell me the actors playing The Originals are the only ones on the show good at their job, because that's just not true.

Mikael is actually loved by most fans and so is Finn to a lesser extent. Rebekah is hated the most. Well, I guess that Esther is hated the most, but she was just used as a plot device mainly.
    Really, I got the impression that most folk hated Mikael for his epic dressing down of Klaus, though I might have been misreading their displeasure at him being killed off so soon after his introduction.

I definitely remember hate directed at Finn though, mostly because of how complicit he was in Esther's plans and even after that because his relationship with Sage was so "boring".

Klaus and Rebekah have to be written a certain way to fit in with the rest of the characters because they get a lot of screen time. If Elijah and Mikael received as much screen time as Klaus, they would certainly lose some of their old world quality because we would see different sides of them. The writers had to humanize Klaus to justify the amount of screen time that he receives.
    That's... completely and utterly ridiculous. Rebekah and Klaus are both antagonists, and even if they weren't that in know way justifies writing them the way they have been written.

Actually, TVD has always been a high school drama.
    No, not really. In fact many viewers have been noting how the characters don't seem to be getting to school enough.

Many of the characters are highschoolers, but they are dealing with very adult problems and interacting with characters who are centuries old. Themes such as life, death, freedom, autonomy, race wars, and revolutions have all been explored. Many of the characters are fighting for their lives on an episodic basis.

Kevin Williamson has said that he wasn't interested in doing a high school drama. He developed the series to explore the dark underbelly of the town.

Just writing TVD as a "high school drama" shows a serious lack of understanding of the show.

Klaus usually lashes out because he is always being antagonized.
    No, Klaus wants to control everything and what he can't control he destroys in infantile fury.

The "heroes" of TVD are constantly antagonizing Klaus.
    The people of Mystic Falls should not have to live their lives cowering in fear of an over emotional monster who will kill their loved ones for defying him.

You strike me as one of those ridiculous Klaus apologists who thinks he's just a poor, abused woobie who needs love. That's ridiculous. While Klaus is an interesting and complex villain with a tragic history he is none the less a villain who does terrible things to people for no reason other than personal gain.

Damon and Stefan are little better, and the fact that neither of them have ever had to pay for what they've done in any serious manner is just one more example of the rapid decline in the show's quality, but at least they have a reason for doing the things they do other than "because they want to".

No, I never said that. Stop drawing drastic assumptions about me.
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I never offered any sort of solution. I merely said that it is pointless to complain about the Originals being fan service when the entire show is fan service.
    The thing is, I don't want any more fan service. You're obviously content with fan service as long as it's directed at you and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy an eyeful of Ian, Paul, Joseph and Michael every week but not when it comes at the expense of the quality of the show which it has.

I'd actually be interested in a spin off about the Originals if I wasn't sure it was going to devolve into "Klaus is just misunderstood and everyone who opposes him is the real monster" to please the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by BorisTheAnimalFan
      What makes you think I'm not watching the show objectively? If anything, the more you post the more you seem like a fangirl lashing out at anyone who doesn't share your obsessive love for The Originals.
      It probably has something to do with the fact that you have no awareness of talent. Yeah, I love the Originals, but I wouldn't say that I am obsessed with them. TVD is easily my worst show with or without the Originals. The actors that play the Originals are the most talented because they are, not because I fangirl over them. My opinion of the actors has nothing to do with the characters.

So you admit here that the problem is the character of Elena, which I admit has been run into the ground by poor writing, than the actress herself.
      The problem is the character of Elena and Nina Dobrev. Yeah, Elena is poorly written, but Nina has failed to even bring an ounce of life to the character.

Klaus is a poorly written character, but Joseph Morgan makes Klaus watchable. Stefan is a poorly written character, but Paul Wesley makes Stefan watchable. Caroline is a poorly written character, but Candice Accola makes Caroline watchable.

I rather like how over the top and extreme Damon is. He's a highly emotional, animated character and there's nothing wrong with that. Besides Ian can do quieter, more subdued acting as seen in the last episode.
      Sorry, but I can't say the same. The Eyebrow Olympics are incredibly annoying. Ian is like Kristen Stewart. Both Ian and Kristen rely on the same annoying acting choices over and over again. Ian is always doing eyebrow acrobatics and Kristen is always stuttering and sighing.

Ian's acting was more subtle in Season 1, but then again, Damon's character was more subtle in Season 1.

Probably the best, but certainly not the only talented one.
      Paul is certainly the best and certainly the only talented one.

And what about Candice Accola, Michael Trevino, Kat Graham and Steven R. McQueen? All of them have given solid performances, particularly Michael Trevino who has showed himself to be a spectacular mimic of Joesph Morgan's little quirks and mannerisms as Klaus.
      Candice Accola is a good actress. Michael Trevino is similar to Nina in which he only has a limited amount of facial expressions. He did a disservice to Klaus unlike Matt Davis who played Klaus brilliantly. Bonnie doesn't get enough screen time for me to fairly judge Kat Graham's acting. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the hybrids have received more screen time than Bonnie in Season 4.

You can't tell me the actors playing The Originals are the only ones on the show good at their job, because that's just not true.
      Actually, I said that the actors playing the Originals and Paul are the only ones on the show that are good at their job.

Look, the acting is good for a teen drama, but it isn't good compared to shows that are actually taken seriously.

That's... completely and utterly ridiculous. Rebekah and Klaus are both antagonists, and even if they weren't that in know way justifies writing them the way they have been written.
      Klaus and Rebekah are not just spoiled, whiny brats though. You are oversimplifying Klaus and Rebekah.

No, not really. In fact many viewers have been noting how the characters don't seem to be getting to school enough.
      You are being way too literal. High school drama and teen drama are the same thing.

Many of the characters are highschoolers, but they are dealing with very adult problems and interacting with characters who are centuries old. Themes such as life, death, freedom, autonomy, race wars, and revolutions have all been explored. Many of the characters are fighting for their lives on an episodic basis.

Kevin Williamson has said that he wasn't interested in doing a high school drama. He developed the series to explore the dark underbelly of the town.

Just writing TVD as a "high school drama" shows a serious lack of understanding of the show.
      These characters deal with death? I am pretty sure that none of these characters care that their loved ones die. Elena got over Jenna's death pretty fast. I think that Elena is a sociopath.

The people of Mystic Falls should not have to live their lives cowering in fear of an over emotional monster who will kill their loved ones for defying him.
      You could also be describing Damon. Why are the protagonists only trying to kill Klaus and not Damon? This show makes no sense.

You strike me as one of those ridiculous Klaus apologists who thinks he's just a poor, abused woobie who needs love. That's ridiculous. While Klaus is an interesting and complex villain with a tragic history he is none the less a villain who does terrible things to people for no reason other than personal gain.
      You are terrible at reading people then. I have no sympathy for Klaus. I know that Klaus deserves to die. It isn't my fault that the protagonists are too stupid to kill him though.

To say that Klaus is a complex character shows that you have no understanding of the show though. Klaus is unapologetically selfish and completely oblivious to what is right and wrong. He has no value for life except his own. Klaus is one dimensional.

Damon and Stefan are little better, and the fact that neither of them have ever had to pay for what they've done in any serious manner is just one more example of the rapid decline in the show's quality, but at least they have a reason for doing the things they do other than "because they want to".
      What reasons are those?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
      That would be funny if it was true.

The thing is, I don't want any more fan service. You're obviously content with fan service as long as it's directed at you and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy an eyeful of Ian, Paul, Joseph and Michael every week but not when it comes at the expense of the quality of the show which it has.

I'd actually be interested in a spin off about the Originals if I wasn't sure it was going to devolve into "Klaus is just misunderstood and everyone who opposes him is the real monster" to please the fans.
      The fan service is going to keep on coming, so good luck with that.

Comment

Well well well. I think the best actors is the show are: Ian, Paul, Joseph and Nina. Ian coz he was brilliant i the firsttwo seasons as a badboy. He shows all Damon' emotions in away we have no doubt abt what he's feelinh in the scene. And even since the third season when the producers and writterkinda softened him, he still can reach our emotions.
        Paul: I can't lie I thought of Stefan as boring,crying baby and insecure till season 2 finale. From then he justsurprised me in avery goodway. Paul does a beautiful job playing both th annoying good Stefan aswellashe doesTheRipper.
        Jpseph: Klaus is meanandevil. And it requires a lot of anactor toget pplhetehis character. So congrats.
        Nina: she most her great tatent when she played so differently 2 completely antagonic charcters like Elena andKatherine. Ad now,sheseems to be evena new one, knce she's no longer that boring defeneless good girl nor the evil katvampire. She finally taking her destiny in her own hands andmaking her decisionsdespite what others think or evenif they agree or not. She just do it.
        So what it is obvious to me is that is not the actors fault if their characters are kinda boring or evenmeanless sometimes. The problem lays w/ the writters andproducrs who arereally missguidingthestorylines.

Comment

"The Vampire Diaries": In "The Originals" backdoor pilot (Episode 20 this season), Klaus will meet the beautiful and intelligent Camille, a psychology student at Tulane in New Orleans. Like Elena before her, Cami is a human, unaware of the "supernatural storm" brewing around her -- but she's certainly intrigued by the darker side of the French Quarter. She'll be particularly drawn to Klaus, because as a smart and curious student, she's intrigued by one question in particular: What makes someone evil? If anyone can answer that, it's our very own Original hybrid. If "The Originals" gets picked up to series, Cami will be a regular cast member. (Also, some good news for you purists -- in addition to Atlanta, we're hearing that some scenes for the episode will actually be shot in New Orleans.)

Comment

Casting underway for series regulars on The Vampire Diaries spin-off 'The Originals'

Warner Bros. Television in association with Bonanza Productions and Alloy Entertainment are in pre-production on a new series titled "The Originals", which will be a spinoff from the hit CW series "The Vampire Diaries". Casting directors in Los Angeles and New York are holding auditions for the series regulars, which include an over 18 actress who can play a 16 year old witch, an early 20's female student who is intrigued by the deviance of the French Quarter, a late 20s early 30s female witch, and Klaus' diabolical former protégé Marcel who is late 20s early 30s. Shooting begins March 6, 2013 and will take place in New Orleans and Atlanta.

"The Originals" centers on Klaus Mikaelson and the Original family of vampires, as he returns to the supernatural crucible that is the French Quarter of New Orleans, a town he helped build centuries ago, and is reunited with his diabolical former apprentice Marcel. The show will feature two new characters who are witches, as well as a human female named Cami who is a psychology student fascinated by the study of Human Behavior. Cami is allured to the aberration of the French Quarter, resolute on answering the unanswerable question - what makes someone evil?

Starring in the pilot episode of "The Originals" is two-time Teen Choice Award nominee Joseph Morgan, who will continue his "The Vampire Diaries" role of Klaus Mikaelson. Morgan is an English actor who studied at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London, UK. Among his film credits are "Alexander" starring Angelina Jolie and Colin Farrell, and "Immortals" starring opposite Henry Cavill. Phoebe Tonkin will also star in "The Originals" playing the werewolf Hayley, a character that was introduced in season four of "The Vampire Diaries".

"The Vampire Diaries" showrunner Julie Plec will executive produce "The Originals" and serve as head writer. Plec developed "Diaries" along with Kevin Williamson, who will not be involved with "Originals". Leslie Morgenstein will executive produce for Alloy Entertainment. Morgenstein is also currently executive producer of the hit ABC Family series "Pretty Little Liars". Senior vice president of television for Alloy Entertainment, Gina Girolamo, will also executive produce. Michael Narducci will serve as the show's producer.

"The Originals" new characters will be introduced on "The Vampire Diaries" season 4, episode 20.
            Last week, news broke that the CW was actively developing a Vampire Diaries spinoff with showrunner Julie Plec that would center on Klaus (Joseph Morgan) — working title The Originals — and that the April 25 episode of TVD would serve as a backdoor pilot. Though she doesn’t want to say too much about a show with a fate unknown, EW was able to get a few teases from her.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The idea of doing a spinoff has been around for a while. Why was the time right to pull the trigger?

JULIE PLEC: It’s actually something that we’ve been talking about for two years, that we contemplated trying to get off its feet last year, but there was just too much work to do in too little time. So that gave us an opportunity this year to spend a lot more time putting it together — seeing if, obviously, our actors had any interest whatsoever continuing the life of these characters [Laughs] and if there was a story to tell. It all came together in a way that we finally felt would not detract from our most important baby right now, The Vampire Diaries, and would give us a chance to expand the universe with characters that we’ve had another year to get to know.

What can you tease about the April 25 episode?
            The idea is that a turn of events in Mystic Falls sends Klaus to New Orleans to solve a mystery. He gets word that some people are making a move against him that might concern him. So he heads to New Orleans to try to figure who’s plotting against him and what they’re up to. And in unfolding that mystery, it takes him back to a town that several hundred years ago, he was actually one of the original settlers of and helped build. He reacquaints himself with a vampire that he actually turned back in the day, Marcel, who has created a whole set of rules and a whole society for the supernatural community that he’s in charge of — sort of tipping his hat to Klaus and saying, “You taught me everything I know.” So Klaus’ protegé is now the big king of the supernatural community in New Orleans and Klaus is stepping back into that.

Have you cast Marcel?

No, we start casting, I think, in the next week or two.

How would you describe him?

He is the life of the party. He is diabolical, and dangerous, and he is a rock star. If anything, he’s that kind of hard-partying, hard-living vampire who knows how to enjoy the most out of life in the French Quarter.

And so if it were to go to series, New Orleans would remain the setting.

Yes. When I talked about it to the network and the studio, I said, “In its own way, the French Quarter, with its less than 3,000 inhabitants, is the ultimate small town.” So it’s still a small-town story, it’s just a town that we all know pretty well. We all have our own party fantasy that we’ve either lived or wanted to live in New Orleans.

Fans have been wondering what could keep Klaus occupied, and how Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) will get involved.

That is all part of the big mystery. I will say no one should assume anything about the way this is gonna play out, because with luck, it will be a nice surprise for everybody.

Would there be a role for Elijah (Daniel Gillies) in the spinoff, because there needs to be.

Oh, in the world of Julie Plec [Laughs] and her obsession with Daniel Gillies, there is always a role for Elijah. It’s only a matter of whether in Daniel Gillies’ world there is an interest in having a job with Julie Plec. But I can hope the answer is yes.

So you have talked to him about the possibility.

Yes. Absolutely. You’d have to ask him where he stands…. By the way, make sure it’s clear that I’m being ironic when I refer to myself in the first person. [Laughs]

What about Rebekah (Claire Holt)? She’s back in the picture this Thursday, when TVD returns with new episodes, but she and Klaus aren’t exactly happy with one other.

Right now, she’s really mad at him, and their relationship has several more mountains to climb in the next, even, five episodes, much less a future series. I think she’s another character that would be a tremendous asset to both shows. So it really all comes down to Rebekah’s future, and Claire’s future with Rebekah, and all that stuff that remains undetermined.

Would you have the title of showrunner on both shows?

I think. Truthfully, we haven’t talked about that other than that I would likely share that title with Caroline Dries on The Vampire Diaries and then be the showrunner on The Originals. The great thing about The Vampire Diaries is that Caroline has really come into her own over the three-plus years she’s been on the show and is a terrific leader, and an amazing writer, and knows the show inside and out. So I would still be there every step of the way, but she would be taking on a lot more responsibility than she already has. And Mike Narducci, who’s someone else who’s been very important on The Vampire Diaries, would come over to The Originals and take up the mantle there. So with luck, two brilliant people who’ve grown up in a Vampire Diaries universe can continue to be brilliant as we split it over two shows.
            I have heard that Caroline is going to become a main character on TVD. If that is true, then it is a good thing that I will be done with TVD when the Originals leave.

Comment

Daniel Gillies Joins CW's 'Vampire Diaries' Spinoff 'The Originals'

He'll play one of the lead roles in the series and reprise his role as Elijah in the back-door pilot from Julie Plec.

The CW's Vampire Diaries spinoff has booked another original.

Daniel Gillies has signed on to play one of the lead roles in the network's Vampire Diaries back-door pilot The Originals, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Gillies will reprise his role as Elijah and segue from the flagship series into the planted spinoff, joining Phoebe Tonkin (Hayley) and Joseph Morgan (Klaus).

In episode slated to air April 25, Klaus returns to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans, a town he helped build centuries ago, and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel.

The Originals, the first existing vampires in the world and first seen in season two, have become a major part of the Vampire Diaries, with Morgan proving to be a favorite.

The Vampire Diaries executive producer Julie Plec, who will write the episode, is shepherding the spinoff, with Alloy Entertainment's Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo also on board as executive producers. Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios are the studios behind the potential spinoff.

For Gillies, The Originals is in second position to CTV's Saving Hope, where he plays Dr. Joel Goran. His starring role in the Canadian medical drama is not expected to interfere with The Originals.

A central theme of the new series will be the voodoo and dark witchcraft running rampant in New Orleans' French Quarter, so naturally, witches will have a strong presence in the series. Fans can expect to meet Sophie, a witch whose magic has been compromised -- and she's not happy about it. She's certainly a force to be reckoned with, and she's sowing the seeds of a supernatural revolution.

Another series regular character yet to be cast is a teenage witch, Davina. Growing up, she's been very sheltered, but we're guessing that won't last very long with a couple of Original vampire brothers storming into town.
              Say goodbye to TVD.

Comment

Aaaaaahhhh!!! Elijah!!!! I'm so nervous and excited! I don't want them to ruin his character.

Maybe they are planning for the end of TVD...which is weird since they still have Supernatural going on. Maybe they're realizing their huge mistake in having Damon and Elena have sex.

Comment

I'm worried they will try to pair Klaus with Haley on the show to be honest. YUCK. Why did Klaus even let her live? At the very least, they should make Tyler lose control and kill her considering baby vamps/hybrids are suspose to have such terrible control and he's never had any problems with bloodlust but if he was to be near the chick he probably blames for his mom's death? (Besides Klaus of course and his self doubt that it was his fault.) Buh-bye control.

And yes, selfishly, regardless, this would mean an apparent end to Klaroline which to me would suck because I think those two actors have great chemistry with eachother onscreen.

Comment

It looks like Camille will be Klaus' love interest, so I don't think that we have to worry about Hayley.

Elijah is going to be allies with Marcel's enemies to keep Klaus in check. I love that so much. Elijah and Klaus have the most interesting relationship on TVD.

I hope that some actors that I have never seen before get chosen to play Marcel and Camille.

Comment

Hollywood.com caught up with Roche at ABC’s The Makeover red carpet Tuesday night, and he was more than happy to shed some light on his possible future on the TVD spinoff. When asked if we would be seeing the Original Father in New Orleans in any flashback capacity (Klaus killed Mikael in episode 9 of Season 3 of TVD), he wasn’t sure. “Well I don’t know yet,” Roche says. “A few of my sons have been approached, Daniel Gillies and Joseph [Morgan]. It would be wonderful, but that’s up to [executive producer] Julie Plec to decide that. Of course I would love to, being the Papa Orignal. That would be a great thing if I could even just guest star or recur.” Hear that, Plec? We want to see some Original Papa!

Roche was also a little more forthcoming about his future on another show, revealing that he is going to appear once again on a show he’s been on before. But when asked to elaborate on which one, he clammed up. “I can’t tell you which one it is,” he says. “They’re very secretive on it.” Perhaps we’ll be seeing Mikael even sooner on another flashback episode of TVD. Or could the angel Balthazar be making a return trip to Supernatural? Even though angel Castiel killed him in the Season 6 finale, death isn’t always final on this – or any – CW show.

Papa Original has spoken.

Last edited by Sugar; 01-26-2013, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I think it's a terrible idea to have "The Originals" spinoff. I am also not happy about Phoebe Tonkin being part of it......I dislike her alot. I won't be watching!

Comment

Got any scoop on The Vampire Diaries spin-off episode? — Jorge
                          NATALIE:
                          After Klaus and Haley's hookup, Phoebe Tonkin's casting on the spin-off makes a little more sense, but in the backdoor-pilot episode, we'll discover why they'll always be connected — and why Elijah is so damn happy about it.

Comment

Here's the promo for the pilot episode of The Originals...

It's weird seeing Klaus as the main character.
                            Last edited by Sugar; 04-19-2013, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hhhandsteph
                              I think it's a terrible idea to have "The Originals" spinoff. I am also not happy about Phoebe Tonkin being part of it......I dislike her alot. I won't be watching!
                              You and me both. Though I can rethink abt it just coz I LOOOOOVE DANIEL GILLES!!

Comment

This Thursday is the pilot episode for The Originals!!

Here's a sneak peek:

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎