Collapse
No announcement yet.

#5.12 "Diamond of the Day, Part 1"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I debated on whether to watch this over this weekend or wait until part 2 had aired and watch the two series finales together. I'm so glad I didn't wait! This was a great episode (went by so fast!).

Okay, Alien facehugger vibes at the start with that thing that takes people's magic (you know, for having 'eradicated' the Old Religion, Uther didn't seem to have done a very job of it. There's a lot of it still around to come back, it seems.).

The pub scene was just brilliant. Arthur hanging out with his men (as Uther never would have), Merlin using his magic to beat Prince Prat, very cute (but I still don't get how Arthur misses things like Merlin's eyes glowing!).

The facehugger attacking Merlin and Gaius to the rescue but too late, Merlin's lost his magic. I actually had to take a moment and realize we've never done the classic 'hero loses his powers' story with him before (that I can recall anyway).

Mordred receives a blade burned by dragonfire, eh?

And Merlin's off to the Crystal Caves (Mary Stewarts Crystal Cave series were some of the first Merlin stories I ever read so always nice to hear the Caves get a mention) with Gwaine.

Arthur's reaction to the reveal that Merlin wasn't coming with was perfect. He seemed so hurt, as he admits how brave he thinks Merlin really is. A lovely scene, really well acted by Bradley.

Annnd the hot blonde is a traitor. Not that surprised, actually.

Morgana trapping Merlin in the cave. I knew he'd get out somehow--figured something in the cave would re-energize his magic. Never figured we'd see "Dad" again though. I have to admit, I'm not that fond of Merlin's father but I did like the whole "it's within you" message (reminded me of The Wizard of Oz--you've had the power all along, type thing?). I also love that Arthur 'got' Merlin message through the crystal.

The armies clash, Mordred obviously looking around the battlefield for Arthur, and then Merlin (and as old!Merlin/Emrys too, that was a surprise) is ready to join the fight.

I feel excited for part 2, which is something I haven't for a while in Merlin, but sad that we're almost to the end. Season 5 (and, in a big way, Alex Vlahos, who has been just fantastic as Mordred) has revitalized this series, IMO. Where once I would not have been, now I'm sad that Merlin is leaving the airwaves soon.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎