No announcement yet.

Under the Dome (CBS)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under the Dome (CBS)

CBS has ordered a 13 episode series based on Stephen King's novel Under the Dome, skipping the usual pilot development process. The show is slated to debut next summer, a departure from CBS's usual summer line-up of reruns and Big Brother. Neal Baer, whose credits include Law And Order: SVU and ER will be the showrunner. The premise involves one of King's typical small New England towns whose residents wake up one morning to discover that it hs been covered by a giant transparent dome that effectively imprisons everyone. Sounds Revolution-y. Of course, since this is CBS, each episode may involve a team of investigators solving a crime within the domed town.
    Could be an interesting series.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 11-30-2012, 09:01 PM.

I saw this news and wasn't sure how to feel. I love Stephen and UTD was a good book but not one of his better, IMO. I can see it becoming a series (though wow, the build up to the reveal is going to have to be a long one!), but it will be interesting to see how they go about things. And how much of it is going to have to be inferred (this is Stephen we're talking about. A pay cable show could get away with a lot more than CBS) regarding certain aspects.

They must think the King name will sell it, though, since they went straight to a series order (have they forgotten that Hospital show and "Golden Years"?).

Comment

Under the Dome (CBS)

From CBS.com:

CBS WILL TAKE VIEWERS “UNDER THE DOME” IN SUMMER 2013
      Network Orders 13-Episode Series Based on Stephen King’s Best-Selling Novel

CBS Entertainment and CBS Television Studios Join Forces with

Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television and Simon & Schuster For

Summer 2013 Television Event

STUDIO CITY, Calif. – CBS has given a straight-to-series order for 13 episodes of UNDER THE DOME, a serialized drama from Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television based on Stephen King’s best-selling novel of the same name. The series will be broadcast in summer 2013.

UNDER THE DOME is the story of a small New England town that is suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The town’s inhabitants must deal with surviving the post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from and if and when it will go away.

CBS and Simon & Schuster will cross-promote the television series and book in advance of the show’s summer launch with the April 2013 re-release of trade paperback and electronic editions from its Pocket Books imprint. UNDER THE DOME was initially published by Simon & Schuster's Scribner imprint in November 2009, earning widespread critical acclaim and #1 best-seller status.

“This is a great novel coming to the television screen with outstanding auspices and in-season production values to create a summer programming event,” said Nina Tassler, President of CBS Entertainment. “We’re excited to transport audiences UNDER THE DOME and into the extraordinary world that Stephen King has imagined.”

In addition to the featured broadcast on CBS, UNDER THE DOME will have a unique programming model tailored for a summer launch with a multi-platform window available for each episode shortly after the network airing. The series will be distributed domestically by CBS Television Distribution and worldwide by CBS Studios International.

CBS Television Studios will produce the series in association Amblin Television. Neal Baer, Stephen King, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Stacey Snider and Brian K. Vaughan, who wrote the television adaptation, will serve as executive producers. Acclaimed director Niels Arden Oplev will direct the first episode.
      Premieres June 24th...

Casting...

http://tvline.com/2013/01/25/under-t...itt-robertson/

Comment

I'm pretty excited about this show.

Comment

First Look:

Comment

I haven't been following this until I saw a commercial this evening and I saw my Britt! I will be watching.
            Last edited by Caught_In_The_Sun; 06-16-2013, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Premieres this Monday.

Comment

On tonight! 10PM EDT CBS!

TVByTheNumbers has a prediction poll for ratings; http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...e-poll/188542/

Comment

Excited that this is finally come on!

Hate that it's on at the same time as teen wolf.

Comment

"The pink stars are falling in lines."

So, aliens right... What else is it gonna be. Let's do a run-down:

1) Aliens. Well because the pink stars are falling. Falling in lines. They can't have that. But seriously, aliens seems most likely. Reminds me of an episode of Star Trek TNG where the aliens could only communicate to humans in dreams, and they connected with Deanna Troi with a recurring message "Eyes in the dark...one moon circles". Perhaps something similar is happening here where they can only communicate with "younger humans" via those seizures. Also reminded of episodes of The (New) Outer Limits. If it's aliens, possible reasons for isolating this town of people could be:

- protection from an imminent threat to the Earth (like something falling from the sky and bombarding the planet). Trying to save some of the human race so that they don't all go extinct.
                    - an alien experiment, to study human nature. To see if the human race is worth saving. Or worthy of existence, period. To see what mankind will do to each other. Will they work together, or will they destroy each other. They may have determined the town contained a good mix of different types of people. Corrupt politician, teen girl who used to be a witch, suicidal teen boy obsessed with former teen witches, interracial lesbian couples, murderers, hell this town's got it all. This is almost sounding like a sequel to "Lost". I'm also reminded of Persons Unknown.
                    - the message might be a warning, but it might also be a request for something the aliens need...maybe the aliens need help, and this is the only way they can communicate. By blocking off the town from its surroundings, making it possible for them to reach out to younger humans through those seizures. In other words, basically the plot of that TNG episode (called Night Terrors).

2) A government organization or some company/corporation is behind it.

- could be an experiment (a social experiment) to test the effects of isolation on a large group of people. Or perhaps they intend to infect the town with some sort of disease or what have you.
                    - less likely: could be a military experiment, to test "force field" technology or Star Trek type "shields". Perhaps the shield is being tested on a small scale first. Is this shield to be used for war? Or for protection from some sort of threat from space?

3) This is a sequel to Lost. The mysterious dome is a product of the collective wills or desires of the people in this town. They "need" this to happen, and they themselves are the "power source" for it. Maybe the suicidal kid killed himself and this is his afterlife. Maybe the whole town was destroyed and they're all in purgatory. Maybe Jacob and the Man in Black will arrive any day now. Maybe God hates this town and his judgment hath cometh.

Nice to have another mystery sci-fi series.

Comment

I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed it. Is that farm boy the kid who plays young Sam Winchester on Supernatural? Also cool to see Kates mom and the Pilot dude from LOST.

Comment

On CBS, the series premiere of Under the Dome earned a 3.2/9 adults 18-49 rating & 13.14 ViM.

Wow! Hopefully it will hold up good the rest of the summer.

I liked Barbie, Julia and of course Britt's character Angie. The creepy obsessive boyfriend needs to go...I was annoyed with him from his first scene with Angie. Overall it was pretty good.

[edit] UTD was adjusted up to 3.3/9 and 13.53 ViM That is awesome!
                        Last edited by Caught_In_The_Sun; 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by superhippie2000
                          I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed it. Is that farm boy the kid who plays young Sam Winchester on Supernatural? Also cool to see Kates mom and the Pilot dude from LOST.
                          I noticed that too so I looked it up and it is young Sam. Colin Ford as Joe McClatchey.

Comment

Just watched it all and it was alright. Not bad for a pilot but not great. Definetely didn't follow the book that well. I can say tho that it's a lot better than some other stephen king stuff out there. His stuff doesn't translate well to film.

Comment

I finally got to see the Pilot and I thought it was pretty good.

The SPN fans are all abuzz because of Colin being in this, so I was on the lookout for him. Didn't have to wait long!

Okay, geek mode on. When we got the 'stars fall down' line I grinned. Because one of TPTB for this show is Brian K. Vaughn and while he's done some TV stuff (like Lost, I believe?) I mostly know him from his comic book work. Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina, in particular. And in the latter, one of the 'catchphrases', recurring lines from that book is a line about 'stars fall down'. So I immediately wondered if BKV had a hand in putting that in.

The differences between book and series (it's been a while since I read the book. I wanted to re-read before the show started but didn't have a chance) were sometimes subtle and sometimes really not *cough*Angielives*cough. The start with Barbie was interesting, makes me wonder how that will play out now.

And is it me or do they seem to be setting up either Julia/Barbie or Angie/Barbie (or both)?

I totally did not recognize Jeff Fahey as Duke (he looked familiar but I had to go back to the credits to figure out who Duke was played by). Wasn't expecting the pacemaker to blow like that. (And wow, looked like no one on the other side of the dome seemed to care. I mean, they might have figured out that they couldn't do anything for him but no one even seemed to be watching, to me.)

A good start, I thought, though. And the changes they've made mean that those of us who have read the book will still be 'surprised' (in a good way or a bad way, who knows?) watching this show.

BTW, the cow scene? Ew!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎