Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smallville Season 11: "Detective: Digital Week 10 (11-16-2012)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallville Season 11: "Detective: Digital Week 10 (11-16-2012)

Our usual thread creators seem to be AWOL, so I'll start it off.

The new issue is up. Say what is on your mind.

Oops! I messed up on the poll. I can't figure out how to fix it.
    10: Super Cool
    0%
    1. Yike! Is this a prank?
    0%

Just checked out the latest issue. It seems that the artist has gone on holiday or has forgotten what the characters from Smallville actually look like because the illustrations are extremely poor and no where near the quality of the previous issues. May as well of used stick men to progress the story.
    Last edited by Marney_5; 11-16-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I haven't checked it out yet, is it a different artist? After all people said the same things when Chris Cross took over from Pere Perez...

Comment

Yes, it looks like Chris Cross isn't doing the art for the final three chapters of 'Detective'. Kevin West is the artist on this chapter (and likely the following two). And Cat Staggs didn't do the digital covers for the first time.

Posted this elsewhere: Might just be me but this episode seems to have lost some steam. This chapter isn't bad, per se, but it seems a bit too far removed from Smallville to keep the investment. To this point, Freeze's involvement in the story seems superfluous. And now we've got Bats and Supes in special armor suits.

It all works from a comic standpoint and is certainly the kind of thing we've seen before. It just seems to be missing that SV aspect of it. Only 2 more chapters to go in this episode. While I've enjoyed things about it, I'll be kind of glad to move on to something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Playhouse
          Posted this elsewhere: Might just be me but this episode seems to have lost some steam. This chapter isn't bad, per se, but it seems a bit too far removed from Smallville to keep the investment. To this point, Freeze's involvement in the story seems superfluous. And now we've got Bats and Supes in special armor suits.

It all works from a comic standpoint and is certainly the kind of thing we've seen before. It just seems to be missing that SV aspect of it. Only 2 more chapters to go in this episode. While I've enjoyed things about it, I'll be kind of glad to move on to something else.
          Couldn't agree more. A chapter like this could have worked down the line but it came too early imo.
          Last edited by costas22; 11-17-2012, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Yes, it looks like Chris Cross isn't doing the art for the final three chapters of 'Detective'. Kevin West is the artist on this chapter (and likely the following two). And Cat Staggs didn't do the digital covers for the first time.

The bolded!

Thanks for this post. It's good to know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Comment

I loved the "anti kryptonite armor" in Superman/Batman "K" but here it looked weird...like you guys said, it's pretty removed from what Smallville usually does, I don't see this happening in the show. But I still loved Clark and Bruce's talk about fear and hope, that was pure Smallville.

Comment

Actually, there might be a misprint on comixology's part, because Cat Staggs did do the digital cover for these three chapters. It appears on her FB and deviant art pages.
                Last edited by meggieh69; 11-17-2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ-90
                  But I still loved Clark and Bruce's talk about fear and hope, that was pure Smallville.
                  Totally agree that the fear vs. hope discussion was pure Smallville. It was fantastic to see Bruce and Clark discuss these issues, as I've always imagined they would on the show if Batman would ever be allowed on it. I'd like to see greater demonstrations of this theme in the coming issues. I'd like to see it played out where we see the different methods they use and how they may disagree but their goals are the same (much like "Public Enemies" does so well, or John Byrne did in his version of Batman's introduction to Superman in his "Man of Steel" series).

I also love Clark's depiction in the comic. He is *very* Superman but also pure "SV" Clark too. Loved his humor with Lois, and I loved to see him really using his intellect with Bruce. It was refreshing to see Clark really help devise a superhero plan like that without any help from Chloe or Lois. (Oh and speaking of Chloe, that was great when she came to Ollie's rescue and those two have spot-on dialog and good artwork!)

Another one one of my favorite aspects was Lex and Tess's chat. I love that Lex becomes more and more like "comic book Lex" (having Otis bring him popcorn while he watches news footage about Superman being shot; calling Otis an "idiot" afterward; smugness; dark humor), but having Tess there keeps him still grounded firmly in "SV" continuity. The inclusion of Tess in this comic was a stroke of genius on BQM's part. I also loved Lex's reference to his father, although the artwork of Lionel really threw me off for a moment.

While I agree with some that this episode has started to feel a little bit too far removed from the "SV" style, I still loved the issue regardless. Excellent stuff all around. I hope they continue to keep up the great writing, and simply improve the artwork to look a bit more reminiscent of the actors, and just increase the overall "SV" feeling. But other than that, stellar storytelling, and I'm loving to see Clark truly earn the Superman suit and persona!

Comment

This is a fair call.

Comment

I hope the comic isn't losing momentum. Still hasn't hit the comixology charts. Perhaps because the episodes are so dragged out?

the art was horrible this week and the story didn't go to far. Loved the Tess/lex stuff (though the art took me out of it) and liked the costumes (though, as noted, not very smallville esque).

Clark finally meets Bruce and, interestingly, it doesn't feel quite like Smallville. The inclusion of Mr. Freeze doesn't help, IMHO. The issue isn't over, but I think I oreffered guardian. For one, it had consistently solid art. Two, it really felt 100% pure smallville.

Comment

Another great chapter I love the interaction with everybody in this issue the art is change from chris cross is very different yet solid issue 8/ 10 to merryLexmas I agree with the Clark and Bruce interaction as for comixology charts it still climbing but I also think there updating the site.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ-90
                          I loved the "anti kryptonite armor" in Superman/Batman "K" but here it looked weird...like you guys said, it's pretty removed from what Smallville usually does, I don't see this happening in the show. But I still loved Clark and Bruce's talk about fear and hope, that was pure Smallville.
                          Agreed on both accounts. Though Clark's speech wasn't as irritatingly cheesy as they usually are.

Still, a good entertaining issue.

Comment

One word, DISAPPOINTED!

Comment

Well, with the way #21 ended this one turned out to be a little anti-climatic. It felt a little disappointing after having to wait for so long and with the way the last issue ended. Still good though.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎