#5.03 "The Death Song of Uther Pendragon"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #5.03 "The Death Song of Uther Pendragon"

Episode Description:

When a stranger gives Arthur the power to summon the dead, the king finds himself torn between head and heart. Unable to resist temptation, he seizes the chance to speak to the person he misses most - his father, Uther. But the spirit world is a dark and dangerous place... Little does Arthur realize that his decision comes at a terrible price. Against all odds, Merlin must put right Arthur's mistake before Camelot and everything they have built is destroyed forever.

I never liked Uther (who has) nor an episode about him but, how I loved when Merlin stood up to Uther and revealed his true self to him. Even in death he was still such an s.o.b!!!! He even went as far as almost killing his own son for Camelot before Merlin showed up; at least he was consistent, always for Camelot. One thing for sure though, I hoped Merlin had gotten outed by Uther just before Arthur blew the horn or at least had Arthur overhear everything and kept it to himself. As many time as Arthur has been hit unconscious before the secret has been revealed, you'd think after 5 seasons these writers would have gotten tired of writing it. Smallville got tired of that with Lex and Clark why not this series.

Comment

Here's the thing that had me scratching my head...

Arthur has been king for 3--count 'em--3 years. He's brought peace and prosperity to the kingdom. The people love him. His knights are loyal and would give their lives for him. He has a wife who adores him and whom he adores. And with all that, he turns to jello because Uther's sour and angry ghost starts ragging on him?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggggggggggggggh!

Are you kidding me?

I was waiting for Arthur to take most of episode to acknowledge the fact that his father was a cruel and tyrannical leader; I was ready to start throwing things when he questioned why Uther would attack Gwen while he stood at the foot of his unconscious wife's bed. But luckily he got with the program before I had a total meltdown.

This was a pretty good Halloween episode though. And Uther seemed more bitter in death than he was when alive. Despite the reasons he gave, I think he was jealous of Arthur's accomplishments and that he went wild with rage over Arthur marrying for love AND beneath his station. His son had managed everything Uther had not and he had done it without alienating everyone around him. Arthur would not have to endure the burden of ruling alone.

Arthur and Merlin's banter was amusing as always. I really laughed when Merlin slapped Arthur on the back of the head with a glove. You just know he paid for that. LOL I am glad that (1) Merlin showed Uther his magic and told him off and (2) that Uther got sucked back into the land of the dead before he could tell his great news. LOL Served the SOB right.

Again, I am annoyed with 3 episodes and no real dialogue between Arthur and Gwen. And why did Merlin have to rescue the queen instead of her husband? All my little gripes aside, I did enjoy this episode. I'd give it a 7.5.

Comment

I thought it was horribly out of character of Uther to try to kill or harm Arthur for the "sake of Camelot". No matter how far he has gone, Uther has always looked at what he thought was best for Arthur,in the end. To suggest that he holds Camelot over his love for Arthur bothered me! Uther wasn't perfect, but he also wasn't totally a man who was pure evil, he still had a heart when it came to his family. (His late wife, Morgana and Arthur)

I just thought it was sad. And pointless to bring him back when the episodes leading up to his death he had seemed to calm his ways.

Where are the Arthur / Gwen scenes? It looks like Arthur and Merlin are the married ones.
        Last edited by LuthorKent90; 10-21-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LuthorKent90

Where are the Arthur / Gwen scenes? It looks like Arthur and Merlin are the married ones.
          ROFLMAO LK, Its pretty transparent that writeres are more concetrating to have bromance between Merlin and Arthur than Arthur/Gwen romance. Arthur/Merlin sleeping next to each other, Arthur reaction for merlin's sad. the first episode totally filled with tons of deep bromance scenes.

Okay back to the episode. I am actually not disappointed but i think it could have been better.
          I agree with what others said that Uther was totally out of his character, as we all know how ruthless he is to the people of camelot, he was a good husband, and father. He enslayed Magic out of camelot because his wife died becuase of magic. He loved morgana deeply and when he learned that she has magic, he lost himself, he wasn't the man he once was. He died protecting Arthur. Now all of sudden, Camelot comes befor his family. I don't think that is the uther we have known. He being angry with Arthur for not following his era but not as angry as to kill him.

And what's with that woman in opening scene, she was saved to die after a little while? I hope she lives and helps Arthur sometime in future episodes. Writers missing the catch... they just created a character so that Arthur gets hold of that horn. so bizzare!!!

Did you all notice, Gwen's tone.. She is indeed speaks like a Queen than maid anymore. I am loving her outfits.

Comment

Originally posted by Munnag
            ROFLMAO LK, Its pretty transparent that writeres are more concetrating to have bromance between Merlin and Arthur than Arthur/Gwen romance. Arthur/Merlin sleeping next to each other, Arthur reaction for merlin's sad. the first episode totally filled with tons of deep bromance scenes.
            Well, they had better get a grip on this. Arthur married Gwen. By his own admission he loves her more than he can express. So, show me, don't tell me MERLIN writers.

I agree with what others said that Uther was totally out of his character,
            Are you kidding me? Did you watch Uther in the 1st 3 seasons? He was a S.O.B.

he was a good husband,
            We don't know that. He had a child out of wedlock, presumably while he was married to Arthur's mother.

He enslayed Magic out of camelot because his wife died becuase of magic.
            He was culpable in his wife's death. He sought out the magic that allowed Arthur to be born.

He loved morgana deeply and when he learned that she has magic, he lost himself, he wasn't the man he once was.
            I thought that was uncharacteristic, but I'll give him a pass. He never found out about Morgana's magic. It was her betrayal and hatred that crushed his spirit.

Now all of sudden, Camelot comes befor his family.
            Totally believable. How many times did he tell Arthur his duty to Camelot came before his personal happiness?
            Last edited by Raistlin; 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Munnag

Okay back to the episode. I am actually not disappointed but i think it could have been better.
              I agree with what others said that Uther was totally out of his character, as we all know how ruthless he is to the people of camelot, he was a good husband, and father. He enslayed Magic out of camelot because his wife died becuase of magic. He loved morgana deeply and when he learned that she has magic, he lost himself, he wasn't the man he once was. He died protecting Arthur. Now all of sudden, Camelot comes befor his family. I don't think that is the uther we have known. He being angry with Arthur for not following his era but not as angry as to kill him.

And what's with that woman in opening scene, she was saved to die after a little while? I hope she lives and helps Arthur sometime in future episodes. Writers missing the catch... they just created a character so that Arthur gets hold of that horn. so bizzare!!!

Did you all notice, Gwen's tone.. She is indeed speaks like a Queen than maid anymore. I am loving her outfits.
              ITA

I have seen seasons 1,2 & 4 and agree that Uther was a sob but he loved Arthur and find it Out of character for him to kill Arthur now.
              I remember in one episode he had Arthur drugged so he could fight the ghost knight and die in Arthur's place.
              And just saw an episode from season 2 where he was bewitched and married a troll. The only thing that would break the spell was for Uther to cry tears of remorse. So Gaius gave a portion to Auther to make him appear died. Uther held his dead son in his arms and cried breaking the spell.

Comment

The episode finally airs in the U.S. tonight!

Comment

2 hours 46 minutes

Comment

I got to see this and was fairly impressed. It was spooky and I felt that Uther was very 'in character' about what Arthur has done (we know he never approved of Arthur's feelings for Gwen, about knights who weren't of noble birth, etc.).

I loved the banter between Merlin and Arthur (the 'horseplay' thing and the spoon! ).

How very 'Orpheus' in the 'don't look back' bit.

I literally LOL'd when they were creeping around the room and they turned and there was Gaius. Their reaction to seeing him was priceless!

Merlin saying he was teaching Arthur poetry? Hee.

Aaaaaaaaand once again Arthur gets bonked on the head. Boy's had more almost as many concussions as Lex Luthor!

I also liked that Merlin finally got to reveal himself to a Pendragon. Not the one we've been hoping for but still...

Another solid episode. Season 5 has been really cooking.

Comment

Loved that teaching poetry thing

pretty good episode. nice seeing Uther agian and even as a ghost hes still a jerk. but wouldnt being a ghost be similar to being magic to him? wouldnt he hate himself for being a ghost?

Comment

Originally posted by superhippie2000
                        but wouldnt being a ghost be similar to being magic to him? wouldnt he hate himself for being a ghost?
                        I thought of that too. Ghosts are 'supernatural' and you'd think he'd be upset that he came back as a supernatural being (or that Arthur was mucking with supernatural forces to talk to him). Either they chose not to show it or death has mellowed Uther out a bit? (not likely!)

Comment

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty
                          I thought of that too. Ghosts are 'supernatural' and you'd think he'd be upset that he came back as a supernatural being (or that Arthur was mucking with supernatural forces to talk to him). Either they chose not to show it or death has mellowed Uther out a bit? (not likely!)
                          guess we just need to take it for what it is. lol

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎