• Show
Clear All

• Fanfic: Arachne's Eyes (1/1)

Title: Arachne’s Eyes
    Type: Gen/Angst
    Rating: PG-13
    Characters: Rumplestiltskin/Gold, Arachne
    Word Count: 380
    Summary: This is the origin of a castle and a crown.
    Spoilers: Skin Deep
    Note: I was in the mood to combine show mythology with Greek mythology.

Gold took inventory, examining Arachne’s Eyes. The description in his manifest read, “Eight garnets set in red gold tiara.” His jeweler’s loupe revealed the spider’s copper-based blood coursing eternally through the metal – revealed the spider’s eight multifaceted eyes seeing eternally what her vanity had wrought…

Rumplestiltskin had wanted an estate – a home – so he bargained for the Dark Castle. “Allow me to spin my webs and breed my children within the quiet shadows of your magic,” said Arachne, “and I will deed these halls I once walked in human form to you.”

The deal struck, the Dark One took up residence. He and the spider – who spanned his widest, tallest mirror – spoke only of patterns. “Shall I weave you a tapestry depicting the gods with the golden thread you’ve spun?,” asked Arachne.

“No, Dearie,” answered Rumplestiltskin. “I wouldn’t want to dredge up unpleasant memories.”

“Shall I drain this intruder’s innards through circular or hexagonal incisions for breaking the locks?,” asked Arachne, hovering over an overwhelmed knight.

“Neither, Dearie,” answered Rumplestiltskin. “We should thank the obliging lug for demonstrating how flimsy the locks are.”

Centuries later, the immortal Dark One gave the immortal spider fresh cohorts of ogres in which to incubate her young. Arachne had other patterns in mind, however. “I would breed my children within the girl,” insisted Arachne. Her hair falls like mine did when I had hair. I would spin it into my webs strand by strand. Arachne bit Belle, sending paralyzing venom through her veins.

The Dark One skewered the spider with his ire. “You were to take these ogres, as their deaths are what the girl bargained for. I will not allow her death through your vanity to void her bargain with me…”

The Dark One who became Gold spoke to the woman who became a spider who became a tiara. “I would’ve placed you on her head – pinned you in the hair you coveted – softer than my woven gold or your spider’s silk. Your punishment would’ve been her reward for True Love, but I sent her away to her doom trying to protect her from a woman even darker and more arrogant than you. Belle’s gone forever, and I can’t even place you on her head in death.”

I've expanded the story to encompass the finale.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I

Gold took inventory, examining Arachne’s Eyes. The description in his manifest read, “Eight garnets set in red gold tiara.” His jeweler’s loupe revealed the spider’s copper-based blood coursing eternally through the metal – revealed the spider’s eight multifaceted eyes seeing eternally what her vanity had wrought…

Rumplestiltskin had wanted an estate – a home – so he bargained for the Dark Castle. “Allow me to spin my webs and breed my children within the quiet shadows of your magic,” said Arachne, “and I will deed these halls I once walked in human form to you.”

The deal struck, the Dark One took up residence. He and the spider – who spanned his widest, tallest mirror – spoke only of patterns. “Shall I weave you a tapestry depicting the gods with the golden thread you’ve spun?,” asked Arachne.

“No, Dearie,” answered Rumplestiltskin. “I wouldn’t want to dredge up unpleasant memories.”

“Shall I drain this intruder’s innards through circular or hexagonal incisions for breaking the locks?,” asked Arachne, hovering over an overwhelmed knight.

“Neither, Dearie,” answered Rumplestiltskin. “We should thank the obliging lug for demonstrating how flimsy the locks are.”

Centuries later, the immortal Dark One gave the immortal spider fresh cohorts of ogres in which to incubate her young. Arachne had other patterns in mind, however. “I would breed my children within the girl,” insisted Arachne. Her hair falls like mine did when I had hair. I would spin it into my webs strand by strand. Arachne bit Belle, sending paralyzing venom through her veins.

The Dark One skewered the spider with his ire. “You were to take these ogres, as their deaths are what the girl bargained for. I will not allow her death through your vanity to void her bargain with me…”

The Dark One who became Gold spoke to the woman who became a spider who became a tiara. “I would’ve placed you on her head – pinned you in the hair you coveted – softer than my woven gold or your spider silk. Your punishment would’ve been her reward for True Love, but I sent her away to her doom trying to protect her from a woman even darker and more arrogant than you. Belle’s gone forever, and I can’t even place you on her head in death.”

II

Belle was not gone forever! Rumplestiltskin pinned Arachne’s Eyes in her hair – softer than woven gold or spider silk – with trembling fingers. Belle felt the strange surge of the spider’s memories transmitted into her mind from transmuted gold and garnets. Belle saw her beloved through Arachne’s Eyes. His eyes glittered like jewels, but the jewel tones of his silk and lace were gone. “Allow me to spin my webs and breed my children within the quiet shadows of your magic,” said Arachne, “and I will deed these halls I once walked in human form to you.”

“Acceptable,” agreed Rumplestiltskin. “You need a place from which you can protect your children; I need a place from which I can protect my son...once I’ve found him, again.” Belle heard the catch in his voice.

“What is ‘protect?,’ asked the spider, confused by a fading human concept. My children will eat each other -- absorb sibling life-energy -- in order to gain power in order to survive. Those who are strongest will then eat or be eaten throughout the Kingdoms. They live; they eat; they rise; they fall; they are eaten; they die. I watch them. I am eternal; I am Mother.”

“To protect,” answered Rumplestiltskin, is to love. I must absorb power to find my love -- my son – and protect him.”

“Where are the lives you must absorb for your power?,” asked Arachne.

“I can absorb no one – love no one – protect no one – until I find my son. Love would leech me of the power I need in order to find and protect my son.”

Belle understood his curse – understood his heart – understood his inhuman eternity and her place within it. Belle understood and wept. Wearing Arachne’s Eyes, she looked upon her love and accepted his crowning irony.
    Last edited by Raissa; 05-17-2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎