Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geppetto: the real villan of the story?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geppetto: the real villan of the story?

It would have been much better off for Pinocchio to have stayed with Geppetto, than to have suffered a life of misery as a orphan with a guilt complex.

Discuss.

No, it would not have been better. Pinocchio would have turned back into a puppet most likely. Either that or he would still be a kid. Plus if Snow had gone over with Emma think how much older she would be then Charming. I like that Pinocchio came over with Emma, hopefully he will start to get Emma to believe.

Geppetto is not evil, he wanted to save his son. He did what any parent who loves there kid would at the very least consider doing if they had been in his situation.
    Last edited by Degobunny; 04-30-2012, 07:14 AM.

Comment

As a parent of one very beloved daughter: I can understand Geppetto...there is nothing I would not do, no line I would refuse to cross, to save my daughter! She's nearly 30 now but that has not changed one bit. when she was 7 I would have done even more to protect her. I can't call Geppetto a villian for loving his child, sorry but that is just the way it is.

Comment

My overwhelming while watching the episode was, how horrible that Geppetto put such enormous pressure on his son. He tells his son that he must go to a new land and care for a baby who is to be the savior of their people. He lays this huge responsibility on the back of a seven year old! And then sends this seven year old out into a world he knows nothing about, to be orphaned.

As that adorable little boy looked into the crib at the orphanage and was trying to calm and help the baby, my heart just ached for him. Of course he ran away! And he goes on to live a lonely life, riddled with guilt.

I just don't agree that Geppetto was being a good father when he made that decision. He was being selfish.

Comment

Originally posted by closetclana
          I just don't agree that Geppetto was being a good father when he made that decision. He was being selfish.
          That's my feeling, too. I get that he was trying to save Pinocchio as any good parent would, but then he also made it so both kids were without parents.

I think the difference to me is that when chaos was happening around Snow, Charming, and Baby!Emma after she was born, Charming said something to the effect of "at least, we're together" (which is basically how Pinocchio felt while the curse was happening). They would have been content to suffer a terrible fate as long as they had each other. The only reason they don't end up together is because they knew Emma had to be saved because she was the only one to save all of them.

To me, that is much more sacrificial than the selfishness of Geppetto. Instead of letting Baby!Emma go to a new place with her mother or father, he was basically like, "Screw Snow White" and that rubbed me the wrong way. Even Jiminy Cricket was like, "What the what, man?".

I guess in Geppetto's mind, he justified it by getting Pinocchio to promise that he would protect the child and that's all fine and well as long as the 7-year-old boy follows through with it, which he doesn't. But, then, that's a lot to put on a kid.

In the end, everything works out because both kids reconnect with their parents even if their parents don't remember them or in Emma's case, doesn't believe she's actually found them. But, I just wish Geppetto hadn't been such a jerk that whole episode. It wasn't even just the "Screw Snow White" moment. He was even cross to Jiminy in blaming him for what happened to his parents. Good Lord. Hold a grudge for like, 50 or 60 years why don't ya, Geppetto? Oh, and he pretty much told Pinocchio it was okay to lie because it was good for him at the time. Yikes.

Geppetto isn't a villain, but he's not the most likeable of characters to me right now.
          Last edited by savingpeoplething; 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I kind of think that no matter what Gepetto sending Pinochio over was part of the prophecy. He didnt know it but if he let Snow and/or Prince Charming cross over then why would Emma need to be the savior? The curse would have happened and Snow and Charming could have beat the curse on their own. There wouldnt have been a need for Emma. So while he disobeyed the Blue Fairy the story was written and everything that happened was ment to happen. Its kind of like LOST where everything thats ment to happen is going to happen. Doesnt matter what you do your mistakes or doing things on purpose are still going to make the outcome the same. Plus the wardrobe was a little tiny for charming and snow to fit and with snow pregnant she probably couldnt fit in there herself let alone with another adult. Also wouldnt a pregnant lady count as 2 people? so charming couldnt go if he wanted to.

Anyway I dont think gepetto ment any harm i just think he would sacrifice everything to save his kid even if that ment for his world to be doomed. sometimes emotions overcome logic.

Comment

Originally posted by closetclana
              Geppetto did the right thing. If Snow or Charming had crossed over, when they returned to Storybrooke one of them would excessively older then the other. The Queen would have succeeded in destroying there happy ending. Not only that but Pinocchio would have turned back to a lifeless puppet if he had stayed and been cursed. Geppetto was doing the right thing for everyone involved.

Geppetto was putting a lot of responsibility on the boy, yes but there was no other way around it, not if Pinocchio was to survive.

Also what gives Snow or Charming anymore right then Pinocchio to get in the wardrobe? Snow and Charming are not the savior, Emma is. Not only that but given what was going on in terms of the fighting do you think either would actually have made it in time to get to the wardrobe?

Comment

Geppetto saved them all!!!! If Snow and Charming went to the real world and had Emma, would they return in Emma's 28th year????? I think not!!!!

Comment

He isn't a villain (not yet anyway) but he is/was unbelievably selfish. And I have to say, stupid. Not only was he willing to put his entire universe in danger but he pretty much condemned his son to a lifetime of guilt and pain. He sent the kid into an unknown world, alone and helpless. I understand he was desperate as any parent would be and people do make mistakes in desperation. And Geppetto made a pretty big one. Maybe he will suffer for it later on (while everyone else gets back their happy ending when the curse is undone, maybe Geppetto would be stuck with a different curse for his selfishness).

Originally posted by Degobunny
                  No, it would not have been better. Pinocchio would have turned back into a puppet most likely.
                  And that would have been corrected when the curse is defeated.

Either that or he would still be a kid.
                  Like the other kids in Storybrooke. Better than being alone, orphaned and lost out there.

Plus if Snow had gone over with Emma think how much older she would be then Charming.
                  LOL so what? The age would probably have been corrected once the curse is broken. Plus given David's lack of a spine, she would have been better off anyway.

Originally posted by superhippie2000
                  I kind of think that no matter what Gepetto sending Pinochio over was part of the prophecy. He didnt know it but if he let Snow and/or Prince Charming cross over then why would Emma need to be the savior? The curse would have happened and Snow and Charming could have beat the curse on their own.
                  Because Rumple designed the curse that way. And he's you know....crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Exedore
                    LOL so what? The age would probably have been corrected once the curse is broken. Plus given David's lack of a spine, she would have been better off anyway.
                    You do not know that. There is nothing that has been mentioned in the curse about age reversal. If what you say is true when the curse breaks some people are going to get really old or really young fast!

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

He isn't a villain (not yet anyway) but he is/was unbelievably selfish. And I have to say, stupid. Not only was he willing to put his entire universe in danger but he pretty much condemned his son to a lifetime of guilt and pain. He sent the kid into an unknown world, alone and helpless. I understand he was desperate as any parent would be and people do make mistakes in desperation. And Geppetto made a pretty big one. Maybe he will suffer for it later on (while everyone else gets back their happy ending when the curse is undone, maybe Geppetto would be stuck with a different curse for his selfishness).
                    Geppetto was not selfish. Selfish would be sending himself and Pinocchio through the wardrobe and leaving everyone else to be cursed.
                    Last edited by Degobunny; 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You do not know that. There is nothing that has been mentioned in the curse about age reversal. If what you say is true when the curse breaks some people are going to get really old or really young fast!

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Geppetto was not selfish. Selfish would be sending himself and Pinocchio through the wardrobe and leaving everyone else to be cursed.

agreed!

Comment

I have wondered about that. Will August and Emma revert back to a seven year old and an infant when the curse is broken?

Comment

But there is nothing to indicate it won't happen either. Besides, once the curse is defeated they would be back in Story Land with magic. Magic that could have been used to de-age Snow. That could have led to the next storyline: the quest for the fountain of youth. Or for a new upgraded version of Charming.

No I'd say he was being selfish. He was putting his entire world in danger for his son. That's selfish. It's understandable (because he's a desperate parent, a guy who lost his own parents at a young age and was probably alone for most of his life so he just went nuts about his only child) but selfish nonetheless. What you're describing would have been selfish and evil. He isn't evil. You can be selfish without being evil.

Comment

No I'd say he was being selfish. He was putting his entire world in danger for his son. That's selfish. It's understandable (because he's a desperate parent, a guy who lost his own parents at a young age and was probably alone for most of his life so he just went nuts about his only child) but selfish nonetheless. What you're describing would have been selfish and evil. He isn't evil. You can be selfish without being evil.
                            I agree with Degobunny that if he was selfish, he would have gone into the wardrobe with Pinocchio. I believe what he did was more out of desperation than being selfish. He saw his parents be turned into puppets and no magic could reverse it. He may have feared the same for his son. That the curse would turn him back into a puppet and there is no guarantee that once the curse was broken, he would be turned back to a boy. He saw first hand that magic can be a one way street for some. That was too high of a risk for him to take. First his parents; now possibly losing his son to the same fate - what he did was desperation.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyGal
                              I agree with Degobunny that if he was selfish, he would have gone into the wardrobe with Pinocchio. I believe what he did was more out of desperation than being selfish. He saw his parents be turned into puppets and no magic could reverse it. He may have feared the same for his son. That the curse would turn him back into a puppet and there is no guarantee that once the curse was broken, he would be turned back to a boy. He saw first hand that magic can be a one way street for some. That was too high of a risk for him to take. First his parents; now possibly losing his son to the same fate - what he did was desperation.
                              Just because he had really good motivations (or even feelings of desperation) doesn't mean what he did was right and he wasn't being selfish. That is a great thing about this show is that every character has good motivations. The Queen was totally screwed up by a controlling mother, Prince Charming's father wanted to keep his kingdom stabilized, etc, etc. I mean, Rumples whole reason for creating this curse was to find his son. That is a noble and good motivation, but the choices he made in achieving his desires were selfish and hurt a lot of other people along the way. Geppetto is the same way. While we can all see why he did what he did, it didn't make doing it the morally right choice. If our love for our children gave us moral high ground, then every parent could be shoving other kids off the playground so their kid gets a turn.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎