Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Clark put Lois in danger?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

BoyScout...There was a big debate about it at K-Site in the tread I posted and it was seen both ways by viewers by what was seen on-screen so I was glad it was straightened out, but of course, you are entitled to your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Freawaru
      And neither some knife and tape.
      He's not MacGyver, y'know.

Comment

But what would he have done if there hadn't been some camourflage? I suspect it must have been experiences like these that made him finally realize he needed an alter ego that noone would recognize even when seen at close distance.
        I think if it came down between saving a life or protecting his secret, Clark would save a life and reveal himself.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
          He's not MacGyver, y'know.
          Of course not. He always had problems with the tractor.

Too bad MacGyver is no DC charcter. I always considered him having superpowers.

----- Added 20 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by SnowBird
          I think if it came down between saving a life or protecting his secret, Clark would save a life and reveal himself.
          Looks to me like that, too. Death is more final than torture and prison. Most of the time, anyway.
          Last edited by Freawaru; 04-26-2012, 11:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
            I always thought it was Clark that saved Lois by the way he sped away after Lois fell.
            Yes he did sped away, not after her. Later we see him on the street looking baffled as what had happened to Lois. It's odd there's not a single frame of Clark holding Lois or any indication he's in the midst of the fog when Lois falls. Plus when Lois lands it's a smooth landing and there's this faint wind sound. Also no blur whooshes to be heard.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
              Yes he did sped away, not after her. Later we see him on the street looking baffled as what had happened to Lois. It's odd there's not a single frame of Clark holding Lois or any indication he's in the midst of the fog when Lois falls. Plus when Lois lands it's a smooth landing and there's this faint wind sound. Also no blur whooshes to be heard.
              Of course Clark is going to look confused to fool Lois and stop her from suspecting he saved her. Then there was the phone call that Chloe made from the Blur and Lois talked to what she thought was the Blur. Clark was wondering what was going on with that with some confusion...That was the directors choice not to show Clark. We didn't see anything but fog with no fog arms gently lowering Lois either. Last time I knew, fog doesn't hold a person that is 100 plus pounds. With Clark's strength, I have no doubt he could lower her down gently so she wouldn't be hurt. Just because he is out of the picture doesn't mean he didn't save her since we only saw head and shoulders of Lois and he could easily not be seen and still be the one to save her. Lois had her eyes closed and even she thought it was Clark, a man, that had handled her to the ground by feeling his touch on her body. The wind sound was Clark speeding away and maybe it sounded different being muffled by the fog. Anyway, it's a done deal for me and Clark saved the day like usual.

Comment

The show has never shied away from showing Clark perform the actual save. There was no indication of Clark trying to disguise any save he might have pulled off (so unlike the show). He just rans through the fog. We hear a distinct wind sound (Zan can make tornados and hurricanes in some versions) as Lois is landing gently to the ground. And the sound most definitely ain't from Clark. Lois still thought it was Clark though.

Given how many people were puzzled by this scene (devoting a whole thread for it) the scene can go either way.

Comment

Well, now that we have solved this mystery, we face an even greater challenge of entangling another riddle: how did Lois find her shoe so fast?

Comment

Well, now that we have solved this mystery, we face an even greater challenge of entangling another riddle: how did Lois find her shoe so fast?
                    I have noticed when it comes to shoes women turn into different creatures. So don't be surprised that she found it so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                      I have noticed when it comes to shoes women turn into different creatures. So don't be surprised that she found it so quickly.
                      Female superpower.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                        Female superpower.
                        Finding a pair of shoes is their superpower. Finding the right pair is their Achilles heel.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                          Finding a pair of shoes is their superpower. Finding the right pair is their Achilles heel.
                          So true.

Comment

The idea that he didn't make the save as never any sense whatsoever.

First it would mean that Clark would let someone (let alone the woman he had feelings for) die to protect his secret in general. But more specifically he would let someone die to protect his secret in an episode where he was shown willing to reveal his secret to the world earlier on in the same day.

That Clark supersped of the roof right after Lois fell all so he could just stand around on the street in some corner out of sight for a while. Why not just walk down the stairs then or just stay on the roof? If he wasn't going to do the save himself or immediately check on her.

That Clark would trust two reckless kids he barely knows to handle the situation when a life is in danger? And if he did, he'd stand around idly somewhere while all this goes on instead of sticking around as back up in case something went wrong or making sure to check immediately how it played out.

Either it played out like this, which makes zero sense. Or, like the director himself said and episode did enough to show us, Clark made the save. Even if anyone choses to buy into all I mentioned above, they did do enough in this episode to show that he made the save even without showing the save in order for the audience to get what happenned. And they pulled that off too. I've read posts and reviews in many places for this episode and this site seems to be one of the only places where there was an actual debate about it. Most online fans (from various sites) got what happened (before Glen posted here) and a lot of fans didn't even know this was up for debate in the first place. So they did do a convincing enough job to get the point across for most viewers.

Instead of giving his secret away immediately, he tried to get to her on his own. Having it play out like that was also important and needed for a later scene between Lois and her psychiatrist. They made a point of showing all the people on the ground watching and then the fog appearing and blocking their view. That was the point of the fog. I'm not sure why Clark or even the audience would think Clark took it to mean that they were going to use the fog to ease her down. Rather it was going to do what it was shown doing in the actual scene, blocking everyones view of what was going on on the roof so Clark could save her without exposing his secret to the world. But Lois falls, and we know that Clark supersped of the roof right away. The next we see him he's walking up to Lois a lot more relaxed then he was on the roof. Which naturally means he already knew that she was safe. (Unless not knowing whether she's dead or alive relaxes him.) And it makes prefect sense that he'd leave her there after he saved her and walk away pretending to only have shown up when he walked up to her. Since he wasn't ready for her to know his secret yet.
                            Last edited by SVGirl_203; 05-06-2012, 10:46 PM.

Comment

If Clark was willing to risk his secret identity in front of Lois and all those people he would have caught Lois and landed safely the moment he stepped on that ledge. Even when the fog rolled (which Clark noticed) and Clark said everything was going to be fine he let her fall and sped to the exact opposite direction instead of jumping in after her. He knew Zan would save Lois. I've already stated the factors that favor this explanation. The sound effect, Zan's powers and the fact the show always showed Clark pulling off the save.

It doesn't matter whether this was a debate on one site, several or none. When I first saw the scene (I thought) it was clear to me that Zan had saved Lois (made Clark look bad though). When I got to the site I saw it wasn't clear to a whole lot of people for different reasons.

Comment

Your POV on this scene is confusing, btw. You're saying you thought Clark came out bad because he was going let Lois die to protect his secret. But you are also saying Clark knew Zan was going to save her after seeing the fog. Either he thought she would die and was ready to let it happen (which makes him look bad) or he was convinced Zan was going to save her after seeing the fog (which means he wasn't actually going to just let her die). Which one is it? Either he going to let her die or knew she be saved. It can't be both.

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                                If Clark was willing to risk his secret identity in front of Lois and all those people he would have caught Lois and landed safely the moment he stepped on that ledge.
                                Huh? So Clark was willing to let the woman he has feelings die to protect his secret from the world. When only earlier he was ready reveal it anyway. And that makes complete sense to you. How exactly do you explain that? How is this the more likely option? Rather then that he was trying to get to her on his own by climbing out on the ledge if he could save her that way before resorting to revealing his secret to the world. Which I thought was smart. Especially since it's not like he was gambling with her life since he had superspeed and save her if anything happened at anytime.

And I pointed before having the scene with Clark trying to reach her by climbling out on the ledge was also necessary. Because of the Lois scene later on talking about Clark and The Blur.

Lois: But it would be so much easier if they were the same person.When I heard The Blur's voice again, something stirred inside of me. But my thoughts... I keep going back to Clark. That scared guy who stepped down onto that ledge to save me.

Also because while it was happening it gave Lois a chance to say what she did as she was hanging there. Which was more talk (along Lois' speech to the crowd, Chloe advice, his talk with the WT about the world watching) about how important keeping his identity from the world a secret was, which was running theme throughout the episode. And what was the fog was about. Them helping him save himself by making it so he could save the day without the world knowing who he was.

Even when the fog rolled (which Clark noticed) and Clark said everything was going to be fine he let her fall and sped to the exact opposite direction instead of jumping in after her.
                                What does this prove? I'm confused where you're going with this? He didn't let her fall. She fell on her own right after. He sped away down to street to catch her. Since when is jumping down the building the only way to save her? More importantly if he wasn't doing that, where you do think he sped to exactly? And why?

He knew Zan would save Lois.
                                How did he know this? All he saw was the fog now blocking everyone's view. Your explanation is that he saw fog and jumped to the conclusion that it must be there to ease Lois down slowly and save her life? That's more likely to you then he saw the fog and assumed they were helping by blocking everyone's view so he could save her and protect his secret at the same time. Okay then.

I've already stated the factors that favor this explanation. The sound effect, Zan's powers and the fact the show always showed Clark pulling off the save.
                                How does a sound effect convince Clark that they can save her? How does Clark know Zan's powers could save Lois? Or that was Zan's intention in the first place? Rather then Zan showing to helping him by blocking everyone's view so he could save the day? There's a reason they made a point of showing all the people and cameras and them showing out of view by the fog when it showed up.

It doesn't matter whether this was a debate on one site, several or none. When I first saw the scene (I thought) it was clear to me that Zan had saved Lois (made Clark look bad though). When I got to the site I saw it wasn't clear to a whole lot of people for different reasons.
                                The reason I mentioned people getting it is because of a comment above that mentioned that the director telling he saved her means nothing if we didn't see it on screen. Which isn't true because the majority of viewers and all reviewers I read did get that Clark saved her, except for a handful of posters on this site. Which points more to them missing what was there then an actual problem with the show. And the reasons for it were just that we didn't see it. And people assummed fog showing up meant she would eased down in it. That's all there was to it IIRC.

Look I've already pointed why the version you mentioned made no sense based on what we saw onscreen. As well as how having it play your way asks you to buy some pretty ridiculous things altogether and contradicts what happens in this very episode earlier. Why it playing out this way was neceesarry as well. And how my version of it tied into a theme of the episode. And pointed out how all the things you mentioned as proof makes no sense based on show canon. So I think I provided enough reasons and facts to back up what I and the majority viewers saw onscreen and what the director was going for. So if you can provide any answers to the questions I asked, then I can maybe see why it was confusing for the few on this site who didn't get it. Though I'm not really counting on getting any answers. Because all I'm seeing is they didn't show the scene and Clark seeing the fog meant he just assumed it was Zan intention to save Lois by easing her down safely. Which equals to the director chosing to film it differently (which as been confirmed) and second is based on your (and a few others) assumption on what Clark thought and what Zan's intention was that's not backed up by canon.
                                Last edited by SVGirl_203; 05-07-2012, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎