Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beauty in the Breakdown IX, 'Fessing Up (PG-13)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beauty in the Breakdown IX, 'Fessing Up (PG-13)

Ninth story in the Beauty in the Breakdown series, most of which are in the Adult Fanfiction Thread. Series starts here, and there are links to the ensuing stories at the end of each one.

Enjoy! Awesome banner by alxnhnt22 on LiveJournal, used with thanks.

Title: Beauty in the Breakdown IX – ‘Fessing Up
    Author: BabyDee
    Pairing: Chlollie
    Rating: PG-13
    Warnings: A Re-telling of Chlollie post-Warrior
    Timeline: Season 9
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to the CW & DC comics.
    Series Summary: With Oliver by her side, Chloe learns to let go, find peace, and fall in love.
    Story Summary: Chlollie upped and got married. Lois is not amused.

This story is for lilmoochie aka Stacey, one of the first Chlolliers I met in fandom and certainly one of the nicest. Hope you had a wonderful birthday, babes, and many happy returns! *hugs*

‘Fessing Up

I needed the shelter of someone's arms…there you were
    I needed someone to understand my ups and downs…there you were
    With sweet love and devotion
    Deeply touching my emotions

I want to stop and thank you baby…
    …How sweet it is to be loved by you

- James Taylor, How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)

Chapter 1

Her husband was singing again. Loudly.

“I close my eyes at night…and wonder, ‘what would I be without you in my life?’…”

Chloe groaned. “Oliver, not again...”

He flashed her a bright smile and politely ignored her request, raising his voice further as he drove around the corner into Smallville’s Main Street and headed straight down the road towards the coffee shop.

“Everything was just a bore,” he crooned, “…and all the things I did, seems I'd done'em before…”

Chloe tilted her head and pondered. “Hmm…substitute the word things with wimmins, and you just might be onto something.”

The crooning – and the car – screeched to a sudden halt. “Oh, nice,” he complained, looking suitably hurt. “Way to wreck the groove, Mrs Queen!”

Chloe giggled and stroked his hair tenderly. “You know I’m only kidding, my love. And it did have the desired effect.” She ducked as he playfully swatted at her, and then frowned. “What’s with the cheesy love songs anyway?”

“Can’t I sing a cheesy love song to my lovely wife?” he challenged with a grin as he got out of the car, walked around to her side and opened her door with exaggerated flourish for her to step out. “It’s a married man’s prerogative to serenade his lady love with fine music.”

Chloe snorted. “Fine music, yes. Cheesy ballads…” she made a wry face. “Not so much.”

He looked crushed. “Don’t you like that song?”

“It’s cheesy!”

“Meh. Indulge me.” He cleared his throat and continued as he ushered her into the thankfully non-functional shop floor of the Talon. At least she was spared the embarrassment of curious glances.

“But you brighten up for me all of my days,” he sang, “…with a love so sweet in so many ways…”

“Oh, here we go again,” Chloe muttered.

“I just want to stop…and thank you baby, yeah, I want to stop…and thank you babyyyy…” he paused, and pouted, folding his arms like a petulant child. “Come on, Chloe, you gotta sing the last line with me. Please?”

She moaned. “Do we have to sing it right here and now?” she pleaded.

He gave an emphatic nod. “Yep.”

“But Lois will probably hear us.”

“I’m counting on it.”

“Why?”

He flashed her a cheeky grin as they ascended the stairs. “Because I know it’ll piss her off, more than she is already.”

Chloe raised a curious brow. Lois was bound to be furious with them for their two-week radio silence. She and Oliver had sent the same wedding picture text message around to the entire Justice League team, leaving instructions for Victor Stone to hold the forte at Watchtower in his absence and for Dr Hamilton to authorise any and all necessary League expenditures while they enjoyed a fortnight-long honeymoon with no interruptions whatsoever.

The result of that was little stunt was over two-hundred missed calls and messages by the time they finally switched their cells back on – seventy-five per-cent of which came from Lois alone.

So Oliver deliberately rattling her cage didn’t sound like a sound plan, in her opinion.

“And that’s a good thing, how?” she asked him, and he sighed.

“Just…humor me, and sing with me,” he pleaded. “Just one little line. Come on, Chloe…please…?” he stuck his lower lip out, and made his chin wobble.

That last one was her undoing; she could never resist that chin. With a roll of her eyes and a reluctant smile, she gave in. “Fine.”

Oliver’s grin spread widely across his face, and he lifted his voice with hers – though significantly louder – to sing the final, iconic line of the song. “…‘How sweet it is to be loved by you!’ There, see that wasn’t so bad, was it?”

“Depends on who’s listening,” came an icy reply from beyond the Talon apartment door. Chloe made a worrisome face at her cousin’s voice, but Oliver simply cocked his head at the closed door and grinned.

“Hello, Lois,” he said with exaggerated sweetness. “May we come in?”

He flashed Chloe a leery wink which almost had her sputtering with laughter. She had to cover her mouth with her hand and smothered the giggle that had managed to escape.

“Door’s open,” Lois said flatly from within.

“Let me handle this, okay?” Chloe whispered. “Please. I don’t want you to antagonise her more than she already seems to be.”

Oliver shrugged and nodded. “If that’s what you want. I’ll be right behind you if you need me.”

He drew Chloe to his side and opened the door, and together they walked into the Talon apartment. Lois stood in the centre of the room scowling darkly, arms folded and one foot tapping impatiently on the tiled floor. Clark was across the room, leaning against the kitchenette counter with a nondescript expression on his face. It was as if he suspected two elephants were about to do battle, and he didn’t want to risk getting trampled when it happened.

“Hey Lois,” Chloe greeted. “I, um…I got your message.”

Lois’s eyes narrowed into tiny slits and the tapping foot stopped. “Which one?” she asked in clipped tones.

Oops. “All one-hundred and fifty-two of them,” she said sheepishly. “And I would have replied sooner, but in my defence, we were on our honeymoon, and---”

Honeymoon?” she bellowed with rage. “You got married again, just like that? Chloe Ann Sullivan, what the hell were you thinking?”

She couldn’t resist. “Sullivan-Queen, actually.”

She heard Oliver chuckle quietly behind her, and his arms tightened around her waist with a gentle squeeze, silently offering support.

Lois was not amused. “So,” she said, tapping her foot sternly. “You fly off to Florida on the spur of the moment for a quick service to…y’know, get your itch scratched…and come back married?”

Chloe giggled and cast a sheepish glance at her husband. “It’s never quick. Nor to our credit has it ever itched.”

Oliver gave up all pretence of trying to hide his amusement and guffawed out loud. Clark promptly turned red as a beetroot, and Lois predictably exploded.

“Don’t you dare laugh about this, either of you!” she seethed, enraged by his flippancy. “You think this is funny?”

“Of course not,” Chloe said indignantly. “We both take our marriage very seriously, thank you very much.”

Lois’s eyes narrowed into tiny little slits. “B*tch, don’t make me hurt you!”

“Hey, you can’t talk to her like that!” Oliver exclaimed, coming to stand in front of her.

Lois pointed a shaky finger in his face. “And you stay out of it, you cradle-robber. This is between me and my cousin!” she shot back, trying to shove him out of the way, but he didn’t budge.

“Don’t you mean, you and my wife?” he challenged smartly.

“Don’t get smart with me, Oliver Queen, I’m so mad at you right now. How could you take advantage of my cousin like that?” Lois cried.

“Are you suggesting I coerced her into marrying me?” Oliver said, his voice rising dangerously.

Chloe opened her mouth several times and tried to get a word in edgeways, but there never seemed to be an opening. After several jabs and insults were traded back and forth between her husband and her cousin, she shrugged and folded her arms and watched the unfolding spat with mild disinterest.

Clark, ever the peacemaker, finally stepped forward and added his voice to the conversation for the first time since she and Oliver had walked in.

“Calm down, Oliver,” he said gently, resting a hand on Ollie’s shoulder. “And Lois, he’s right. You shouldn’t talk to her like that.”

Lois turned and stared at Clark as if he’d gone nuts. “How can you be on his side?” she demanded. “She’s my baby cousin, and he---”

“She’s not,” Clark said calmly. “Chloe may be younger than you, but she’s hardly a baby. She’s a grown woman who makes her own decisions, and this latest one has made her very happy. I mean, look at her; look at both of them. Did you ever see either of them smile like that before they found each other?”

Oliver tightened his arms around her as Lois glared at them from one to the other, but her gaze softened as she allowed herself to really see them as Clark had directed. Eventually she lowered her gaze and folded her arms, trailing her foot idly along the floor.

“Was there cake?” she finally mumbled, and Chloe heaved a sigh of relief and smiled.

“No,” she replied quietly. “Lots of celebratory champagne and trays of finger food, but surprisingly no cake.”

“Well, there hasn’t been a wedding until we’ve had cake,” she declared. “I’ll put the oven on, and we can make one and celebrate this thing properly – with your family present.” She strode past them towards the cupboard, glaring pointedly at Oliver all the way, and pulled out a large cookbook which she started thumbing through.

“Well, we did briefly – very briefly – think of sending you an invite,” Oliver said with a mocking smirk.

“Don’t push it, Queen,” Lois replied with a threatening scowl. “I’m still gonna have words with you. Chloe – what kind of cake do you want?”

“Lois, there’s no need to go to such---”

Cradle-robber?” Oliver exclaimed, looking scandalised as it finally registered in his brain.

“You’re almost a decade older than she is, you pervert!” Lois accused. “Like ‘em young, do ya?”

“What the---!” Oliver growled, clenched his fists and lunged for her before Clark jumped between them and held him back.

Chloe sighed and shook her head. This was precisely why she’d wanted to handle things, because both Oliver and Lois were quick-tempered. From the look of things, the bickering was far from over.

“Whoa, steady, Oliver!” Clark exclaimed.

“She called me a pervert!”

“I’m sure she didn’t mean it---”

“Yes, I did!” Lois piped up.

“Lois, that’s enough,” Clark said sternly. “Oliver, let’s you and me go for a walk, pick up a few drinks…”

Chloe nodded and rested a hand on his arm. “Clark’s right, honey; you two go out for a while.”

“But you---”

“I’ll be fine,” she reassured him. “Go on.”

He frowned silently for a moment before lowering his head to hers to give her a quick kiss. “We’ll be back soon, okay?” he whispered, and she nodded.

Oliver turned and pointed at Lois with a hard stare. “This isn’t over, you.”

“Oh blow it out the other end, Queen,” she retorted, and Oliver lunged again. Clark restrained him and steered him the other way.

“Drinks, remember?” he said. “Let’s go. Come on.”

“Nah, leave him be, Clark!” Lois yelled from the other end of the room, brandishing a rolling pin in one hand and an egg whisk in the other. “I can take him!”

“Lois, shut up!” Clark grated. “Oliver, we’re outta here.”

“But didn’t you hear what she said?” he said, dragging his heels as Clark dragged him away.

Clark sighed. “Let it go, Ollie…”

“She made it sound like I hunted Chloe down when she was like ten years old---!” Oliver complained as Clark ushered him out the door.

“Yeah, and you were twice her age, like twenty!” Lois yelled before the door slammed shut.

Chloe kept a level-headed silence, listening to the descent down the Talon steps. As soon as she heard Oliver and Clark drive off, she turned and walked slowly towards her cousin with folded arms.

“You’re going to apologise to Oliver for that,” she said softly.

Lois tipped sugar into a bowl and shrugged one listless shoulder. “Well he started it,” she mumbled petulantly.

“I know he did, and he’s going to apologise for that when he comes back,” Chloe replied. “But your remark was cruel and uncalled for, and you will say you’re sorry for making it.”

Lois didn’t reply; at least, not immediately. Instead she vigorously whisked the butter and sugar together before cracking two eggs into the bowl which she blended into the mixture.

“You never said what kind of cake you wanted,” Lois finally replied quietly, glancing up at her. The apology, whilst not yet verbally expressed, was clear in her cousin’s eyes.

They would talk later, no doubt. Right now, they had a cake to bake.

Chloe walked over to the cupboard and pulled out a pack of flour and a sieve, then walked over to Lois’s side.

“Chocolate sponge,” she replied with a smile. “Triple layer.”

Lois’s eyes lit up. “With chocolate frosting?”

Chloe grinned. “And filling.”

To be continued…
    Last edited by BabyDee; 04-17-2012, 01:22 PM.

Beauty in the Breakdown 9: 'Fessing Up, Chapter 2

Another Chlollie chapter in the House, my loves! In which the girls in particular have a lot of things to discuss…and a chocolate cake to make. ;-)

Enjoy! Awesome banner by alxnhnt22. Thanks again, Alex! *hugs*

Series Summary: With Oliver by her side, Chloe learns to let go, find peace, and fall in love.
    Story Summary: Chloe upped and got married. Lois is not amused.

Chapter 2

The girls worked in companionable silence for several minutes; mixing, stirring and folding the cake mixture into the requisite consistency.

Chloe smiled to herself. Ever since their first disastrous attempt at baking years ago, which resulted in a sorely distended garish blue rum cake for Clark’s 19th birthday (which was more rum than it was cake), the cousins had taken it upon themselves to try and perfect their culinary skills together at least once every quarter. Baking in particular seemed to have a soothing effect on them, and was therefore the culinary experiment of choice.

Chloe reached for the vanilla essence, and her rings caught the sunlight streaming through the window and glinted briefly. Her cousin glanced at the glittering jewellery with a curious look, but managed to hold off for another five minutes before said curiosity got the better of her.

“Let’s see the bling then,” she finally said. Chloe smiled and held out her hand for her cousin to inspect.

“Wow,” she whispered with wide eyes as she examined the sparkling stones and bands. “What is it, white gold?”

“Platinum,” Chloe replied. “And diamonds, although the eternity ring has an emerald centrepiece.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “Of course there had to be an emerald in there somewhere,” she scoffed loudly. “It is Oliver you married, after all.”

Chloe laughed. “Indeed.”

“They’re beautiful, Chlo,” she said with a soft smile. “Congratulations.”

She blushed. “Thank you.”

“So, tell me – how and when did he pop the question?” Lois asked as she as she turned on the oven to pre-heat and started greasing the cake tin. “Was it before you went to Miami? Had you been mulling it over for a week or two, or…?”

Chloe shook her head and took the dirty utensils to the sink. “No…he actually, um…proposed the night before the wedding.”

Lois gasped. “Are you serious?” she exclaimed. “How did he get the rings so fast?”

“He’d picked them out earlier, and was planning to ask me to marry him when I got back to Metropolis,” she replied as she did the washing up. “But when I showed up in Miami and we said we loved each other…well, I guess we didn’t really see any point in waiting.”

“And I thought I was the impulsive one,” Lois muttered as she bent to check the temperature of the oven. Satisfied with the level of heat, she gave the cake mixture one last quick whisk, then motioned for Chloe to bring the greased pan over.

“How was the wedding?” she asked as it was placed before her. “Did you do it on the beach?”

Chloe gave an impish grin. “We did it everywhere.”

Lois snorted in a most unladylike fashion. “Not that, you horny tart - the ceremony!” she wheezed, almost doubled over with laughter.

“Oh, that,” Chloe giggled, and held the bowl still as Lois spooned the cake mixture into it and flattened the top with a spatula. “Yeah, we used a private section of the beach and kept everything nice and simple. Only three witnesses – well, five if you count the Donohues.”

Lois frowned. “The who? Never mind, I’ll get those details later.” She picked up the now-full cake tin and carefully slotted it into the middle tray of the oven, then closed the door shut.

“Right,” she said as she straightened and pulled off her oven mitts. “That’ll sit pretty for the next ninety minutes or so. And so should you, young lady. Park it.” She pointed to the couch, and they both walked over and sat down.

“Let the Third Degree begin, huh?” Chloe mused with a smile as she got comfortable.

“You betcha,” was the smart reply. “So, what did you guys wear for the wedding?”

“Exactly what you saw in the picture.”

Lois stared in surprise. “No way!” she breathed. “A beach dress, and…shorts?”

She shrugged. “No point wearing a five-thousand dollar gown for a beach wedding, especially if your husband’s gonna take you for a quick dip in the surf immediately afterward.”

“Good point,” she nodded grudgingly.

Chloe’s eyes glowed. “It was perfect, Lo. You should have been there.”

“Yes, I should have!”

Her face fell. “I’m sorry,” she whispered.

Lois immediately smiled and ruffled her blonde tresses. “Forgiven. On a more serious note…” she took a leaned over and took Chloe’s hand in hers, and fixed her with a serious stare. “Are you sure this is what you want?”

Chloe’s eyes widened in surprise. “Absolutely,” she whispered. “How can you even ask me that, Lo? You’ve seen me and Oliver together; you know we love each other!”

“A difficult question, I know,” she admitted. “One I’d have preferred to ask before the wedding if I’d been given the chance, y’know?”

Chloe made a wry face. “Guess I deserved that.”

“I didn’t mean to be malicious,” Lois reassured her. “But yes, I had to ask.”

Chloe blushed and nodded. “And my answer is the same. Yes, Lois; this is what I want, one-hundred percent.” Then she frowned slightly. “I thought you liked Oliver…”

“Oh, I do, and I approve of him wholeheartedly,” she replied. “I said it then and I’ll say it again; he’s good for you, and it shows. Heck, you’re good for each other.”

“So, what’s the problem?” Chloe asked, slightly puzzled.

“The problem, young lady, is that the last time you got married I had concerns with your decision – huge concerns,” she said seriously. “But because you seemed so determined to be happy with Jimmy, I didn’t voice them.” Her voice dropped. “And then everything went straight to hell in a handbasket.”

Chloe sighed. “I understand your trepidation given the history, Lois,” she replied. “But this is completely different. Oliver is not Jimmy.”

“And neither is he Clark,” Lois whispered softly, so softly that Chloe almost missed it.

“Clark?” she said, blinking in confusion. “I don’t understand. What’s he got to do with---? Oh. Oh…” she said as comprehension dawned. “Lois…do you think I still have feelings for him?”

Lois exhaled with a deep sigh and nodded. “I guess that’s about it.”

“Well, let me reassure you that I don’t,” Chloe replied, her voice resolute. “I love Oliver. I would never have married him if I still had feelings for Clark.”

“But you did when you married Jimmy,” Lois said softly. “Didn’t you?”

Chloe slowly got to her feet and crossed over to the window. Truth be told, she’d expected to have had this conversation with Lois long before now. So much had been left unsaid between them over the years.

But now was as good a time as any to air any and all misconstrued lingering thoughts, she mused. Of course, there was a lot she wasn’t at liberty to divulge without risking Clark’s double identity, but she would say what she could without putting his secret in the frame.

“I’m not denying it,” she finally replied. “Yes, I was in love with Clark when I married Jimmy. But the circumstances were completely different.”

Her cousin frowned. “In what way?” she asked, standing up. “Clark said something like that a while ago…what did he mean?”

“I was…going through some stuff back then, stuff that you don’t know about,” she said vaguely. “Things that affected my reasoning and…decision-making faculties.”

Lois’s frown deepened. “What kind of things?”

Chloe closed her eyes and sighed deeply. How to explain it? Well, an alien supercomputer named Brainiac completely took me over, stripped me of my memories and tried to take over the world, but not before loading me up with DNA-specific binary code designed to lure an immortal alien serial killer into my arms.

“Mental illness,” she finally replied quietly. “Coupled with some memory loss.”

To be continued…

Comment

Beauty in the Breakdown 9: 'Fessing Up, Chapter 3

Rating: PG-13 (one use of colourful language)

Chapter 3

“What she said to me was horrible,” Oliver muttered under his breath as he dumped a case of beer in the bottom of his shopping basket. “Utterly despicable.”

“She overreacted, I agree, but you can’t deny you were rubbing her face in the fact that her cousin got married without her,” Clark pointed out as he added a few bottles of wine, Dorritos and dipping sauce to their rapidly filling basket.

“Because it’s got nothing to do with her!” Oliver shot back. “When is she going to realise that Chloe isn’t a child anymore, huh?”

Clark sighed. “Look, like it or not, Lois will always feel somewhat maternal where Chloe’s concerned,” he replied calmly. “Yes, she said a lot of very cruel things which no doubt she’ll apologise for as soon as we walk through the door. But she was hurt and felt left out of the most important day of Chloe’s life.”

Oliver gave a non-committal shrug, and Clark tried again.

“It’s probably harder for us to understand, being that we’re men who didn’t grow up with siblings or cousins,” he went on. “But when you’ve shared your life with someone and they suddenly decide to go off and share it with someone else…well, that’s gotta sting. Common courtesy demands that the other person at least be notified.”

Oliver remained sullenly silent, softening only when he saw Chloe’s favourite colour of nail polish on the shelf. He picked one up and added it to the items in the basket, and then headed with Clark towards the checkout.

“Okay, maybe - maybe - we were just a little bit selfish in that respect,” he finally admitted grudgingly as he placed the items on the conveyor. “But I don’t regret getting married the way we did. We love each other, and once our minds were made up, we didn’t want to wait. And I’m so glad we didn’t, because our wedding couldn’t have been any more perfect or romantic.”

The slim young man at the checkout with enough eyeliner to keep Max Factor in business grinned widely as he scanned their items and put them in the bags. Oliver lifted a brow in surprise. From the look on the boy’s face, he must have wrongly assumed that he and Clark were a couple.

“I’m sure it was,” Clark said wistfully. “The wedding picture was beautiful, you both looked so…radiant.”

“Well, I’d just married the most beautiful girl in the world,” he said loudly. “Radiant is an understatement.”

Guyliner visibly slumped in disappointment, rang up their items and turned to the next customer in a huff. Oliver chuckled as he picked up the bags, and he and Clark quickly loaded them up in the back of the truck and got back into their seats.

“So…Oliver Queen, married,” Clark said, a look of wonder in his wide eyes as he started the engine and pulled out of the shopping centre car park. “To my best friend, no less.”

Oliver flexed the fingers of his left hand and smiled at the gleaming ring on his third finger.

“Yep. And I’ve never been happier in my life.” He kept staring at the ring, and a thoughtful look crossed his face. “I look at her and wonder how I ever lived without her, Clark,” he whispered. “She’s my family. Being in love…it’s such a great feeling.”

“Oh, Chloe’s the best friend you’ll ever have, believe me,” Clark replied with a faraway smile. “And after the rollercoaster year she’s had, it’s great to see her so happy.”

Oliver nodded in agreement. Clark drove on in silence, and when he eventually spoke again he sounded sounding more than a little emotional. “Just…look after her for me, okay?”

“You know I will,” Oliver replied, his eyes serious. “I love her, Clark. I’d never do anything to hurt her.”

“Good. So there’s no need for me to threaten to twist your spine into a pretzel if you ever do, right?” Clark smirked, and Oliver shook his head with a grin.

“Nice one,” he chuckled. “But totally unnecessary, I assure you.”

“Great.” He extended his hand and proffered a handshake. “Congratulations, man.”

Oliver smiled and shook his hand warmly. “Thanks.”

They drove for another five minutes, and when they got to the intersection Clark turned right towards the farm instead of left in the direction of Main Street.

“What’s going on?” he asked with a frown. “Aren’t we heading back to the Talon?”

“Eventually,” Clark replied as he drove up the gravel path and parked the vehicle in front of the Kent farmhouse. “But for now, let’s give the girls a chance to have their own little talk. I guarantee they’ll be yammering on a lot longer than we will.”

“Hmm…good point,” he agreed.

“Besides,” Clark added with a conspiratorial grin as they unloaded the gear from the boot and headed into the house, “The Sharks are playing this afternoon.”

Oliver’s brows went up. “Really?”

Clark’s grin widened. “Kick-off’s in five minutes.”

More than an hour and a bag of Dorritos later, the game was in full swing.

It was a brilliant game, as games went. The Sharks were beating the Rangers with considerable ease, and were well on the way to recording one of their best results ever. Yet Oliver’s expression remained grave, the forefinger on his right hand idly tracing the wedding on his left.

He knew he probably looked like a man with a lot on his mind. He and Clark had ordered pizza, which Clark had rapidly consumed; but the half in front of Oliver was largely uneaten. He suspected it wouldn’t be long before Clark picked up on his reticent mood.

He was right.

“You look like a man who placed a bet against his favourite team, Oliver,” Clark chuckled, even though there was a hint of seriousness behind his eyes. “What’s eating you?”

Oliver stopped playing with his wedding ring and instead traced patterns on the condensation cooling on the outside of his beer can.

He waited several seconds before finally replying.

“I love my wife, Clark,” he said solemnly. “I have no secrets from her.”

At his somber words, Clark’s expression turned stony and he fixed him with a hostile glare.

“Well, the look on your face says you have at least one, and a big one at that,” he replied, his voice hard. “What is it, Oliver? Is there an ex-girlfriend or a mini-Ollie running around somewhere that Chloe doesn’t know about?”

Oliver clenched his fists in annoyance. One of these days, he was going to wring Clark’s judgmental neck until he squeaked for mercy. It irked him no end that Clark was always so quick to believe the worst of him, and he still hadn’t confronted him for assuming that he’d been cheating on Chloe the day he’d overheard them speaking on the phone.

“If you’d been listening, you’d have heard when I said that I have no secrets from her,” he replied harshly. “The only thing I’m keeping from her isn’t even my secret. It’s yours.”

“Mine?” Clark said, surprised. “What are you taking about? She already knows my secret.”

Oliver shook his head. “You misunderstand me, Clark. There’s something important that you’ve kept from Chloe for a long time, something she’s completely unaware of,” he explained grimly. “I’ve kept your confidence until now, but my allegiance is to my wife. And I’ll be damned if I spend the rest of my marriage with a cloud over my head because of some sh*tty thing you did to her and don’t have the decency to come clean about.”

Clark’s face blanched, and his expression turned almost fearful. “What are you saying, Oliver?” he said in a low voice.

Oliver stared at him and gave it to him straight. “When are you going to tell Chloe that you erased her memories?” he challenged softly.

To be continued…

Comment

Beauty in the Breakdown 9: 'Fessing Up, Chapter 4

Rating: PG-13 (for adult themes)

Chapter 4

It was a huge bombshell she had just dropped on her cousin, and Lois’s reaction was just as Chloe had expected. She was staring at her in disbelief, a horrified expression in her eyes that were rapidly filling with tears.

“My God,” she whispered, pressing her hands to her cheeks as her voice rose. “Oh, my God. How did I not know this? Chloe, why didn’t you tell me?”

“I didn’t want you to worry,” she replied reaching for Lois’s trembling hand. “You were getting your life together, and I didn’t want to burden you with my problems. And…” she paused. “After everything with my Mom, I didn’t want you looking at me like I was crazy.”

“I’d never have done that!” she exclaimed. “I’m your big cousin, Chlo, it’s my job to worry about you!”

“I know, Lois; but…” she sighed. “It goes both ways. I worry about you, too, and I didn’t want to do anything that would get in the way of your success.”

“You should have told me,” Lois insisted, her face grim. She got up and went to stand at the window, still in a state of shock. “You should have told me, Chloe. I’d have looked after you, no matter what.” She rested her forehead in her palm and shook her head sadly. “God, there is so much I don’t know about you. We all have our secrets, sure, but this…?”

“I’m sorry,” Chloe said quietly. There really wasn’t much else she could say. Until Clark decided to expand his circle of trust to include Lois, the heavy secrets would have to remain.

“What happened to you?” Lois finally asked, turning to face her.

Chloe frowned. “It’s really hard to explain. I, um… I contracted a very rare virus; a foreign virus that infected my brain, resulting in significant lapses of memory among other things.”

Lois’s eyes narrowed suspiciously. “Did Clark know?”

She nodded. “Yes, he and Ollie, and they---”

Oliver? You told Oliver, back then?” she said incredulously. “But aside from the fact that you were my cousin, he barely knew you!”

“He…kind of found out, but once he knew he did everything he could to help,” she explained, doing her utmost not to say anything that would reveal too much. “It was pretty serious. I was forgetting things, forgetting people, missing appointments, until it got to a point whn my brain was almost a blank slate.”

Lois’s eyes widened. “Did you…did you forget me?”

Chloe nodded, very slowly. “Yeah.”

“That must have been really scary for you.”

“It was. I was pretty much out of it towards the end, and there’s still a whole chunk of time that I can’t really remember; but with Oliver’s resources and contacts, and with Clark’s help, I got better and made a full recovery. See?” She gave Lois a bright grin. “I can tell you where you were born, who gave you your first kiss, and when you got your first bad dye job.”

Lois cracked a smile then, and some of the sternness left her face.

“I’m just glad you’re all OK. Sounds like a modern day miracle, almost,” she said wistfully.

Chloe’s smile faded. “Almost. My relationship with Jimmy couldn’t be saved, though.”

“Probably just as well, if you weren’t in a position to really consent to the marriage,” Lois said thoughtfully.

“True. But I was this time,” Chloe pointed out. “And it’s the best decision I ever made in my life. Oliver and I…” she brushed her fingertips over her wedding rings and sighed contentedly. “We’re so happy together. I really love him, Lois.”

Lois nodded in agreement. “And Clark?” she asked softly. “How do you feel about him?”

Chloe smiled. “I let go of all that a long, long time ago, with Oliver’s help,” she replied. “Ancient history.”

Lois sighed heavily and sat down on the couch. “That’s a relief,” she said looking visibly more relaxed even though there was still a degree of tension in her gait. “I guess I…” She paused and clasped her hands tightly, looking suddenly nervous. Chloe waited patiently for her to continue.

“Ever since I started working at the Daily Planet and you got fired…and then I suddenly found myself side by side with Clark…” she stopped again and waited for several seconds before speaking again.

“I feel like I stole all your dreams somehow,” she finished brokenly.

“Lois, that’s crazy,” she admonished, but Lois shook her head.

“I knew you still loved Clark when you married Jimmy, and I should have said something, but I didn’t, and I feel responsible for everything that happened afterward,” she said, the words tumbling out of her. “And…and when I heard you’d married Oliver…”

“…You thought it was happening all over again?” Chloe finished.

Lois nodded, visibly upset. “I’m so sorry, Chlo.”

Chloe sad down next to her cousin and wrapped her arms around her heaving shoulders, giving her the biggest hug she possibly could. When Lois had calmed down a little, Chloe leaned back and took her cousin’s hands in hers.

“Lois, please believe me when I say that none of this is your fault,” she said earnestly. “I’ve explained about my state of mind when I married Jimmy, so don’t you ever feel guilty for that, okay?”

Lois nodded, and she continued. “As for Clark…people change, Lois. Feelings change. If anyone had told me this time last year that I’d be married to Oliver freakin’ Queen twelve months later, I’d have laughed in their faces. Yet now he’s the one person I can’t do without. We’re crazy about each other, and we couldn’t be happier. Oliver sings me cheesy love songs all the time, and I pretend to be embarrassed, but honestly? I can’t get enough of it!”

Lois laughed a little bit then, though her expression remained slightly dubious.

“Would I have been happy with Clark?” Chloe asked, and shrugged. “Probably, yes. Maybe not. Who knows? But it’s completely moot. None of that even matters because, my God, I am so in love with my husband. And I wouldn’t change a thing about this crazy journey, because it’s what led us to each other.”

She put her hands on Lois’s face and stared into her eyes. “So please…no more silly talk about stealing my dreams and such, okay?”

“Okay,” Lois sniffed, smiling through her tears. “Okay.”

Chloe grinned. “Good.”

“Only…”

Chloe rolled her eyes at that one hanging word. “Only what?” she asked, exasperated.

“Well…I know you’re in love with Oliver now, so that’s all sorted; but what about your other dream?” she asked.

Chloe frowned. “What other dream?”

“The Daily Planet,” Lois qualified. “When are you coming back to the Planet, Chloe? Because there’s no way you can tell me you don’t still dream about that.”

To be continued…

Comment

Beauty in the Breakdown 9: 'Fessing Up, Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Oliver saw the blood drain from Clark’s face at his stern words.

The younger man swallowed and flattened his hands on his thighs; to stop his fingers from trembling, Oliver noticed. Clark suddenly looked as sick as if he’d ingested a rogue chunk of kryptonite. Clearly, he’d never intended to tell Chloe about the midewipe at all.

“Well?” Oliver pressed as he remained silent. “When are you going to tell my wife the truth about the memories that you stripped from her?”

Clark shrugged and tried – unsuccessfully – to look nonplussed. “She got them all back, so what difference does it make now?” he retorted.

“A lot,” Oliver replied harshly. “And I can’t believe how much of a coward you’re being about this.”

“I’m not being a coward, I just don’t know what you hope to achieve by dredging up something hurtful that’s bound to cause Chloe pain!” Clark shot back defensively.

“Yeah, something hurtful that you did to her!”

“I did it to protect her!”

“Like she ran away with Davis to protect you,” Oliver replied swiftly. “Yet the second that all went wrong, you laid the blame at her feet and left her to grieve on her own.”

“And you didn’t?” Clark challenged. “Admit it, Oliver; you walked away from her, same as I did.”

“Maybe so, but the difference is that Chloe and I have made peace with whatever issues we may have had,” he said. “But you haven’t; not really, and this is one of the reasons why. Come on, Clark, you can’t deny that you two haven’t been the same since the whole Doomsday debacle.”

There was a brief pause. “I know we’re not as close as we once were…but we’re okay,” Clark said, almost pleading. “Yes, we had it rough for a while, but things have levelled out now, and we’re on speaking terms again. Why risk upsetting her over something that’s no longer a problem?”

“Because Chloe needs to know the truth,” Oliver insisted. “Clark, did you know she was having doubts about marrying Jimmy?”

Clark shook his head. “No. I thought her decision was sudden, but she seemed happy and she never told me she was having second thoughts.”

“That’s because she couldn’t, not really. She had Brainiac in her head from the time she ‘accepted’ Jimmy’s proposal, and he was the one pulling the strings like a sick puppet-master,” Oliver said. “As a result, she said and did a lot of things that didn’t make sense because they weren’t her decisions to begin with.”

Clark turned even paler than before. “So it was Brainiac,” he whispered in shock. “She never meant to marry Jimmy at all.”

“No, Clark, she didn’t,” he replied. “But without the full facts of her life to fall back on for information she was a sitting duck, made worse when you played potshot pool with her memories.”

Clark shook his head in denial. “No, I only removed her knowledge of my secret – that’s all I took out,” he said.

“And you think that’s not enough to make a significant difference?” Oliver questioned. “The brain is a network, Clark. Disconnect one wire, and the knock-on effect is a lot wider than you can begin to imagine.”

“It was just my secret,” Clark mumbled despondently. “Nothing else, I swear.”

“You have to understand that so much of her life is intertwined with the knowledge of your secret,” Oliver explained patiently. “When you ripped that out, you left her a shell of her former self. By the time all her memories were eventually restored, she was left with a convalescing husband she didn’t love, and no real clue as to how it had all happened.”

“Oh God,” Clark said, staring aghast. “I thought she loved him, I thought…I only wanted her to be happy.” He rested his head in his hands. “God, I really screwed up.”

Oliver silently stared at Clark, feeling almost sorry for him. As much as the younger man irritated him with his holier-than-thou ways and tunnel-vision take on life, he had acted in what he’d thought was Chloe’s best interest. But even the best intentions could breed horrible results, and Oliver was determined to get the truth of Clark’s dark secret out into the open once and for all. He’d gotten away with hiding it for far too long as it was.

“You need to tell her, Clark,” he said gravely. “Today. And if you don’t, I will.”

Clark’s head immediately shot up. “I can’t,” he whispered desperately, his eyes full of fear. “I can’t tell her what I did. Please don’t make me, Ollie.”

“Why not?” he queried. “What’s the real problem here, Clark?”

“What if…” Clark gulped. “What if she doesn’t forgive me?”

“She will.”

“And if she doesn’t?”

Oliver smiled mirthlessly and shook his head. “You were best friends with her for years, and yet you know nothing about her,” he said, his voice full of reproach. “Chloe will forgive you because that’s what she does. She doesn’t know how to hold a grudge, least of all against you. She still believes in you.”

“But that’s exactly my problem,” Clark argued. “Before I asked Jor-El to take her memories, she specifically said she wouldn’t give up knowing me for the world. If she knows I betrayed that trust…” he turned his face away, looking visibly shaken. “How could she ever forgive me after that?”

Oliver got to his feet and picked up the keys to the truck from the table.

“She’ll forgive you,” he maintained with firm resolution, tossing the keys at Clark, which he instinctively caught. “And if you think for one second that she won’t, then you never really knew her at all.”

Clark swallowed hard and stared at the keys in his hands as if they might bite him.

“Come on,” Oliver said, heading for the front door. “Time to head back.”

To be continued…

Comment

Beauty in the Breakdown 9: 'Fessing Up, Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Lois had found her Achilles’ heel. And shot an arrow straight into it.

Pain clawed at her heart every time the DP was mentioned and Chloe instinctively winced, before immediately trying to recover.

“The Daily Planet?” she echoed, and gave a cheery laugh. “Nah, that’s…that’s ancient history, too.”

Her cousin snorted. “Like hell it is.”

“It’s true!” Chloe insisted hollowly. “I’m done with reporting.”

“Why?” Lois challenged. “Because Lex Luthor fired you over a personal grudge?”

“Because…because I’ve come so far from that now,” she argued, not sounding at all convincing even to herself.

“But don’t you even want to try being a journalist anymore?” Lois pressed. “Heck, it’s got to be better than…Jeez, what is it you do for a living again? Because I know that counsellor crap didn’t pan out.”

Chloe swallowed hard and immediately concocted another on-the-spot passable answer. “I’m a… consultant computer surveillance systems analyst,” she finished vaguely.

Lois stared at her as if she were completely crazy. “…the hell?”

“It pays well,” she went on, trying to sound enthused. “And that’s how I became more involved with Ollie, because I did some work with Queen Industries systems. We man some of their satellites, and installed their anti-virus systems.”

“I see,” Lois finally answered, pondering. “Still, it’s not what you really want to do, is it?”

Chloe sighed. “Lois…”

“Is it?” her cousin insisted.

“What I do makes a difference in the world,” she deflected. “I’ve helped save millions of lives.”

“Yeah, at the expense of your own,” Lois pointed out. “When was the last time you worked a job that you really, really loved? Counselling was a joke, and can you honestly tell me that this computer consultancy whatever-the-hell you called it really makes you happy?”

Chloe gulped. “I feel…fulfilled…”

“That’s not what I asked,” Lois said grimly, and went to lift the lid on her laptop. “But I have my answer.”

“Lois, what are you doing?” Chloe asked hesitantly as her cousin logged on.

“Listen, there’s been a lot of restructuring down at the Planet; lots of transfers and foreign correspondent positions that have been filled by in-house workers,” she began, and Chloe quickly began shaking her head.

“Lois – no. I don’t think---”

“...long story short, there are some openings,” she soldiered on, finding the Daily Planet’s website recruitment page and attaching it to a message. “Now, I don’t want to badger you, Chloe, but I don’t want you giving up on something you’ve always wanted, either. Just…take a look at the application, that’s all I ask. One look. If you decide the DP isn’t for you anymore, then fine; I won’t hassle you anymore. But promise you’ll at least consider coming back, okay? Please, Chloe.”

Chloe looked at her cousin’s pleading eyes and sighed. “Fine, I promise,” she finally answered quietly, and Lois brightened with relief.

“Thank you,” she said quietly. “It hasn’t been the same there without you.”

“Well, I haven’t definitively said I’m coming back,” Chloe said defensively.

“You will,” Lois replied with a confident smile. “I know you will.”

Chloe smiled and squeezed Lois’s hand, finally glad that they had cleared the air and said everything that had needed to be said for a long time.

Just then the timer on the oven pinged, signalling that their cake was ready.

“Perfect timing,” Lois said, getting to her feet and walking briskly to the oven. “Start mixing up the frosting, I’ll get this thing sliced. It’ll take another thirty minutes to cool, by which time the boys should be back.”

“I don’t think they’ll be around for a while yet, Lois,” Chloe said with a wry grin. “Sharks are in the play-offs this afternoon.”

“They must have snuck off to the farm then, to watch the game in peace,” Lois surmised as she slipped on her oven mitts and carefully lifted the hot cake out of the oven.

“Which gives us more time to talk,” Chloe replied.

“Please,” Lois scoffed. “What could we possibly have to talk about that we haven’t already?”

“Let’s see…your Cradle Robber comment, for starters?” Chloe said with a sardonically raised brow as she mixed the chocolate frosting ingredients together. “Really, Lois, that was low.”

Lois giggled and waved her hand dismissively. “Oh, you know I didn’t mean it; that was just me being a *****,” she replied with a smug grin as she sliced the cake into layers and placed them on a cooling tray. “Wanted to piss him off for marrying you in my absence.”

Chloe put the whisk down and stared at Lois for several seconds before bursting out into wild laughter. “Unbelievable!” she chuckled. “No wonder you two broke up, you’re too much alike!”

Lois frowned. “Meaning…?”

“Oliver said the exact same thing about you when we were coming over here – that he wanted to piss you off for daring to be angry that we got married.” She folded her arms and smiled. “You’d have driven each other crazy if you’d stayed together.”

“You guys talk about…that?” Lois asked, her face reddening.

“We talk about everything, there are no secrets between us,” she replied, thinking fondly of her husband. “You, Jimmy, Clark…we just got it all out in the open very early on, and decided that dwelling on the past is redundant because it’s not gonna change anything. Our focus is on our future, so it’s all good.”

“That sounds lovely,” Lois said with a smile. “And tell me, does this future include a mini Chloe or Ollie down the line, hmm?”

Chloe laughed as her cousin pointedly stared at her belly.

“Yes, but not for a while,” she replied. “We talked about it, and decided to wait a year before trying for a baby.”

“Well, I had to ask,” Lois said petulantly, lifting Chloe’s left hand and tapping the rings. “I mean, after this little stunt, I don’t want the first time I find out about my future niece or nephew to be when I read the birth announcement in the paper nine months from now.”

“There will be no birth announcement in the next nine months, Lois, trust me,” Chloe said confidently.

Lois raised a disbelieving brow. “Sure?”

Positive. Aunt Flo’s visiting as we speak.” And she was right on that one; despite the pregnancy scare of her wedding night, her period had shown up yesterday morning right on schedule, albeit with a significantly lighter flow than usual. All the excitement of the wedding and honeymoon had altered her cycle, but things would no doubt return to normal by the time her next period rolled around.

“Well, as long as you do let me know when the stork pays a visit, I’ll forgive you for cutting me out of the wedding,” Lois said with a smile.

Chloe grinned. “It’s a deal.”

“Good,” her cousin replied. “Come on – let’s go sit. And while we wait for the cake to cool, you can tell me all about what you really did on your honeymoon.”

“Lois!” she gasped, her cheeks turning pink with embarrassment.

Lois grinned, her eyes glinting mischievously as she adopted a professional pose complete with an imaginary microphone. “So tell me, Mrs Queen: what was it like, having all that gorgeous, rippling manflesh beneath your fingertips?” she asked bluntly. “And no censoring – we want all the juicy details!”

To be continued…

Comment

Beauty in the Breakdown 9: 'Fessing Up, Chapter 7

Chapter 7

It was a long, slow ride back to the Talon.

Both men sat silently side by side, in sharp contrast to the jovial journey they’d made to the Farm. Clark kept well below the speed limits and gripped the steering wheel so tightly Oliver swore he left imprints beneath his fingers.

Occasionally Clark would glance over with a pleading look, but Oliver stared resolutely ahead, ignoring the unspoken request. His mind was made up. Clark was going to come clean to Chloe about the mindwipe before the sun went down, and Oliver was going to make sure of it even if he had to drag the big man there kicking and screaming with a kryptonite assist.

He narrowed his eyes and glanced at his wedding ring. In truth, he was more concerned than Clark was about revealing the truth about Chloe’s stolen memories. Whilst he hadn’t been consulted about Clark’s intentions, he had been briefed about the situation on the morning of her wedding, and thus had been given an opportunity to stop her from making one of the gravest mistakes of her life. Instead he had brushed it off, more concerned at the time with tracking Lex Luthor down and killing him because of his father Lionel’s involvement in the death of his parents.

Oliver sighed. He’d been in such a weird place back then. Finding out for certain that Lionel Luthor had murdered his parents had been the start of the downward spiral that had made him hit the bottle hard. If he had been thinking objectively, he would have swept Chloe up in his arms, wedding gown and all, carried her out of that barn. Then he would have nocked a kryptonite arrow, aimed it at Clark’s head and insisted that he put her memories back in her head where they belonged. But no; he’d let Chloe walk down the aisle without a significant part of her past, and had done nothing to stop it.

He brushed his thumb on the inside of the ring and swallowed. This was the first true test of his marriage. Chloe was going be devastated when she found out that he knew what Clark had done and neglected to tell her for over a year. But he trusted that she would forgive him and believed that she would love him more for being honest with her, knowing that he had risked everything to make sure she knew the truth.

“You’ve got a green light, Clark,” he said dryly as the car behind them honked insistently. “Step on it.”

Chloe was putting the finishing touches on the frosting when they walked in. She looked up at them, and Oliver couldn’t help but grin indulgently at the domestic picture she made; frilly apron around her waist, spatula in hand, smudge of chocolate frosting on her left cheek.

“Perfect timing!” she said with a smile as he approached. “We’re just about finished here. How was the game? Did the Sharks win?”

“No idea, we didn’t wait for the finish,” Oliver said, zooming straight in on the chocolate smudge and sucking it into his mouth. She giggled as he hummed approvingly, his voice dropping lower as he gave her a quick nose-nuzzle. “I missed you.”

“Missed you, too,” she replied shyly. “Listen, um…” she inclined her head towards her cousin. “Lois has something to say to you.”

“Oh?” Oliver glanced up as his wife’s cousin stepped forward, her gaze firmly on the ground.

“I apologise for my inappropriate remark earlier,” she mumbled. “It was hurtful and cruel, and I should never have said it. I was upset that I missed Chloe’s wedding, but it’s no excuse for hating on your happiness. I’m sorry.”

Chloe smiled proudly at her and then looked up at him with a stern, challenging gaze. Oliver duly adopted a sober expression and spoke.

“I accept your apology, Lois,” he said solemnly. “And I’m sorry I was insensitive to your feelings. I was being petty and mean when I should have been more understanding.”

Lois instantly brightened. “No harm done,” she chirped, thumping him in the shoulder in lieu of a handshake.

Oliver shook his head and smiled. Some things never changed.

“Thank goodness that’s over,” she went on breezily as she headed towards the countertop where the cake sat temptingly on a platter. “Now let’s cut this sucker open, because I have been dying for a slice all afternoon. Will you two do the honours?”

She held out a gilded, ribbon-decorated knife, but just then her phone rang shrilly. She examined the caller ID and sighed.

“Sorry, it’s the office – I need to take this,” she said, heading towards the front door. “I’ll just be a minute…”

“Which means she’ll actually be about an hour,” Chloe finished sarcastically as she folded her arms. “So much for dying for a slice.” She tilted her head and frowned. “Clark; you’re quiet. Everything alright?”

Clark had been standing silently in a corner since they’d walked in, doing his level best to blend in with the wallpaper. The moment Chloe addressed him directly, he paled and swallowed hard.

“Um…Chloe, can I talk to you?” he asked hesitantly.

“Is something wrong?” she said, walking over to him with a concerned look on her face. “What is it?”

Oliver watched keenly from the kitchenette as Clark gently ushered her into the furthest corner of the room and lowered his voice to a whisper. Oliver couldn’t hear what he was saying, but the changing expressions on Chloe’s face as he spoke said it all. He saw the concern in her eyes give way to disbelief and denial, followed by shock and then quietly controlled rage.

Clark finally stopped talking and she stared up at him, her jaw slack and her eyes wide.

“I’m sorry,” Clark said hoarsely, reaching for her. “Chloe, I’m so sor---”

She lifted a hand sharply and held it up, cutting his apology off immediately. Her chest rose and fell as the gravity of his words sank into her brain and she squeezed her eyes shut, her raised palm curling into a tight fist. Stiffly she walked away from Clark and headed straight out onto the balcony, slamming the door shut behind her.

The wall clock ticked loudly, filling the silence. Clark stood numbly in the corner Chloe had left him in, looking thoroughly miserable.

“I’m proud of you, Clark,” Oliver said quietly, jarring the other man out of his stupor. “I honestly didn’t think you would do it.”

Clark didn’t answer. He fixed Oliver with a steely glare before running a hand through his hair with a despairing sigh and sitting down slowly on the sofa.

Oliver checked his watch and glanced out the window at his wife. He waited patiently for five more minutes heading out to join her on the balcony, closing the door quietly behind him.

She heard her husband come out onto the balcony and gently close the door, but Chloe didn’t acknowledge his presence. She squared her shoulders and kept her back to him whilst she continued to stare blankly out over the horizon, looking but not seeing.

He didn’t say anything, which was good. There was nothing to say, really. But his presence was quietly calming. After a long while, it was she who broke the silence.

“You know, I always knew Clark wasn’t perfect,” she began. “As much as he tries to do the right thing, his execution never quite cuts it. Simply put, it stinks; but I always give him a free pass because, hey…he’s trying to help, right?” She paused, and narrowed her eyes. “Only, just when I think Clark couldn’t possibly be any more stupid and egotistical than he already is…” she shook her head and laughed bitterly. “I don’t know why I’m surprised, really.”

She felt Oliver move to stand behind her, then his hands squeezed her shoulders softly. “At least he was honest with you about it,” he said. “That ought to count for something.”

She snorted. “Only after you forced him into it, I’ll bet.”

He sighed and nodded. “Pretty much.”

She closed her eyes and cast her mind back to that terrible time when so much of what she’d said and done was a blur. Once Brainiac had been extracted she’d returned to her usual self, but the haunting questions had still remained, chief of which was…

“I could never understand was why I married Henry James Olsen,” she said blankly. I never loved him. I knew it, and he knew it. I guess Brainiac said or did something to give him hope, but I’d never have married him if I had all my own memories.”

“We’ve had this conversation before, Chloe,” he said gently but firmly. “You can’t blame yourself for what happened to him.”

She remembered the conversation clearly; it had been the day she and Oliver had officially started their relationship, and she had long since let go of the awful guilt she’d harboured regarding Jimmy’s death on that starlit summer evening. But today’s revelation had also made something else abundantly clear.

She turned to face her husband. “You knew,” she accused bluntly.

Oliver looked physically pained, but he nodded. “I did.”

Tears gathered in her eyes and her face crumpled. “Oliver, why didn’t you tell me?” she cried.

“Oh honey, it wasn’t my secret to tell,” he said softly, wiping the tears from her cheeks with his thumbs and cradling her head gently against his chest. “Surely you of all people can understand that.”

She swallowed and nodded, grateful that her husband had at least managed to wrangle Clark into confessing. But the question still remained.

“Why?” she whispered. “Why would Clark do such a horrible thing to me?”

“He was trying to help,” he murmured. “Thought he was protecting you.”

Help?” she echoed incredulously, leaning back to stare at him. “He wiped away a significant, vital segment of my memories; how for the love of God is that ‘helping’ me?” she challenged, her voice rising. “Without those memories, I’m not me. Why couldn’t he see that? Why?”

“He was desperate; he thought…he thought that knowing the truth about him was what kept putting you in danger,” he explained.

Really?” Chloe snorted. “Is that his excuse? Because I battled those aliens side by side with him for years, and he never batted an eyelid. Now all of a sudden, his world is too dangerous for me?” She shook her head and stepped out of his embrace and began pacing angrily up and down the tiny space.

“Where exactly does he get off deciding what’s too dangerous for me?” she raged. “And where the hell did he get such a thick-brained, stupid idea to begin with?”

Oliver’s heart pounded hard, and he took a deep breath and answered.

“From me,” he whispered. “It was from me.”

To be continued…

Comment

Beauty in the Breakdown 9: 'Fessing Up, Chapter 8

Timeline*: Season 9 (recap of Clark/Ollie talk from Season 8’s Bloodline)*

Banner by alxnhnt22 at LiveJournal.

Chapter 8

“I spoke to Chloe,” Clark said. “She said if it wasn’t for you, I probably wouldn’t be here right now. Thanks.”

Oliver regarded him with a raised brow. “Actually, if it wasn’t for Chloe tweaking into a supercomputer, you wouldn’t be here right now,” he said dryly. “Her eyes went white, and she…with one hand, mind you…pushed me into the other room.” He got to his feet and stared at the other man with a challenging stare. “What happened to her?”

Clark swallowed. “Brainiac, he infected her somehow.”

Oliver’s heart filled with dread. He and Chloe weren’t the closest of friends, but seeing her eyes go lifeless as the blood drained out of her nose had shaken him to the core. She’d brushed it off afterward, but he’d suspected there’d been more to it than met the eye.

Now the worst had been confirmed. He’d always been wary of Clark’s alien nature and tended to steer clear of the finer points of the other man’s heritage, but even he knew that Brainiac was bad news.

“What are you doing about this?” he demanded.

Clark shrugged. “Everything I can. I’ve tried to talk to her, but I can’t control her life,” he replied lamely.

Her life?” Oliver echoed. “It’s not her life anymore, Clark – she’s living yours. Chloe’s knee-deep in these situations that – pardon the expression – that humans just don’t understand.” He lowered his voice and his eyes bore into Clark’s. “As her best friend, make her stop before she gets hurt.”

The pacing stopped.

Oliver swallowed past the dryness in his throat as Chloe stood stock still and stared at him, her wide eyes utterly confused.

You?” she echoed in a whisper. “Oliver, I don’t understand...”

“I kind of...pressured Clark into taking decisive action about your safety,” he replied quietly.

Chloe frowned. “When was this?”

“Last year,” he said bleakly. “When you used that Kryptonian crystal to pull Clark out of the Phantom Zone and back to earth.”

She nodded, but a frown still creased her brow. “What did you say to him?” she asked curiously.

Oliver swallowed and took her hand. “Basically that he was selfish, and that if he wasn’t careful you were going to end up dead because of him.”

Her eyes widened in shock. “What? But why?”

He sighed and stroked her hair. “Chloe, I was there, remember?” he said. “When you held your hand over that Kryptonian machine, you started shaking. Your eyes went white, and you started bleeding right there in front of me. I tried to stop you, to break the connection, but you shoved me so hard, I passed out.”

She gaped. “I did?”

He nodded. “I went clean into the next room. When I came to, everything was back to normal, but there was still blood on your face, and…well, I guess I’d just seen enough,” he continued. “I accosted Clark at the Farm and told him that you almost died trying to save his life.”

He took her hands and rested his forehead against hers. “I threatened him, Chloe. I ordered him to make some important changes to his life before he did something that would get you hurt again; but never in my wildest dreams did I think he would do something as serious as erase your memories.”

Chloe closed her eyes and took a deep breath, then exhaled loudly.

“I wish he’d told me sooner,” she said sadly after several long minutes. “A lot sooner. I’ve been going out of my mind all this time, wondering…” she trailed off and took his hand, tightening her fingers around his.

“At least now I know why,” she went on. “But he was an idiot to think he could ever get away with not telling me.”

“He’s told you now,” Oliver said gently.

Her expression darkened and she shook her head. “He wouldn’t have if you hadn’t compelled him to, and that’s not right.” Her fingers uncurled from his and she went back to leaning on the balcony railing. “I can’t believe Clark would do such a thing to someone he called his best friend. He would have let me go to my grave with no knowledge of this, and I’d have been none the wiser.”

Oliver turned her to face him and held her face in his hands. “It was a bone-headed thing he did, for sure, there’s no disputing that,” he said softly. “But he was between a rock and a hard place at the time, and he honestly thought he was protecting you. All of us have made at least one stupid decision that had serious repercussions which we’ve regretted; this is his. But he’s told you the truth now, and he’s very, very sorry.” He stroked her arms and kissed the top of her head gently. “Forgive him, Chloe. Let it go.”

She sighed deeply and turned into his arms, squeezing him tight.

“Already have,” she whispered against his chest, and he smiled into her hair.

“Attagirl.”

“But that doesn’t mean I’m not still mad about this,” she added harshly. “Oliver, he let me get married with half a brain in my head!”

There was a long pause before Oliver answered.

“So did I,” he whispered brokenly, “Chloe, I…I had the chance to stop you, and I didn’t.”

She paused for all of one second before replying.

“I’m glad you didn’t.”

Oliver blinked suddenly. Those were not the words he’d expected to hear, positive though they were. He leaned back and looked at her carefully.

“You are?”

She nodded. “Mmm-hmm.”

“But…but I could have stopped you from marrying Jimmy.”

“Let’s say you did,” she said, “…and he and all our guests were waiting at the barn when Doomsday showed up. What do you think would have happened then?”

“Well, he’d still have gone on a rampage, that much is sure,” he replied, wondering where she was going with this.

“And what would he have done when he hadn’t found me there?”

“Probably torn through half of Kansas trying to find you,” he replied, his eyes widening in realisation.

“Exactly,” she replied. “And who knows how many people he may have killed then?”

Oliver stared at his wife as her logic made complete sense. Doomsday would have ripped the barn apart trying to find her, killing everyone including Clark, and he would have stopped at nothing to find her.

Chloe tilted her head and smiled up at him. “A wise person once told me that the decisions we made in the past have led us to where we are today,” she said. “I like where we are today. And I know you do, too.”

He felt a smile spreading across his face. “I do, as it happens,” he said. “And I’m intrigued as to who this wise person might be. Any pointers?”

She shrugged daintily. “Some tall blond gentleman with a penchant for archery…I forget his name,” she replied, lifting herself onto her tiptoes to brush her lips against his. “…but I think I may have married him a couple of weeks ago.”

Not just married him, but clearly also forgiven him, he thought jubilantly as he wrapped his arms around her and pressed his lips to hers, kissing her with all the love in his heart. He hadn’t even had to apologise, obviously because as far as she was concerned, there was nothing to apologise for.

He loved her so damned much right now.

“Did I tell you I love you yet?” he murmured against her lips, and she smiled.

“Only every day.”

To be continued…

Comment

Beauty in the Breakdown 9: 'Fessing Up, Chapter 9/9

*Winner of Best Chloe/Oliver Fanfiction in thesv_fcaAwards
                  **Nominated for Best Series in thesv_fcaAwards
                  ***Best Chlollie Fanfiction Cover win for ellashy for BITB IV: Falling In (thanks, Ella!)

Chapter 9

They spent another half hour on the balcony sharing sweet, languid kisses and soft laughs, enjoying the warmth of each other’s company. Eventually Oliver lifted his head and peered through the window into the living room of the Talon where Clark remained grimly seated.

“Are you gonna talk to him?” he asked, and she snorted.

“What’s the point?” she retorted. “What’s done is done; all the yelling and screaming in the world won’t make a difference now.” She paused and smiled wryly. “I admit, I am tempted to let him stew and suffer in pain a little bit longer, he certainly deserves it…but I think we’ve all endured enough pain for one year.”

He gave a relieved sigh and nodded. “Well spoken, Mrs Queen.”

“Besides,” she added with a wry smile as she leaned back to observe Clark through a crack in the door. “He does seem very cut up about everything.”

Oliver leaned with her and sure enough Clark was staring at the floor in abject misery, his shoulders hunched and his general gait altogether defeated.

“Aw,” she said with a touch of sympathy. “He looks like he’s lost his best friend, bless him.”

“Well, he kind of did,” Oliver replied, tightening his arm around her waist as he gazed into her eyes. “To me.”

Chloe rested a hand on his cheek and smiled before lifting her mouth to his for another kiss. He claimed her lips, kissing her deeply for several seconds before lifting his head.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner,” he said, his voice thick with regret. “I didn’t want to hurt you, but I don’t want any secrets between us whatsoever.”

She smiled. “I know,” she whispered. “And you can’t even begin to imagine how much I appreciate your honesty. Like you said, it wasn’t your secret to tell, but you still made sure I knew the truth, even though it was difficult for you. I love you, Oliver; with all my heart.”

He bent his head and rubbed his nose against hers. “Ditto.”

They kissed some more, and then eventually pulled apart with extreme reluctance.

“How long have we been out here?” she asked curiously.

Oliver checked his watch. “About an hour.”

“Long enough for Clark to have soberly reflected on the error of his ways, I think,” she murmured with a grin, and reached for his hand. “Come on; let’s go put him out of his misery.”

Clark looked up expectantly as they approached, his eyes red-rimmed and miserable, yet hopeful. He swallowed and looked from her to Oliver and back to her again, waiting for her to rip him a new one.

Chloe stopped in front of him with folded arms and stared at him in silence. Clark’s chest rose and fell with deep breaths as he waited for the tirade the he was sure would follow.

So when she simply smiled and opened her arms to him for a hug, Clark almost collapsed with relief. His eyes lit up and he wrapped his big arms around her and held her tight, rocking her back and forth slowly.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered into her hair. “I’m so sorry, Chloe.”

“I know,” she replied, her voice slightly muffled against his chest. She leaned back and fixed him with a stern gaze. “I understand why you took my memories, Clark, I do; I know what you were up against. What really upset me, though, was that you didn’t have the balls to tell me about it after I got those memories back, and that if it hadn’t been for my husband, you probably never would have.”

Clark sighed and lowered his gaze to the floor, suitably ashamed. “I didn’t know if you’d ever forgive me,” he whispered.

“You should have trusted me,” she simply replied, her heart tinged with pain.

He nodded. “Yes, I should have. I’m sorry.” He moved to hug her again, but she pointed a stern finger in his face.

Don’t do it again,” she warned, and he vehemently shook his head.

“No. Never.

Chloe smiled. “Good. Come here.” She hugged him again, patting his back reassuringly as he clung to her.

“One last thing,” she said into his shoulder.

“Name it.”

She leaned back again. “Can you please find your way back to the red and blue section of the wardrobe?” she begged. “Black is so not your colour.”

He laughed. “It’s a deal.”

She smiled and made to move out of his arms but to Oliver’s surprise Clark hugged her again and held on, clearly making up for a year’s worth of lost hugs in one afternoon.

Chloe frowned as the clock ticked on and Clark made no move to let her go. Rather, his arms tightened around her, and she caught Oliver’s eye and saw his brow furrow with wry suspicion at her friend’s sudden clinginess.

“Um…Clark?” she queried.

No answer. This time, Oliver folded his arms and openly scowled, and Chloe stifled a giggle. Clark was apparently very quick to fall back into old comfort zones. Yes, she wanted them to be close again, but not that close. She tried once more to disengage from arms, but he simply wouldn’t budge. Sighing, she glanced at her husband and made a silent plea for help.

Oliver gave a discreet but deliberate cough which jarred Clark out of his languorous haze. Quickly he let go of her and took a large step back, having the good grace to look embarrassed.

“Sorry,” he said sheepishly. “I forget I can’t hold you so closely now.”

“Yeah, you lucked out, dude,” Oliver smirked, linking his arms around her waist from behind and pulling her up against him. “But I’m glad you’re friends again.”

Clark smiled. “Me too. It’s been a…difficult year, for all of us.”

They nodded in agreement and stood together in a comfortable silence, reflecting on the turbulence of the past twelve months. Suddenly the door to the apartment was ceremoniously flung open, startling all three of them.

“Oooooo-kay,” Lois said breezily as she swept back into the room. “What did I miss?”

“Everything, as usual,” Oliver chuckled under his breath, and Chloe gave him a hard nudge in the ribs with her elbow.

“Nothing much,” Chloe replied with a bright smile. “How’s things at the office? All okay?”

“Meh, nothing they can’t handle without me,” she replied. “Oh, and I spoke to HR on your behalf---”

Chloe gasped. “Lois, you didn’t!”

Lois smirked. “I did. They remember you from before, and they’d be delighted to have you come in for a ‘quick chat’.” Her grin widened. “Personally, I think that’s code for ‘we miss you, and we’d love to have you back’, but that’s just me.”

Oliver frowned in confusion, as did Clark. “Back where?” they echoed in unison.

Lois rolled her eyes in exasperation. “The Daily Planet, fools, where else?” she retorted.

This time, Oliver’s brows shot upwards. “You’re going back to the Planet?” he said, staring at her with wide eyes. “When did this happen?”

Chloe sighed. “Long story, I’ll fill you in over cake and champagne,” she replied. “And I haven’t definitely said I’m going back there yet---”

“But you will,” he said with a confident smile as he brushed her nose with his fingertip. “I know you will.”

“Why does everyone keep saying that?” she said in a huff.

“Because it’s where you belong,” Clark simply said. “Hasn’t been the same without you.”

Lois nodded. “I concur,” she said matter-of-factly. “And I can’t wait until we’re all back working under the same roof again. Of course, you haven’t definitively said you’re coming back, but...”

“Okay, enough with the possibly pending job change!” Chloe pleaded. “Can we cut this cake now?”

“Oh, please,” Lois said, and handed her the gilded knife before going to pick up her camera. “Ready? Don’t forget to make a wish!”

“That’s for birthday cakes, Lois,” Clark cut in, and she waved her hand at him dismissively.

“It’s for cakes, period,” she replied stubbornly. “Okay, you two – go for it!”

Oliver placed his hand over his wife’s, and together they cut the cake as Lois took a commemorative photo.

“So, what did you wish for?” Lois asked.

“That’s between me and my husband,” Chloe declared with a grin, and Lois rolled her eyes.

“Oh, pass the sick bucket,” she grumbled. “Or better yet, pass the plates, and get slicing. Clark, you’re on champagne-popping duty.”

As after-parties went, this was the best one Oliver Queen had ever attended.

There were speeches and toasts and well-wishes from the two people who cared for them the most, and the smile on his wife’s face told him she couldn’t be happier.

Lois had let go of her grudge, and seemed a lot more at peace with herself, and Clark was clearly more relaxed that he’d been in months – and out of that godawful all-black wardrobe. Confession had certainly been good for his soul.

Oliver sat on the couch and pulled his wife into his lap before snagging her champagne flute for a sip of bubbly. “You okay?” he whispered, and she nodded.

“Never better.”

He smiled. “You didn’t have to wish to be back at the DP, you know,” he whispered. “That’s gonna happen regardless.”

She giggled and shrugged one shoulder. “You’re not saying that because you happen to be the CEO of the company, are you?”

“No, I’m saying it because I know how good you are, and how much you really want this,” he said seriously. “You don’t need me to get this job for you, Chloe.”

“So you’re not gonna fiddle with my application, or give me any special privileges?” she asked, and he shook his head.

“Like I said, I don’t need to,” he said warmly. “Let me know when you’re back under the spinning globe, and we’ll go celebrate.”

Her eyes softened, and she pressed her fingertips to his heart. “Did I tell you I love you yet?” she asked in a soft whisper.

He smiled, captured her fingers and brought them to his lips for a kiss before answering.

“Only everyday.”

They grinned at each other, and then looked up as Clark approached and took a seat beside them.

“So, how about you two tell us all about your lovely honeymoon?” Clark asked as he bit into a hefty chunk of his third slice of triple layered chocolate cake.

Lois groaned and shook her head. “You don’t want to know all about that honeymoon, Clark,” she warned. “Trust me.”

You were better to me than I was to myself
                  For me, there's you and nobody else
                  I want to stop and thank you baby…
                  …How sweet it is to be loved by you

- James Taylor, How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

The End.

Coming soon: Beauty in the Breakdown X: Snow Angel
                  Last edited by BabyDee; 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Just finished reading the entire Beauty in the Breakdown series!

Absolutely love them all, especially This one and Living Life!!!

Love Ollie and Chloe married and settling into their new life together! Glad they finally got Lois on their side!

Love that Oliver convinced Clark to fess up to Chloe and that after making him sweat, figuratively(!), she forgave him!

Chloe is so pregnant! Why else would u mention the fact that her period was lighter than usual? Anyways, that's what i'm hoping for!!!

When do we get Snow Angel?

Comment

Originally posted by ChlarkForever87
                      Just finished reading the entire Beauty in the Breakdown series!
                      My first comment, WOOT!!!

Absolutely love them all, especially This one and Living Life!!!
                      YAY! So glad you liked it, my sweet. Thank so much for reviewing!

L
                      ove Ollie and Chloe married and settling into their new life together! Glad they finally got Lois on their side!
                      Now that they've all talked everything over, there'll be no more problems from Clark et al.

Love that Oliver convinced Clark to fess up to Chloe and that after making him sweat, figuratively(!), she forgave him!
                      She should have made him sweat more, in my opinion! But I guess she just wanted to make a fresh start and let go of everything from the past. Hence, Beauty in the Breakdown.

Chloe is so pregnant! Why else would u mention the fact that her period was lighter than usual? Anyways, that's what i'm hoping for!!!
                      *whistles innocently* Not saying nuffing!!!

When do we get Snow Angel?
                      Well, I need to update my other WIPs (4 of them), then I need to return to the Funsies Chlollie-'verse with a few oneshots, and I'm doing Secret_Chlark and 2 stories for the Smallville Big Bang, so I have to work on all of those before I circle back to this series. But fingers crossed it will jump the queue at some point, as the rest of the series has done so far. This one just seems to want to write itself out of me, and I know exactly how I want Snow Angel to go, so....we'll see!

Thanks again for your lovely review, babes. I really appreciate it! *hugs*

Comment

YAY! My Beauty in the Breakdown Series was nominated in the 2012 Smallville Fandom Appreciation Awards for Best Series and Best Chlollie Fanfic:

And I'm thrilled to say that it won Best Chlollie Fanfiction!!!

Congratulations to all my fellow nominees, and very many thanks to phoenixnz & jlvsclrk for all their hard work organising the awards, and to ctbn60 for all the amazing banners she made!

Last but not least, thanks to everyone who voted for me; it means the world.

Comment

I'm loving this series so much. I'm a huge Chloe/Oliver fan and this series is working out my frustrations the show never resolved. I can't wait to read the next part and see if Chloe is prego.

Comment

Originally posted by tatie87
                            I'm loving this series so much. I'm a huge Chloe/Oliver fan and this series is working out my frustrations the show never resolved.
                            It's like you read my mind! I find it very cathartic, getting to write my own endings to Chlollie and do some housekeeping along the way with issues that the writers conveniently 'forgot.'

I can't wait to read the next part and see if Chloe is prego.
                            It'll be a while before I return to this series as I have a ton of fanfic (and real life) commitments that have to take pre-eminence for now. But I'll certainly be back to do this series justice!

Thanks so much for your encouraging words, Tatie - I really appreciate it, and I'm so glad you like the series!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎