No announcement yet.

Would it get canceled today?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it get canceled today?

I think it's safe to say that the pilot is one of SV's best episodes, but maybe that's just because of its nostalgic factor for us.

Do you think if Smallville was a new show today, do you think its pilot would impress people today, or do you think it would get canceled?

No I think history would stay the same.

Comment

Honestly, looking at it the effects and stuff are a little older looking now, but I still think it would hold up well. It's the way the story was present that reached people. They did an amazing job with the pilot and I know a few friends of mine who recently watched the pilot with me and fell in love with the show, knowing nothing about Superman or the comics. So it does hold up pretty well. I think it would probably get about the same reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
        Originally posted by Genny
        Honestly, looking at it the effects and stuff are a little older looking now, but I still think it would hold up well. It's the way the story was present that reached people. They did an amazing job with the pilot and I know a few friends of mine who recently watched the pilot with me and fell in love with the show, knowing nothing about Superman or the comics. So it does hold up pretty well. I think it would probably get about the same reaction.
        I agree the effects may have been different 10 years ago, yet the message is still the same everyone has within them the power to be a super person to inspire to lead by example and doing what is right not just for yourself that to help others and that's what smallville did and still does of Jonathan Kent said, always hold on to smallville, true was just a TV series however and showed everyone young and old guy matter everyone has the power to be a hero super powered are not it doesn't matter if you're rich were just an average person everyone in his or her own way can make the world better I believe smallville. That message very well so yes I believe the show's history would still be the same.

Comment

I don't think the show would last 10 years if it started now. If you look over the past decade it seems the ratings for network TV has just gotten worse(if you look over the early part of the decade it was normal for the top shows to break 20M viewers regularly, now I think only one show does that on a regular basis). I think Smallville just happened at the right time(just before the dawn of other media such as itunes, online streaming or even torrent files) on the right network(a young upstart network looking for it's niche) to last as long as it did. If a bigger network picked it up I don't think they would have as much patience keeping it on since it would cater only to a niche audience that was bellow most of their top rated shows, while if the CW picked it up it might stay on a few more years(see Vampire Diaries which is safe on the network breaking only 3M viewers) but even then come later season it probably would drop that that point that it's not profitable(I think the reason Smallville lasted so long was that it hooked so many viewers in those earlier years who were still buying DVDs in the later years, if Smallville started out with 4M viewers instead of say 7M like it did in S1, I don't think it would have gotten quite as much revenue from other sources)

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
            Ditto

Comment

1st post on this forum HI!

this was an amazing episode! & if smallville was released today, i think it would still be a huge success

Comment

Welcome KE_O_K.

I agree.

Comment

I say toss up.

Keep in mind, this thing started airing really, really soon after 9/11. We here in America desperately wanted some kind of hope that things were going to be all right again. Just seeing that people could could produce and broadcast something like Smallville gave us a bit of reassurance that everything hadn't gone to hell after all.
                  In the ten years following the pilot, we learned to relax a little, and found Smallville a great diversion from our worries. These characters--Clark, Lana, Lois, Lex, Jonathan, Martha, Lionel, Oliver, Tess, Jimmy and the rest became friends.
                  If it started up in 2014 I'm not sure it would have the same impact. Yes, we're worried about tomorrow, and are concerned with political positions that effect us. But no matter if you're a conservative or liberal, you're not worried that those on the other side are planning to kill you in your sleep or if you go to the mall.
                  Then again, good stories are good stories no matter what is going on in our lives. Shakespeare isn't considered to be any less enjoyable now than earlier. Same for everything from "Twilight Zone" to "Gilligan's Island".

To paraphrase a great naval hero, we likes what we likes and that's all that we likes.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎