No announcement yet.

Emma's powers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emma's powers

Sorry if this was brought up in a different thread. When I glanced through them, I didn't notice it. If Emma has the ability to know if someone is telling the truth or not, why didn't she suspect that Sidney was lying to her?

I'm wondering as well... I can think of 3 options: either Emma played both Sydney and the audience, and she doesn't really believe him. Or she doesn't really have that "superpower", only a strong instinct and she didn't notice Sydney was lying because he played his part perfectly. Or maybe a part of Sydney believed what he said about Regina, so he wasn't really lying.

Either way, I hope they'll explain this!

Comment

Originally posted by Costanza
      I'm wondering as well... I can think of 3 options: either Emma played both Sydney and the audience, and she doesn't really believe him. Or she doesn't really have that "superpower", only a strong instinct and she didn't notice Sydney was lying because he played his part perfectly. Or maybe a part of Sydney believed what he said about Regina, so he wasn't really lying.

Either way, I hope they'll explain this!
      To be honest, I never thought she had a "superpower". I think that she tells kids she has a superpower to see if they are actually lying to her or not. In my opinion, she just knows people, and is used to read them. Sometimes she is spot on (usually with kids), sometimes she doesn't see it.

I mean, we have seen her being lied to before without noticing. Regina has lied to her, by confinding in her that she was worried about Henry only so that Henry would listen to Emma telling Regina she believed Henry was imagining it all. (Episode 4, I think) Sheriff Grahan told her that he was going to work in the animal shelter and asked her to take the night shift, so that he could sleep with Regina, and she didn't realize he was lying. Ruby lied to her about Ashley, to help her, and she also didn't see it, until she found out the truth. Mr. Gold has lied to her repeatedly and played her, and still, most of the times, she doesn't see it. A good example of what I mean was the way he played her in the election.

Honestly, IMO, there is no superpower. It was just something she tells kids in order to "test" them, and see if they are telling her the truth.
      Last edited by liana; 02-02-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

^^^ Excellent points. What through me off is in the premiere, I thought they were making a point to the audience that Emma can tell if people are telling the truth or not. It seemed to be reinforced by having Emma asking Regina if she loves Henry or not. After Regina claimed she did, Emma seemed disbelieving and that is why she decided to stay in town.

Maybe Emma can tell if someone is telling the truth only if she gives them complete attention. Here ability to tell if someone is lying is from her years of experience from reading people and determining from body language and other clues if they are lying. If she has no reason to believe someone is lying, her antenna of perception doesn't go up and she can fall for the lie.

But I must admit, I did like the idea that she had a "gift" to be able to determine if people are telling the truth or not.

Comment

As with any ability/power or strong perceptional talent a person can miss the mark or falter at times. I think it's a power in the sense its a strong skill she has. But as pointed out if she isn't giving it her all or seeing the signs to tell her other wise she can miss the lie. The thing is tho if Sidney is just out right lying to her he has to tread carefully or she'll catch on. Regina has lied to her successfully but it gets harder for Regina to pull it off..it means she is constantly having to up how she handles Emma. Her lies have to be more elaborate or she has to try other tactics..such as manipulation with the truth or threats.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎