Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mary Margaret and David's Kiss: Do you consider it "cheating"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteelyGal
    I think at first both were fighting their feelings for each other because they felt it was wrong to act on them because he was married. It is one thing to have feelings for someone and another to act on them. Now that they have acted on them, I will be bothered if David does not break up with Kathryn and even more so if he makes her think he wants to make the marriage work while hooking up with MM. I understand the curse is doing a mind whammy on these people but still hope they don't go that route with these characters.
    ITA.

Comment

MOD NOTE:

I realize this is somewhat of a controversial topic, but please respect the opinions of others, even if you disagree.

Carry on discussing the topic of this thread.

Comment

I guess it comes down to morality vs. legality. Legally, they are not cheating because David is not married to Kathryn. Morally he IS cheating because he THINKS he is married to her.

Legally, MM and David cheated on each other. She slept with Dr. Whale and he slept with Kathryn. Morally, they didn't know they were cheating because they didn't know they were married.

This is so messed up! LOL!

Comment

Interesting questions since they are married but he's also married to someone else... so I guess it depends on what world view you take and how you define cheating... but I suppose no matter how you look at it he kinda cheated on someone...

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
            Interesting questions since they are married but he's also married to someone else... so I guess it depends on what world view you take and how you define cheating... but I suppose no matter how you look at it he kinda cheated on someone...
            I definitely think you're right in how it comes down to the perspective.

I was grappling with this last night because I was chatting with a friend of mine and I told her "But, Snow and Charming are the REAL married couple!" and she responded with "But, they're not Snow and Charming in Storybooke"...which I have a problem with.

David and Mary Margaret ARE Charming and Snow. They may not have those names in Storybrooke. They may not have memories of who they REALLY were. But, they ARE Snow and Charming. Their past in Fairy Tale Land does NOT go away. Otherwise, you could make the claim that Emma isn't REALLY their daughter because they're not REALLY Snow and Charming, who are her parents. And, then the whole "your destiny is to bring back the Happy Endings" becomes useless and irrelevant because you wouldn't consider her to be the princess meant to save Fairy Tale Land, if that makes any sense.

So...then I struggle with the perspective of "Well, in the Storybrooke reality they are living in, David should really try to work it out with Kathryn because she's his wife there" because if he IS Charming and Mary Margaret is Snow, his REAL wife, isn't trying to work it out with Kathryn cheating on Snow?

I totally agree that either way you look at it, someone is cheating on someone, so I've finally just kind of come to the conclusion (after being so conflicted) that I'm rooting for the real married couple to rediscover their love.

Originally posted by BAMAGIRL
            This is so messed up! LOL!
            SO messed up.
            Last edited by savingpeoplething; 01-25-2012, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by savingpeoplething
              I definitely think you're right in how it comes down to the perspective.

I was grappling with this last night because I was chatting with a friend of mine and I told her "But, Snow and Charming are the REAL married couple!" and she responded with "But, they're not Snow and Charming in Storybooke"...which I have a problem with.

David and Mary Margaret ARE Charming and Snow. They may not have those names in Storybrooke. They may not have memories of who they REALLY were. But, they ARE Snow and Charming. Their past in Fairy Tale Land does NOT go away. Otherwise, you could make the claim that Emma isn't REALLY their daughter because they're not REALLY Snow and Charming, who are her parents. And, then the whole "your destiny is to bring back the Happy Endings" becomes useless and irrelevant because you wouldn't consider her to be the princess meant to save Fairy Tale Land, if that makes any sense.

So...then I struggle with the perspective of "Well, in the Storybrooke reality they are living in, David should really try to work it out with Kathryn because she's his wife there" because if he IS Charming and Mary Margaret is Snow, his REAL wife, isn't trying to work it out with Kathryn cheating on Snow?

I totally agree that either way you look at it, someone is cheating on someone, so I've finally just kind of come to the conclusion (after being so conflicted) that I'm rooting for the real married couple to rediscover their love.
              I am rooting for them to rediscover their love as well, but I just want them to do it the honorable way. There is nothing stopping David from telling Kathryn he wants to break up with her. Nothing. As Mary Margareth stated herself, he made a choice to stay with Kathryn and make things work. Well, as we saw, it didn't work, and he wasn't able to forget Mary Margareth. The honorable thing to do would have been telling Kathryn that things were not working up between them. I mean, Kathryn herself introduced the topic and it was the perfect opportunity to tell her. Sure, Mary Margareth had told him that they should give up, but he knew how he felt, and he knew Kathryn was telling the truth.

But he didn't. I am willing to cut them some slack, and accept that maybe he meant what he told Kathryn and just couldn't stop himself when he saw Mary Margareth again. Maybe he really believed that was "Fate" telling them they should be together and kissing her was an spur of the moment thing. Ok. I accept that, provided he goes to Kathryn right after and tell her what happened and break up with her. IF he doesn't and he still keeps telling her that he is committed to make things work between them, well, it would be "cheating" to me. As Borednow stated, no matter how you look at the situation, there is cheating involved. It is why the Curse is so evil.

Originally posted by savingpeoplething
              SO messed up.
              Completely, I agree.
              Last edited by liana; 01-28-2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by liana
                I am rooting for them to rediscover their love as well, but I just want them to do it the honorable way. There is nothing stopping David from telling Kathryn he wants to break up with her. Nothing. As Mary Margareth stated herself, he made a choice to stay with Kathryn and make things work. Well, as we saw, it didn't work, and he wasn't able to forget Mary Margareth. The honorable thing to do would have been telling Kathryn that things were not working up between them. I mean, Kathryn herself introduced the topic and it was the perfect opportunity to tell her. Sure, Mary Margareth had told him that they should give up, but he knew how he felt, and he knew Kathryn was telling the truth.

But he didn't. I am willing to cut them some slack, and accept that maybe he meant what he told Kathryn and just couldn't stop himself when he saw Mary Margareth again. Maybe he really belived that was "Fate" telling them they should be together and kissing her was an spur of the moment thing. Ok. I accept that, provided he goes to Kathryn right after and tell her what happened and break up with her. IF he doesn't and he still keeps telling her that he is committed to make things work between them, well, it would be "cheating" to me. As Borednow stated, no matter how you look at the situation, there is cheating involved. It is why the Curse is so evil.
                Great comment and I agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎