No announcement yet.

Saving The CW

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Kevin Reilly?

Yup I remember the book. Havent read it for awhile though. Ill definitely reread it again soon though.

Oh yeah shes head of MTV. Forgot about that. Not doing too bad of a job either. I like more of their programming than I did a few years back. I do wish theyd show more music videos throughout the day though. Seems like if u want to see them u have to stay up or get up at 3am. Calling TRL. Like I said CW would be wise to capitalize on TRL not being on MTV. Team with iHeartRadio and make a show. Could be a smart move.

If they need someone to succeed Pedowitz I think Garth Ancier would be good. He knows how to run a network and didnt do a bad job when Smallville was running hot. If hes interested he would be a very good candidate.

Comment

• Kevin Reilly was a smart guy... some scheduling issues, but I think he was a good forward thinker.

Comment

• Garth Ancier might not be a good bet to come back these days. For one, he was also there when WB ran itself into the ground... he's the one who wanted to get rid of the frog... but also, he's recently been accused of sexual molestation by the same person who accused Bryan Singer. Even if he didn't do it - and he probably didn't - they won't want him as the president of a network for young people right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by KSiteTV
          Kevin Reilly was a smart guy... some scheduling issues, but I think he was a good forward thinker.
          Word is he was let go because he didn't see eye-to-eye with Peter Rice. Reilly even renewed Almost Human for a second season, but Rice vetoed him.

And yet, industry insiders weren’t completely shocked Thursday when the news of Reilly’s exit broke. That’s because, just weeks after Reilly talked to us, reports started trickling in that Rice and Reilly weren’t seeing eye to eye on some decisions.

Multiple sources tell Vulture that, during the late April/early May process of deciding what Fox’s new schedule would be, Reilly had, almost reluctantly, chosen to order 13 more episodes of the critically loved freshman comedy Enlisted. He also made the no-brainer call to bring back the J.J. Abrams–produced modest hit Almost Human for a second season. And yet, according to multiple accounts, Rice essentially vetoed Reilly’s decisions in both cases. Rice’s thinking on Enlisted, according to people familiar with the situation, was that the show wasn’t likely to ever be a big hit, so why should the network sink more money into it, even if the show came from in-house production company 20th Century Fox TV? (The fact that Reilly had previously indicated zero interest in Enlisted made it hard for him to dispute Rice’s logic.)

As for Almost Human, while the show’s ratings might have warranted renewal, it was a very costly series produced by a competing showbiz behemoth (Time Warner–owned Warner Bros. TV). If WBTV wasn’t going to cut its price for the show, Rice, according to sources, saw no season to bring back a marginal hit, particularly since Reilly had already gone to bat for, and renewed, two low-rated comedies produced by outside companies (The Mindy Project and Brooklyn Nine-Nine).

Comment

• Sad because Ancier was the man who apologized for Jordan Levin cancelling Angel.

Who would u guys suggest as a replacement for Pedowitz?

Comment

• Originally posted by Austin 3:16
              Sad because Ancier was the man who apologized for Jordan Levin cancelling Angel.

Who would u guys suggest as a replacement for Pedowitz?
              Susanne Daniels but that's dreaming, haha.

But really... he's got the network on the upswing so I don't think they need to even think about a replacement right now. I think worst case scenario, The CW could end at a certain point if the affiliates drop off, though.

There is still some work to be done, and I'm sure some of it is beyond his control. I think the network still needs to break into half hour comedies successfully. They're cheaper and could be profitable in the long run. It'd also keep them from constantly double-pumping Whose Line Is It Anyway. Also, I feel The CW right now has the opposite problem they did under Ostroff - almost everything is genre in some way, which means stuff like Hart of Dixie isn't even scheduled and Jane The Virgin, while a really fun pilot, could get lost in the shuffle on Monday nights.

CW Tuesdays are going to be amazing, though. I think they'll have their highest ratings ever with the Flash/Supernatural combo.

Comment

• I agree Craig. I think theyll get the scheduling thing worked out though and I hope its sooner than later. The Flash and Supernatural should be for CW what lineups like Buffy and Angel and Gilmore Girls and Smallville were for WB. Ratings gold if I ever saw it.

I do think itd be smart if they did a soundtrack for Supernatural. I know the former people in charge aka Demon O vetoed that but Pedowitz has gone on record as saying hes a huge SPN fan. Lately theyve been having some more music on the show. It might be a great idea to do a soundtrack now especially since I can only imagine that with season 10 coming up, they've accumulated quite a bit of music that could go into not just one compilation but a couple.

Comment

• It seems that the BFCA has been disappointed with the ratings they have been getting on The CW, and are moving them to a different network.
                  There is also the factor of a new broadcast partner as The CW, which has carried the show for the past two years (after previous stints with VH1 and E) is no longer going to be involved . Last night’s TV awards was also the first – and apparently last – broadcast for that show as well on The CW. The BFCA/BFJA (same group of execs) has yet to announce its new broadcast outlet but I am told it’s a done deal and the group is excited about it. Reliable sources tell me A&E networks will be the new partner.
                  http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/even...awards-season/

Comment

• I don't think more music will be returning to Supernatural anytime soon. As a show gets older they want to spend less money on it because other things (Actors, crew, etc. who all get raises) take up more of the budget. You'll notice Smallville rarely used music in the later days like they did originally.

Pedowitz can be as big of a fan as he wants, but he's not going to throw more money at the show if it's not needed.

Comment

I don't think more music will be returning to Supernatural anytime soon. As a show gets older they want to spend less money on it because other things (Actors, crew, etc. who all get raises) take up more of the budget. You'll notice Smallville rarely used music in the later days like they did originally.
                      As much as I love Supernatural, these recent seasons have looked very cheap.

Pedowitz can be as big of a fan as he wants, but he's not going to throw more money at the show if it's not needed.
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's even Pedowitz's decision. Warner Bros. budgets the show based on the license fee they charge CW, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by gmster
                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's even Pedowitz's decision. Warner Bros. budgets the show based on the license fee they charge CW, right?
                        Yeah, BUT I do know networks have become involved at times, too. The interview I recently did with Jason Rothenberg, showrunner of The 100, for example: He mentioned the network gave them more money to do some big scenes in the finale.

But you are right. WB mostly controls the budget. And if they can make an extra few thousand profit without the music, they'll go that route. As long as they keep "Carry On My Wayward Son" in every finale, I'm okay with it.

Comment

• Same here. It always makes me happy whenever the season finale begins with that song. Remember the rumors that they were gonna change that a few seasons back? Yeah the fans werent open to it. I think thats the main thing about the season finales they cant touch or else the fans would riot.

Was the awards show u were talking about the Critics Choice? I tried watching last night and sorry but it was painful. Cedric The Entertainer seemed uncomfortable to be there. Why not just let Jared and Jensen host? In the photo on the app for the show from last year I think they are the focus. Let them have a shot. Either that or if they need to have someone who can improv let Wayne Brady host.

Comment

Cedric The Entertainer seemed uncomfortable to be there. Why not just let Jared and Jensen host? In the photo on the app for the show from last year I think they are the focus. Let them have a shot. Either that or if they need to have someone who can improv let Wayne Brady host.
                            Easy: They might not want to. Jensen is known for being really shy (you wouldn't know from BTS stuff, but he is) and both of the guys have really young kids, I think, that they probably want to spend most of their summers with. Why take on the added responsibility when they're not interested?

Comment

Easy: They might not want to. Jensen is known for being really shy (you wouldn't know from BTS stuff, but he is) and both of the guys have really young kids, I think, that they probably want to spend most of their summers with. Why take on the added responsibility when they're not interested?
                              Good point. Still though Cedric seemed like he was uncomfortable being there. Jim Parsons did such a great job maybe they should consider giving him the hosting gig later on if he wants to.

Comment

Good point. Still though Cedric seemed like he was uncomfortable being there. Jim Parsons did such a great job maybe they should consider giving him the hosting gig later on if he wants to.
                                Considering how few watch the Critic's Choice Awards, I can't see why he would want to.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎