No announcement yet.

Saving The CW

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving The CW

Since this has been rolling around in my brain for awhile, I figured I should start a topic about it. Everyone say how you would save The CW. If u don't like the network, say what you would do. If u like it, great but tell us why and if u would do anything.

First thing I would do is bring back Michigan J. Frog! Michigan was THE quintessential mascot for The WB. Rather ironic since at one point, it was going to be Bugs Bunny! They changed that to Michigan before the network's launch because Bugs was everywhere and they wanted to give our favorite green guy a shot. Think it worked well too.

One day, it was decided that Michigan would be retired since the heads of The WB decided it was time to steer towards a larger demographic than just teens like they had catered to b4. So unfortunately, after his retirement Michigan would have only one more Froggy Evening: the final night of WB programming. The WB's Night Of Favorites and Farewells returned Michigan to life but barely. He was only in one nostalgic ad and at the end, tipping his hat in silhouette at the end of the night and the network. Between his retirement and the end of the net, that's the only time he was mentioned. Nice huh?

Ever since the launch of CW, something has been missing. The logo is already green so why not give the brand a more comfortable image? Bring back the Frog! Just from a press release saying he would be back, I think most of the fans of the old WB Network would tune in to see what would be done. So I say bring him back and have us Watch The Frog!

Step 1: Revive Michigan J. Frog as the spokesman and image of The CW!
    Last edited by Austin 3:16; 01-11-2012, 03:20 PM.

Maybe not have so many shows on there about teens having sex and drinking. And not so many dark shows. I know they just added Hart of Dixie, which is great, though I'm not a huge fan of the acting or writing.

Comment

That's a good idea Sugar! WB had great variety so go back to that right?

Comment

I agree about the teenybopper shows. They need to broaden their appeal and I think they are trying to do that with Hart of Dixie and Ringer. I'm not so sure about the frog mascot, but they do need to put some serious thought into a stylish logo.

Comment

We don't have CW here in England, so I can't really make any valid contributions but...one thing I do know is that it's website is not available for users to watch spoilers outside of the USA which I think is a really dumb thing to do! Many people from all over the world watched Smallville and still watch Supernatural....to inhibit it's content is a sign that it doesn't really know or want to reach a wider audience....Sorry for going off-topic

Comment

I think also bringing back New Tuesday and Big Sunday could work too.

You didn't go off topic at all! I like your opinion and agree. The people in charge need to broaden their outlook.

Comment

Maybe it's being run by dinosaurs! Who need to come and live in the modern world.

Comment

If Dawn O was still in charge, id say that's pretty much true lol! The new guy in charge is trying but I think its gonna take awhile to notice change.

Id also say that since CW is greenlighting Cult, maybe they should take another look @ the Aquaman series that Dawn passed on.
                Last edited by Austin 3:16; 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I remember watching the pilot for Aquaman...it was all right, I would watch it....

Comment

Same here. That pilot got the best reviews from all fans and we were all stunned and ticked when Dawn turned it down because it wasn't a show she helped to create or something to that deal. They need a new Smallville so they should look at it again.

Comment

Originally posted by starflower69
                      Maybe it's being run by dinosaurs! Who need to come and live in the modern world.
                      Sidebar: I tried to watch Merlin on the BBC One website and couldn't because I wasn't in England, so I think that's pretty standard. Back to saving CW.

Comment

Like what Brendan and I have discussed I think the CW needs a mass reconstruction which includes ending and/or canceling most of the shows currently on the schedule. Than during the summer reinventing and than promoting the network as a brand new CW. I'M sure there are plenty of scripts out there that are awaiting a network to give them a chance. But certainly the scripts need to be edgy, original and catered to everyone not just one specific demographic.

Comment

I don't know if they could bring back the frog for reasons I said in the Cult thread - really, "bringing back the WB" would be my top choice... but here are some ideas from my perspective:

- Try to get sitcoms, but actually funny ones. They're allegedly going to try that. But a show like New Girl or something, on The CW, would have been fun. And Reba was actually one of the CW's top rated shows when they burned it off on Sundays. But the key is, for the sitcoms to not be crap.

- A better logo. A better name would be better.

- Stop trying to build hits off of past successes. I think part of the issue with The CW, is they try to mix the formula of what works instead of being bold and daring. The Secret Circle, for example, despite its cast which I do like, seems to mostly be "let's try to replicate the success of Vampire Diaries but without the charm or the good characters." Then again I'm a hypocrite... first order of business for me would be to create a Smallville-like show about either Batman or Wonder Woman.

- On that same note, though, The WB did put on some things that weren't exactly like what we'd seen before. The WB pre-Smallville, I mean. Remember that Dead Last show they showed the summer before SV premiered? I liked that random stuff.

That's where I'd get started. That Cult show is a good start, but for every Cult, there's a "Carrie Diaries"... ugh.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

I also agree that a lot of the shows are aging and need to end, but the problem is, nothing better is on to take those shows' places. And as much as I love, say, Nikita, it's not pulling the ratings it needs to. And do we really need a Top Model Cycle 32 when out of 32 "seasons" they've never actually gotten a noteworthy model?
                          Last edited by KSiteTV; 01-11-2012, 08:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yeah definitely a great idea and I would also make Supernatural the main show. Like darkphoenix21 and I have been discussing, the main thought suggested would be to wait until the season finale of Supernatural airs and then have a network wide shutdown. That way, u have the whole summer to revamp and relaunch as a new network. During the summer, air Supernatural once a wk. During the last few wks before the relaunch, after the Supernatural eps end, have msgs that say "Coming Soon, Welcome Back home!" Yes, the WB would be capitalized for a reason in that statement.

The final wk before, air this season's finale of SPN. As soon as that ep ends, screen fades to black. White letters come up saying something like THE CW with a birthdate. That fades and is replaced by a deathdate. Then this msg appears:

All summer we have promised u a relaunch. U have earned it. Welcome Back home.

The home part and all letters fade except for WB. They get closer together and The appears before them. That fades away. The silhouette of Michigan J. Frog appears and then, he steps out and sings his familiar song! At the end he asks "Did you miss me?!?!"

He fades away and the new WB logo appears with the following afterwards:

See you next wk!

SPN season premiere promo airs and at the end it says "The new season. Next week on The New WB. Welcome Back Home."

How's that sound?

Oh and btw, I wouldn't even air CW 4 Kids during the rest period. That would return as Kids' WB!

KSiteTV I agree. We need smething like Dead Last. That was a great show that was aired during the summer. They weren't able to air all the eps either. Show that during the summer too.

Not only that but the animated shows were cool too. Stuff like Mission Hill, The Oblongs and Baby Blues were fantastic. Look how well they do on Adult Swim. Those shows were cool before their time.
                            Last edited by Austin 3:16; 01-11-2012, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
                              Yeah definitely a great idea and I would also make Supernatural the main show. Like darkphoenix21 and I have been discussing, the main thought suggested would be to wait until the season finale of Supernatural airs and then have a network wide shutdown. That way, u have the whole summer to revamp and relaunch as a new network. During the summer, air Supernatural once a wk. During the last few wks before the relaunch, after the Supernatural eps end, have msgs that say "Coming Soon, Welcome Back home!" Yes, the WB would be capitalized for a reason in that statement.

The final wk before, air this season's finale of SPN. As soon as that ep ends, screen fades to black. White letters come up saying something like THE CW with a birthdate. That fades and is replaced by a deathdate. Then this msg appears:

All summer we have promised u a relaunch. U have earned it. Welcome Back home.

The home part and all letters fade except for WB. They get closer together and The appears before them. That fades away. The silhouette of Michigan J. Frog appears and then, he steps out and sings his familiar song! At the end he asks "Did you miss me?!?!"

He fades away and the new WB logo appears with the following afterwards:

See you next wk!

SPN season premiere promo airs and at the end it says "The new season. Next week on The New WB. Welcome Back Home."

How's that sound?

Oh and btw, I wouldn't even air CW 4 Kids during the rest period. That would return as Kids' WB!

KSiteTV I agree. We need smething like Dead Last. That was a great show that was aired during the summer. They weren't able to air all the eps either. Show that during the summer too.

I disagree. Supernatural is dead. The show that is carrying that network right now is The Vampire Diaries. Why would they keep a dead show and get rid of their most popular. I realize most people don't like this, but one of the reason I like the CW is because it does create shows for a young audience. And they're the only network that creates supernatural type shows and doesn't cancel them 2 seconds after. I like that, because that's the stuff I like to watch. I don't want it to be completely dark stuff, since that gets a bit depressing after awhile. That's why I like shows like the Gilmore Girls as well. Lately the family channel has been doing better with the teen shows.

I agree with what Craig said.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎