Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving The CW

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh just had a thought! CW should also debut the new animated DC Universe direct-to-DVD movies on Saturday nights every once in awhile. Think about it. Cartoons for kids in the morning and cartoons for older kids later at night. They have a couple of these movies already released anyway so one a month right now would be a cool event every month of the yr. Would anyone else like to see that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Caught_In_The_Sun
      Another thing is...I know networks like reality TV cause it is cheap...
      True story. I really can't stand reality shows. IMO, they are not entertainment, just poorly scripted crap pushing people I don't want to see or know (like Snooki) on TV viewers who are apparently becoming less and less discriminating about what they'll watch.

Comment

I think the best reality show is Cops. I wouldn't mind seeing a show like that on The CW.

Comment

There is a band called Fun that does a song titled We Are Young. I don't know if anyone has heard the song but I think most of it would make a great new theme for The New CW. Remember they used to have a campaign using Oh What A Night? The tagline was "The Night Is Young And So Are We" or something to that effect.

If Mark is serious about going back to the roots of The WB, I think the song is a great way to capitalize on that. The TV To Talk About campaign is ok but I think it reminds people too much of the Ostroff Era.

We Are Young. The New CW. Has a nice ring to it. Even better if a certain froggy mascot was allowed to return.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
            Oh just had a thought! CW should also debut the new animated DC Universe direct-to-DVD movies on Saturday nights every once in awhile. Think about it. Cartoons for kids in the morning and cartoons for older kids later at night. They have a couple of these movies already released anyway so one a month right now would be a cool event every month of the yr. Would anyone else like to see that happen?
            There is a band called Fun that does a song titled We Are Young. I don't know if anyone has heard the song but I think most of it would make a great new theme for The New CW. Remember they used to have a campaign using Oh What A Night? The tagline was "The Night Is Young And So Are We" or something to that effect.

If Mark is serious about going back to the roots of The WB, I think the song is a great way to capitalize on that. The TV To Talk About campaign is ok but I think it reminds people too much of the Ostroff Era.

We Are Young. The New CW. Has a nice ring to it. Even better if a certain froggy mascot was allowed to return.
            totally agree it woould be cool

Comment

Ty. I'm always trying to think of ways for CW to improve themselves. I think a lot of people r wanting CW to improve u know?

Comment

I think a big factor for The WB, which I don't think The CW will ever have, is they had the best Saturday morning cartoons. Those kids watching the cartoons grew up and became teenagers and watched The WB's primetime. It was a great marketing plan. But I think The WB didn't know what to do when those teens were no longer teens... and getting rid of the Frog was not the answer.

I think Top Model should go away too, but for whatever reason they want to stay in business with Tyra. Maybe they'll surprise us. I'm assuming it'll be back.

What I think they "should" do isn't so much what I want them to do. I really like Nikita, but I don't think it'll be back. I also hate Gossip Girl but I expect it to have a sixth, final season while the actors are still contracted.

Here's my dream schedule, again, I know some of these shows aren't that great, but they're predictions just the same:

Monday
                8:00 Gossip Girl - final season
                9:00 The Carrie Diaries - can pick up on the GG audience and ultimately replace it. I think the show sounds bad but I know it has a ready-made audience, and they're not going to give up sexed-up rich girls forever.

Tuesday
                8:00 Hart of Dixie
                9:00 Arrow

Basically, bringing back the same feel The WB had in 2001, with Gilmore Girls and Smallville making the network's strongest night. Tuesdays at 9PM used to be huge. This could bring that back, even though the tone of the shows is different.

Wednesday
                8:00 - 90210, final season, maybe only 13 episodes
                9:00 Top Model, if it must continue

90210 is really close to 100 episodes, so may as well let it get to that point. If 90210 or Top Model aren't back maybe The Secret Circle could go there. Whatever it is will be thrown under the XFactor/American Idol bus anyway.

Thursday
                8:00 Vampire Diaries
                9:00 Cult - this show sounds like a pulpy hit. Although, that "romance in the future" show announced yesterday might be a decent lead-out for TVD too.

Friday
                8:00 Beauty and the Beast - I think it sounds horrible from the script pages I've read, but a fantasy thing might go nicely there. If not, maybe Secret Circle, even though I think TSC will die there.
                9:00 Supernatural - final season

Ringer needs to go away, too.

Comment

I agree with everything u said man! Ringer should be gone and Dixie and Arrow could definitely bring back the spark that Gilmore and Smallville had.

I don't know why the Sat morning lineup is like it is now but if it was up to me, I would seriously consider dropping CW 4 Kids and remaking it more like Kids' WB! u know?

Definitely agree with u that getting rid of Michigan J. Frog was not the answer. Does every network have to changee at least a little? Yeah but drastic measures like what The WB did were most definitely not the way to go.

Here's another thing they screwed up on. Taking the Kids' WB! lineup off weekdays. That lineup was a true powerhouse. It would have been different had that part not fully connected. Guess what? It didn't just connected, it overachieved! Fox Kids was the big place for a long time but I think that was starting to show its age. Kids' WB! comes in and shakes all the fans hands, gives them a hug and takes over. Did the block stumble a bit at first? Yeah but they didn't give up. Series like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Batman, Superman, Animaniacs, Mucha Lucha, Jackie Chan Adventures and others connected in ways that most network heads could only DREAM of!

The first big mistake was removing Michigan J. Frog. The second? Removing Kids WB! from weekdays. Those two things would be the first mistakes I would apologize and repair if I was Mark.

Not only that, but I think CW should be renamed into something more friendly and recognizable. I said it before but The New WB sounds more cool than The CW. CW just reminds me of Dawn Ostroff. It is the total opposite of what The WB used to be. Whereas The WB was about risk and succeeding in the audience u looked for, CW kind of feels like no risk, stumbling and asking what happened.

WB felt more like a friendly place. We need the next regeneration of The CW to make an effort and be more like that.

I agree on getting rid of Tyra's show. Why is that show even around?!?

Hey Craig, would u be open to CW airing the kids shows one night a week if they had a stronger lineup? Would u also be open to CW airing DC Animated direct-to-dvd films one Saturday night a month or something like that?
                  Last edited by Austin 3:16; 02-01-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

It's not up to me, but I would think the network would pass on any non-primetime changes. Affiliates control that stuff now, and affiliates don't like giving stuff up. As for a prime-time block of the animations... The WB tried it with Batman: The Animated Series and Pinky and the Brain and it generally did really poorly. So I'm not sure that's the answer.

They'll never go to The New WB unless CBS gets rid of their share, which probably wouldn't happen. I think it'd sooner close up shop before that, unless there were new partners. Originally, "CWB" was proposed as a name, but CBS felt even that was too WB.

Comment

CWB sounds like it could be a good name. I would have liked that a lot better than The CW.

Why would CBS be against the network name sounding too much like The WB? Nostalgia works extremely well and the amount of people who love The WB would've been enough to support a new network I think u know?

I remember when they used to premiere shows like Superman: The Animated Series and MiB The Series on The WB. They would do it on Friday nights. Always thought that was a pretty cool idea. Sad to hear primetime toons didn't do well. Id watch, especially if it was older stuff u know?

Why are they so stiff when it comes to weekdays? I remember reading articles where the woman who ran Fox Kids was pretty sure it was going to be taken off Saturdays and pretty much take over weekday afternoons. Wouldn't have minded that but guess it wasn't in the cards.

I really think if stuff like Fox Kids had stuck around, it would've been harder for it all to disappear on both networks. Fox Kids was REALLY good for awhile. I don't know why but after awhile, it just became kind of tired I think. Maybe it was Kids' WB! knocking on the door?

If I had my way though, I would get the weekends back and let Sat and Sun nights be devoted entirely to The WB. Id call it The WB Rewind and show programs like Smallville, Buffy, Angel, Reba, What I Like About You, 7th Heaven, Felicity, Dawson's Creek and others.

Creek and Felicity don't even air anymore in syndication unfortunately. That's letting great fruit spoil. So many people could get hooked with reruns and then end up buying the dvds. Not only that, but TNT is letting Smallville reruns go to waste. 3am or 5am, either way it is ridiculous! Bring back The WB on the weekends and let it shine again. U have tons of shows to rotate so two nights a wk would let u have plenty of time to rotate shows in and out. Plus, dvd and blu ray sales I'm sure would make up for more than enough of any revenue lost by airing shows. Not all those shows are owned by Warner but enough of them I think would b.
                      Last edited by Austin 3:16; 02-03-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Despite what The WB did on their final night, you'll never see something like that on The CW, either.

1) It's too Warner Bros.-related

and

2) The WB or even The CW don't own the rights to Buffy, Angel, Felicity, Dawson's Creek, and other things made for other studios, and they'd be rather expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
                          I really like Nikita, but I don't think it'll be back..
                          Yeah I like Nikita too but know it is a very slim chance of it coming back. I hope CW give the show time notice to wrap up story lines.

Although, that "romance in the future" show announced yesterday might be a decent lead-out for TVD too..
                          Are you talking about this show?

"The Selection (Warner Bros. TV)
                          EP/W: Elizabeth Craft & Sarah Fain
                          Based on the forthcoming series of books by Kiera Cass, The Selection is an epic romance set 300 years in the future which centers on a poor young woman who is chosen by lottery to participate in a competition to become the next queen of a war-torn nation at a crossroads
                          ."
                          Description of the book it's base off of:
                          "For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
                          But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
                          Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined."

It does sound interesting. Like a Hunger Games with a fairytale twist.

Friday
                          8:00 Beauty and the Beast - I think it sounds horrible from the script pages I've read, but a fantasy thing might go nicely there. If not, maybe Secret Circle, even though I think TSC will die there.
                          Horrible script? That's too bad. It sounded like a good idea for a remake. Was the script too sappy?

----- Added 12 Minutes later -----

CWB sounds like it could be a good name. I would have liked that a lot better than The CW.

I like the sound of CWB better too. Maybe the network needs 3 letters for it to succeed like the other networks ABC, CBS, NBC....ok maybe not like NBC. Maybe there should be another thread how to save NBC?

----- Added 19 Minutes later -----

I agree Top Model needs to go away.
                          Last edited by Clois/is/hot; 02-03-2012, 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

That stinks that they don't own the rights. I think The WB had the best variety for quite a few yrs and wish it could have been extended.

Hmmm Saving NBC. Sounds good. I'll get on that ty for the suggestion.

Comment

One thing they probably need to change is their promos. I only watch 1 hour of the CW weekly (Supernatural), and the promos don't seem to catch the plot of the episode. People who don't watch Supernatural probably have no idea what's going on. One of objectives of a promo is to grow the audience. It's supposed to get an outside viewer to say "This show seems interesting. I might check it out sometime." Their promos don't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Caught_In_The_Sun
                                Yeah...Ostroff

There is alot that the NEW CW could take chances on and the have some good things in the pipeline now. CW needs to get hold of a popular property that has a large built in fan-base and develop a series. Star Trek would be great but CBS would have to get a fire under them to get it going...some people have proposed ideas but they don't seem to be interested but as I said up thread I think the time is now for a new Trek series and I know I am repeating myself but instead of doing something brand new...doing a re-boot of The Next Generation(My favorite) would be good. It would be nice if JJ could get behind that.

[edit] Also a new series would suffer from Brand fatigue like VOY & ENT did...I like both but there were alot of ongoing problems and like the 09 movie...having someone different(not Berman/Braga) working on the series would probably help.
                                Unfortunately Abbrams has been pretty direct in his view that as long as he is running the trek franchise it is not going back to TV. If they ever did do another Trek series and if it was brought to the CW though, I would put Ron Moore in charge.
                                Last edited by Degobunny; 02-19-2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎