No announcement yet.

Saving The CW

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here.

I would also try to save The CW by making it more friends. Bring the backlot back from before and let the stars actually have fun. When I always saw the backlot on The WB, it made me want to watch more of the network because the people looked happy.

Comment

Austin 3:16I dig the screename anyway I agree with you and Craig the C W doesn’t have thatmuch going for these days except for the vampire diaries. I also agree with LoveHurt ....I do not watch The CW anymore onceSmallville finale went off the air. To meit seems that television today is all about teen drama re makes look at charlie’s angels remake and that crashedand burned and wonder woman that never really got off the ground but then againit was a remake and that’s all that television seems to do these days areremakes hospital dramas crime dramas reality TV and so forth.

Now don’tget me wrong revamping a show to fit a generation is completely understandablethat’s what smallville did 10 years ago the telling and superman in the earlybeginning and that’s why it lasted so long because it had a history behind itclose to 80 years and was able to tell stories in different ways but alwaysstick with that original guideline that makes characters so believable.

People want interesting stories to be told andtoday’s television has lost that is not the same as it was when we were kidsgrowing up in the seventies or eighties and things were fresh and new todaytelevision just doesn’t have that spark anymore to much of the same stuff crimedrama a lawyer type drama hospital drama these have histories facts behind themgranted yet at the same time they’re more of the same and can only go so farwith the confines of realism.
      Now the C.W. is introducing a green arrow series which I can only say to this it’sgreat, because once again it has its own history to back it up Comic books havea much wider spectrum to pull from not just reality but multiple realities anduniversities to stretch characters in many directions this is why the Green Arrowseries will be a great fit for the CW much like smallville was just in adifferent way.

Therefore hypothetically speaking if the WBwere to come back it should focus on comic book/science fiction television andgrant and I know they have a SCI Fi channel but there should also be a channel forcomic book programming and other types of fiction.
      Also comic book fans SCI Fi fans should alsobe allowed to write suggestions or ideas a creative challenge of shows theywould like to see.
      Last edited by bigvillir001; 01-13-2012, 09:29 PM.

Comment

I agree with everything u just said and I like your name too bigvillir001.

After watching Supernatural, I have been watching Smallville rewatch and realized how much I miss watching the series on Friday nights. It is still kind of hard to accept the show is over. Maybe once stuff like GA, Cult and Deadman start, hopefully, then that will help.

I miss SV and hope CW's new shows coming up will help heal the network.

I would really love a new logo and more of a feeling like what The WB had. By that I mean more warm, open and like a family u know? The WB never talked down to the fans like Ostroff did when she ran the station.

Mark Pedowitz is doing a great job apologizing to the fans that were neglected when shows like Reaper, SmackDown, Smallville and Supernatural were neglected. He's got my backing and I respect what he's trying to do. He wants to give fans more variety ala The WB. Now there are rumors he wants to bring more comedies into the mix? Not a bad idea.

Ostroff kind of seemed like she was stingy with the budgets when it came to SV and SPN. I really believe Mark Pedowitz wants to expand on good programming. Him being interested in shows like Cult, Deadman and (Green) Arrow makes me have faith in the channel again.
        Last edited by Austin 3:16; 01-13-2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

CW needs to get hold of properties people care about and do them JUSTICE! Green Arrow & Deadman are a start...as I said before Star Trek is prime for a series now...but the network needs to be diverse and not focus on just one demo that really doesn't exist. Doing a night of reality is ok, a night of comedy...doing high concept action series and sci fi/fantasy. I really wish they would get back into doing a wrestling show...if not WWE than getting up with Sinclair and doing ROH or Chikara Pro is interesting.

[edit] Even though CW has TSC(about witches) I'd like to see a new take on Sabrina The Teenage Witch.
          Last edited by Caught_In_The_Sun; 01-14-2012, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Power Girl sounds like a great show, especially if given a good budget.

I wouldn't mind reality shows. I loved Beauty and The Geek. When done right, they work.

Does anyone else think it's time to retire America's Next Top Model or am I the only one?

Sabrina The Teenage Witch is ripe for a reboot. It has been awhile since the show ended and they were going to do a movie with Sarah Michelle Gellar but it never got off the ground.

Back when CW began, there were people who suggested bringing Ohio Valley Wrestling over and making it a new wrestling show, saying it could be WWE's new show like ECW. I wouldn't mind seeing Florida Championship Wrestling on the net. Definitely would love to see wrestling on CW. ROH or Chikara Pro would be cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by Caught_In_The_Sun
              CW needs to get hold of properties people care about and do them JUSTICE! Green Arrow & Deadman are a start...as I said before Star Trek is prime for a series now...but the network needs to be diverse and not focus on just one demo that really doesn't exist. Doing a night of reality is ok, a night of comedy...doing high concept action series and sci fi/fantasy. I really wish they would get back into doing a wrestling show...if not WWE than getting up with Sinclair and doing ROH or Chikara Pro is interesting.

[edit] Even though CW has TSC(about witches) I'd like to see a new take on Sabrina The Teenage Witch.
              Originally posted by Austin 3:16
              I agree with everything u just said and I like your name too bigvillir001.

After watching Supernatural, I have been watching Smallville rewatch and realized how much I miss watching the series on Friday nights. It is still kind of hard to accept the show is over. Maybe once stuff like GA, Cult and Deadman start, hopefully, then that will help.

I miss SV and hope CW's new shows coming up will help heal the network.

I would really love a new logo and more of a feeling like what The WB had. By that I mean more warm, open and like a family u know? The WB never talked down to the fans like Ostroff did when she ran the station.

Mark Pedowitz is doing a great job apologizing to the fans that were neglected when shows like Reaper, SmackDown, Smallville and Supernatural were neglected. He's got my backing and I respect what he's trying to do. He wants to give fans more variety ala The WB. Now there are rumors he wants to bring more comedies into the mix? Not a bad idea.

Ostroff kind of seemed like she was stingy with the budgets when it came to SV and SPN. I really believe Mark Pedowitz wants to expand on good programming. Him being interested in shows like Cult, Deadman and (Green) Arrow makes me have faith in the channel again.
              Originally posted by jon-el87
              Wouldn't work. Outside of SV, prequel-shows don't last that long and the stories they tell aren't often that interesting. And the end result wouldn't be very impressive: You could end up with shows that stalls their progress (to make the show run longer), have them meet future villains in their youth and make all kinds of major changes. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are the three big DC icons, which creates problem when you're trying to adapt them. Paul Levitz adressed this subject, in a recent Newsarama interview regarding Huntress and Power Girl:

And the neat thing, when you're playing that not with Superman and Batman but Huntress and Power Girl, is that they're freer characters, in some ways, than the iconic characters. You can develop more nuances. They stand on their own a little bit more. And you can hopefully make that a more interesting journey, since they don't have to support eight titles each. So you have the room to tell their story.

With a lot of less known characters, there are these big gaps in the story of their lives. Take Power Girl for example. DC have never established what happened in between her landing on Earth and her first appearance, in All-Star Comics #58. Why did she put on a costume and decide to fight crime? While she's got a solid foundation: supporting cast and villains. Along with an interesting story, of her coming to Earth and ends up becoming the founder and CEO of a Fortune 500 corporation, through hard (the standard rich woman, in movies and television, either inherited money from her parents or married into money). She was also one of Oracle's first agents (which ended in disaster), a JLI member, the first new member of the JSA and their first female chairperson. She's also had a large variety of costumes, so one could do a lot of prototype costumes. And unlike a lot of other superheroes, she's never had one THE romantic interest, which I think would interest romance interested folk. During Smallville's run, there were a lot of threads about "who should be Clark's one true love", etc., the point of which can be questioned, when it well-established since decades back, that it's Lois. Power Girl's had relationships with several guys: Andrew Vinson, Hal Jordan, Michael Holt, etc., a writing team on a TV series could have her end up with anyone of those guys (or someone else).

I could see Power Girl working as a TV series. Exploring her journey in life, her becoming CEO of Starrware. Her befriending Helena Wayne and Barbara Gordon, which leads to the creation of the BoP (which ends in disaster), P.G. becoming recruited to the JLI (storyline revolving around this and her departure from the group). A storyline revolving around Karen encountering old JSA members, whom she gets out of retirement, becomes a part-time member of the new team (and, when the show comes to and end, becomes the leader of the group). You could even explore Krypton from a unique angle: when it comes to Supes, you're dealing with someone learning about their origin; When it comes to Supergirl and other aliens that actually grew up on their home planet, you're dealing with someone remembering the planet; Power Girl on the other hand, was placed inside of a spaceship as an infant and raised in a Virtual Reality, created by her parents (the question is... How accurate was it?). So, there you can have P.G. "remember" a utopian Krypton, which (as the show progresses) is later revealed to be a lie constructed by her parents.
              They could also bring back some old DC characters, like the Kryptonian criminals U-Ban, Mala and Kizo, Dr. Chaos (do they still have the prop helmet for Dr. Fate? In that case, all they'd need to do is color it blue) and Atoman to flesh out her rogues gallery further. But, also Halk Kar (as another possible romantic interest... One whom she could actually reproduce with, to create new Kryptonians) and (the robotic) Powerman.
              the CW new mission should fit all kinds of demos Comics/scifi comedy family ect

Comment

Not saying it would work...but this is how I would do it if I was The CW...

MON: 8PM Competition Or Game Show 9PM Reality Show
                TUE: 8PM Comedy Geared toward adults(think FRIENDS) 8:30PM Comedy geared toward adults(think SEINFELD) 9PM Action series(think 24 or Prison Break)
                WED: 8PM Sci Fi Fantasy Series(like New Star Trek series) 9PM Family Drama(think Everwood)
                THU: 8PM Sci Fi Fantasy Series(TVD could stay here) 9PM Sci Fi/Fantasy Series(much darker...TSC really should be an 8PM show)
                FRI: 8PM Family Comedy 8:30PM Family Comedy 9PM Sci Fi/Fantasy Series(I would do an updated Sabrina here as a hour long Dramedy )
                SAT: 8PM New Wrestling Show, 2 hours.
                SUN: 7PM Drama Series 8PM Here I would do a live music series event for 2 hours.

Fridays I would attempt a TGIF like ABC did in the 90's which was great...I would add programming to Saturday & Sunday.

Comment

I just realized something. If Supernatural was to move to a new version of The WB, it would be one of only two shows to have been on three different networks for its entire first run batch of eps. The other show: WWE Smackdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
                    LoveHurts38, don't worry, I'm the same way sometimes. I was utterly prepared to not like Angel back in the day because I didn't want them to take the character off of Buffy. Instead, I ended up loving the show more than Buffy at certain points. Thank u for your feedback on the topic btw.
                    Buffy seen it the movie

Comment

That's one reason I loved The WB. They took chances on shows like Buffy, Smallville, Supernatural, etc. Ostroff's CW didn't want to take chances. It seemed like they were obsessed more with making money than trying to make fans happy. There is a way to do both. Shows like the ones I mentioned above prove that.

Comment

Yeah...Ostroff

There is alot that the NEW CW could take chances on and the have some good things in the pipeline now. CW needs to get hold of a popular property that has a large built in fan-base and develop a series. Star Trek would be great but CBS would have to get a fire under them to get it going...some people have proposed ideas but they don't seem to be interested but as I said up thread I think the time is now for a new Trek series and I know I am repeating myself but instead of doing something brand new...doing a re-boot of The Next Generation(My favorite) would be good. It would be nice if JJ could get behind that.

[edit] Also a new series would suffer from Brand fatigue like VOY & ENT did...I like both but there were alot of ongoing problems and like the 09 movie...having someone different(not Berman/Braga) working on the series would probably help.
                        Last edited by Caught_In_The_Sun; 01-17-2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Enterprise had problems because it was a prequel and fans weren't allowed to submit ideas. Ever since TNG, the fans were allowed to help with their favorite franchise somehow. Enterprise wasn't like that. I think since fans have a better knowledge of the series than even people behind the scenes sometimes, it was considered a real slap in the face. Fans are told "You can't contribute but watch anyway and like it"? Yeah that doesn't sit too well.

I think what also hurt Enterprise was that there was another prequel series that wasn't afraid to take chances on at the same time called Smallville.

Comment

I don't know, reboots of older tv-series are usually bad and kinda miss the point of the original given they were the products of that time. Now I'm not saying there shouldn't be a new Star Trek series but hopefully not a repeat of TNG.

Comment

I have no problem with an new original Trek series.

The CW still needs a popular property that has a built in fan base to build a series off of...between CBS & WB there has to be something that they can take advantage of. Question is what??? Don't know if what they are looking into right now is enough.

Comment

I don't watch anything on the CW since Smallville went off the air. I might give Green Arrow a try but for some reason I have doubts about that show.

Not too long ago, they were looking into doing a Dick Grayson/Robin show. Too bad that idea went to the dump because I think a Nightwing show would be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎