Collapse
No announcement yet.

Series 7/Season 33/(insert your own alternative designation) News

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Doctor Who team have called a press conference for tomorrow - the rumour is that it is to reveal the new companion. If so, it is interesting timing, as it suggests the new character's first appearance will be in the episodes shot as part of Block 2 (the first two Steven Moffat-scripted episodes - 1 and 4?).

Comment

It's been reported that it's no rumour - the conference will indeed announce, as they put it, the "new companion / assistant/sidekick/talking cabbage (delete as applicable)"

So here comes that old paradox that only Doctor Who creates: Our beloved Ponds are leaving us, so sad. But, wait, here comes someone new! How exciting! No, wait, I mean sad. No, exciting. Sad, exciting, sad, exciting.
      Last edited by KSiteTV; 03-26-2012, 03:15 AM. Reason: Please do not link fan sites.

Comment

I am ok with a new companion, but I don't want either of them to die. It would be nice if, just this time, someone left without being forced to. I would like Rory and Amy to leave just because they want a normal life, and to be able to have other kids without fearing they would be kidnapped by another lunatic after the Doctor. I also hope we get to still see River every once in a while, but I fear she will leave with the rest of the Ponds.

Pity, though.

Apparently the new companion is a "she" (not surprising) and "pretty" but not "household name".
        Last edited by liana; 03-20-2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

@bbcdoctorwho twitter feed have revealed that "a few announcements...That's right - a few!" will be made today. Other news stories suggest that the press conference is timed for 10:30 GMT (approximately one hour from now). Widespread reports that Jenna-Louise Coleman will play the new companion suggest that either the press have all cottoned onto a false rumour, or that (as seemed to happen with Matt Smith - who suddenly appeared on press "shortlists" 24 hours before he was revealed as the 11th Doctor) someone has leaked her name to give people chance to get used to the idea before the official announcement.

Comment

Jenna-Louise Coleman now confirmed as the new companion.

She will be introduced in the Christmas special, which will be episode 6 of Series 7. Just to confirm, that's 6 episodes (including Christmas) in 2012 and 8 in 2013. Amy and Rory depart in episode 5 after a final encounter with the Weeping Angels. According to Steven Moffat: "Not everyone gets out alive, and I mean it this time!"

Edit 11:10 GMT "Jenna-Louise Coleman", "Amy and Rory" and "Weeping Angels" all trending on Twitter.

And here is the press release - complete with a quote from Steven Moffat explaining why they aren't revealing the name (or any other character details) of the new companion:

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online
            Last edited by newbaggy; 03-21-2012, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Bit disappointed it's not a male companion, but I do like this idea that she'll be talking faster than the Doctor. Now, can she act? Has anyone seen her in anything? I think the press release mentioned her in Captain America? Hmm, I don't remember her.

Comment

Originally posted by newbaggy
                Amy and Rory depart in episode 5 after a final encounter with the Weeping Angels. According to Steven Moffat: "Not everyone gets out alive, and I mean it this time!"
                I am guessing Rory dies for real this time. It would be nice if just one time someone leave the Doctor just because they want to.

Comment

Great choice for new companion, she was great in Emmerdale. (For those who don't know, Emmerdale is a Soap Opera that airs in the UK) Can't wait for the new episodes to come out.

Comment

Originally posted by WellingFan
                    Great choice for new companion, she was great in Emmerdale. (For those who don't know, Emmerdale is a Soap Opera that airs in the UK) Can't wait for the new episodes to come out.
                    And she is maintaining a fine tradition. Frazer Hines' biggest role after playing "Jamie McCrimmon" in Doctor Who was as "Joe Sugden" in what was then called Emmerdale Farm (the series originally revolved around the Sugden family, owners of the farm - they dropped the "Farm" from the title when the focus shifted to the inhabitants of the nearby village). Also, Gareth Roberts (writer of The Shakespeare Code, The Lodger and Closing Time) was a script editor on the show in the late 1990s.

Comment

I won't believe that either Amy or Rory are destined to die until I see it on BBC One. I just don't think Moffat will actually do it.

Comment

Originally posted by quinny06
                        I won't believe that either Amy or Rory are destined to die until I see it on BBC One. I just don't think Moffat will actually do it.
                        I really hope you are right. I always thought that River's future Death could be used as a catalyst for them to leave. It would make sense that they wouldn't want to be around when it happens, and they might even resent the Doctor for not doing anything to stop it. I mean, even if they do understand why he is not going to tell her, it doesn't mean that they would just accept it. They have already lost her once as a baby, I am positive they won't accept the idea of losing her again because of the Doctor that easily.

Comment

Let the countdown begin to the new season!

Comment

First official publicity photo:

Last edited by KSiteTV; 03-26-2012, 03:15 AM. Reason: Please do not reference fan sites.

Comment

I'm wondering if Julian "Downton Abbey" Fellowes and ITV have been secretly rubbing their hands with glee at the timing of the announcement. Jenna-Louise appears in Fellowes' Titanic mini-series, starting on ITV1 this Sunday. Might they be hoping to get a ratings boost from Who fans tuning in for a look at Ms Coleman?

Comment

In that pic, she looks kind of like Winnie Cooper from Wonder Years.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎