Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Shut Up, Dr. Phil?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are some saying Sam is still in the dark about Dean killing Amy last I checked. In episode 'defending your life' Sam says early on 'I understand why you had to kill Amy'. So apparently Dean's already confessed to Sam about killing Amy behind his back.

I actually liked that Sam and Dean failed to kill the married witch couple the showdown.At this point is the funniest scene in the entire history of the show. I was actually expecting them to kill the two but like that it back fired. It was pretty funny seeing the brothers trying to side with the other only to get their ass kicked. Simply because the other didn't like they weren't taking their side.

And damn Carpenter was hot in the episode she may be 41 but she looks like she hasn't aged since Angel. The only thing I didn't get was why did the brothers try to kill the couple. Judging by how the couple acted they could have offed themselves. The two were ready to throw down before Sam and Dean showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Clois4eva89
      Why are some saying Sam is still in the dark about Dean killing Amy last I checked. In episode 'defending your life' Sam says early on 'I understand why you had to kill Amy'. So apparently Dean's already confessed to Sam about killing Amy behind his back.
      I don't remember this. And if he did tell Sam, why would he be acting so guilt ridden? And why did Sam beg Dean to tell him what he's keeping from him?

Comment

I could be wrong maybe Sam understood the reason from Dean's P.O.V. on why he thought Amy should die. That could explain why Dean would feel guilty and also why he decided to skip the final witness. Which would have been Amy so maybe Sam doesn't know,but from my point of view I thought Sam knew.At least that's what I took from the line when Sam said 'I understand why you had to kill her'. But even if Sam does know and is fine with it why is there still guilt with Dean?

Comment

What are you smoking? Sam never said that to Dean....he DID thank Dean for NOT killing Amy.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by MannaBanana
          I feel like this is a trick question!

The witch has nothing to do with my concern. Personally yes, I trust the witch but thats not my point. Those Leviathan are mighty tough! Whos to say that spell wont wear off much faster than expected.
          Ah, that's what you mean about that....well, yah, I guess there should've been some caution on the Leviathan waking up early, but I'm sure that could play the factor on how the Leviathans got an upper hand and took the forms of Sam and Dean...perhaps he wakes up earlier and "takes" the DNA of the boys to share with another.
          Last edited by Anno_Domini; 10-23-2011, 09:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Clois4eva89

I actually liked that Sam and Dean failed to kill the married witch couple the showdown.At this point is the funniest scene in the entire history of the show. I was actually expecting them to kill the two but like that it back fired. It was pretty funny seeing the brothers trying to side with the other only to get their ass kicked. Simply because the other didn't like they weren't taking their side.

And damn Carpenter was hot in the episode she may be 41 but she looks like she hasn't aged since Angel. The only thing I didn't get was why did the brothers try to kill the couple. Judging by how the couple acted they could have offed themselves. The two were ready to throw down before Sam and Dean showed up.
            Sam has no idea Dean killed Amy. I think the scene your talking about was during the trial when Dean flashedback to the episode with Amy and Sam said to him "I know you didnt want to let her go, but it was the right thing to do" Maybe you just interpreted that scene wrong. But if your talking about a different part of the episode I can get the transcript of that scene for you. I know for a fact Sam doesnt know. He most definately would not be ok with what Dean did. Thats why Dean didnt want Amy called as a witness in his Trial. Hope that helps some

As for Sam and Dean trying to take out the witches before they took out each other, well they did that because earlier they said they could wipe out the entire town with how angry they were. And with the power they had, they would have ended up killing a lot more people just throwing down in their own living room.

Comment

Originally posted by LuthorKent90
              I'm also wondering why Dean and Sam didn't kill them.
              This is bothering a lot of people, from what I'm seeing. Me too.

Okay, so they tried to kill them but couldn't (the feet weren't chilled or whatever). The witches kick Sam and Dean's ass and they have to retreat. Sometimes it happens. I figure they'll take another run at them when they can get more supplies (but by then the Starks might have left town or they might know they are coming or something but Sam and Dean can work around that cause they're good at what they do, right?).

Then the Leviathan shows up. All right, now the boys have bigger problems (and when the Big Bads appear the boys do have a tendency to forget about the MOTW) and they have to unload the body. Plus, Don saved them. But still, you'd think they would be planning to come back and take them out or telling another hunter or something. Or maybe they figure the Starks aren't going to kill anymore now that their marital spat is all fixed up? But they have killed and (according to the gospel of Dean) will kill again. So I figured they would at least be planning on going back and taking them out. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Yeah, kind of messes with your head, doesn't it?

Anyway, this episode (I was forewarned so I wasn't eating during it, thank goodness) was really yucky and gross! Death by hairdyer to start with. Ick.

The Cas flashbacks and Sam and Amy in the dream. Nice.

That whole scene in the hotel room I kept mentally comparing it with the leaked comedy version. So different.

And Dean got to go to the hairdressers? Huh. I figured he'd send Sam.

Dean and more booze.

Anyone else notice the "BM Disposals" on the port-a-potty?

that bust of James. I wonder how long it took to make. I also was wondering if he got to keep it (til it crumbled later in the episode).

I thought the shot of the Leviathan driving in the car was pointless (him on the phone to the boss wasn't but why bother showing him driving?).

Loved Sam setting off the car alarm to signal Dean. And "restless leg syndrome", Sam?

Death by cupcake. (Okay, not death technically but still.) Ick!

The shooting the coin scene was cool. I wouldn't have thought of that (I probably would have dropped something heavy on it or something). Clever.

Maggie knows they are hunters?

The chicken feet. "Take the feet!" And Sam/Jared's expression. Poor Dean and his pie (from Biggerson's, I think).

The witches are 800 years old? And Dean trying to counsel them (leave it to Sam, Dean!). The return of Bees (did they look fake to anyone else? Cause they did to me. And then I found out they were--Jared said so at ChiCon this weekend, I guess). And Dean 'eating' one. Ew.

When Don showed up I was all 'witches can kill a Leviathan?' but nope, he's just out temporarily. Still, a weapon to know about I guess.

I did enjoy that last scene with the boys across the car, even though nothing did get resolved. Sam telling Dean to open up, Dean's line about always having something eating at him (too true).

The allusions between the Starks and the Winchesters were kind of anvil heavy (Sam's bit about all people need to do is talk to the Starks and all) though. But if Sam keeps trying, Dean might break down one of these days. Course when he does tell Sam what he did....

But mostly this episode was just okay. I honestly didn't care much for the Starks and their troubles and probably wouldn't have cared at all if it hadn't been Charisma and James (who is looking so good! Can't believe that man is almost 50!).

Comment

Manna i'm talking about the scene where they are outside it's daytime and Sam turns to Dean.It was shown in the preview for the episode i'm positive I heard Sam say 'I understand why you had to kill Amy'. Anno please don't insult my intelligence again I took offense to your comment. We all hear things differently I could have heard it wrong,but I assumed Sam knew last week Dean killed Amy.

When Dean was on trial and he had a chance for a final witness and Dean knew it would be Amy. I thought he didn't want to call the final witness because there would be no. Possible explanation to get him out of a guilty verdict. Since his actions directly caused the death of Amy where as with Jo it was more of an influence on her part not Dean's. Up until now it never crossed my mind that Sam doesn't know that Dean killed Amy behind his back.

Comment

Lol, I would apologize if I was insulting your intelligence, which I wasn't. "What are you smoking?" has NO meaning in poking fun at your intelligence. You heard it wrong, or thought Sam said something differently, and that has NOTHING to do with your cerebral. You're just not paying attention to what Sam is actually saying, or what not. Does that affect your IQ? No, not at all. But, I will apologize if it in any way you took offense to the comment I made.

But...as I already mentioned, it was in "Defending Your Life" when Sam and Dean were going to see the first victim of the episode when Sam turned around towards Dean to thank him for letting Amy live, thus Sam has no idea that Dean killed Amy. Plus, when it came to the third and final witness, Sam and Dean talked about how Dean had "no idea" who the witness would've been, and said it could've been anyone for Osiris to make Dean feel guilty, thus why Dean went ahead and told Osiris to make his judgment.
                  Last edited by Anno_Domini; 10-24-2011, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I give this episode a solid 8. I really enjoyed James Marsters. I was actually impressed with CC. That was the best acting I've seen from her. Jensen was spot on this episode as well.

Comment

Apparently I voted but I don't remember what I put...I think it was an 8.

I wouldn't say it was the best episode of the season thus far, but it definitely had its moments. I thought I was going to need a diaper from laughing when Sam was doing his speedwalking and all about being Mr. Exercise. That was one of the best scenes thus far this season.

I enjoyed seeing James and Charisma together in an episode but, I wasn't bowled over with awesome by their characters. As W_i_p said, I'd probably have paid no mind to the characters at all had it not been for the actors playing them.

I got a very "Final Destination" feel from this episode, given how the "accidents" were.

I see Dean continuing on his drinking binge...I was glad for that continuity, along with the leviathan. Now, what's interesting is Mr. Stark (Tony image flash) saving Sam and Dean. I got this feeling of perhaps that's not the last we see of "Mr. Stark" or his kind anyway...

Comment

I'd have to disagree with you WickedJenn on the whole Final Destination feel. I'm a die-hard fan of the franchise and FD didn't enter my mind at all during this episode. The whole premise of accidents in the FD world is they are in the realm of reality and are natural. The salon accident was explained saying if it overheated it would have shut off. The nail gun part was floating in mid air nothing natural about that,and puking blood again not natural.Even the decapitation wasn't natural an object flys toward the woman's head cutting it off. When Billy in FD 1 lost his head the whole cause and effect made sense.

While i'm on the subject of all these death I have to ask the question of: why? Mrs. Stark's reason for doing it was stupid if they lie about it,deny it,or try to cover it up. Why not just stop associating with them in your life where is the justification of killing them. Why didn't she just target the mistress and her husband who had the affair?

Comment

I wasn't comparing them in a literal sense, I know what FD is all about, I've seen every one. I know what actually caused all the deaths in the episode...this is my own opinion and that is the immediate comparison that popped into my head. The freakish way in which the people died is why I was mentioning it. Also, note how I put "accidents" in quotes, as I was denoting that term to be used loosely, emphasizing the fact that they weren't so. I never mentioned anything about the deaths in the episode being natural at all.

In addition, there have been numerous mentions of the gross factor of this episode regarding how the deaths occurred, and as I recall, the gross factor in FD was heightened with each film. Another reason why I got the "feel" of the films there. Again, this is my own opinion, I don't state that this was directly involved in the episode idea at all.

Supernatural does in fact pay homage to many horror films as I see it, even if very loosely based.
                          Last edited by WickedJenn; 10-24-2011, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I know WickedJenn i'm just saying I disagree with you,and explain the reason why. The episode was entertaining but imo it falls flat for several reasons. How did the Laviathan track the Winchesters to the town of the episode? Unlike a prior episode we never see there being a direct tie to the lead. Why did Mrs. Stark kill the people her husband worked with? Just on the bases that they covered for him isn't the same. As being cheated on we were never even told in she associated with them. If she never met them daily/weekly then she could easily stay out of their way.And if she did just choose to end it there's no logic. In being lied to so that means they deserve to die. It's just and illogical excuse to throw in a horrific kill. The chilled chicken feet line made no sense to me at all. I'm no expert of cooking but last I check the chicken feet were frozen. Doesn't that mean they were already chilled so why did the spell fail?How did the Winchesters get away after the showdown?Mr. and Mrs. Stark claimed they were going to kill them.If Mrs. Stark was going to kill them anyway then why put coins in their room? How did Mrs Stark get those coins put away given her busy schedule? I know the whole purpose is to create suspense,but would it hurt. To show how she managed to gain access to place them. Does she even need to place a spell to use them far away? Overall the only thing preventing the episode from flopping to me. Was James and Charisma's acting anyone else doing the roles. Given the way they did this episode and I wouldn't have. Any positive feedback for this episode (you owe me big time Gamble).

Comment

Clois4eva89 I have a memory of there being a scence where Sam went to get the chicken feet and found that the electricity was failing and everything was going off - so IF the witch knew that was part of a spell, and she obviously knew they were hunters, it would make sense to thaw everything in town... kinda think that is clever - bit sneaky - writing...

All in all I enjoyed the episode - enjoyed the old MOTW feel... wondering now where exactly do you put a Levithan?

Comment

Aw, the sweeties lived to guest star another day! That's quaint. I liked the episode just because it was like a whole 'nuther show this week but still Supernatch at the same time. I liked how for once the hunters didn't get their quarry and were lucky to just escape town. And of course, the first time they don't kill the monster, the monster conveniently helps them with their leviathan problem. That's very contrived, but they need the help, so it's better than having the leviathan win I guess. What's going on with James' chin implant being so rigid like a speed bump, though?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎