Collapse
No announcement yet.

how bad is Lex

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. I suspect that Lex Luthor of Smallville would had been more inclined to listen and cooperate with Clark had Clark actually treated him a little more civilly. And you know, given Lex the information he needed to know at the time. Things would had gone differently had they had this conversation:

Clark: (being civil) "Hello, Lex. I hope you had a good day today."
    Lex: (smiles) "Hi, Clark. Yeah, I had a good day... thanks for asking. Nice to see you stop by for a change. I never see you much those days."
    Clark: "So the thing is, I heard that you were doing things that I don't approve of because it offends me on some moral level. Any chance you could stop it, please?"
    Lex Luthor: "I would love to stop doing those things for you, Clark. However.... *sighs* There is an Alien invasion on the way, and they cannot be reasoned with! I know this fact because I was possessed by zod and saw what he was planning while he was hijacking my body."
    Clark: "Well, um... that's the thing. You no longer have to do those things, because I've been stopping the aliens by myself, with some help from other friends. So what you're doing is now pointless.... not to mention morally wrong."
    Lex Luthor: "Well, since you put it that way... I suppose I'll stop just like you asked me to. But shouldn't we still have some backup in case? I mean, we now know there are bad aliens out there... and they might randomly decide to stop for a little visit."
    Clark: "Well... it is indeed prudent to have a backup plan in case of alien invasions. But I'm sure we could compromise and work out something that doesn't require experimenting on people against their will or something equally objectionable. Do you agree?"
    Lex: "Very well, I'll agree to try it your way. Look, What if you were in charge of overseeing some of my projects? Then you might realize that sometimes I have to make the hard choices... I don't do that kind of thing because I enjoy it."
    Clark: "Alright, I can agree to helping you monitor most of your projects to ensure that they don't go off the rails. It's a deal."
    Lex: (raises glass) "Here's to working together to save the earth from evil aliens."

The way Clark went about trying to stop Lex in the Smallville eps were just bad. Storming into the study, and then very rudely demanding that you stop everything you were doing without any explanation for why you should stop that.... saying that he doesn't like it isn't a good reason at all for why you should stop. That's like if you were testing life-saving Medicines on lab animals and some animal activist very rudely told you to stop that because they didn't like the fact that it was being tested on animals, even if you treated the animals humanely. Yeah, you probably wouldn't stop unless they gave you a better reason beyond "I don't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
      Yeah. I suspect that Lex Luthor of Smallville would had been more inclined to listen and cooperate with Clark had Clark actually treated him a little more civilly. And you know, given Lex the information he needed to know at the time. Things would had gone differently had they had this conversation:

Clark: (being civil) "Hello, Lex. I hope you had a good day today."
      Lex: (smiles) "Hi, Clark. Yeah, I had a good day... thanks for asking. Nice to see you stop by for a change. I never see you much those days."
      Clark: "So the thing is, I heard that you were doing things that I don't approve of because it offends me on some moral level. Any chance you could stop it, please?"
      Lex Luthor: "I would love to stop doing those things for you, Clark. However.... *sighs* There is an Alien invasion on the way, and they cannot be reasoned with! I know this fact because I was possessed by zod and saw what he was planning while he was hijacking my body."
      Clark: "Well, um... that's the thing. You no longer have to do those things, because I've been stopping the aliens by myself, with some help from other friends. So what you're doing is now pointless.... not to mention morally wrong."
      Lex Luthor: "Well, since you put it that way... I suppose I'll stop just like you asked me to. But shouldn't we still have some backup in case? I mean, we now know there are bad aliens out there... and they might randomly decide to stop for a little visit."
      Clark: "Well... it is indeed prudent to have a backup plan in case of alien invasions. But I'm sure we could compromise and work out something that doesn't require experimenting on people against their will or something equally objectionable. Do you agree?"
      Lex: "Very well, I'll agree to try it your way. Look, What if you were in charge of overseeing some of my projects? Then you might realize that sometimes I have to make the hard choices... I don't do that kind of thing because I enjoy it."
      Clark: "Alright, I can agree to helping you monitor most of your projects to ensure that they don't go off the rails. It's a deal."
      Lex: (raises glass) "Here's to working together to save the earth from evil aliens."

The way Clark went about trying to stop Lex in the Smallville eps were just bad. Storming into the study, and then very rudely demanding that you stop everything you were doing without any explanation for why you should stop that.... saying that he doesn't like it isn't a good reason at all for why you should stop. That's like if you were testing life-saving Medicines on lab animals and some animal activist very rudely told you to stop that because they didn't like the fact that it was being tested on animals, even if you treated the animals humanely. Yeah, you probably wouldn't stop unless they gave you a better reason beyond "I don't like it!"
      While I disagree with some of the arguments you made, I agree kinda overall. I never thought Lex was sane after season 3. The guy killed two polar opposite personalities at different times in his life. He's gotta have like multiple personality disorder or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagenspear
        While I disagree with some of the arguments you made, I agree kinda overall. I never thought Lex was sane after season 3. The guy killed two polar opposite personalities at different times in his life. He's gotta have like multiple personality disorder or something.
        yeah, you do have a point about that. And I think one of those were actually the fault of Lionel Luthor... starting off with electroshock therapy had to do something to Lex... starting off the chain of Post-traumatic stress disorder that Lex was shown to exhibit in later seasons. Hell, he even faced plenty of trauma long before that too. And of course Lionel Luthor wouldn't really get his son real help at all... just corrupt people who were under his payroll instead.

But yeah... I do think that Lex showed signs that he could be reasoned with, even with the possibility of multiple personality disorder. That's just if you take post-traumatic stress disorder into account and stuff, you just have to reason with him more carefully than you would have with him at the start of Season one.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
          yeah, you do have a point about that. And I think one of those were actually the fault of Lionel Luthor... starting off with electroshock therapy had to do something to Lex... starting off the chain of Post-traumatic stress disorder that Lex was shown to exhibit in later seasons. Hell, he even faced plenty of trauma long before that too. And of course Lionel Luthor wouldn't really get his son real help at all... just corrupt people who were under his payroll instead.

But yeah... I do think that Lex showed signs that he could be reasoned with, even with the possibility of multiple personality disorder. That's just if you take post-traumatic stress disorder into account and stuff, you just have to reason with him more carefully than you would have with him at the start of Season one.
          Smallville was always pretty weird with mental illness. Unless it came to Alicia.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎