No announcement yet.

Lois and Clark wait 7 years to marry?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by proflightsprotights
    So , I loved it! LOVED IT! I wish we could have actually seen Tom in the suit, but oh well...

So here's my confusion...Clark and Lois never got officially married, right? So after he became Superman did they keep their distance in the workplace for Lois's safety or something? And then, if they were indeed getting married, then why was Clark calling her "Miss Lane". Surely people who are getting married don't call each other by their last names...

Is is just poor writing or are they secretly getting married and not telling anyone?!
    I think the producers really wanted the last scene, the one with the iconic shirt rip, to be prefaced with our learning that Lois--who had earlier worried she would be in (Superman)'s way, was 110% okay with even postponing her wedding--again--so Clar--Superman could save someone. "Tell the minister I'm going to be a little late" Clark tells a smiling, approving Lois. Great way to finish up.
    So why not do that in the present? Because if it's in the future, Lois and Clark/Superman are established in their roles, and we get to see Clark after he's been Superman for some time.
    I have some serious problems with the finale, but this they got right.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally Posted by kp1984
    Never notice but Clark did met Lios 7 years ago and he marries her 7 years from now. I wonder why it was push back so far.

Originally posted by Exedore
    Pon Farr.
    LOL! LOL times ten! Epic reply!

Last edited by RightWingConspirator; 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The only reason I can think of is that they wanted to make it official years later after he became superman, to align it with the mythos.

But still, 7 years? why not 1 year, 2,5...
      Tom and Erica are supposed to be 25/26 on the show, maybe they were trying to align the ending with the actors real ages. I don't know, it's weird.

It's kind of funny actually, to think that with their crazy lives they tried many times and only got it right in 2018, and many things happened during that time like the death of superman and all that

----- Added 27 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by costas22
      This. They could have ended the season with an engagement, but so much build up and screentime for a wedding that never happened in present time? That makes big chunks of this season worthless imo.
      this is really unfair since we didn't see lois picking bridesmaid dresses, cake tastings, not a single wedding planning scene from clois in S10, they only added bits of dialogue here and there to show that they were doing it offscreen. I can understand that you may dislike even bits of conversation if you're a shipper of other couples and if you simply don't like clois or aren't into romance, but really, to claim that they invested a lot of time in the wedding is really unfair because it never happened on the show, they did give a lot of focus to the relationship but not to the wedding.

I do think that they created unnecessary drama before the wedding but it only started at the last 5 minutes of Prophecy. And if we're talking about the wedding scene itself, well as someone who has grown up loving Superman and the Lois and Clark romance (and they're millions out there) watching Lois Lane and Clark Kent getting married on tv is something you rarely see, and they showed us everything, we got the visuals of the wedding, the walk down the aisle just like the comics one, the vows, the dress, the family being there, the sense that they're committing their lives to each other. Something we're not going to see in god knows how long, so it's not a waste of time, they gave us all that now even if it's not legal and they signed the documents in offscreenville 7 years later.

I doubt we'll ever see a wedding for lois and clark in the next 50 years.

And judging by all the reactions, even from guys who claimed that they were crying, the wedding scenes completed an emotional finale, and it deserves the time it had on the finale.
      Last edited by Rianna; 05-18-2011, 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Rianna
        this is really unfair since we didn't see lois picking bridesmaid dresses, cake tastings, not a single wedding planning scene from clois in S10, they only added bits of dialogue here and there to show that they were doing it offscreen. I can understand that you make dislike even bits of conversation if you're a shipper of other couples and if you simply don't like clois or aren't into romance, but really, to claim that they invested a lot of time in the wedding is really unfair because it never happened on the show, they did give a lot of focus to the relationship but not to the wedding.
        As I said before, the only real focus the wedding got was the Bachelor/Bachelorette party episode. But with the way some are going on about it, you'd think we'd gotten whole episodes with Lois picking bridesmaid dresses instead of a quick comment to doing so and that every scene between Lois and Clark in Masquerade was her doing seating arrangements.

All the planning of the wedding happened off screen with dialog that just told it was happening.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
          As I said before, the only real focus the wedding got was the Bachelor/Bachelorette party episode. But with the way some are going on about it, you'd think we'd gotten whole episodes with Lois picking bridesmaid dresses instead of a quick comment to doing so and that every scene between Lois and Clark in Masquerade was her doing seating arrangements.

All the planning of the wedding happened off screen with dialog that just told it was happening.
          Exactly, and even Fortune despite being supposedly about their Bachelor/Bachelorette parties we only got glimpses of that in the last minutes of the episode, if you think about it it didn't feature anything wedding-related and clark only had 2 scenes with Lois, it was about making Clark spend all of his screen time with Chloe and her send off.

Seriously, there was no time devoted to planning the wedding, just a line here and there. I think some are mixing this with the fact that Lois and Clark's relationship was a big part of the season, something that was expected since this was the last season.

Comment

By Kansas law they'd have a common law marriage by that point so I don't think it was really an issue of them waiting I still think it was a vow renewal that they were going to sneak away and do to celebrate their anniversary. New rings are usually bought or old one's are usually engraved with something at a vow renewal and it would explain why there was no wedding with family and friends just them. It's not like they were hiding their relationship from the planet, if so then who did people think Lois was engaged to with that rock on her finger, not to mention their mail would be sent to their apartment. Which they live in together. If they were attempting to hide a relationship then they were doing it WAY wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by stealcat

Still, I am a little aggravated at how they handled the whole thing at the end. They even made it look like Clark was still working in the basement, and that doesn't make a darn bit of sense considering what we saw in Homecoming...

"I'm so confused!"
              Heartily seconded. They really could have handled it so much better. Since it defies any form of comprehension that "Sentient Power" Clark and "Force of Nature" Lois never found the time in seven years to finally get married, here's an absolutely unverifiable new theory:

Since that final scene so clearly follows the beats of that flash forward scene from Salvation (where it is strongly implied Clark and Lois are married, since she clearly has a band on), what if it was originally scripted to actually be 2013, but sloppily rewritten at some point to be 2018 for some reason close to filming? Maybe when Rosenbaum agreed to return at the last minute and they only had a few days to hastily revamp the last half.

I can seriously just see them congratulating themselves for so cleverly and quickly fixing whatever problem the felt like they had to fix by crossing out 2013 and writing in 2018. A two year wait to get married remains surprising and unsatisfying, but still verges on the plausible, and would have been significantly less "WTF!!" than seven. It explains why Lois is wearing a band in Salvation: They made it to the minister! This would also neatly explain why 2018 Lois is acting and dressed more like 2013 Lois than 2017 Lois, why Clark was implied to have a lower level office, etc. It was supposed to be a feature, not a series of cringeworthy bugs. But, sadly, that's not what we got.

Unfortunately, no matter what the reason, it's also abundantly clear that all the people posting here (myself included) are putting waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more cogitation into this issue than the PTB ever did.
              Last edited by PumaManRules; 05-19-2011, 05:35 AM. Reason: Fixing spelling errors. doh.

Comment

@alseptien Why did Lois and Clark wait 7 years to get married?

@mikebrown19 Every time they tried to get hitched some other save interrupted them.

@mikebrown19 But it doesn't matter, cause they're in LOVE!
                [Facepalm]

Well, there you have it. Clark Kent and Lois Lane, officially, in seven years (that's over 61320 hours, if you are counting) could never find one hour to even go to a courthouse at lunchtime. The Justice League must have all quit when Superman showed up.

What a profoundly lame creative decision, to choose to end their season-long buildup to the wedding on this fairly unsatisfying and nonsensical note. The mind boggles. Oof. That is some bad, bad, bad, bad storytelling.
                Last edited by PumaManRules; 05-21-2011, 05:17 PM. Reason: Disambiguation.

Comment

Originally posted by PumaManRules
                  [Facepalm]

Well, there you have it. Clark Kent and Lois Lane, officially, could never find an hour to even go to a courthouse at lunchtime. The Justice League must have all quit when Superman showed up. If this wasn't foisted on them by DC/WB and they choose to end their season-long buildup to the wedding on this fairly unsatisfying and nonsensical note in order to be overly "clever", then the mind boggles. Oof. Bad, bad, bad, bad storytelling.
                  I will say - though I agree with some of what you just said - that I do love that SV has now pretty much done the only version of this story where Superman and Lois Lane lived together - obviously still as lovers too - for seven years before getting married. Really, that just blows my mind.

But I don't think they did this to be clever. I think they did it to try and "line up" with the mythos - or, in this case, the Donner movies. Not because DC/WB made them, but because they wanted to, even though to do so made absolutely no sense wrt the SV Universe (or hell, common sense).

Comment

I will say - though I agree with some of what you just said - that I do love that SV has now pretty much done the only version of this story where Superman and Lois Lane lived together - obviously still as lovers too - for seven years before getting married. Really, that just blows my mind.

But I don't think they did this to be clever. I think they did it to try and "line up" with the mythos - or, in this case, the Donner movies. Not because DC/WB made them, but because they wanted to, even though to do so made absolutely no sense wrt the SV Universe (or hell, common sense).
                    While matching it up with the Donner moviess makes since, they have always stated that Smallville was it's own story, so I don't know why they would do that. When this whole season was about pushing Lois and Clark together. It would have been easy to have them married in that scene and instead of meeting the minister they could have been heading to dinner, then Clark has to go do the big save and tell Lois he'll meet her there,

Hopefully when the DVD release comes out there will be some commentary where cast/crew touch up, as to why that was done. Or better yet maybe there is an alternate ending where they were married at the end.

Unless of course they are married and it took them seven years to go the ring thing. (Depending if one things vow/blessing or the ring seal the deal) Either way, I hope this episode with have commentary.

Comment

I agree, they wanted to do this. What I don't understand is trying to line up with any mythos when they have clearly created their own. If their desire was to line up with the movies or any other mythos, it would have made more sense to have them get engaged in the Finale versus a botched wedding. Especially with them deciding to get a "quickie" wedding because we saw how easy that is to do with Chlollie. That doesn't take 7 years to do.

Comment

This. 7 years of living together. And if DC did not ask for the mind wipe of Lex then why would they care about this? And if they did care, wouldn't they want them married sooner rather than later? Instead of living together for that long?

It makes absolutely no sense at all to me, and mho, it was all about this bizarre need to line up to the Donner verse, which it seems nobody(aka WB/DC) asked them to do.

Odd.

Comment

Originally posted by supes0
                          This. 7 years of living together. And if DC did not ask for the mind wipe of Lex then why would they care about this? And if they did care, wouldn't they want them married sooner rather than later? Instead of living together for that long?

It makes absolutely no sense at all to me, and mho, it was all about this bizarre need to line up to the Donner verse, which it seems nobody(aka WB/DC) asked them to do.

Odd.
                          Yep, I completely agree.

That last scene (which, to their great credit, TW and ED still almost make believable; too bad they had to go out like that...) just hits you across the face like a dead fish, it makes so little sense. To take one of the plot lines that had been central to the show, and a really innovative and creative addition to the mythos at that, and then choose to dispense with it so cavalierly and unsatisfyingly after a season-long buildup just to match up with a 30-year old movie that is about to get rebooted anyway defies comprehension. What a terrible idea, and what an insult to the audience and the characters. Especially when simply showing them as having gotten married in Offscreenville would have been so very easy to do and capped off the plot line effectively.

I never thought that I would say this, but it just now occurred to me typing this that the unsatisfying conclusion to the SVClark/Lois wedding plot line may have in my opinion (almost) single-handedly made this episode worse than "These are the Voyages..." in my book. Wow.
                          Last edited by PumaManRules; 05-21-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

There is only one way I could have logically bought a seven year wait, and that is if there had been a scene - before the end - of Lois and Clark talking about how their lives from this moment (after the plane save/President interview, pushing away a planet) were now changed and they decide to hold off to make sure their relationship is strong enough to handle this new direction.

(Of course, this would have required actually showing Clark really going public, and Lois publishing the first Superman interview, etc. instead of leaving it up to the views imagination, but I digress).

Then, then I could have bough the seven year delay. Maybe. My mind has already filled in a year of a gap from Clark getting killed by Doomsday, but I would totally get them saying "Okay, our lives have just changed drastically here. Lets make sure we can maintain what we have in this new storm before we try again" and then seeing, in the bookend, how long it took for them to get back to it.

As it plays though, it's just weird and lazy - making the views have to fill in the blanks since we know how it all ends. (Which is exactly what they did when it came to Clark telling Lois he's an alien earlier in the season).

Comment

I think the seven years delay thing was a stint to 'allign to the mythos' which is pointless because they're showing us that Lois and Clark have been living together for 7 years and they're more crazy about each other than they were back then (stairs-eyesex made that point very, very clearly) but they cannot take out fifteen minutes to make it legal.

It's pretty much like the Lex mindwipe and Chloe comic book crap (don't get me started on that one) which is something that was done to give a homage/align with the mythos but never really had a point from the show's story POV.

Lois and Clark got their happy ending so for a fan who liked this ship has no reason to complain, but at the same time they tried to make the die hard comic fans happy who thought that their wedding was happening too soon. That's the only reason I can understand.

Either way, one of the many bad writing decisions of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by PumaManRules
                                [Facepalm]

Well, there you have it. Clark Kent and Lois Lane, officially, in seven years (that's over 61320 hours, if you are counting) could never find one hour to even go to a courthouse at lunchtime. The Justice League must have all quit when Superman showed up.

What a profoundly lame creative decision, to choose to end their season-long buildup to the wedding on this fairly unsatisfying and nonsensical note. The mind boggles. Oof. That is some bad, bad, bad, bad storytelling.
                                Mwahahahaha! Awesome!! Thank you Al Septien for confirming more of TPTB's stupidity.

See, I knew all that googling won't prove anything. Must say a part of me is getting a perverse pleasure out of this. *evil grin*

They never, never should have attempted this marriage in the first place.
                                Last edited by Exedore; 05-21-2011, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎