Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lois and Clark wait 7 years to marry?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked it. For a lot of reasons. First, it was a clever way to line it up with the mythos. More importantly, I think it was ultra-romantic: it in effect extends the wedding over seven years, instead of being finished in a day. Because while they were in effect married right then and there-- having exchanged their vows in front of the congregation and all. All that was missing was exchanging rings. And this part they kept in play, I would assume intentionally, because it is-- in Lois's words-- "oh so hot".

Playfully, she can still be "Miss Lane" to him.

When it comes to love and sex, there's nothing hotting than delaying fulfillment. It's an intimate little game Clark and Lois are playing, a private playful game. I thought it was delightful!

Comment

I thought it lined up very well with the mythos. Didn't bother me at all that they didn't finish the ceremony at the church. I will always miss TW and ED portrayal of the most iconic couple ever!

Comment

I think the more important question is, why did we have an entire year rushing to the alter for a wedding that will take another 7 years? Why did we have the entire first half of the finale dedicated to a wedding that never happened? Why was everyone but Tess left to schmaltzy dialogue in part one while she moved the plot on?

Comment

could just be once he became superman and was able to fly he did some exploring and lois gave him a chance to discover the galaxy and use his new status to give up to people around the world. she let him fullfill his destiny and once he got it all sorted out and what not and came back to be a home town hero they were able to spend more time together and what not. and superman probably gave lois some time for her destiny to be the worlds greatest reporter. so they wanted each other to get what they should be before they got married.

Comment

Boy, this thread will definitely be merged with the clois thread soon.

In any case, I've read some good speculation regarding as to why we never saw via ON SCREEN on Clark and Lois being legally married.

There's a strong possibility that the producers/show may have been pressured by DC to hold off on Clark and Lois legally being married until he's had a few years of officially being Superman. And given that the show officially ends when he's Superman, well this was the only way of allowing audiences to see on what a wedding "could/would" be like for the couple.

Also, the question regarding why it may have taken them this long, well it's not really hard to believe that they may have both encountered several threats and villains along the way that just happened to ruin their other wedding attempts.

In any case, like others have said, what's important is that they're married in the areas that count. It's only a marriage of legality that they had yet to take care of.

Comment

Originally posted by Estro-gen X
              I think the more important question is, why did we have an entire year rushing to the alter for a wedding that will take another 7 years? Why did we have the entire first half of the finale dedicated to a wedding that never happened? Why was everyone but Tess left to schmaltzy dialogue in part one while she moved the plot on?
              Never notice but Clark did met Lios 7 years ago and he marries her 7 years from now. I wonder why it was push back so far.

Comment

Align with mythos

Comment

This. They could have ended the season with an engagement, but so much build up and screentime for a wedding that never happened in present time? That makes big chunks of this season worthless imo.

Comment

They got married but figuratively speaking. The moment they exchanged their vows, pledging eternal love and support to one another, that was it. The rest is pure technicality.

What I wonder is:
                    * did they remain engaged the entire time?
                    OR
                    * did they choose to hide their relationship from the public?

I would have thought the former but rewatching the final scene raised some doubts in me with Clark calling Lois “Miss Lane” and Lois looking very secretive when asking about the wedding rings.
                    Last edited by Ellsbury; 05-14-2011, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsbury
                      They got married but figuratively speaking. The moment they exchanged their vows, pledging eternal love and support to one another, that was it. The rest is pure technicality.

What I wonder is:
                      * did they remained engaged the entire time?
                      OR
                      * did they choose to hide their relationship from the public?

I would have thought it was the former but rewatching the final scene raised some doubts in me with Clark calling Lois “Miss Lane” and Lois looking very secretive when she asked about the wedding rings.
                      No they didn't. You don't complete your vows until the rings 'bind' you. Even then that isn't legal until the certificate is signed. They didn't get married, they get married in 7 years which is why Lois is sent 'something blue' by Chloe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsbury
                        What you call technicality, is actually legality. They are not legally married, so they aren't married. Married in their hearts, minds, yeah sure if you (generic you, not you specifically Ellsbury) need to do that mental gymnastics to be ok with the finale, but they are not married.

Comment

No they didn't. You don't complete your vows until the rings 'bind' you. Even then that isn't legal until the certificate is signed. They didn't get married, they get married in 7 years which is why Lois is sent 'something blue' by Chloe.
                          I get that. What I meant is that they may not be married under Kansas law but it's not what it's important. The point of all this was to show (through the vows exchange) that they had no doubts anymore and that they accepted to be in each others' lives forever.

The rest is not really important...
                          Last edited by Ellsbury; 05-14-2011, 07:16 AM.

Comment

If this was done to "line up with the mythos" then it was pretty silly, IMHO. The show has always had its own mythos. The guests at the wedding would have expected them to reschedule the wedding. But the writers couldn't resist putting things in to "line up with the mythos".

Actually, I would have assumed, until I saw this scene, that they would have had the marriage certificate signed shortly after things settled down. The just needed to have the preacher and some witnesses be present.

I sort of took it as a joke that Clark was hesitant to put on a gold wedding ring, seeing how he almost lost his powers permanently the first time.
                            Last edited by WalterK; 05-14-2011, 07:23 AM.

Comment

This!

I liked Part 1, but boy did it drag at times, especially because of the wedding stuff.

Comment

Yea, while I liked the scene of Clark and Lois at the door talking to each other, it felt like it lasted a long time. I wish the Clois of part 1 had been the plot of Prophecy rather than that silliness and then filled this in with some more darkseid/Luthor/Superman stuff. They spent too much time with Clark and Lois wanting to get to the church on time, proving that they wanted to be together forever, and getting the wedding set up for them to wait 7 whole years before they try again. And this next time it seems like no one else knows about it...? No one knows Lois and Clark are a couple in the future? idk, that part just didn't make sense to me. The attempts to line up with mythos are where the episode faltered I feel. Embracing the fact that they have their own story to service would probably have worked better.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎