Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think that Superman issue of him renouncing USA citzenship has effect?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think that Superman issue of him renouncing USA citzenship has effect?

Even though the movie is'nt comming out until Dec 2012, do you think it will effect Superman in any way and of course in the movie comming up, any backlash.

If this thread does not belong here please let me know, and apologies ahead of time.
    Yes, it's gone hurt and all the way to the box office
    0%
    No, it's just one issue of Action Comics, he is still Superman
    0%

I don't think it will affect the movie in anyway or that it has anything to do with a British playing Superman... the only connection it has with that movie is David S. Goyer... but i don't think it will influence the movie in anyway.. I like that storyline though.. cos it makes sense that other countries would view Superman as only an agent of the United States since it is the American values he withholds.. am sure it will be a very good storyline.. but i don't think it would affect the movie.. at least not this upcoming one.. maybe down the story when this franchise holds i could see it making it to the sequel or later.. JMO

Comment

If it had had a lasting impact, then yeah, I think it would've had a big effect. But it was a short story that the media blew out of proportion. People have short memories. I doubt this will still be remembered next December.

Comment

I doubt it. I'd be surprised if the movie even hinted at Superman being a strictly American hero in the first place since SR didn't. I think we saw more glimpses of him being active in other countries than we saw him doing anything in America in that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by j03superbat
          If it had had a lasting impact, then yeah, I think it would've had a big effect. But it was a short story that the media blew out of proportion. People have short memories. I doubt this will still be remembered next December.

Yeah... the media did blow it out of proportion, and that pissed me off more than anything.

As much as I railed against the selection of Cavil for Supes... I certainly did not think they should have tied the one off story to the fact that the film has picked a Brit to play Supes in the movie.

The two are not related, and the media should have not acted like these two instances were tied together.

As far as it hurting the film... to be honest... it could. I think there are people who are very sensitive to all the PC crap going on in our country at the moment that are just really sick and tired of it.. they are tired of hearing anyone's PC crap at all now. I know, I live in Oklahoma, have lived in Dallas... and I am telling you there is a huge PC backlash in many parts of our country.

Then you top it all off with recent events (our Govt. giving sensitivity to bin Laden's burial, etc.) and somewhere the proverbial straw is gonna crush a camel's back.

So... take it for what it's worth, after all this is only one person's perspective. But... yeah, I thought this was a really stupid thing to do prior to a Brit playing Superman.

Comment

That single short story is much more likely to hurt short term comic sales than it is numbers for a movie that hasn't even started filming yet.

Comment

I really hope that the controversy is forgotten soon it's only a few pages one of many shorts in the comic and DC themselves did not make that big a deal of it only mentioned the multiple copies of Doomsday.

Comment

Pretty much living and breathing Superman for the past decade, I have realized he is Earth's protector. I mean, it's mentioned all over the place for the past 3 decades. He protects the world, because he can and wants to. The issue though, did hit me harder than I thought. It is the American values that make Superman what he is..Metropolis is the city he protects, not just because he lives and works there as Clark Kent, but because he loves it. He wants to inspire people around the world to be better, but it's Metropolis where he sleeps every night (occasionally Smallville). America is where he was created, and he was created for America.
                On to the movie though..I don't think it will haunt the movie. Like everyone else is saying, this is a complete re-imaging. As long as the movie shows his awesomeness, and has a great storyline, it will do just fine. Even if he doesn't claim to be an American in the movie, as long as he doesn't blatantly state he's not American, nobody will notice.

Comment

It won't have any effect, unless someone is stupid enough to make that a storyline in a future Superman movie.

Comment

Originally posted by mbozzo
                    It won't have any effect, unless someone is stupid enough to make that a storyline in a future Superman movie.
                    I agree with you!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎