Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was this episode necessary or pointless?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BadToad
    Heck, Lois even calls Clark's plan "stupid" in this episode.
    Which there's no reason for. It's pretty obvious that the writers want to continually tell us just how good Lois is for Clark so having her turn around and bash Clark's plan is just another example of how the writers need to get a clue when it comes to what messages they are trying to send with this tv show.

It seems to me that the writing in this episode was a whole lot less about serving Clark's character, and far more about advancing Oliver's skull tattoo storyline, once again validating how strong/supportive/etc Lois is, and bringing back Zod because he was on the "bucket list". But as far as what the episode actually did for Clark? Well, ya know, it didn't do much at all. He helped to move those others arcs along, but in the process, his plans had to be shown as "stupid" and wrong.
    I'm still wondering why Clark is even going to throw on the suit. Where is the build up to that point? Are we going to have Lois tell Clark to put the suit on, just like the glasses? Is Oliver going to tell Clark to step up? Will a gigantic clown magically appear in the finale and destroy the entire Smallville universe? Nothing would surprise me at this point because yes...the writers are that bad.

It's nice that Oliver got to embark on a journey at the end of this episode after the writers created an OOC moment for Clark, but shouldn't it be Clark going on the journey? Shouldn't these last few episodes end with him pondering his future or something? I honestly don't get it. The writers keep saying that the end is all about Clark, so maybe that means the last 10 minutes of the series finale because right now, other characters seem to be getting the spotlight and an actual storyline that will lead them into the finale while Clark is left with marrying Lois and perhaps getting involved with the darkness plot in the 11th hour(series finale).

I also think it's amazing how there is no mention of Lex's possible return on the show itself. What is he going to just show up in the finale out of nowhere? If I wasn't watching the promos, I would have no idea that he was coming back. Just think back to season 7 when Brainiac returned. There were episodes prior to Brainiac returning that actually...wait for it...built up his return. Imagine that. What a concept. But these writers? Well, they sit down in the writers room and someone probably says.."let's bring this character back for this episode because we need to close out their story." So out of nowhere, the character just enters the show again without any setup. That's the true definition of cobbling stories together in what is very much a cobbled together final season of Smallville.

The PZ crystal at WT only gets you in the PZ. The only way out of the PZ is by the console that uses the blood of El. The FoS may get them out too.
    Having Tess destroying the PZ crystal does absolutely nothing.
    According to the dialogue given to Clark in this episode, the crystal at WT does indeed close the portal.
    Last edited by myankskent; 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissWofflez
      The word 'FILLER' should be erased from Ksites dictionary .... Who's with me?
      Points at icon.

Comment

• I can see people having a wide range of perspectives on this one. For me, it is such a necessary episode because it highlights Clark's inner strength, that despite having no powers, he can rise above the circumstances physically and emotionally. It also shows a marked difference between him and other superheroes. Faced by kill or be killed dead end, he chose neither. Clark always finds a way out in the darkest moments in his life.

Comment

• Originally posted by H.B.
          if this wasnt the last ever few episodes then it would have been good but these ARE the last EVER few episodes the dominion episode had no real progression
          No real progression? Clark is shown having sufficient courage to take a sword through the body-- when powerless and vulnerable-- in order to foil Darkseid's plans. Thus bringing the season-long Darkseid arc closer to its climactic conclusion. Shows Clark not only courageous, but also crafty and smart: he outwits his nemesis. There is nothing in this episode Clark does that Superman would not do. I see Smallville's Clark Kent being brought in line with legendary Superman; and that, I believe, is what Smallville is supposed to be all about.

Iconic Superman is also closely tied up with Lois Lane. So the "mere" relationship stuff is essential to the story of Superman. Lois Lane was the first secondary character introduced in the comics, she's been a fixture there for 70 years, and an essential part of the movies (certainly of the good movies). "Dominion" had plenty of important Lois material, and a superb homecoming scene between him and her. I did not fail to notice that this scene, which traditionally on Smallville has been set in the Kent barn, is now set in Lois & Clark's new apartment. That is groundbreaking!

I don't understand this idea of "filler". If Clark doing Supermanly things with supervillains, showing himself smart and courageous, and having Supermanly scenes with Lois, with loyalty and drama, is to be called "filler", what exactly would not be filler? Want Clark to appear in the suit? Okay, that'll take up maybe 15 seconds of screen time. Want Clark to fly? Okay, half a minute of screen time. Tops. So if they put these scenes in episode 10-19, what would be left for 10-22, the conclusion?

Comment

• Well since the bow of Orion thing came to not... I guess this episode was kinda pointless... *sigh*

Comment

• Well, it gives follow-up to Zod after the events of "Salvation". It shows that Major Zod has merged with the phantom of General Zod. Meaning that the S9 character was not some throw away villain, but part of a larger story: how Zod got his body back. It also ends with an homage to the first two Superman movies, with Zod and two others trapped in that PZ mirror, that could be seen as a tease/set-up for a future event similar to Superman II (where Zod and these two others break out, and start raining havoc on Earth). So, the episode is also setting up potential future events, that we can imagine happening after the series finale (and after season 11).

It's important to remember that Smallville was an origin story. It wasn't just telling its own story, but setting up what will come in the future (i.e. after the series finale). Even the season 11 comic book (set during Clark's first year as Superman) merely introduced Hank Henshaw, and set him on the path to becoming Cyborg-Superman (rather than having him become a fully formed Cyborg-Superman in the series). Combine that with the fact that Doomsday is now buried underneath Metropolis (and the introduction of Conner Kent/Superboy), and you've got set up for the events of both "The Death of Superman" and "Reign of the Supermen!" down the line.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎