No announcement yet.

Lois turning down interviews

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uncaged
    Did it strike anyone else as strange that Lois and Clark would both be interested in where Booster Gold came from but Lois would turn down an interview with him when he's holding an exclusive spot open for her? She didn't even have to write a soaring review of him like she will with Superman, all she has to do is interview him to find out what Clark was really worried about.

Heck, did it strike anyone else as odd that the DP wasn't breathing down her neck that she turned down an exclusive interview with such an obviously big news headline? I get that she backs the Blur, but I know that jumped out at me during those scenes. Just goes to show I guess how much Perry White is needed at the DP to remind Lois that she can't always pick and choose her stories. Aren't reporters given assignments sometimes?
    I thought it was odd too... seemed like a good way to spring a trap on him...

Comment

i think its cause Booster is a tool and he got on Lois' nerves and she didnt like the fact he was there to take clarks place so she didnt want anything to do with him.

And lois isnt the only reporter at the DP shes only famous cause of the Superman thing. Otherwise shes just an above average reporter. Also everyone probably already knew she was obsessed with the blur and how any article she did on Booster would have been bashing him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rianna
        Giving into his wishes and doing the interview knowing there was something really wrong behind his actions and sensing that there was a bad outcome resulting from this just to get that promotion faster would have gone against her integrity as a reporter.
        William Randolph Hearst is credited with saying that news is anything that someone wants to keep out of the paper, with all else being advertising. For Lois, interviewing Booster would have been like simply reprinting transcripts from a press conference - some news value but not the real story.

Comment

Its weird. When you refuse to do your job don't you get fired? Lois is as bias as Fox News. Does she write an opinion column?

Comment

I don't think it had to do with any bias on Lois' part. Yes, she didn't like what Booster was trying to do with replacing Clark's legacy. But more than that, it sounded like Booster wanted her to print a self-serving fluff piece that talks about how much a great guy Booster Gold is. He was a showboat at the start of the episode and he wasn't going to give her a hard hitting, indepth interview but would expect her to lob soft balls (give easy/self-serving questions) at him. That's not the kind of journalism she's interested in doing--just as it hasn't sit well with her in the past (see "Gemini"--but that in itself is a discussion for another thread).

Comment

Booster Gold was not Lois's editor or employer. Had her editor said, "Write the story!" and she refused then that's one thing. When she refused Booster, she refused to promote a glory seeker.

Cat wanted to promote Booster in order to promote herself & thus get promoted. In the elevator with Lois Cat says, "You keep backing your horse, Lois, and I'll back mine."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscowgirl
                Booster Gold was not Lois's editor or employer. Had her editor said, "Write the story!" and she refused then that's one thing. When she refused Booster, she refused to promote a glory seeker.

Cat wanted to promote Booster in order to promote herself & thus get promoted. In the elevator with Lois Cat says, "You keep backing your horse, Lois, and I'll back mine."
                Exactly

Comment

No but she was offered an exclusive on a massive story that would sell heaps of papers. What editor in the world would not want that for their paper or who wouldn't discipline a reporter who refused to report on it when given the opportunity? Only in bizarro world would she get a promotion especially after her partisan reporting that railed against public sentiment and probably lost them quite a few readers. Its a business.

Comment

Originally posted by Estro-gen X
                    No but she was offered an exclusive on a massive story that would sell heaps of papers. What editor in the world would not want that for their paper or who wouldn't discipline a reporter who refused to report on it when given the opportunity? Only in bizarro world would she get a promotion especially after her partisan reporting that railed against public sentiment and probably lost them quite a few readers. Its a business.
                    Lois got the promotion for writing a massive story about the dangerous blue scarab weapon that Kord Industries lost and a teenager recovered and managed to control. That probably sold a few newspapers and was actually a real story.

Comment

Originally posted by Estro-gen X
                      The real story would have been writing an expose about a thief and a fraud using his knowledge of the future to his advantage who, thanks to another hero's advice made a genuine save and kind of redeemed himself. IMO, that's tabloid material and I'm glad Lois didn't accept the interview. When Booster offered her the interview, she didn't have all the information, and when she finally had it, I'm glad she didn't destroy what was left of his pride and let him have his little moment of glory.

Comment

Lois got the promotion for writing a massive story about the dangerous blue scarab weapon that Kord Industries lost and a teenager recovered and managed to control. That probably sold a few newspapers and was actually a real story.
                        Agreed, she went with the real story, instead of the tabloid one, as lois fan, am happy about that.

Comment

I just remembered that when the modern Superboy first showed up in the comics, Lois effectively turned down an interview with him as well. True, the kid made himself at home at her desk, harangued her about his supersave being buried on Page 6, and manhandled Jimmy when the photographer called him Superboy. So Lois was even more justified in dismissing him as a gloryhound.

Comment

But that wasn't occupieng her at the time Booster offered the exclusive.

Anyways, Lois turning down Booster didn't strike me as an odd thing to do since Lois backed up superheroes during the VRA. She was right there so maybe her word weigthed more now.

And who is the editor of the Daily Planet again? Tess? I think she understands if Lois wants to stick to the Home team with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Anu
                              how does not writing what you are offered to write (as a report should) make you into a "great reporter"? I'm sorry but I have a hard time understanding that.
                              Agreed, picking and choosing the news you report isn't necessarily part of the job description.

That's like working for Sports Illustrated and choosing to ignore whatever the Lakers, Yankees or Cowboys are doing because you just plain don't like those teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Anu
                                how does not writing what you are offered to write (as a report should) make you into a "great reporter"? I'm sorry but I have a hard time understanding that.
                                Because even in our real world all kinds of people are always interested to get fluff pieces about them into the papers. Celebrities that don't want to be forgotten, companies that want to advertise their newest product and so on.

If you were to give in to such requests all the time, you'd never have the time to write an actual journalistic article that contains some substance.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎