No announcement yet.

Castiel is surely turning into the next Lucifer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castiel is surely turning into the next Lucifer

Boy oh boy, Castiel is on a very, very slippery slope with his actions over the entire season. The war in Heaven that Castiel decided to fight for originally with pure intentions has corrupted him incredibly.

First, back in The Third Man, we got a glimpse of him putting that kid through a lot of pain so he could find out which angel the kid made the deal with. This was the first step in his downfall. He said he needed to do it because there was no other way to identify the angel. By the end of that episode, he did end up breaking the kid's deal with Balthazar, but that was not his primary reason for doing what he did. Had it not been for the Winchesters...namely Dean since Sam's soul was in hell back then & he could've given a rat's ass about the kid, that wouldn't have happened. Castiel's reason for doing that to the kid was to retrieve the weapons not so he could break the deal, but so he could secure the weapons for his own side in the war.

In You Can't Handle the Truth, Castiel only appears when Dean mentions Gabriel's Horn of Truth and disappears for the rest of the episode saying that he will try to find out more. Between what happened in this episode & Castiel not answering Sam's calls for help when he first got out of hell, it seems like Castiel is more & more going down the path where he only cares about the Winchesters when he has something to benefit them.

In Family Matters, Castiel checks to see if Sam has a soul & leaves to go back to fighting his war. He didn't seem to do anything bad here initially, but if things are as bad as I suspect, then I think he did do something here that I will mention further down.

In Caged Heat, Sam again has to trick Castiel into helping them by mentioning the Ark of the Covenant. Very interestingly, Castiel tells Dean about the consequences of getting Sam's soul back after plans had been made to raid Crowley's prison. The way he brought it up makes it seem like he was trying to give Dean 2nd thoughts about it while also getting Sam to hear what could happen to him if he got his soul back. The way he brought it up just as they were about to leave for Crowley's prison makes it seem like Castiel had a personal stake in Sam not getting his soul back. He does help them break inside. But then something very interesting happens. Samuel uses an angel banishing sigil to banish Castiel. We know from the episodes In The Beginning and The Song Remains The Same that Mary & Samuel knew nothing about angels, only that they haven't been on Earth for a very very long time. So before he died, Samuel knew nothing about angels. After he was resurrected, he never really dealt with them until Castiel showed up since they were all in Heaven, so I have to assume that during that year when Sam & Samuel went hunting, they didn't run into any angels, at least not as far as Sam knew. So the banishing sigil was something Samuel shouldn't have known of. I doubt Sam would have taught him about it since like I said, they didn't run into angels. So who did? I suspect Castiel did in private so he didn't have to be involved in the attack on Crowley and would make it look like Samuel made him disappear. Meanwhile, Sam & Dean get attacked and almost die. Now we know that Castiel does not want them dead, but if they did die, we know that he could resurrect them himself, so it wouldn't be a problem. So I'm painting a picture here that Castiel set Sam & Dean up. Doing so would be something that wouldn't be farfetched after torturing that kid in The Third Man since both show Castiel losing his value for human life & his stance against human suffering. What's more interesting in this episode is how when tortured by Meg, Crowley says the same exact thing about the dangers of Sam getting his soul back that Castiel said earlier. As if Crowley is on the same page as Castiel. Ultimately, Crowley takes Ruby's knife as Meg is about to use it to kill him and breaks through the devil's trap but Castiel shows up & burns the bag of bones, killing Crowley. Or so it seemed. I theorized last week that Castiel likely got promoted to archangel or promoted himself by seizing the Heavenly power it takes to become one so that he is on par with Raphael as a general of his own army. In my analysis, I also suggested that he & Crowley had a partnership to ultimately access Purgatory so the monster, demon & angel souls there could be used to power Castiel against Raphael. I suggested the possibility that Castiel, now an archangel, used his powers to alter reality & create a fake Crowley, much like Gabriel/the Trickster created fake versions of himself, to make the Winchesters believe that he actually killed Crowley. He could have used his powers to send the real Crowley away & replace him with a fake of his own creation during the melee so he could protect his partner.

The next big episode to show what Castiel is up to when you apply things we currently know about him is The French Mistake. In this episode, Balthazar gives Sam a key that he claims opens the place where all the Angelic Weapons are stored. He then sends Sam & Dean to an alternate reality to keep them from Raphael's angels. Well, they ultimately get back to find Raphael waiting for them but Balthazar shows up & tells Raphael that the key & sending the Winchesters to an alternate reality was all a trick to distract Raphael. Then Castiel shows up confirming that he has all the Angelic Weapons in his possession. What's interesting here is what we learned in the following episode, My Heart Will Go On that Sam & Dean didn't know. They didn't make a big deal of what happened in this episode because they thought Balthazar was a dick & wouldn't put it past him in using them. But what they didn't know that the Fate in My Heart Will Go On brought up is that Balthazar answers to Castiel and how Castiel was the one who really used the Winchesters as a tool to distract Raphael's side. This is something that there's no question about.

Then came My Heart Will Go On, which showed us how far Castiel has gone. We found out in this episode that it wasn't Balthazar who decided to save the Titanic just because he hated a song but because Castiel wanted the souls that would be created & given to all those people who were born as descendants to the passengers of the Titanic. Meanwhile, he hid the true nature of why the Titanic was saved & who was responsible for it. In this episode, it really became apparent that Castiel was turning into a deceiver much like Satan/Lucifer is known to be. Also in this episode, Castiel only shows up when the Fate threatens to kill Sam & Dean with the gas in that building & later by dropping the rooftop AC system on them. Until then, he was perfectly OK with the Fate killing them one by one, because my guess is that he was collecting the souls of those people and wanted her to kill all 50000. At the end of the episode, he tells them that he wanted them to remember how powerful Fate was so that they don't forget that he's fighting on the side of freedom. But this sounded like Castiel was planning to cover his ass for when Sam & Dean find out what he's up to, which he probably knows will happen soon.

Finally there's Frontierland, which really puts things in perspective. The first thing I noticed was how Castiel sent Rachael in his place. This made me think that I was right about how Castiel secretly took the power & possibly even the official ranking of archangel, though there still isn't solid proof of that...yet. He sends Sam & Dean to 1861 and then while they're away, Rachael shows up & starts speaking up about how his actions are contrary to why he originally got involved in the war. Castiel kills her, but had he not killed her & had they not fought, I could have sworn that she would have told him how much like Lucifer he had become. Then Castiel goes back to Bobby's injured. He wakes up in much better condition, but claims he doesn't have the power to get the boys back. Then he mentioned that there is one thing that could help him get them back, and right when he said that, I *knew* after watching that scene between Castiel & Rachael that he would refer to Bobby's soul, and he did. And my guess is that almost everyone else knew that's what he was referring to as well. At that point, I was very suspicious of Castiel and how he had been lying & deceiving people. I don't trust what he says anymore and I'm pretty sure he was well enough to bring Sam & Dean back on his own because he definitely looked well enough compared to how he did when he just got stabbed. In my opinion, he was using his injury as an excuse to get his hands on Bobby's soul & do who knows what with it. Perhaps he drained part of its energy for his own use in his war since Bobby said he felt like he needed 10 years to recover what Castiel did. Castiel himself compared the power of a human soul to a nuclear reactor. So I wouldn't doubt this after getting all the info we got.

So this is my episode by episode analysis with bits of speculation. Now, I'd like to piece things together some more. I said back in Family Matters that Castiel checked to see if Sam had a soul. If I'm right about a Castiel-Crowley partnership, then it would mean that both of them are on the same page, just like it seemed when they gave the same reason about the consequences of Sam getting his soul back in Caged Heat. When was the last time an angel & demon would have the same concerns about something? It's possible that Castiel back in Family Matters knew that Sam didn't have a soul and just did the checking because he wanted to make it look like he was just finding out about it to Dean & Sam. And this would mean that Castiel is a major deceiver. We know from Caged Heat that Crowley was blowing smoke about being able to get Sam's soul out of the cage. My guess is that it applies to Sam's body too & that someone else had to have resurrected Sam & Samuel, since even back in Lazarus Rising, Ruby said no demon could get someone out of hell. So the one who could have resurrected Sam & Samuel could definitely be Castiel since he had the power to do it. If Castiel is Crowley's partner & wanted to gain access to Purgatory, then it could mean that both were working together to break into Purgatory. With Castiel as his partner, Crowley could retain his status as king of hell. Meanwhile, Castiel would want the souls of the monsters, dead demons & dead angels in Purgatory for his war against Raphael. If saving the Titanic could make that much of a difference, imagine how gaining access to Purgatory could help him? Not to mention killing Crowley's demon enemies & then using their demon souls/essences in Purgatory to boost himself in his war. This would explain why Samuel out of all people was resurrected, given how much he knows about monsters, given what we found in Frontierland in that Campbell library. So Castiel would have resurrected Samuel for Crowley to use to do his "research" to find where Purgatory was and then Castiel would use those souls to power his army while Crowley used the space of Purgatory as his real estate to torture more souls into his own demons. And by doing this, Castiel would be forming a partnership with hell. Imagine Castiel using the souls/essences of dead demons to power his army. That would be very similar to Lucifer in Sam's body consuming all those demons to maintain the power of Sam as his vessel. Also, if Castiel purposely resurrected Sam's body without his soul, then it could mean that he knows something about Sam's soul being trapped in the cage that would make it a better asset for him. Suppose Sam's soul in that burning cage is like a furnace spewing more & more energy while being tortured than it normally would. If this is the case, then Castiel having Crowley as his partner really makes sense since Crowley would be his direct connection to Sam's soul in hell, which would give him an advantage over Raphael. So if this is the case, then Castiel could take periodic trips to hell to harness the energy of Sam's tortured soul. And protecting Crowley by using possible archangel powers to make everyone think he's dead would definitely work.

Or perhaps Castiel didn't know that Sam's soul was missing but did genuinely find out in Family Matters. But as of then, he decided to use that to his advantage in his war. But this would bring up the question of who really resurrected Sam then and would throw the whole Castiel-Crowley partnership into questioning since you would think Crowley would tell Castiel that Sam's soul was still there.

As for me, I tend to think they're working together and that Crowley is still alive after Castiel used possible archangel powers he now has to create an illusion of Crowley. After all, [SPOILER]there is an episode airing soon titled The Man Who Would Be King that could be referring to the king of hell (Crowley) and be a sign that he's not really dead[/SPOILER]. I also think that Castiel resurrected both Sam & Samuel & intends to use Purgatory as his Fort Knox of monster/dead demon/dead angel souls in his war. Castiel is really slipping badly. He's definitely deceiving the Winchesters about what he's covering up that Rachael & the Fate brought up these last 2 weeks & if my speculation is right, a whole lot more.

And one of the biggest things that Castiel is doing that is leading him down Lucifer's path is how he originally fought for something good (i.e. free will) just like Lucifer was initially one of the good angels, but then got swept up by all the chaos & lawlessness that's going on now. This very thing seems to be reminiscent of the original war in Heaven where Lucifer rebelled because he was for his own lawlessness by defying God and rebelled & fought Michael, the faithful son/angel. Just like Lucifer, Castiel is giving into lawlessness & is rebelling against Raphael, who Castiel himself called a traditionalist. So it seems like Raphael & Castiel are taking the places of Michael & Lucifer in the original war.

In summary, here's how I think Castiel is becoming like Lucifer:

1. His treatment of humans & human souls as inferior objects/means to an end

2. His role in the rebellion war in Heaven and how it parallels Lucifer's role in the first war that got Lucifer kicked out & landed him in hell

3. Just like Lucifer/Satan is the big deceiver, Castiel is becoming more of the same with the lies he's telling, the coverups he's making, and the way he's using Sam & Dean while having Balthazar take the blame

4. Castiel is feeding off the energy of souls & possibly even demons just as Lucifer was going to do when he took over Sam as his meatsuit

This is a great analysis and I mostly agree with it. A couple things:

i) I still don't think Cas was behind Sam's soulless resurrection. If he were getting soul energy through the cage from trips to hell, wouldn't he have done the same with Adam (or maybe he did and we just don't know about it...)? And I don't think he would have made Sam soulless just to give Samuel more help; I think one of the reasons he still helps the boys as much as he does is to ease his conscience.

ii) I don't think being an archangel corresponds to a particular power level. Certainly, all of the archangels aren't equally powerful. I think the term originally just denoted the first 4 angels, the ones who talked to God and who were later put in charge of all the others angels. Castiel might wind up in charge of Heaven, but I don't think he can become an "archangel" per se.

iii) I hope they'll be a good reason that Death didn't just tell Dean what the heck he was alluding to about why Dean should "keep digging" with regards to the souls; something other than just that Death didn't want to be too directly involved. It's a cheasy plot device for characters to withhold info. for no real reason.
    Last edited by oldfan; 04-23-2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

It's a very interesting analysis. Though I disagree with a couple of things. One is the idea that he lied about Sam's soul or had some alternate reasoning to tell Dean. Remember that Death told Dean the exact same thing. I really hope Cass is not dead or evil at the end, but it looks like the winchesters and Bobby will be trapping him in holy fire in a couple episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
        In summary, here's how I think Castiel is becoming like Lucifer:

1. His treatment of humans & human souls as inferior objects/means to an end

2. His role in the rebellion war in Heaven and how it parallels Lucifer's role in the first war that got Lucifer kicked out & landed him in hell

3. Just like Lucifer/Satan is the big deceiver, Castiel is becoming more of the same with the lies he's telling, the coverups he's making, and the way he's using Sam & Dean while having Balthazar take the blame

4. Castiel is feeding off the energy of souls & possibly even demons just as Lucifer was going to do when he took over Sam as his meatsuit
        Let me just say, I'm glad you also typed down the shortened summary, haha. Way too much to read in the weekend, lol.

2 and 3 definitely makes sense in regards to having parallels to Lucifer, BUT, I don't get 1 and 4.

Now, I know what Castiel is doing with the souls(well, not fully, but I know souls play a part in Castiel's plan in defeating Raphael, or possibly even Eve), but that is, in no way, a parallel for Lucifer. Lucifer never cared about using the souls, other than maybe seducing them into going to Hell, like the Whore was doing, but other than that, Lucy did not care about human souls. And with 4, Lucifer didn't care about the demons either; at least Castiel cared about the souls in which he understood the power they possess(Lucy probably didn't even care two cents over a soul's power as he thought humans, souls included, were meaningless), but demons? Should we say that Castiel has a plan for demons in his battle against Raphael?

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎