Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Booster?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate that Clark hates bumbling Clark. Christopher Reeves' Superman LIKED being geeky sometimes.

Emo Clark Version 2011 --- why can't I just be one of the cool kids!

Bleech.

Bad angle. This is not who inspires those who are less capable. This is someone who doesn't like geeks and bumblers and thinks they are not worthy of sexy women.

What happened to Clark's inner goodness and why the heck is he insecure at this stage in his life?

3 for the speech -- wish Clark would take his own advice.

Comment

• 10/10

I loved the episode. Booster Gold was a refreshing character, and seeing the Blue Beatles was sweet also. Not sure how I feel about the whole, Clark not embracing his cover identity as nerdy/bumbling. I do understand somewhat as they mentioned, that was his past in HS and it sucked. At the same time YOUR A SUPERHERO. He should learn to suck it up a bit imo xD it's not that bad =P

Comment

• Originally posted by morrigan01
        Frankly, I think we should have gotten episodes that dealt with the themes we got in this episode - Clark having to deal with creating a "public" identity and his internal struggle with that - more than we needed eps like Isis (except the reveal scene), Abandoned (in which the Darkseid plot was only really a secondary thing going on and didn't advance at all), Luthor, Patriot, Collateral, Fortune and yes, even Kent. And so agree about it being done during the first half of the season, not now.

If the season has been more focused on the themes found in this episode, I think it would have been at least more cohesive than what we got this season at any rate.
        OMG I TOTALLY agree. That's what I feel like has been missing for most of this season. While I liked certain aspects and was completely amazed by "moments" of certain episodes--overall, I feel like they're just giving us candy to tide us over for the real show. The finale episode.

And I actually liked Booster...but like you said, there were themes in it that I would expect to find in a story about Clark Kent before Superman, on the verge of Superman, and a series in its final year. I hate that the producers have taken this last year and made it into a giant series of "nods". It's not that awful, and a lot are well placed...but I would have liked to have seen more of this secondary disguise explored throughout the season.

B/C that conversation at the end with Clark and Lois, I felt like "finally, we're getting into some real story, some really good stuff here", after all the flash of the Booster storyline. Great, great scene...other than the Phone Booth Change scene, it's my favorite of the epsiode. I just think I'd like more like that, with all the action.

Comment

• Lighthearted but still had tension. Superheroes but without the angst. Clark Kent having numerous Superman moments. Lois Lane utilized well and surprisingly so was Cat. Booster Gold made the episode. Blue Beetle was cool.

It's a 10. It's everything I expect from the last season of Smallville.

Comment

• I found the dialogue in the second half of the show preachy and ponderous. The point about what makes a man a hero has been done better in other episodes.

Comment

• Good episode, i liked Booster

Comment

• They should have dumped this episode in favor of doing a three hour final. I would have loved to see a bigger badder battle with Darkseide

Comment

• ^Actually, they should've dumped Prophecy.

Comment

This one features cameos from a number of canon characters and the basic premise suggests it will be another episode of recurrent themes and a freak of the week. However, they approached it in a way that gives it a significance that helps you overlook the recurrent nature of the basic theme plus the oddity of Clark having to act like a clumsy dork to hide his true self. The one thing this episode has above all is heart.

Booster Gold is played as a massive narcissist effectively using a video game cheat mode to make saves and become a celebrity hero. The actor does a great job with that side of the character, and also does well when reality hits and he has to face up to it.

Jaime the bullied kid gets a lot of sympathy. Lois telling him he needs to man up and not be so shy is probably the one little flat note of the episode because it's easy for somebody who is naturally confident and ballsy to say that. She is well-meaning though rather than brash which helps. I think a lot of us have seen or know somebody like Jaime and it is hard to watch somebody so bereft of self esteem be picked on like that. You want to intervene but at the same time, it rings true that they have to fight their own battles. Blue Beetle has almost total control of him because he doesn't have any belief in himself that he can be strong. While no reason is given for why he's so put upon and clumsy, it's clear that he has lacked an arm-around-the-shoulder source of reassurance in his life.

In many ways, Lois is the 'heart' filter for the episode. She has no time for Booster Gold's ego but has well-meaning words of advice for Jaime, Booster Gold, Cat and Clark. Clark himself is the 'moral' filter for the story. Despite a little hint of jealousy that Booster Gold is stealing his thunder, he never loses sight of why he does what he does and why being a hero for Metropolis does not require him to be a visible presence.

Lois and Clark have had some great scenes in this final season, and the last part of this episode is another. Clark has concerns that people will think less of Lois because they could never see why she would ever fall for a clumsy Dork, but she does not care because she knows who he really is. She looks incredibly sexy wearing those glasses (as she did in Idol) and they actually suit her better than the ones she's wearing in the '7 years later' scenes in the Finale. It's fair to say that she reassures Clark that he shouldn't worry about what other people might think in the best way possible. She was turned on the moment he removed his glasses from her.

Comment

• Around this time, I think Geoff Johns (the writer of the episode) was trying to get a Blue Beetle Live-Action series made. So, it's no surprise that this episode feels more like an attempt to prop that character (and Booster Gold), than anything else. It's essentially a backdoor pilot (which tend to be terrible), for a show that Johns wanted to do, rather than an episode of Smallville. Heck, even the few established characters who show up barely act as themselves. Clark was suddenly a bumbling nerd in high school (as opposed to the star of the football team) and he's worried what people might think about Lois, if he acts in a certain way. He puts Lois on a pedestal, that Clark doesn't otherwise. It's well-established that Lois is a woman, who likes Whitesnake, monstertrucks, uncomfortable with uncomfortable silences, informs people around her what color her underwears is. Also, interestingly, despite moving to Metropolis last week, here they were having a night in at the Kent farm (almost like the writer had no idea of what was going on, outside of his episode). Okay, they were shown to still be settling into their apartment, in the next episode, but that's different. The move is easy, it's figuring out where everything is supposed to be, that's difficult (not to mention, you're moving from a big house to a small apartment; making adjustments even more difficult, as suddenly you have a bunch of stuff, that you can't fit into your new home). There is a passing reference to Steve Lombard and Ron Troupe makes a cameo appearance, with the episode presenting them as people that Lois and Clark know. Did Geoff Johns even know which Daily Planet employees had been introduced? Now, Troupe had been referenced a few times, with "Icarus" implying that Ron Troupe's had a kid with Lucy Lane (something that there is no hint off, when he bumps into Clark Kent).

Neither Tess or Oliver appears in the episode, so half the main cast is left out. Granted, previous episodes with guest heroes have left out members of the main cast. Lionel, Martha and Jonathan didn't appear in "Aqua". Lois didn't appear in "Cyborg", neither did the deceased Jonathan. Jimmy didn't appear in "Arrow" (while Martha was only in it for like a minute). Lana and Jimmy were left out of "Justice", with Martha only appearing for 31 seconds. However, those were times when the cast was considerably larger with like 8 regulars. At the time of this episode, the cast consisted of only four people. Not to mention, it feels like Clark and Lois could be cut out of much of the episode (Clark, especially), as it barely involves them.

It also features Clark trying to adapt a clumpsy persona. This is something I'm not too crazy about. Something I've sometimes seen people complain about, regarding Dean Cain, is that he didn't attempt to make Clark and Superman into two distinct people. However, you can tell they're the same person, because you're a viewer. You're going into this knowing that Clark and Superman are the same person. A character in this universe wouldn't know this. And how much interaction would they have with Superman? He's someone who flies in, saves the day and flies off. Any idea they might have of how that guy is as a person, is a figment of their imagination. Their idea of how this guy must be. Think of him as an actor you've seen on the big or small screen. You don't know anything about him/her. All you know is a character they've played (which could be extremely remote from the actors themselves). Clark is the one people interact with. Furthmore, you have the fact that being clumpsy would actually draw attention to him. Lois told Clark to be more like Reyes (a complete stranger, she had never seen before), because he drew attention to himself. And then you have the fact that he would only spend a few hours per week as Superman, while being Clark for the majority of the week. By adapting a false persona as Clark Kent, he'll be forced to live a lie his whole life. Talk about things, that doesn't interest him. Watch movies he doesn't actually like (because the general public would totally know what movies Superman likes), simply because they fit false the Clark Kent. Here they even have him get false allergies (meaning he also has extremely small details to keep track off).
                      Last edited by jon-el87; 07-05-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• I'm not a fan of bumbling Clark either. On the Superman films I never had the feeling that Clark was an actual person. As someone not having grown up with Superman comics I can only go by the screen adaptations and for me Dean Cain sort of solidified the two sides of the character: "Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am." (Tempus Fugitive).

I like that Clark is a person who stands up for what he believes in and who is a competent person in his own rights. For example even in his very early days of admiring Lana he stood up to her when he thought she was small-minded (Hug). The same was true on L&C. He chewed out a cop right in the pilot episode and (in episode 3) put Lois in her place when she tried to screw him and Jimmy over because she was Superman-obsessed.

They just should have Zatanna (who was featured three times in three seasons [even though only offscreen in season 10]) put a spell on the glasses and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎