Television Ratings for "Kent"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

(2) Some viewers purposefully avoided the dark, depressing beginning (and to avoid the Cless?) and tuned in for the inevitable happy ending.
    How would viewers know that beginning of this episode was going to be dark and depressing, or know when any potential Cless scenes would pop up? The reality is that they wouldn't.

I think when a show picks up in the 2nd half, its probably no more complicated then it managed to hook some channel surfers who decided to stay with it. No more, no less. When a show loses viewers, I think it just loses those people who like to flip around.

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
      How would viewers know that beginning of this episode was going to be dark and depressing, or know when any potential Cless scenes would pop up? The reality is that they wouldn't.

I think when a show picks up in the 2nd half, its probably no more complicated then it managed to hook some channel surfers who decided to stay with it. No more, no less. When a show loses viewers, I think it just loses those people who like to flip around.
      Er... the preivew suggested that Clark would be transported to the AU in one of the opening scenes. And the last time I checked. the AU is a grim place, full of bitter people who like to brutally beat people (Lionel, now Jonathan).

Also, the Cless was near the beignning in Luthor, so chances are it would be in this too, which it kind of was.

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Im pretty happy with these ratings- agree that for the finale hope we get 3+ million, homecoming got that didnt it? And that was because of the big publicity as its 200th epsode, for the entire series finale we should get above that hopefully

Comment

How would viewers know that beginning of this episode was going to be dark and depressing
            Three words: "Previously on Smallville" I've avoided some shows simply because of the recap at the start. If it looked like I should've seen a previous episode for the current one to make sense, or it looked melodramatically dark, I'd just keep channel surfing. And, like it or not, there are viewers who are totally put off by the dark tone the show has taken far too often, especially for a hero who is associated with light and optimism.

We get a lot of color drained scenes to the point they almost look black and white, not to mention way too many night scenes. That's why the front porch scene was so refreshing, it was literally flooded with bright colors and the optimism along with the only stuff that has anything to do with Clark's destiny in the episode, i.e. his future with Lois in Metropolis and letting go of the past's hold on him, returned.

Comment

Well, 2.3 is up from the last episode, so that's good enough for me! I hope they continue to increase through the finale. I'm sure the finale will get over 3 million views

Comment

Originally posted by bizzaroboy9
                i think and hope the finale will be in the 4 million range
                I would not be surprised. Just from Twitter itself, many former fans are planning on watching the series finale.

Comment

Originally posted by redkryptoniteisthebest
                  I would not be surprised. Just from Twitter itself, many former fans are planning on watching the series finale.
                  Cool. But do they have Nielsens boxes? Only people with those boxes determine the ratings. If not, the original 8 mil plus from the Pilot might tune it to watch it and it wouldn't matter.

Comment

I agree. Mid episode pick ups or drops don't usually have to do with the devoted fans who are boycotting for some specific reason or avoiding something. Even the devoted fans don't have a clue when that kind of stuff was going to occur. These viewers are generally channel surfers and people who have seen the show before but aren't too into it but found this episode interesting.

I think the only thing this says about the episode is that more people turned it on and were interested than turned it on and left.

Besides, its Nielsen numbers so in reality only a handful of people who turned in mid episode were counted to equal 200,000.

----- Added 12 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Chucktastic
                    Cool. But do they have Nielsens boxes? Only people with those boxes determine the ratings. If not, the original 8 mil plus from the Pilot might tune it to watch it and it wouldn't matter.
                    But that was all Nielsen numbers too so while I love to mock the nielsen system, I don't think its going to make too much of a difference on the ratings because the pilot ratings were just as flawed as the finale ratings will be.

20 nielsen viewers who haven't been watching in 5 years yet tune in that night are going to count for a lot of people. If a nielsen viewer counts for about 5,000 people then those 20 nielsen viewers are going to make up an audience of 100000 people.

The finale should be big just based on the fact that most people who have watched even a third of the episodes casually over the last few years will probably want to watch it. Then there are the people who gave up on the show a long time ago but who want to tune in to see how it all ends. Plus, there will be people who just want to see the darn suit and maybe haven't seen more than 2 or 3 episodes ever but have heard about SV and know enough about Superman to sit down and watch it.
                    Last edited by A Flawed Fashion; 04-16-2011, 04:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Chucktastic
                      According to the fast nationals (TV By The Numbers) the episode gained about 200K viewers in the second half: 8pm - 2.233 mil. viewers, 0.9/3 A18-49 demo
                      8:30pm - 2.437 mil. viewers, 1.0/4 A18-49 demo
                      Thanks, that's not too bad. It averages out to 2.335. which rounds up to 2.34mil. not 2.33mil. (we need that extra point) Hopefully the final rating will go up.
                      Last edited by SparkleforSmallville; 04-16-2011, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redkryptoniteisthebest
                        That's good. I just noticed Smallville is currently trending on Yahoo. I take that as a good sign.

Comment

[QUOTE=A Flawed Fashion;7264588]Besides, its Nielsen numbers so in reality only a handful of people who turned in mid episode were counted to equal 200,000.

20 nielsen viewers who haven't been watching in 5 years yet tune in that night are going to count for a lot of people. If a nielsen viewer counts for about 5,000 people then those 20 nielsen viewers are going to make up an audience of 100000 people.

QUOTE]

You are correct! My brother is a computer programmer and he works for a company that does programming for the Nielson ratings system. He tried to explain to me how it works and I got the general idea. The ratings are based off of samplings. One viewer with a ratings box counts for a large number of viewers.

Comment

Final ratings: http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t.../801108563/p/3

Smallville
                            - 2.374 million viewers
                            - 1.4/3 HH
                            - 1.0/4 A18-49
                            - 1.0/4 A18-34
                            - 0.8/3 W18-34

Comment

Originally posted by wellinglover66
                              Final ratings: http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t.../801108563/p/3

Smallville
                              - 2.374 million viewers
                              - 1.4/3 HH
                              - 1.0/4 A18-49
                              - 1.0/4 A18-34
                              - 0.8/3 W18-34
                              Slightly up so can't complain, although would have been even nicer if it broke 2.4M

Comparing to other seasons, other then S1 + 7, the first episode in April is usually the lowest rated episode(up to that point) of the rest of the seasons(which is not the case for Kent). In the case of S7 it was really close
                              Last edited by Supsfan; 04-18-2011, 02:22 PM.

Comment

2.37 rounds off to 2.4 so that's an increase from the overnight rating. Great start to the final batch of episodes.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎