Collapse
No announcement yet.

#1.20: "No Ordinary Beginning" SEASON FINALE

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm disappointed. Not in the finale, in the probable lack of a second season. It wasn't perfect but it was fun and also nice to see a show about family.

Comment

I really liked the finale.

Doe's anyone think Katies pregnacy went way to fast or is the baby just growing really fast. To me it seems only a few days between episodes and when I saw Katie giving birth in the finale I was thinking "didn't she just find out she is pregnant"?

I'm trying to figure out how the TC shots work. I'm not sure if you can choose what power you get when you take the shot or if you get the peoples powers that are close to you?

I'm really hoping for a second season!!!

Comment

Originally posted by targis
        I really liked the finale.

Doe's anyone think Katies pregnacy went way to fast or is the baby just growing really fast. To me it seems only a few days between episodes and when I saw Katie giving birth in the finale I was thinking "didn't she just find out she is pregnant"?

Yea it seemed a little soon, but you got to remember we dont know the time line from when she found out to when she gave birth. It could have been a few months. You could tell she was very pregnant since the actress was far along. And besides, she mentioned she was going into labor WAY to early and thats why the baby didnt survive it. Not until his powers healed him. He was stillborn.

Comment

Great finale. Xena had some fun lines:

Xena: Feeling unwell, Dayton?
          Dr. King: Madam Chairman...I...I just seem to be fighting...something.
          Xena: Yes, I believe it's called "obsolescence". A battle which you appear to have lost.

Xena: Amazing, aren't they. They honestly believe they're going to find that boy. I'd hate to be the one to disappoint them.
          *looks at her goon*
          Xena: Disappoint them.

haha

So much resemblance to "Heroes" this ep. The way King died and the stuff about his power being "staying alive", very similar to the character of Adam. And in Heroes' season 1 finale, Nathan had a line about saving the world ("You saved the cheerleader, so we could save the world"), and in this episode Dr. King said to Stephanie "I'll find Jim. You save the world". The prison-for-supers stuff was very Heroes too, as was the hallway fight between Jim and electricity dude (similar to a Peter/Sylar confrontation).

Anyway, hope NOF aka Heroes Lite comes back. As kernel thai said, show just got better and better since it started.

Comment

My favorite thing about this show is the opening with the curtains blowing like a cape. I smile every time I see it.

Comment

Yeah I love the opening lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
                Great finale. Xena had some fun lines:

Xena: Feeling unwell, Dayton?
                Dr. King: Madam Chairman...I...I just seem to be fighting...something.
                Xena: Yes, I believe it's called "obsolescence". A battle which you appear to have lost.

Xena: Amazing, aren't they. They honestly believe they're going to find that boy. I'd hate to be the one to disappoint them.
                *looks at her goon*
                Xena: Disappoint them.

haha

So much resemblance to "Heroes" this ep. The way King died and the stuff about his power being "staying alive", very similar to the character of Adam. And in Heroes' season 1 finale, Nathan had a line about saving the world ("You saved the cheerleader, so we could save the world"), and in this episode Dr. King said to Stephanie "I'll find Jim. You save the world". The prison-for-supers stuff was very Heroes too, as was the hallway fight between Jim and electricity dude (similar to a Peter/Sylar confrontation).

Anyway, hope NOF aka Heroes Lite comes back. As kernel thai said, show just got better and better since it started.

...and both shows even had Smallville connections. (Which I love!) I swear, Peter Petrelli's color schemes reminded me of old school (season one) Clark, and for NOF, a lot of the villains reminded me of season one and two Smallville FOTWs.

I hope the show does come back, because while the pilot didn't impress me much, the show got progressively better and better. By the finale, I wasn't ready to let the show go... I hope we don't have to for at least one more season.

Comment

Originally posted by smallvillerocks45
                  ...and both shows even had Smallville connections. (Which I love!) I swear, Peter Petrelli's color schemes reminded me of old school (season one) Clark, and for NOF, a lot of the villains reminded me of season one and two Smallville FOTWs.

I hope the show does come back, because while the pilot didn't impress me much, the show got progressively better and better. By the finale, I wasn't ready to let the show go... I hope we don't have to for at least one more season.
                  I always thought that too about the villians reminding me of the FOTW. Especially when articles I read about the show that referred to them as Villians of the Week. VOTW

I agree that the show progressively got better. I think they started to realize that they needed to show the whole family at times in danger versus just Jim. And the consequences of being a superhero like Daphne losing Chris after mind wiping him.

Comment

I'd say the more NOF mirrored/copied Heroes, the better it got. As time went on, it resembled Heroes more and more (they couldn't help themselves could they). But it's a winning formula, one even Charlie Sheen (and his goddesses) would be proud of.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
                      I'd say the more NOF mirrored/copied Heroes, the better it got. As time went on, it resembled Heroes more and more (they couldn't help themselves could they). But it's a winning formula, one even Charlie Sheen (and his goddesses) would be proud of.
                      Well, the secret teams and experimentation with powers in a serum were definitely topics that Heroes dealt with heavily, but I'm glad No Ordinary Family didn't let itself get too carried away with it. Granted, by creating 80 super-powered criminals, it very quickly could go too far.

Now, I liked Heroes, but I think it's biggest problem was that it didn't know how to let characters go. They just had to bring everyone into the mix, and everyone had to be related to someone, somehow... it was almost too much. I liked that No Ordinary Family was based around one family - yes, there were other people who had powers, but their situation was contingent on an injection, and even with the permanence of others' powers, the criminals are not related to the Powells, and they have no emotional attachment to them nor are they trying to manipulate them for some kind of advantage.

Comment

Well, the secret teams and experimentation with powers in a serum were definitely topics that Heroes dealt with heavily, but I'm glad No Ordinary Family didn't let itself get too carried away with it. Granted, by creating 80 super-powered criminals, it very quickly could go too far.

Now, I liked Heroes, but I think it's biggest problem was that it didn't know how to let characters go. They just had to bring everyone into the mix, and everyone had to be related to someone, somehow... it was almost too much. I liked that No Ordinary Family was based around one family - yes, there were other people who had powers, but their situation was contingent on an injection, and even with the permanence of others' powers, the criminals are not related to the Powells, and they have no emotional attachment to them nor are they trying to manipulate them for some kind of advantage.
                        Great post! I never watched Heroes and from what I understood that show was no more different than a lot of stuff that was already done in the comics and stories about superpowered beings. I liked NOF for what it was.

Comment

Now, I liked Heroes, but I think it's biggest problem was that it didn't know how to let characters go. They just had to bring everyone into the mix, and everyone had to be related to someone, somehow... it was almost too much.
                          For me what marked the downward turn for the show was the strike-shortened second season. They spent time building up storylines and characters only to abandon much of it and go different directions in the following season. This was damaging to the series' overall framework and sense of direction. They also went a little too far with the time travel (future, past) stuff, got way more convoluted than it needed to be. They never seemed to know what to do with Peter's character, make him powerful and dumb (ie. like Clark), or de-powered and smart. I can go on with the criticisms. Still really enjoyed the show though.

I liked that No Ordinary Family was based around one family - yes, there were other people who had powers, but their situation was contingent on an injection, and even with the permanence of others' powers, the criminals are not related to the Powells, and they have no emotional attachment to them nor are they trying to manipulate them for some kind of advantage.
                          Yes NOF has followed more of a freak-of-the-week Smallville type formula, where we have clearcut villain vs good guy standalone stories. Heroes was more serialized and layered, and more serious in tone with a lot more grey around the edges. That said, NOF has taken on many of the same traits to certain degrees as time went on, and this to me went hand in hand with its overall improvement.

Originally posted by dotsie23
                          I never watched Heroes and from what I understood that show was no more different than a lot of stuff that was already done in the comics and stories about superpowered beings. I liked NOF for what it was.
                          Heroes had a lot in common with Lost, so if you liked Lost, you'd probably like Heroes. And since you like(d) NOF, you'd probably enjoy Heroes too seeing as the two shows are being compared by some of us here. Worth a look.

Comment

Please, don't get me wrong... I do like Heroes a lot (I own the series on DVD- all seasons), and I agree that the writer's strike did negatively impact the show... but they also lost some of the people who produced the show early on, and I think that also played into the loss of direction. I think they tried to use time travel to correct certain things, but most of the time, it was just a lackluster point that did little to help anyone. Hiro, benefited a bit, but I absolutely abhorred his visit to the past. Also, while Sylar was one of my favorite characters on the show, after a while, I just lost sight on what his purpose was. Nikki, then Tracy (why!?) Peter Petrelli (why!?)
                            The forth season, however, was quite satisfying...

I'm just glad NOF never got that convoluted; it's complexities did make it more interesting. I never watched Lost, but I agree Doris, if you like NOF or Smallville, you'll probably like Heroes. It was a fun watch, but I don't know, maybe because I'm not as emotionally attached to it as I am with Smallville, I allow myself to be more critical.

Comment

Please, don't get me wrong... I do like Heroes a lot (I own the series on DVD- all seasons), and I agree that the writer's strike did negatively impact the show... but they also lost some of the people who produced the show early on, and I think that also played into the loss of direction. I think they tried to use time travel to correct certain things, but most of the time, it was just a lackluster point that did little to help anyone. Hiro, benefited a bit, but I absolutely abhorred his visit to the past. Also, while Sylar was one of my favorite characters on the show, after a while, I just lost sight on what his purpose was. Nikki, then Tracy (why!?) Peter Petrelli (why!?)
                              The forth season, however, was quite satisfying...

I'm just glad NOF never got that convoluted; it's complexities did make it more interesting. I never watched Lost, but I agree Doris, if you like NOF or Smallville, you'll probably like Heroes. It was a fun watch, but I don't know, maybe because I'm not as emotionally attached to it as I am with Smallville, I allow myself to be more critical.
                              Heroes unfortunately fell victim to a disease I call sequelitis. It usually afflicts movies. It's when writers/producers sit down and watch a movie to see what parts people like so they can port them into the sequel. The camel punching scene in Conan the Barbarian is the perfect example.

Tim Kring, I guess, tried to figure out what people liked about the first season and build s2 from that foundation. Hiro is cute so we need more of that. Everyone loves Sylar. Stuff like that. Instead of writing an interesting story and letting the characters seek there own level, these characters took president and the story was cobbled together around them. Then when fans didnt like season two, they panicked. All of a sudden the guys who were geniuses in s1 needed to be replaced. Quick fixes were attempted and the show became a mess.

I dont see this as the NOF problem. They were a victim of the times. The show started slowly, thats bad. As they began to fix the problems and improve the product, the audience had already moved on to other shows. If they had started as strongly as they finished, they prolly would have been given a second season. Instead, only the core fans saw how good the show became.

Comment

Its truly sad to lose the show. I was really enjoy it. And I agree Kernel its because of the times and how ti didn't grab ppl right off.. I had to talk a few in to even checking it out because they assumed it would just be some childish thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎