Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Lois realize that Clark will live forever?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Lois realize that Clark will live forever?

I don't recall him ever telling anyone that he will out live them, don't see how their relationship will work when she is eighty and he still looks 20-30.

The Highlander character did that too but he didn't mind that his wife was too old.

Comment

a little detail that think about really think about to be honest. but i would think he would disguise himself to be around the same age as lois, is my guess. i'm presuming it's a detail clark would have told lois, after all, lois in LnC while had a little panic moment about it alright though.

Comment

He's not immortal, he won't live forever, he'll just outlive her.

Comment

So eventually he may marry Lois descendents

lolwhut???

Comment

They broached this in the comics. In an Elseworlds story arc they started in 1962 as if the original 1938 Superman was the continuity. That made Lois 48 although they drew her to look more like 70. Anyhow she and Clark had split up over the; she ages he doesn't; angst. She and Lana lang are BFF's and live together in New York. Superman drops in occasionally if he feels his tie to humanity is slipping. It is called Superman-Whom Gods Destroy. Published by DC as an elseworlds comic, I believe it came out in 1997, I'll try to check it and get back to anyone who is looking for a copy. I know a few places where you can find it. It is 4 parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~
              He's not immortal, he won't live forever, he'll just outlive her.
              Never established that he will. The vision in "Hourglass" only showed the graves of Jonathan Kent, Martha Kent, Pete Ross, Chloe Sullivan and Lana Lang (and visions of the future should only be considered as "possible futures", not something set in stone). The grave of Lois wasn't shown. Her lifespan is unknown. She could be granted longevity (the Fortress has the combined knowledge from all 28 known galaxies), be rejuvinated when she's old. Heck, in season 11, they establish that it's possible to transfer a human mind into a machine.

We also don't know when Clark will die. Granted, Jordan Cross got a vision and made a remark about how it appeared in his vision that Clark never died, but once more you deal with an unclear vision of the future. Also, based on Clark's interactions with the Legion, it appears that Clark's not still around in the 31st Century. Basically, you have a throwaway remark in one episode, versus a lack of Clark being around in the distant future in multiple later stories.

At the end of the day, no one knows how long they or their partner will live. They could live together for years and then die within a week of each other, from old age. One could die within a year, while the other lives another 40 years. Your lifespan shouldn't be the first consideration, when you're dating.

Comment

In a lot of superman canon stuff he does have the potential to live forever if he wants. It was brought up more than a dozen times in the comics and once in the cartoons, as well as in "Lois and Clark: The adventures of superman".

But as Jon-El pointed out, it doesn't mean that he actually will live forever. for instance in the L&C series something happened that greatly reduced Superman's lifespan so that he had the same lifespan of other human beings. He didn't seem to mind too much however, because he wanted to more like a human being than he wanted to be a superman.

And then there was all those times that Superman died, although comics being what they are that didn't last long.

Also keep in mind that in the comics that Superman also gave a longevity serum to both his parents, his friends and Lois lane in some continuities. It was one way to explain why everyone was still around even though the time period suggested that most of them should had croaked by now.

Comment

This is one of those instances, where from a certain perspective, writer's have written themselves into a corner. Most modern stories have sort of adopted the Superman 1,000,000 concept. He ends up living in Earth's son in the future, stabilizes it to keep from becoming a red giant, and basically becomes a god. He returns in the far future, and leads a team of Superman from various times/dimensions. At the end of the One Million storyline, he even resurrects, Krypton and Lois Lane.

Mostly, I view it as metaphor that "Superman" will live on. Storywise though, with how he's written, and how his abilities work, he kind of does have effective immortality. We grow old and die because our bodies break down. Our DNA can't efficiently, or correctly copy itself after awhile. The problem with Superman, is his can more efficiently do this, but over time, and with exposure to the sun, it gets even more efficient. The longer he's alive, the exponentially longer he COULD be alive. His most likely death, is from some outside source killing him, not a natural death due to old age. In most continuities, it doesn't actually reference Superman dying, just not being there anymore. Some stories have expanded on that to him exploring the universe after his friends and family die, and turning over his job as protector to a future generation and his descendents. You'd be hard pressed to find a future set story, that actually points out that Superman just died of old age at some point.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎