Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasons 8, 9, & 10 figures, as of "Scion"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 9, arguably the best season since BP and KS took over. Season 10 belongs in the crapper right there with Season 5, 6, , 7 and back half of 8

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Chucktastic
    Thanks for the updates cma. It's always interesting to see what 'joe public' thinks about particular episodes (not that the showrunners have ever seemed to pay much attention to the likes and dislikes).

This season has been the worst second half since I started watching the show! The excuse/theory in previous seasons was that once the show got renewed, the writers went back to stall mode in their storytelling. I think the reality is that they run out of creative steam and just coast along in every second half. Plus, now that the show is definitely over the writers are probably saving their better ideas for possible new gigs.
    I think this season is just a reflection of the writers' bucket list. All we get is a plethora of villains, DC heroes, other useless characters with no linkage to the overall plot, which at this point is so disjointed.
    Last edited by Cloisdestined; 03-07-2011, 03:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

All figures for seasons 8, 9, and 10 (up to 'Scion') updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucktastic
        Thanks for the updates cma. It's always interesting to see what 'joe public' thinks about particular episodes (not that the showrunners have ever seemed to pay much attention to the likes and dislikes).

This season has been the worst second half since I started watching the show! The excuse/theory in previous seasons was that once the show got renewed, the writers went back to stall mode in their storytelling. I think the reality is that they run out of creative steam and just coast along in every second half. Plus, now that the show is definitely over the writers are probably saving their better ideas for possible new gigs.

ITA

Comment

Originally posted by cma_454
          A weaker second half does seem to be the way it goes on 'Smallville'. But, I'd have difficulty calling any second half the weakest, other than Season 8.

Just going by the numbers, the second half of Season 8 contains three of the most 'Hated' episodes of the series (the three lowest average scores since the "Loved it? / Hated it?" polls became a regular feature, with the highest number of 1's).
          In certain sport disciplines (high diving), the highest and the lowest scores are discounted for the final average. This also happens in certain artistic disciplines to avoid suspicions but also to discard purely emotional (therefore unjective) scores. IMO, a 10 and a 1 are emotional replies that may have been given without major analisis. A let's not forget that scores are influenced by our personal bias so the 'loved it' 'hated it' can follow the tendency too.

In my case, the great difference between season 8 and 10 is that, in season 8, while I really disliked the 2nd half, at least I had the promise of a new season and I had expectations that everything would better on the following year. In this one, I know it's the end, that this is their last chance to make it right and they are wasting it. Everything seemes rushed, contrived, disjointed and I don't think that's going to change. The feeling I get is that the writers are thinking 'let's get this over with so we can move on to our new projects', that their priority is to please the different fanbases instead of writing a good story. For me, the show went downhil since Collateral, like it lost focus and perspective and I'm not looking forward for what is coming next.
          Last edited by Bizarrolover; 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarrolover
            In certain sport disciplines (high diving), the highest and the lowest scores are discounted for the final average. This also happens in certain artistic disciplines to avoid suspicions but also to discard purely emotional (therefore unjective) scores. IMO, a 10 and a 1 are emotional replies that may have been given without major analisis. A let's not forget that scores are influenced by our personal bias so the 'loved it' 'hated it' can follow the tendency too.
            I understand what you're saying. But, this is not a theatre class being asked for an analysis of an episode, it's a poll on a fan site. Also, the poll isn't 'Best? / Worst?' or 'Good? / Bad?', it's "Loved it? / Hated it?"

So, even if the 10's and 1's are indeed the most emotion-based, I fail to see how that would, in any way, lessen their validity in a poll asking for an emotional response (love or hate).

Originally posted by Bizarrolover
            In my case, the great difference between season 8 and 10 is that, in season 8, while I really disliked the 2nd half, at least I had the promise of a new season and I had expectations that everything would better on the following year. In this one, I know it's the end, that this is their last chance to make it right and they are wasting it. Everything seemes rushed, contrived, disjointed and I don't think that's going to change. The feeling I get is that the writers are thinking 'let's get this over with so we can move on to our new projects', that their priority is to please the different fanbases instead of writing a good story. For me, the show went downhil since Collateral, like it lost focus and perspective and I'm not looking forward for what is coming next.
            I completely agree with what you're saying about Season 10. But, while I have very little enthusiasm regarding upcoming episodes, I'm still in a better place (regarding Smallville) than I was at the end of Season 8. My reaction after Season 8 was so negative that, for a while, there were going to be no more seasons for me (as I originally had no plans to view any more episodes).

I guess I just prefer apathy (my current Smallville feelings), to the anger I felt 'Power', 'Requiem', and 'Doomsday'.

Still, that's just IMO, and YMMV.
            Last edited by cma_454; 03-10-2011, 09:20 AM.

Comment

8-22 Doomsday = 5.10 (total number of votes = 1070)
              LOL well, at least that !@#$ episode got over the base...a 5...i wouldn't have given it a 3 myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Stebob1984
                How in the hell does Idol rate higher than Absolutre Justice and Savior???
                with more people voting for higher numbers?

Why? I think has to do with expectations, when they are met or exceeded the votes go up in number, when they are that takes points off, even if the expectations were very high for an episode or very low. I think with Idol's Wonder Twins, the bar was set very low where as Absolute Justice and Savior had a much higher standard they had to meet.

Comment

A weaker second half does seem to be the way it goes on 'Smallville'. But, I'd have difficulty calling any second half the weakest, other than Season 8.

Just going by the numbers, the second half of Season 8 contains three of the most 'Hated' episodes of the series (the three lowest average scores since the "Loved it? / Hated it?" polls became a regular feature, with the highest number of 1's).

I know, from a strictly personal perspective, that my reactions to 'Power', 'Requiem', and 'Doomsday' were so negative that I stopped watching for a while (and nearly didn't return). To this day, my enthusiasm for the show has never returned to pre-'Power' levels.

While I find this season to be (for the most part) disappointing, especially as it is the final season, I've never come close to walking away from the show (although there are a couple of episodes I wish I had skipped).

Of course this is all just IMO, and YMMV.

Figuring out the average scores is easy (just entering numbers in a spreadsheet with a few formulas).

Figuring out why people vote the way they do, I leave to others.

Maybe I should amend my comment. IMO, the episodes in the second halves of Season 8, 9 and now 10 have been ranged from the underwhelming to the horrifyingly bad!

However, this season I would have happily skipped ALL episodes in the second half, so far, and the promo for the Kent episode doesn't scream 'must see' TV for me either.

Incidentally, I find it 'amusing' that during the hiatus The CW has chosen to re-air the episodes that were least liked on this site - Luthor, Masquerade and this coming Friday, Fortune. Either they have a different perspective on what makes a particular episode popular (compared to this site, anyway), or they are perverse and are cocking a snook at Smallville fans!

----- Added 13 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Cloisdestined
                  Season 9, arguably the best season since BP and KS took over. Season 10 belongs in the crapper right there with Season 5, 6, , 7 and back half of 8

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

I think this season is just a reflection of the writers' bucket list. All we get is a plethora of villains, DC heroes, other useless characters with no linkage to the overall plot, which at this point is so disjointed.
                  Totally agree! Maybe the Season 10 budget couldn't afford a continuity editor......or good special effects and writing.
                  Last edited by Chucktastic; 03-24-2011, 02:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Figures for 'Scion' and 'Kent' have been updated as of 9:00 AM (Eastern time) 4/22/2011.

Comment

Figures for 'Booster added.

Comment

Figures for 'Scion', 'Kent', and 'Booster' have been updated as of 1:35 PM (Eastern time) 4/29/2011.

Comment

Figures for 'Dominion' have been added as of 9:15 PM (Eastern time) 4/30/2011.

Comment

Figures for 'Dominion' have been updated as of 8:35 AM (Eastern time) 5/3/2011.

Comment

Thanks alot for compiling these for us. It's very interesting. Thought you might like to know you have 'Dominion' listed as 'Booster' in the high to low rankings so 'Booster' shows up twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Who
                                Thanks alot for compiling these for us. It's very interesting. Thought you might like to know you have 'Dominion' listed as 'Booster' in the high to low rankings so 'Booster' shows up twice.
                                Thanks. Fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎