No announcement yet.

Reflecting on Romance: Chloe's Love Story

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AChloeChick
    Not even sure how the conclusion that Chloe is not committed can be drawn.

I can't see it at all! She sacrificed her life for his (if that's not a sign of commitment, IDK what is); she didn't call or contact him 'cause the helmet warned her not to; she dreamed everyday of walking back through those doors (which means back to him); he was the first one she saved from the VRA; she's spent every waking morning with him since she's been back (with the exception of the wedding night); she doesn't want to lose him again; they've exchanged ILY numerous times; Desaad used Ollie to tempt her to give it all up and run away with him (which, she just about did); she's ready and willing to give up her privacy (something that's been extremely important and well guarded for her over the years) for Ollie; she's considered herself his GF (she gave her reasons for why she struggled defining herself against him); she re-entered herself into the system and got her identity back (confirmed by Al); she got a job in Ollie's hometown for a reason; she told Clark her head and heart were wrestling each other and she wasn't going to let a hero (Ollie) give up his world for her (she knew he would if she asked him to or said anything about heading to SC), one he basically had already done by outing himself; she was moved to tears of joy when Ollie presented his half of the marriage certificate (IF she wasn't committed to him, she'd been adamant about getting an annulment just as she was when she thought she might have married Clark); she kissed, touched, and looked at him with SO much love, and left with her husband for SC.
    And yet all this happened just in one season oh wait a few episodes., why dont we go back to 10 years of chloe's history start from there and let see how much committed she has really been before jumping on to the next "best thing".

Yes maybe in the early years the character was more consistence and committed, until they light switched her in s8. I have not seen that much committment from chloe to oliver, chloe is a self proclaimed martyr, she risks her life for just about anybody other than that, she has shown been very hesitant to show any committment to ollie, he has always been way ahead of her. She didnt know what it is they were doing or going in masquerade, she was going to leave without telling him in fortune, she left for SC because she got a Job there, not because its ollie's town. Yet when ollie said something about leaving without her "husband", chloe didnt respond by saying his wife or anything. She was ready to leave town for a fresh start, only to find out she has a "husband" who in her right mind she may not have been ready to commit to. she didnt even invite or discuss her leaving with ollie, and now he is going to be tagging along where he is probably not wanted, that's not committment to me.
    Last edited by BlueRanger; 03-01-2011, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Audrey229
      The bottom line is that Chloe may have felt that Clark was her soulmate. But Clark does not consider Chloe to be his. And Clark has agency in his own life and his own choices and it really grates on me when it is insinuated that he isn't able to make his own choices without there being this idea that he's somehow wrong. That's not how love works.
      And that right there has pretty much defined the Chlark "romance" during the whole show. And it always rather annoyed me too that it's looks at as if Clark's ignoring something here. He hasn't ignored anything. He knows very well how Chloe feels/felt about him. He found out in season 1, knew in season 2, Chloe admitted she still had feelings in season 4 and even showed him that letter she wrote in Fever in season 8. And each time - other than the first time he found out - Clark never implied to Chloe that he felt the same way about her. Romantically, Chloe just wasn't the one for him, and he in no way appears to be regretting that decision or feels like he's missed something because he never went there with her.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
        And that right there has pretty much defined the Chlark "romance" during the whole show. And it always rather annoyed me too that it's looks at as if Clark's ignoring something here. He hasn't ignored anything. He knows very well how Chloe feels/felt about him. He found out in season 1, knew in season 2, Chloe admitted she still had feelings in season 4 and even showed him that letter she wrote in Fever in season 8. And each time - other than the first time he found out - Clark never implied to Chloe that he felt the same way about her. Romantically, Chloe just wasn't the one for him, and he in no way appears to be regretting that decision or feels like he's missed something because he never went there with her.
        I remember in S4 (I think it was "Devoted"), when Chloe admitted that she still had feelings for him, his response wasn't to ignore it at all. He just told her that he wished he could feel the same way, (probably because it would make their relationship more comfortable and less awkward if the felt the same way about each other) but he just didn't, he couldn't. So, its not like he was even trying to avoid Chloe's feelings for him. He even faced the fact that she did. He just did not feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrific_T
          I remember in S4 (I think it was "Devoted"), when Chloe admitted that she still had feelings for him, his response wasn't to ignore it at all. He just told her that he wished he could feel the same way, (probably because it would make their relationship more comfortable and less awkward if the felt the same way about each other) but he just didn't, he couldn't. So, its not like he was even trying to avoid Chloe's feelings for him. He even faced the fact that she did. He just did not feel the same way.
          Yep, Devoted was the episode I was referring to. Clark wasn't with Lana and he wasn't interested in Lois romantically yet. He was free, Chloe was free. Chloe admitted to him right out she still had feelings for him. And Clark said he wished he felt the same way, but he didn't. He wasn't being coy, he wasn't secretly denying anything, he was very sincere with what he said, and didn't play around with Chloe's feelings on it. He knew how she felt, he didn't feel the same way. The end.

IMO, Chloe has always wondered if she and Clark may have missed something, but Clark never has. Even in this episode you can tell he didn't think he missed anything by not perusing Chloe romantically. He just never saw her that way. He loves her as a friend, but not as a (potential) lover.
          Last edited by morrigan01; 03-01-2011, 07:02 PM.

Comment

1. Did Chloe end up with the perfect person for her? Why or why not?
            Define "perfect." We all have our opinions....

2. Who is Chloe's soulmate? Explain.
            Wow these questions are really in-depth. Me personally I thought it was Jimmy...but guess not

3. What relationship will always be your favorite Chloe relationship? (Fantasy pairings allowed)
            I LOVED Chimmy! It was such an adorable relationship. But Chollie is growing on me

4. Were you sold on Chloe and Oliver?
            Not really "sold" per say but I think it's a good pairing

5. Do you think Chlollie is a better relationship than Chlark was (romantically speaking, NOT friendship wise).
            Definitely. Was there ever really a "romantic Chlark?" maybe for a minute...

6. Were you satisfied with Chloe's romantic life all together (this season and all the series)?
            I suppose. The Davis thing didn't really strike a chord w/ me though

7. How did you feel about Chlollie this season?
            confused.........lol

8. Were you happy with the Chlollie wedding (whether fake or real)?
            I would have liked to see a real one...

9. Are you satisfied with the ending to Chloe's romantic life?
            Does it really matter now????????

10. Was this the ending YOU imagine? Better? Worse?
            NO!! It was not at all what I imagined!!! But I liked it! :]

~K

Comment

No. In order for this pairing to "work" Oliver has been made into a simpering incontinent puppy instead of the sarcastic jack-ass that I enjoyed watching. Chloe is too passive aggressive to deal with the real Oliver so they de-clawed him. Plus in order to match Oliver's natural athleticism the writers are suddenly adding in Chloe-Fu which is ridiculous, her character should stand on it's own with the perfect person for her without tossing in a bunch of stuff from no where.
              Lana, they both had their character's power and individuality stripped from them by cheep and tacky writing so both are saints no matter what they do... they must belong together.
              3. What relationship will always be your favorite Chloe relationship? (Fantasy pairings allowed)
              Chimmy, always and forever Chimmy. I was able to love Chloe through Jimmy's eyes, and I understood why each was attracted to the other. Chloe seems to need a lover who practically worships her and Jimmy is the super-fan so matches perfectly.
              ... wait that wasn't a joke... uhh no then, no I was not.
              5. Do you think Chlollie is a better relationship than Chlark was (romantically speaking, NOT friendship wise).
              I think it might actually be worse... and for me that's a sad sad thing... Chlark in the early days might have been okay for a few minutes. Chlollie was always just failure. I cannot see what either of them would see in the other to be frank.
              6. Were you satisfied with Chloe's romantic life all together (this season and all the series)?
              No.
              It was terrible. It was also at it's worst and at it's best. Most of Chlollie this season has been Oliver pining for Chloe which is annoying even when the pining wasn't horribly out of character, and the stories actually lined up with what was seen on screen. Sadly that wasn't even the case. Masquerade was the closed to good they ever got and sadly it got up to about a D. Some of the banter wasn't bad but at the same time ... Oliver whining about labels? and Chloe-fu introduced to make her keep up with him just showed that both their characters had to be stretched and snipped too far to make this relationship work.
              No, either way it was stupid. Drunken marriages may be occasionally a funny start to a romance but are horrible endings.
              No, see above.
              Not even close and it sucked so so much worse. I had hoped that when Chloe got back Oliver would break up with her because he couldn't bare the idea of anyone trading themselves for him like that and if he stayed with her could never trust her not to do it again. In my imaginings it would even be respectful to those who like Chlollie because while Oliver would in front of Chloe behave like an arse and say ass-hat things to make sure she would stay away from him romantically, he could tell Clark or even Lois that he did it because he loved her, which I may not like or understand but hey they went there. It would have been a tragically beautiful end where the two were torn apart not by a lack of love but by a self-sacrificing nature that neither could deny. I think both AM and JH are strong enough actors to carry that story and as much as I dislike Chlollie this end would have given me a pause and a little sniffle... but no instead we have a drunkin' 'wedding?' and a waltz off stage... blah!
              Last edited by borednow; 03-01-2011, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure. I think she and Oliver work for right now, but I'm not convinced it's a "forever" sort of relationship/love. It could be that Chloe's "perfect person for her" is still out there somewhere.
                I don't know. Her friendship soulmate is probably Clark, but I haven't been convinced that any of her romantic relationships had anything to do with "soulmates." See above answer.
                Chloe and Jimmy, romantically. No they were not perfect by any means, but when they were allowed to have fun and be happy for brief moments, it was very sweet. And I think that because it was their first serious relationship (and marriage) they had a lot of problems that could have been overcome in the long term had they had the chance to grow together. I felt as though, even though they had their problems and issues, they did both genuinely love each other. I suppose the lesson of Chimmy was that love isn't always enough, you need trust too, which sadly was never their strong point. Lastly, the Chlark friendship has had it's great moments, but I enjoyed them the most in Season 1.
                Hmm... overall? Not so much. But there were moments when I enjoyed their relationship for sure. And even though I don't ship them as a couple, I can still see they have great chemistry.
                Yes, but only because I don't really see how you can compare Chlark to Chlollie in a romantic sense when Chlark was never a romantic relationship???
                Not really. She pined for Clark for too long. Her relationship with Jimmy was sweet at times, and very frustrating at times, too. As to her relationship with Oliver... see answer to question 4.
                I have only really enjoyed Chlollie in one episode this season - Masquerade. Outside of that episode, they had a couple of nice moments, but that was about it for me.
                Well, I'm happy for the fans of Chlollie who are enjoying their couple's big moment. But I feel as though a drunken wedding that neither remembers isn't exactly the best start to "happily ever after" - certainly not something I'd want for a relationship I genuinely loved, IMO.
                As satisfied as I can be considering I was never that invested in Chloe enough to mind who she ended up with. I think I would have been just as satisfied had she ended the series single or simply Oliver's girlfriend.
                I'm pretty 'meh' about the whole thing. As I said, I'm happy for those that are happy. I know Chloe is very beloved character. But I also find myself agreeing and understanding those who are dissatisfied, for various reasons. So in the sense of not feeling intensly on either side of the scale, I'll just say that her ending was OK (at least it didn't make me want to jab my eyes out like the ending of a certain other character did).
                Last edited by Seersha; 03-02-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I reckon we'll find out soon, won't we? I, personally, am a fan of her and Ollie together, although it would not have been my first choice.

That's a question that would take me many, many posts to answer.

Chimmy, hands down. Even though it didn't end up in the greatest way, it was fun, it was cute and not annoying. They were REAL with each other; no games.

Not at first. But I'm surprised at how much it grew on me!

Yes. Only because I never really witnessed any "romantic" stuff between Chloe and Clark.

It was what it was. I didn't really spend much of the show paying attention to Chloe's romantic life (or anyone else's for that matter).

It was what I spent drudging through Season 9 for! I just wish it would've happened sooner!

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!! I squeed at the end! It was completely unexpected but perfect at the same time!

See above.

I wasn't a fan of the Clark/Chloe goodbye...in terms of that, I was expecting MUCH MORE. As for Chloe/Ollie...perfection.

~H

Comment

Yes! He gets her and never gave up on her even when their relationship was tested.

Oliver! duh!

Chlollie

Yep! Ever since Bloodline!

Yes. Clark was destined for Lois and would only hurt Chloe in the long run.

No. Her romantic life pretty much sucked until Oliver stepped up to the plate.

Nervous and apprehensive until Oliver pulled out his half of the wedding certificate.

Yes! It was cute and so Chlollie! They march to the beat of a different drum and it totally worked!

Oh yeah! Chloe got her man!

Much better than I expected. I was expecting a big whammy! (Of course, the writers still have 6 more episodes to muck things up!)

Comment

Did anybody catch who the witness signatures were on the certificate?

Chloe's going to have to die or get divorced on Ollie, bc I'd still like to think he ends up with Black Canary, but I don't necessarily think Smallville has to address it bc I think Ollie could end up with her when they're more middle aged in offscreenville.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobby4Chloe
                        Did anybody catch who the witness signatures were on the certificate?

Chloe's going to have to die or get divorced on Ollie, bc I'd still like to think he ends up with Black Canary, but I don't necessarily think Smallville has to address it bc I think Ollie could end up with her when they're more middle aged in offscreenville.
                        Can't tell what the names are.

Chlollie getting married on SV doesn't negate his relationship with Dinah in the comics. IMO, it explains a whole heck of a lot though. Don't know IF the comics will or will not explore it, but it certainly would be enticing.

Comment

You know, I think it would be interesting to do this type of discussion for the other main characters once the series is ended... I enjoy reading everyone's answers.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎