No announcement yet.

Lois: Clark's mother or fiancee?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by margarita_salt
    I think the whole thing about "lack of affection" is true. They dont really seem to have any chemistry but when they are at the daily planet they cant have any kind relationship unless it is a working relationship.
    Chemistry is subjective, obviously, and my subjective assessment of Lois and Clark's chemistry is that is not only strong due to the obvious affection the two characters share for each other, but also because of the little touches that show me Lois and Clark love and desire each other. Collateral, for example, included a sweet, sexy, and romantic scene between Lois and Clark in the loft. The two kisses they shared, the affectionate statements, and just the way they looked at each other was perfect.

These moments from the past three episodes were lovely as well:

I think Lois "mothers" Clark because she is afraid of losing him because she knows that he has a calling bigger than their relationship and that relationship will change one day. Who wouldn't be afraid of that!
    Why would Lois be worried about her relationship changing with Clark because of a larger calling? Clark is already engaging in a lifestyle that is consistent with the responsibilities and pressures of the life he will have as Superman. More importantly, since Icarus, Lois has been open with Clark about how he understands what she's signed up for and she's more than embraced Clark's heroic calling. In this episode, Lois was just worried about Clark's true identity being exposed, which would jeopardize the life they were building together.

Comment

What I don't get is why they were all over each other like a couple of lovesick school kids in the future SEVEN years later in Homecoming, but don't seem to be the same in the PRESENT. Surely if they're still that much in love that far down the line, it should be no different now. I understand they don't need to make out in every episode, but there is a distinct lack of the vibe from Homecoming.

Comment

Originally posted by LuluG
        @ Audrey. My take on the Clark and Lois relationship is this: they aren't married yet, so why are they acting like an old married couple? Their relationship is still relatively young and they've only just started having sex. Shouldn't they should be all over each other, like in the comics? Once the 'honeymoon period' is over they can give each other all the chaste kisses they want! In the mean time I want to see passion.
        You know . . . I'm not even married, but I actually rather resent the idea that if two people aren't shown to be all over each other all the time, that they are just acting like an "old married couple."

Chloe and Oliver are always all over each other, and you know what? That is one of the reasons why I've never bought into the idea that their relationship consists of anything other than the physical - especially on Chloe's end. Which was confirmed in this episode when Chloe admitted she didn't really know what to call Oliver. If those two got married at this point, realistically? There isn't anything there that would tell me the two of them would last very long.

There is more to building a relationship that will last than just wanting to have sex with each other all the time. What the writers have been doing is actually showing us why Lois and Clark's relationship/marriage will actually last. They've been showing us why the issues Clark and Lana faced are different when it comes to Lois and Clark and the solutions being ones that work.

Hey, I like seeing them be passionate on occasion too, (and actually called the show out for it feeling lacking in Luthor), but in this episode? I didn't feel any lack at all. And I didn't feel any lack in Beacon or Collateral either. But sexual desire alone isn't what appeals to me with this relationship, and never has. I want this show to show me why these two are going to last, and not just shallowly feed me pretty scenes of them making out all the time, while not showing me any of the other important stuff just because I know they end up happy together.

Comment

Originally posted by LuluG
          @ Audrey. My take on the Clark and Lois relationship is this: they aren't married yet, so why are they acting like an old married couple? Their relationship is still relatively young and they've only just started having sex. Shouldn't they should be all over each other, like in the comics? Once the 'honeymoon period' is over they can give each other all the chaste kisses they want! In the mean time I want to see passion.
          You want them to be all over each other at work? In the office? In front of Clark's mother? In front of other people? That's not passion. That's tacky and unprofessional. I don't know one classy person over the age of 15 that acts like that in public.

And you know, frankly, I really take issue with this idea that not being all over each other all the time makes couples an "old married couple." I'm still in my 20's and I don't act the way you are asking these two to act all the freaking time. And there is plenty of passion in my relationship.

I also take issue with this idea that only "after the honeymoon period is over" are chaste kisses acceptable. The truth is that real marriages between ADULTS who love each other are not that simple. It's not like it's sex all the time and then once the honeymoon is over you are boring and chaste. In healthy relationships, sex is always the icing on the cake. Not the batter. No matter what age you are.

The moments they are all over each other in the comics are usually PRIVATE in the PRIVACY of their BEDROOM. Not at work. Or in front of Clark's mother. Or in front of their friends and family.

The show has chosen to put Clark and Lois in more public and professional situations in the last few episodes. This past week, they were at work for pretty much the whole episode. Last week, they were with his mother and Chloe and Oliver. Their actions have been more than appropriate and it doesn't make them an "old married couple" because they are not groping each other 24/7.

You also assume that just because we have been seeing them in professional situations as of late that they aren't having sex offscreen. And that's ridiculous. They're having sex. We just have not been focusing on that part of their relationship because there are other stories to tell. I wouldn't say no to some more sexuality between them before the end of the series and I think it would be great if the show did something like that again. But the fact that show hasn't chosen to focus on it doesn't mean that it's not happening nor does it mean that they are an "old married couple." And seriously...can we stop referring to married couples like that anyway? Because it's a description that misses the mark in so many ways about what it actually means to be married.

Comment

I'm not even going to engage in the chemistry debate, that is so subjective. I can not prove that Clark/Lois have the best chemistry. Though to me, they have the best live action Clark/Lois chemistry to date. Nobody can prove {enter your favorite ship here} has the best chemistry. It is not quantitative.

I won't get in to married life either. 20 years ago I would not believe what folks said about marriage, raising kids and all that life puts forth. It really is something each and every one of us has to experience through our own lens. This is what I tell my kids too, my experience may not mirror yours, but the older you get the more you realize the less you know. JMO of course!!

Originally posted by ginevrakent
            Why would Lois be worried about her relationship changing with Clark because of a larger calling?
            And she said so much in Masquerade. She thought Clark going global was "awesome" and said she understood what he did was important. She's not worried about his larger calling, she can live with that. I got the impression she is worried she can not measure up to him. This is what the Beacon conversation with Martha hinted at (to me), but that is very different than worrying about his larger calling.
            Last edited by supes0; 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Audrey229
              And the later? Clark's identity being compromised and his entire life changing in a flash? Is absolutely her business. The things that Lois has expressed concerns about are things that she was every RIGHT to be concerned about as his future wife. And Clark, being the mature man that he is--a man who understands the kinds of vows you take when you get married---agrees that she has a right to be a part of these choices.
              I think people forget that not only Clark's life is at risk if his identity is compromised, but also Lois' . Everyone knows she's his fiancée and that make her Superman's fiancée, therefore, an easy target for his enemies. if Clark/Superman identity is known, they'll both have to live in the shadows. Lois will have to give up her entire life and her career and live in isolation. Clark can't impose that on her and she has the right express her doubts about something that is threatening both their lives, not just their lifetyles.
              Last edited by Bizarrolover; 02-21-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherl
                I thought the cheek kiss was the most adorable thing ever, and it paralleled Jor-El and Lara in Abandoned on their message to Clark. I had a feeling we'd see them parallel that gesture down the road since that episode.
                I love this comparison. The parallel is perfect.

Comment

20 years ago I would not believe what folks said about marriage, raising kids and all that life puts forth. It really is something each and every one of us has to experience through our own lens. This is what I tell my kids too, my experience may not mirror yours, but the older you get the more you realize the less you know. JMO of course!!
                  So true.

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

You know . . . I'm not even married, but I actually rather resent the idea that if two people aren't shown to be all over each other all the time, that they are just acting like an "old married couple."
                  I don't think you have to be married to find something wrong with that idea.

I'm not "old" and I rather resent the latent insult towards older people who have been married for a long time. It implies that older people who have been together for a long time have less passion for each other or that the passion that they share is somehow inferior or something. And life is just not that simple. All couples are different.
                  Last edited by Audrey229; 02-21-2011, 01:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarrolover
                    if Clark/Superman identity is known, they'll both have to live in the shadows. Lois will have to give up her entire life and her career and live in isolation. Clark can't impose that on her and she has the right express her doubts about something that is threatening both their lives, not just their lifetyles.
                    Or, and here's the even worse case scenario: Clark and Lois might be separated if his identity got compromised. Because Clark's the kind of person who would just as soon not ask Lois to have to live such a life in isolation with him. Not that I think she'd agree to such at thing. Nor do I think he could ever fully stay away from her (as we saw last season), but it would be just as real an option as them having to live in hiding for the rest of their lives - with Clark ever getting to be The Blur/Superman exclusively, and Lois not being able to have any life again at all.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
                      Or, and here's the even worse case scenario: Clark and Lois might be separated if his identity got compromised. Because Clark's the kind of person who would just as soon not ask Lois to have to live such a life in isolation with him. Not that I think she'd agree to such at thing. Nor do I think he could ever fully stay away from her (as we saw last season), but it would be just as real an option as them having to live in hiding for the rest of their lives - with Clark ever getting to be The Blur/Superman exclusively, and Lois not being able to have any life again at all.
                      And of course, this idea has been addressed several times in the source material and on LnC.

In fact, it was the central piece of the conflict between Clark and Lois (who were already married) in the episode, "Sex, Lie and Videotape" on LnC.

Clark and Lois got a bit careless and they were caught in bed together by photographer while he was wearing the Supersuit. Obviously, the whole world then thought that Superman was having an affair with a married woman and that Lois was cheating on Clark. The public turned on Superman and people were accusing him of terrible things. Lois wanted Clark to say that the picture was fake and deny it was him---she said that the world would believe him if he explained the situation. Clark wanted to let the world know that he was Superman as a way to clear Lois's name and also because he felt as though it was wrong to lie to the public.

Lois became very frustrated with him and begged him to reconsider. She said that she didn't care if people thought she was a cheater---that she could bear that. But that there was a greater truth to protect---the idea of Superman. The world needed to believe that Superman was different. And if he told them that he had a wife---that he had desires and fears just like everyone else---that vision of the hero was lost. Lois believed that Clark had to protect what it meant to be Superman. Clark fought her on it.

Lois disagreed with Clark's choice so she set out to figure out another way before he revealed himself.

But through it all---it was always clear (just as it was in this episode) that whatever Clark decided to do--she was going to stand by him. So even though she disagreed with his choice to reveal his identity to the world---she was going to be with him no matter what--even if it meant that their entire lives were literally taken away from them. But she would have been there.

Comment

Clark and lois relationship in the comics seems unrealistic and too perfect for me, that why im not a fan of sups comics myself.

Sv clark and lois are heading that way, and seem to take each other's space, especially on lois' part. I think it has toned down though in the 2nd half and she seems to be acknowledging that she needs to give clark some space . Lois in masquerade was was written well, she was supportive, but not pushy.

The problem with clark and lois is the massive difference in their personality, clark is more introspective while lois is out there, the writers need to find a middle ground where lois doesnt come of as controlling and pushy, and clark as a pushover.

Comment

]The problem with clark and lois is the massive difference in their personality, clark is more introspective while lois is out there, the writers need to find a middle ground where lois doesnt come of as controlling and pushy, and clark as a pushover
                          You've never heard of opposites attract?

The things you just listed are not problems for the characters in the narrative.

Both of these characters have expressed openly that this is what they LOVE about each other. What you've described as detractors are things that the characters have described as being part of the attraction.

And I think the show has always had a good balance with Clark and Lois and their personalities. Clark always pushes back with Lois. In the early seasons, she was really the ONLY person that he pushed back against and had a spine with. He was always a stronger man in his scenes with Lois. He's never been afraid to disagree with her. And he certainly wasn't afraid to do so in this episode. Lois is usually more emotionally honest with Clark. They both balance in each other out. She stops some of the bravado and he steps up to the plate.

Comment

@ Audrey. So I guess Clark should be hauled in by HR for being so tacky and unprofessional when he kissed Lois in Crossfire. Look, I think it's admirable you seem to defend Clark and Lois so much, God knows they have enough bashers. But I just don't think their romance has been as electrifying as it was pre-engagement - not even close. But that's my opinion; no need to get snippy.

Comment

Originally posted by Audrey229
                              I'm not "old" and I rather resent the latent insult towards older people who have been married for a long time.
                              I'm not "old" either, though I'm old enough to be the mother of a twenty something. But old is yet again subjective. I think the older you are the more you realize age does not define you , or at the very least, should not define you. Or maybe that is how one might rationalize getting one day closer to death (thank you Roger Waters).

I remember a few years ago watching the Who sing "My Generation" at the Superbowl. That song came out when I was a baby ( Hint: Obama is just a couple years older than me). I watched men in their 60s singing "Hope I die before I get old' ... uhh.. ???

That song, no matter how the Who spin it now, came from the psyche of a young person thinking it would never ever happen to them. But it does. Every single one of us, if we are very lucky, will age. And the older we get, hopefully the more we understand ourselves, including our sexuality.

This version of Clark/Lois do not, to me, act like "OLD" people, they act like secure people in love with each other. And maybe because the actors are in their thirties, this changes the dynamic? I don't know. They are supposed to be much younger than the people playing them are.

MHO, they are not pawing each other every other moment because they do not need to do so. They have the farm to themselves. They know they can have satisfying sex whenever the time is right. But there is also more to life. Sex is great and fun, and all that. But what I am seeing with this Lois and Clark is two adults who love each other but don't need to be constantly maul the other to prove it. Again, JMO and YMMV!

Comment

Lois will always be controlling about anything she is involved in. It is her personality. It would be O.O.C. if she was portrayed as the sweet, respectifull fiancee that doesn't have any opinions. It wouldn't be Lois Lane if she were that.

Maybe it is because I am used to the character of Lois Lane in other medias, but to be true to Lois' character she HAS to be protrayed like that. The difference has to be how Clark responds to it. HE is the one that has to stand for himself, and says 'Back off!'

One of the reason that has always attracted any version of Clark Kent to Lois Lane is exactly her "controlling" personality. He admires that, and likes that in a woman. It infuriates him at times, but it also intrigues him, and excites him. Lois doesn't have to be written differently than who she has always been in the show, [b]Clark[/i] is the one that has to be written as reacting as he has always reacted whenever Lois would irritate him. He has to be written as rising up and giving back as good as he gets. And when he does that, it is a pleasure to watch.

I have always thought that Lois was good for Clark, and I don't mean only in the romantic sense. Even when they were friends, I thought their interaction helped Clark to be more decisive about what he wanted. I saw that in several episodes in the past. She chalenges him, and he responds to the challenge, whether with others, he would just stay still and do whatever they wanted him to. I still believe that. Clark has been considering a secret identity for some time. In Beacon, he was already aware he needed and yet, he was just standing still and not doing anything about it. By challenging him and pushing him, Lois made him see what he was refusing to see by himself.

Her words didn't make him decide anything. In fact, her idea of secret identity was very different from his idea, and he resisted to that. Yet, her concerns were justifiable and Clark knew they were, as much as her pushing him was irritating him. She challenged him, and he responded, taking his own decision, at his own time, and in a different way she was expecting him to.
                                Last edited by liana; 02-21-2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎