No announcement yet.

Lois: Clark's mother or fiancee?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SVfanGirl
    This is why his relationship with Lana was so much better and believable. Maybe it wasn't the healthiest relationship but at least it was more romantic and believable.
    Clark was diminished so much more as a character during his on and off again relationship with Lana Lang. The way he allowed his feelings for her completely dominate his life and lead him to make some incredibly bad choices made him look terrible.

There's nothing romantic, in my eyes, about loving an idealized version of someone who doesn't exist. There's nothing romantic about never being satisfied with the person you are supposed to be in love with because you expect them to fill some role in your life that you should be filling yourself. There's nothing romantic about two people changing themselves and ignoring reality just so they can keep holding onto something they've already lost.

Lana and Clark could never be themselves around each other and they never trusted each other with their whole hearts. That's not true love and it certainly isn't romantic. Clark and Lana's relationship was believable, however, a believable tragedy. It seemed doomed from the start and it was never written in such a way to undermine that initial impression. JMO. YMMV.

Comment

• This is why his relationship with Lana was so much better and believable. Maybe it wasn't the healthiest relationship but at least it was more romantic and believable.
      Oh lord Clana was so awful. Clark lied to her for years and then she started lying to him about the horrible things she was doing like kidnapping and spying. Then she got into a month long relationship with Bizarro and couldn't tell it wasn't Clark, but actually liked him more than Clark Yeah, what a wonderful romance.

Comment

• Clana STUNK! Lana castrated Clark every chance she got. The only time she felt comfortable with being with Clark was when SHE became the superhero.

She was a liar, a kidnapper, abusive, etc. Yeah, she was a GREAT match for the future Superman...NOT!

Lois acting like a sister....a mother.... what family role are people going to assign next. Like I stated before, if my sister or mother acted towards me like Lois and Clark act, I would be running for the hills!

Se acted like any RESPONSIBLE fiancee would.

Comment

• I think both Clana and Clois are believable and relatable and both have their respective places in Clark's life.

While I have many issues with the way the show chose to handle both Lana's character and the Clana relationship, I have never doubted that their feelings for each other were sincere and I think they had many lovely moments together, particularly in the early seasons of the show. I think Clark and Lana shared the kind of love that was very young and ultimately proved to be very unhealthy for both of them. I don't believe they were ever truly able to be at peace with one another and I don't believe that either of them were their best selves with each other. That being said, I do think that their affection and feelings for each other was relatable and understandable in the sense that they were both very young and sometimes when you are young I think it can be hard to let go of something that you've held on to for a long time and hard to accept when things truly are not working.

I think Clark and Lois have established the kind of relationship that ultimately goes beyond the love of youth and will continue to burn for the rest of their lives. I don't think what they have will burn out in a flash---I think their passion and love for each other will continue to grow with each passing day as it should be in any good marriage. I think they are both at their strongest when they are together and I think they have a both a caring friendship and a deep love for each other that keeps them together. I think they adore each other but I also think they see each other realistically which is important. I have no doubt that they will be very happy together for the rest of their lives.

Both relationships have a place in Clark's life. Lana was his first love and the love of his youth. He loved her deeply but ultimately they were not able to be happy together or find peace together. Lois is the woman that he ultimately will love as his wife for the rest of his life (and yes, I do mean ::his:: life...not just until the end of Lois's life)and with her he has found true peace.

Comment

• I never got that vibe. She acts like a typical supportive mate.

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Audrey229
            I think both Clana and Clois are believable and relatable and both have their respective places in Clark's life.

While I have many issues with the way the show chose to handle both Lana's character and the Clana relationship, I have never doubted that their feelings for each other were sincere and I think they had many lovely moments together, particularly in the early seasons of the show. I think Clark and Lana shared the kind of love that was very young and ultimately proved to be very unhealthy for both of them. I don't believe they were ever truly able to be at peace with one another and I don't believe that either of them were their best selves with each other. That being said, I do think that their affection and feelings for each other was relatable and understandable in the sense that they were both very young and sometimes when you are young I think it can be hard to let go of something that you've held on to for a long time and hard to accept when things truly are not working.

I think Clark and Lois have established the kind of relationship that ultimately goes beyond the love of youth and will continue to burn for the rest of their lives. I don't think what they have will burn out in a flash---I think their passion and love for each other will continue to grow with each passing day as it should be in any good marriage. I think they are both at their strongest when they are together and I think they have a both a caring friendship and a deep love for each other that keeps them together. I think they adore each other but I also think they see each other realistically which is important. I have no doubt that they will be very happy together for the rest of their lives.

Both relationships have a place in Clark's life. Lana was his first love and the love of his youth. He loved her deeply but ultimately they were not able to be happy together or find peace together. Lois is the woman that he ultimately will love as his wife for the rest of his life (and yes, I do mean ::his:: life...not just until the end of Lois's life)and with her he has found true peace.
            Clana was the most unrealistic ship on SV. So was Lexana. Lana and Whitney were more realistic than Lana and Clark. It also was very unhealthy. Lexana wasn't supposed to be healthy, but Clana was.
            Last edited by Simba_Muffy; 02-24-2011, 10:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by hellokitty
              That is really not a very healthy kind of relationship or woman that I would want anyone, or in this case, Clark Kent, to be married to. Relationships have two sides, and that's a VERY one-sided kind of relationship. Why is it ok for Clark to be the follower, but not for Lois anyway?

And if I was engaged to the man of my dreams--who, BTW, for Lois, isn't the "all powerful Kryptonian", but CLARK KENT, who also happens to be her hero--then I'd be pretty damn smiley too.
              Very true. I don't want to see Clark the doormat at all either. There should be push and pull between Lois and Clark and in MNHO there has been. There was definite bickering in Masquerade that I loved from both sides.

Comment

• Originally posted by hellokitty
                not even in lois' highest hero-worship heyday (metallo) have i seen this on the show. They are partners (the lesson clark got from patriot) in every aspect. And she should be in awe of him. That's an aspect of her love for him, as both clark ("you're amazing smallville"--lucy) and the blur/superman ("you're an american hero, clark"--beacon). And if all those looks clark gives her everytime we see them interact don't mean he's in awe of her...well, then i guess he just has a fascination with something on her face.

lois supports him. She should support him. She's going to be his wife, and they're partners at home and at work. If she wasn't his biggest cheerleader, i'd actually start to think something was wrong. And if clark appears to be a "leader"--good. He should. But i don't see him being the "leader" and her being the "follower" in their relationship--work or personal. I've seen them work through issues and become equal partners. Hence one of the reasons i loved the scene in the loft with his disguise so much.

I just don't understand this at all.

Ok, if some are just not interested in hearing about wedding plans at all on this show, so be it, but it's going to come out at one point or another. Since icarus, we've hardly had any reference to wedding planning. A millisecond mention in collateral plus the moh question with chloe, maybe a thread of it in beacon with martha...but what logic would it be to never see lois so much as mention anything at all to do with planning their wedding? They aren't throwing an entire episode devoted to it at us, they aren't doing anywhere near what they did with lex's weddings or even chloe and jimmy's wedding. So i just don't understand why anyone complains about this.

Lois is a modern day woman and sometimes, modern women who work have to multitask and work and plan their weddings at the same time. Given what lois managed to do for chloe and jimmy, i'm not at all surprised she's taken a military style tactic--including a ceremony "battle theater"--to planning it. And if lois sniping at a caterer and strategically positioning people at their wedding is "ga-ga", then i'd really hate to see her go full-throttle "commander lois".

I understand some fans have particular opinions about how they want this couple portrayed, myself included...but i just don't see any comparison to a "mothering" hen with lois. Yes, she's softer as a character...but that's natural, and years ago the producers had told us that we'd start to see a newer, softer, more close to the mythos (in their mind, i suppose) lois lane. I believe at the beginning of season 8 is when they told everyone that.

Just like we aren't seeing the shy, unassuming clark from the pilot, but now this assured, confident, strong man, we're not seeing the defensive, abrasive lois lane we first met. She's grown and matured and she's in love. But she hasn't lost any part of herself. There's no real opportunity for it onscreen, but when there is, kick-ass lois is still there, so i just don't get the issues.

As for her "mothering" him. No. Not even in the slightest imo. From the beginning, she's busted his chops. She still does. That's not mothering or anywhere near what chloe's done for the past five years.

None of us will be completely satisfied, but i feel like they're doing a great job. And i feel that at least in masquerade, they've picked up the dynamic of lois and clark that i've felt was off for the last few episodes, so i'm happy right now with it.
                a big fat word to this!!!

Comment

This is why his relationship with Lana was so much better and believable. Maybe it wasn't the healthiest relationship but at least it was more romantic and believable.
                  I agree with this statement. Totally
                  THe relationship with Lana is way more believable. That is just my opinion. I dont want to get into a debate over this so I wont try to make my case. I will just leave it with that.

Comment

Originally posted by margarita_salt
                    I agree with this statement. Totally
                    THe relationship with Lana is way more believable. That is just my opinion. I dont want to get into a debate over this so I wont try to make my case. I will just leave it with that.
                    Since this thread isn't about which relationship is more believable, but a thread solely about Lois and Clark, I'm really confused as to why Lana's name is being dragged into it?

Comment

• Clana was the most unrealistic ship on SV. So was Lexana. Lana and Whitney were more realistic than Lana and Clark. It also was very unhealthy. Lexana wasn't supposed to be healthy, but Clana was.
                      I never said that Clana was healthy. I agree entirely that it was unhealthy. But I am still able to appreciate what they had together for that time in Clark's life. I also enjoyed Lexana and I enjoyed Lana and Whitney.

I don't personally feel the need to put down other relationships here. I'm very secure in Clark and Lois. I believe firmly that they are the healthiest relationship next to Jonathan and Martha in the history of the show and nothing will ever change my mind on that one. But I also try to really look at all the relationships as objectively as I can and appreciate them for what they were.

I'm also always happy and willing to admit my bias upfront. I love Clois. Nothing will ever come close to Clois for me. I'm never going to try and hide behind that bias or pretend it doesn't exist. We all have them. It would be ridiculous for me to say, "Clois is more believable than Clana" because...of course I would think that. I prefer Clark and Lois. I'm never going to try and hide behind my bias in an attempt to pass myself off as more objective. There is no such thing.
                      Last edited by Audrey229; 02-25-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Audrey229
                        I never said that Clana was healthy. I agree entirely that it was unhealthy. But I am still able to appreciate what they had together for that time in Clark's life. I also enjoyed Lexana and I enjoyed Lana and Whitney.

I don't personally feel the need to put down other relationships here. I'm very secure in Clark and Lois. I believe firmly that they are the healthiest relationship next to Jonathan and Martha in the history of the show and nothing will ever change my mind on that one. But I also try to really remove my bias and look at all the relationships as objectively as I can and appreciate them for what they were.

I'm also always happy and willing to admit my bias upfront. I love Clois. Nothing will ever come close to Clois for me. I'm never going to try and hide behind that bias or pretend it doesn't exist. We all have them. It would be ridiculous for me to say, "Clois is more believable than Clana" because...of course I would think that. I prefer Clark and Lois. I'm never going to try and hide behind my bias.

Ya see - this is the story of Clark Growing up - first loves are beautiful - if it's the true one great - Lana was an after thought in the comics - they already had established Clois -

Now we take beautiful KK - and try to make her character into something that it wasn't was a dis-service to both the actress and the story line.

It's Lois Lane -

In one story Superman seached the Universe until he found her -

It was just hard to watch the way TPTB chose to portray it.

IMHO

Now Lois as his mother - eh - maybe not

Peace\

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍